Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256484 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. 10 Years of "Blackbird"
« Reply #1645 on: November 25, 2017, 06:54:26 AM »
Just saw them for the 7th time last night at HOB Orlando. What can I say? These guys never disappoint, and last night was no exception. Truly amazing show! A few highlights... Waters Rising was bad fucking ass live! Who else has the lead guitarist sing lead vocals and then have someone like Myles kick in the chorus? I almost cried during Myles solo acoustic Watch Over You, and then Mark pulled up a stool and joined in for In Loving Memory, and I sang every lyric to the song along with EVERY other person in the building (ODR has a special place in my heart). Myles truly amazing performance of the night (even though he came out as a powerhouse IMMEDIATELY) was Crows on a Wire. Oh, and they played Fortress, which makes me happy  :hat.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1646 on: November 25, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
I'd love to see them play Fortress live, that's a top 5 AB track for me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1647 on: November 25, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »
Just saw them for the 7th time last night at HOB Orlando. What can I say? These guys never disappoint, and last night was no exception. Truly amazing show! A few highlights... Waters Rising was bad fucking ass live! Who else has the lead guitarist sing lead vocals and then have someone like Myles kick in the chorus? I almost cried during Myles solo acoustic Watch Over You, and then Mark pulled up a stool and joined in for In Loving Memory, and I sang every lyric to the song along with EVERY other person in the building (ODR has a special place in my heart). Myles truly amazing performance of the night (even though he came out as a powerhouse IMMEDIATELY) was Crows on a Wire. Oh, and they played Fortress, which makes me happy  :hat.

Good stuff man!  :metal

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1648 on: January 13, 2018, 11:06:22 PM »
Lost In Vegas did a reaction video to Blackbird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0dXMrOAiI

Lost In Vegas is a YouTube reaction channel that has been getting a lot of noise in the music community...mainly the metal community. They are two guys who are Hip-Hop heads who wanted to expand their musical boundaries that included metal, country, R&B, etc. They call themselves "Free Thinkers" with their unbiased, real time reactions. This is no ordinary reaction channel. Their thoughts are insightful, provoking, and funny at times! They have gotten big enough to where Dave Mustaine, Gojira, Tom Morello, and Phil Anselmo have given them shout outs on YouTube and Twitter.

They loved the song, and I think you will love their commentary as well  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1649 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:24 AM »
That was great! I've seen several of their videos and that was one of the few where you could tell they were blown away. Now I have to go to listen to blackbird.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1650 on: January 15, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
That was a great video, awesome that they liked the song so much!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1651 on: January 15, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
love Lost in Vegas.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1652 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:53 AM »
Great video!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1653 on: May 23, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »
Lost In Vegas did another Alter Bridge reaction, this time to CRY OF ACHILLES!

https://youtu.be/vAwgCQ462Qs

I’ve heard this song thousands of times, but watching them hear it for their first time got me hyped! Probably since I first heard it my first few times!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1654 on: May 24, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
Lost In Vegas did another Alter Bridge reaction, this time to CRY OF ACHILLES!

https://youtu.be/vAwgCQ462Qs

I’ve heard this song thousands of times, but watching them hear it for their first time got me hyped! Probably since I first heard it my first few times!

I watched this late last night and smiled the whole time. Great video and great reaction to an incredible song. I'm glad they continue to love AB tunes.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1655 on: May 24, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »
Loved the video and I too have wondered why this band isn't huge in the US.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1656 on: July 09, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »
All right, guys.  It's happening.  The first teaser of the Royal Albert Hall shows.

Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall Featuring The Parallax Orchestra (OFFICIAL TEASER)

It is stated to be a September 7th 2018 release.  2 CDs plus a 1 DVD with some interviews/behind the scenes footage in between songs.

Now to hope this does not get delayed or shelved like other AB DVD releases.  Probably won't since Napalm Records is involved in this and they did a smooth job with the O2 Arena live CD.  I expect no difference with this one.  The guys that filmed this were the guys that also filmed the O2 Arena footage shots of the Cradle to the Grave and The Other Side videos and I liked the way those look so that bodes well for this DVD.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1657 on: July 09, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »
Come on guys, 3 minute teaser and no actual song footage :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1658 on: July 09, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »
All right, guys.  It's happening.  The first teaser of the Royal Albert Hall shows.

Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall Featuring The Parallax Orchestra (OFFICIAL TEASER)

It is stated to be a September 7th 2018 release.  2 CDs plus a 1 DVD with some interviews/behind the scenes footage in between songs.

Now to hope this does not get delayed or shelved like other AB DVD releases.  Probably won't since Napalm Records is involved in this and they did a smooth job with the O2 Arena live CD.  I expect no difference with this one.  The guys that filmed this were the guys that also filmed the O2 Arena footage shots of the Cradle to the Grave and The Other Side videos and I liked the way those look so that bodes well for this DVD.

Couple of things - really cool trailer for starters, I'd watch a documentary about this show like that for hours. I'm not too worried about the video quality or the "look" of the show, I'm worried about the audio quality the "sound" of the show. The O2 stuff was not good. If that's the standard, this is going to be a missed opportunity.

Oh and...

Come on guys, 3 minute teaser and no actual song footage :lol :lol

This!  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1659 on: July 10, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
2 CDs/1 DVD? No Blu-ray?  :-[ No LPs?  :-[

I am really excited for this one. I bought a promotional poster from this gig, and had the AB guys sign it in Spokane last December. It is framed, but I was waiting until the show actually came out. Now that it is, I'll put it up. Looking forward to seeing the gig and pre-ordering later this week. Fingers crossed for some good bundles or something.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1660 on: July 10, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »
Oh, there will be a blu-ray option. It's just when I typically type DVD, I'm basically mentioning that there will be video footage.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1661 on: July 10, 2018, 12:22:43 PM »
2 CDs/1 DVD? No Blu-ray?  :-[ No LPs?  :-[

I am really excited for this one. I bought a promotional poster from this gig, and had the AB guys sign it in Spokane last December. It is framed, but I was waiting until the show actually came out. Now that it is, I'll put it up. Looking forward to seeing the gig and pre-ordering later this week. Fingers crossed for some good bundles or something.

This site makes it seem like it's a DVD/2 CD/Blu-Ray package...?

https://www.nervegas.com.au/alter-bridge-alter-bridge-live-at-the-royal-albert

Not sure why I'd want a DVD and a Blu-ray, but I'm guessing AB will offer different packaging options. There is supposed to be more info this Friday.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: July 10, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
Oh, there will be a blu-ray option. It's just when I typically type DVD, I'm basically mentioning that there will be video footage.

Got it! :)

Can't wait!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1663 on: July 11, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »
Cant wait for this!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1664 on: July 12, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »
The Royal Albert Hall version of Addicted to Pain is now out on Spotify.  I guess a video teaser is imminent.

I'm not that great at comparing sound qualities so I'll let you guys decide which version of Addicted to Pain is better.  The one they did for the O2 Arena CD or the one at the Royal Albert Hall.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1665 on: July 13, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »
Listened to Addicted to Pain from it...

Performance is great, as expected. Sound quality....is really not. It's probably great for people who don't care much, but it was hard for me to listen to. The drums sound pretty meh, very little kick drum, lots of cymbals and a weak sounding snare. The guitars sound like huge rock n roll guitars, which clash too much with the orchestra. They needed a different mix approach to work with an orchestra, but they just did the typical live rock n roll band thing, which doesn't blend well with an orchestra.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1666 on: July 13, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
YouTube video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6U-5BCDVK8

For some reason the audio on YouTube sounds WAY better than Spotify, usually it's the other way around.

Edit - also the video work is great.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
Got my pre-orders in. Did the white vinyl bundle on the AB website, and then a standard skull t-shirt/CD-Bluray bundle through Napalm Records (that one is for my wife, but I keep that shirt, since she hates wearing men's shirts). Looking forward to it. "Words Darker Than Their Wings" and "The End is Here" are two of my favorite AB songs. Not to mention the incredibly underrated "Lover." I was lucky enough to see the former in Spokane last December (and Myles NAILED that note at the end, so awesome), although I have never seen them do The End is Here or Lover.

