Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256488 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. 10 Years of "Blackbird"
« Reply #1575 on: July 28, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
They have released a video on their Youtube page that has the audio of The Other Side from the upcoming live album CD and they incorporate some footage from their show at the O2 Arena and at the Download Festival. 

The footage looks so good.  Why couldn't they just do a live DVD at the O2 Arena with the production team that filmed this?  I hope if the Royal Albert Hall shows are officially filmed that they just go with the team that filmed this footage and along with the audio that The Other Side has and we should be golden.  Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8d0zPcQFms&ab_channel=AlterBridge

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1576 on: July 29, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
Wow yeah I agree, the video footage from the O2 Looks really good, why would they film it and only release the audio as a live CD and not just do a DVD? Weird.

Also - I love this band with all my heart but if that's the official audio that they are releasing, I'm totally disappointed. That is not a good mix. It sounds like a soundboard mix someone did some quick tweaking to after the fact and that's it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1577 on: August 09, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
Bump and double post I guess...

I saw Alter Bridge last night in Columbus, OH at a venue called the Newport Music Hall (I've seen DT there before). Really, really great show. The band sounded absolutely killer and the crowd was super into it. 

Here was the set, it was a good mix of staples, they didn't play anything too adventurous like TLH or This Side of Fate, but it was still fantastic -

The Writing on the Wall
Come to Life
Farther Than the Sun
Addicted to Pain
White Knuckles
Ghosts of Days Gone By
Cry of Achilles
My Champion
Ties That Bind
Crows on a Wire
Waters Rising
Watch Over You (Myles solo acoustic)
Isolation
Blackbird
Open Your Eyes
Metalingus

Encore:
Show Me a Leader
(Dueling Guitar Solos)
Rise Today

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1578 on: August 09, 2017, 08:17:47 AM »
Great set, but they still haven't played Cradle to the Grave??

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1579 on: August 09, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
Great set, but they still haven't played Cradle to the Grave??

I don't think they have. My only let down was that they didn't play more off the new record.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »
Bump and double post I guess...

I saw Alter Bridge last night in Columbus, OH at a venue called the Newport Music Hall (I've seen DT there before). Really, really great show. The band sounded absolutely killer and the crowd was super into it. 

Here was the set, it was a good mix of staples, they didn't play anything too adventurous like TLH or This Side of Fate, but it was still fantastic -

The Writing on the Wall
Come to Life
Farther Than the Sun
Addicted to Pain
White Knuckles
Ghosts of Days Gone By
Cry of Achilles
My Champion
Ties That Bind
Crows on a Wire
Waters Rising
Watch Over You (Myles solo acoustic)
Isolation
Blackbird
Open Your Eyes
Metalingus

Encore:
Show Me a Leader
(Dueling Guitar Solos)
Rise Today
I really wanted to go to that show. Just couldn't get off work in time to make the drive to Columbus. Well, I probably could've made it, but I would've been stuck in the very back behind a bunch of people that are no doubt taller than me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1581 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:46 AM »
I really wanted to go to that show. Just couldn't get off work in time to make the drive to Columbus. Well, I probably could've made it, but I would've been stuck in the very back behind a bunch of people that are no doubt taller than me.

We got there around 7ish. They opened doors at 6:30 and the first band went on a little after 7. AB didn't go on till around 8:30 probably. The nice thing was that until about 20 minutes before AB went on, the back portion of the floor had a good amount of space, so we could kinda shift around and get good vantage points.

By the time AB went on it was pretty full though.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1582 on: August 18, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
The O2 Arena versions of Metalingus and The Other Side is on Spotify now.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1583 on: August 27, 2017, 02:01:26 AM »
This is sort of Alter Bridge related, but Mark, Flip, and Brian dropped "My Own Prison" with Creed 20 years ago today. There's some solid stuff on that record, like Torn, Pity For A Dime, the title track, What's This Life For, and Ode which is one of my top ten favorite Tremonti riffs. A super raw sounding album that they only recorded for 5 grand. Tremonti had long hair back then too  :lol

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:09:36 AM by Accelerando »

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1584 on: August 27, 2017, 04:54:50 AM »
This is sort of Alter Bridge related, but Mark, Flip, and Brian dropped "My Own Prison" with Creed 20 years ago today. There's some solid stuff on that record, like Torn, Pity For A Dime, the title track, What's This Life For, and Ode which is one of my top ten favorite Tremonti riffs. A super raw sounding album that they only recorded for 5 grand. Tremonti had long hair back then too  :lol

You named all my favourites of the album

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1585 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »
I loved Creed, and I am not ashamed at all to admit it. Stapp evolved into a jackass eventually, before now continuing to battle his demons and recovering. But the band and vibe were amazing.

I saw them just prior to them exploding in popularity. I saw them in 1999, right before Human Clay dropped, at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC with Our Lady Peace and another band opening. Captivating. Incredible show. I saw Creed again twice more, once at Nassau Coliseum on the Weathered tour (not as good) and then a few years back at an outdoor amphitheater (very good performance).

I am very glad they broke apart, because Alter Bridge is by far a superior band, and one of my all time favorites. But Creed was really good.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:48:44 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: August 27, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
My Own Prison is a great album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1587 on: August 28, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
This performance of Torn is one of my all time favorite live videos from them, next to their Woodstock 99 show. Great atmosphere, awesome crowd, and solid vocal performance from Stapp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnP6U2nyVvc

Unfortunately, I never saw them live, and with how things are going, I probably will never. But I keep hearing how great they were live before Weathered dropped, when their behind the scenes issues started to become public (Remember that Chicago show where Stapp performance intoxicated and passed out on stage in 2002?)

I'll never understand the flack Creed got. Their first two albums were solid gold.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1588 on: August 28, 2017, 07:03:54 PM »
I love Creed.

I can say my main complaint about them was their reaction to the insane success of Arms Wide Open. The album right after was like half filled with attempts to recreate that type of song, and it was a bit annoying.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1589 on: August 28, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
This performance of Torn is one of my all time favorite live videos from them, next to their Woodstock 99 show. Great atmosphere, awesome crowd, and solid vocal performance from Stapp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnP6U2nyVvc

Wow they're young. That looks like Scott Stap playing with a teenage Creed cover band haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1590 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