I got into AB when a friend passed along the song "Metalingus" to me in 2004, and I was blown away and became a huge fan right away. AB never toured near me during that cycle, unfortunately. But I made up for it since, having seen them five times (1x on Blackbird tour - Spokane, 2x on AB III - Seattle & San Francisco, 1x on Fortress - San Francisco, and 1x on The Last Hero - Spokane). Wish I could have made more shows than five, but I'm really happy I've been able to see them live a bunch. They're a band my wife and I still travel for a bit when we can (I also travel for Fates Warning).

For us, as old school original Queensryche fans, they are the closest thing to original QR we've ever heard. That blend of intelligent hard rock/metal, operatic singing, and two very distinct guitarists that blend together brilliantly. As everyone invested in this thread knows, AB is just plain awesome.

Bring on September!  :metal
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:55:21 AM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1668 on: July 13, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Big, big Myles fan (though I prefer him solo or with Slash than with Tremonti) but of all the nice things one can say about him and AB, "like Queensryche" would never have occurred to me. 

I can listen to Myles sing a spam email and love it, but musically, too much of AB just sounds...  generic to me.   Like it could be any of three or four different bands with Myles singing on it.   That's not QR to me. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1669 on: July 13, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
^^ What kind of three or four different bands are you referring to?  To me, I can't think of any modern contemporaries, except maybe A7X, can create such intricate, epic stuff like Blackbird, Cry of Achilles, Brand New Start, Fortress, Calm The Fire, Cradle to the Grave, etc. and still retain creating catchy good Active Rock radio singles like Isolation and Addicted to Pain.  They are far from a generic band to me in comparison to their contemporaries (Halestorm, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, etc.) and I have heard of lot of bands in the Active Radio format and I feel like AB shines above all of them (even if they don't get the radio love like other bands).

This band doesn't mean a lot to you, Stadler?  That's fine, but this band means to me and as much I like seeing Myles solo (and he's really great at that), I prefer if Alter Bridge is active all the time, especially over Slash's solo band (which is good as well, but I feel that Myles seems a bit restricted of what he can do there compared to solo and AB).  I remember a list of bands I really liked 10 years ago, and surprisingly, looking back now, there's only one band I still really like to this day and you guess it.  It's this one and I'm excited for this DVD and the next journey for this band.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:37:14 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
Big, big Myles fan (though I prefer him solo or with Slash than with Tremonti) but of all the nice things one can say about him and AB, "like Queensryche" would never have occurred to me. 

I can listen to Myles sing a spam email and love it, but musically, too much of AB just sounds...  generic to me.   Like it could be any of three or four different bands with Myles singing on it.   That's not QR to me.

Stads -- go listen to "Screaming in Digital" and pay attention to the guitar solo. Then go to the AB song "Fortress," listen to the solo.

Myles is the DeGarmo/Tate, whereas Tremonti is the Wilton.

Like Queensryche, AB music has this understated complexity that balances aggression, melody, and technicality with pop sensibility (compare, for example, My Champion with Jet City Woman). And then, as Anguyen92 pointed out, AB can do epic tunes as well, a hallmark of Queensryche too. There are many similarities between them. I don't at all think Alter Bridge's music is "generic." Far from it. But tastes vary, of course.

It's been a lot of fun on the Alter Bridge ride, watching them all mature and get better. Looking forward to the future.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1671 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »

It's interesting you prefer him with Slash over AB and find AB generic. I think most would say the Slash stuff is pretty generic hard rock and the AB stuff is his more adventurous, epic side. Oh and I've never though AB could be compared to QR (thank God).

^^ What kind of three or four different bands are you referring to?  To me, I can't think of any modern contemporaries, except maybe A7X, can create such intricate, epic stuff like Blackbird, Cry of Achilles, Brand New Start, Fortress, Calm The Fire, Cradle to the Grave, etc. and still retain creating catchy good Active Rock radio singles like Isolation and Addicted to Pain.  They are far from a generic band to me in comparison to their contemporaries (Halestorm, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, etc.) and I have heard of lot of bands in the Active Radio format and I feel like AB shines above all of them (even if they don't get the radio love like other bands).

This band doesn't mean a lot to you, Stadler?  That's fine, but this band means to me and as much I like seeing Myles solo (and he's really great at that), I prefer if Alter Bridge is active all the time, especially over Slash's solo band (which is good as well, but I feel that Myles seems a bit restricted of what he can do there compared to solo and AB).  I remember a list of bands I really liked 10 years ago, and surprisingly, looking back now, there's only one band I still really like to this day and you guess it.  It's this one and I'm excited for this DVD and the next journey for this band.

Relax man, everyone's got preferences, for the record I agree with you but Stadler might not and that's okay.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1672 on: July 13, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »
Stads -- go listen to "Screaming in Digital" and pay attention to the guitar solo. Then go to the AB song "Fortress," listen to the solo.

Myles is the DeGarmo/Tate, whereas Tremonti is the Wilton.

Like Queensryche, AB music has this understated complexity that balances aggression, melody, and technicality with pop sensibility (compare, for example, My Champion with Jet City Woman). And then, as Anguyen92 pointed out, AB can do epic tunes as well, a hallmark of Queensryche too. There are many similarities between them. I don't at all think Alter Bridge's music is "generic." Far from it. But tastes vary, of course.

It's been a lot of fun on the Alter Bridge ride, watching them all mature and get better. Looking forward to the future.

Yeah, respectfully I don't really see many similarities between AB and QR. I think I get what you are saying, I just don't hear it. The biggest difference to me is that Myles is not an operatic singer. He does do the high rock tenor vocal thing - but not operatic at all - Tate was.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1673 on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »
Relax man, everyone's got preferences, for the record I agree with you but Stadler might not and that's okay.

I apologize. When people throw the generic tag to Alter Bridge, I get a little testy about that.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: July 13, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »

Yeah, respectfully I don't really see many similarities between AB and QR. I think I get what you are saying, I just don't hear it. The biggest difference to me is that Myles is not an operatic singer. He does do the high rock tenor vocal thing - but not operatic at all - Tate was.

Huh, wow. Yeah, I actually have found more people than not agree with the AB-QR similarity. But that's the beauty of it right, we hear different things. I think rhythmically, the bands are very different. Scott provides a very Rush feel, whereas Flip is a more straight ahead drummer. But the guitar interplay and style of songs they write (both musically and lyrically, depending on the track) are very similar. Regarding Myles and Geoff, yeah, both are tenors, but whereas Geoff's operatic wails were pushed up higher in the mix, Myles' are there too, but much lower in the mix, as to not feature them (except in certain spots, like Words Darker Than Their Wings). If you listen intently to Myles backing vocals, he has a ton of notes that are operatic. You're right, he's not an operatic-style vocalist (probably due to the guitar being his instrument of choice), but he does do operatic notes throughout the AB catalog.

But depending on what you're looking for, the similarities are there. Admittedly, though, I asked both Mark and Myles at meet and greets, and both said QR was never really an influence. But they both said how a number of people had told them how similar they are to QR, and were intrigued by the comparison.

Regardless, AB kicks a ton of ass. LOL.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1675 on: July 13, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
I apologize. When people throw the generic tag to Alter Bridge, I get a little testy about that.

It's all good, I get it. You're passionate about the band.

Huh, wow. Yeah, I actually have found more people than not agree with the AB-QR similarity. But that's the beauty of it right, we hear different things. I think rhythmically, the bands are very different. Scott provides a very Rush feel, whereas Flip is a more straight ahead drummer. But the guitar interplay and style of songs they write (both musically and lyrically, depending on the track) are very similar. Regarding Myles and Geoff, yeah, both are tenors, but whereas Geoff's operatic wails were pushed up higher in the mix, Myles' are there too, but much lower in the mix, as to not feature them (except in certain spots, like Words Darker Than Their Wings). If you listen intently to Myles backing vocals, he has a ton of notes that are operatic. You're right, he's not an operatic-style vocalist (probably due to the guitar being his instrument of choice), but he does do operatic notes throughout the AB catalog.

Yeah Flip brings a much more straight-ahead hard rock feel on drums. In terms of Myles' vocals, even on his high notes, I never personally get the "operatic" feel to them, he always just sounds like a hard rock tenor that has range. If you hear operatic styling to his voice, that's cool I just never have.

But depending on what you're looking for, the similarities are there. Admittedly, though, I asked both Mark and Myles at meet and greets, and both said QR was never really an influence. But they both said how a number of people had told them how similar they are to QR, and were intrigued by the comparison.

Now that's really interesting. I've never heard them mention QR, so I'm not surprised they don't consider them an influence but if other fans are saying it, maybe there is something there.

Anywho.... I've watched Addicted to Pain on YouTube several times and the mix is settling in for me a little. It's waaaaaayyy better than what I heard on Spotify, so that's weird, but the mix on the YouTube video is pretty good. Mark's tone is messy like usual, and the cymbals are a little harsh at points, but sonically it's not band. It's hard to judge the orchestra on this track, once we hear a ballad, or something with more breathing room I think we will see the full impact of the orchestra. That said, the parts I could hear were cool.

I'll be pre-ordering the Bluray/CD pack thing for sure.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1676 on: July 13, 2018, 01:41:48 PM »

A7X was the first thing that came to mind.   I'm talking about the music, but it's that detuned chugging rhythm with the growling bass; the intro riff (repeated in between the lines of the verses) on Metalingus fits the bill as an example.  For reference, it's a similar sounding riiff/rhythm that is in "Coming Home" by Sons of Apollo. 

Please don't take offense; I'm not questioning your dedication, and I'm glad you have that to fall back on.  I love Myles; I went and saw his solo show and was blown away.  Other than him dusting us out on the sidewalk (haha) it was a transcendent show.   I get it.  I just feel that he's bringing something new with his solo stuff and with Slash.  If you feel different, that's awesome!  Cry Of Achilles is an amazing song.   Probably my favorite AB song and one of my favorites of all time.  I just think Tremonti - while very good, technically - is one of many, and Slash and Myles are unique spirits.   My thought, my opinion only.  I don't expect anyone to share it or agree with it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: July 16, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
One of my biggest hopes for the next AB record is that they shake things up a little - try using someone other than Elvis to produce and mix, and change up the songwriting formula they've been using (Mark and Myles simply listen to the riffs each recorded over the last year or so, and then do the mashup thing). I think that served them well with Fortress, but not as well on The Last Hero. I love TLH (my complaint on that is more mastering than anything, as it seems hot), but the songs really could use some atmosphere, which is usually through giving them time to develop, not just pounding through writing sessions. That may introduce a little more variety and dynamics to their current sound. Like I said, I still love TLH. I think Cradle to the Grave, My Champion and Show Me a Leader are STELLAR, and among the best in the catalog. But everything else sorta blends, which means its time to let things breathe a bit, change up tempos, look at different ways to expand the sound.

Looking forward to what they come up with.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1678 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
One of my biggest hopes for the next AB record is that they shake things up a little - try using someone other than Elvis to produce and mix, and change up the songwriting formula they've been using (Mark and Myles simply listen to the riffs each recorded over the last year or so, and then do the mashup thing). I think that served them well with Fortress, but not as well on The Last Hero. I love TLH (my complaint on that is more mastering than anything, as it seems hot), but the songs really could use some atmosphere, which is usually through giving them time to develop, not just pounding through writing sessions. That may introduce a little more variety and dynamics to their current sound. Like I said, I still love TLH. I think Cradle to the Grave, My Champion and Show Me a Leader are STELLAR, and among the best in the catalog. But everything else sorta blends, which means its time to let things breathe a bit, change up tempos, look at different ways to expand the sound.

Looking forward to what they come up with.

I generally agree. TLH has some really good songs and a handful of tracks that kinda all blend together. I totally agree about Elvis, I don't expect them to change producers, but I think it would be beneficial for the band on a songwriting front and a sonic front.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1679 on: July 23, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
Official Trailer to the Royal Albert Hall DVD.  Including the ending to Words Darker Than Their Wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx7uoFt-Tk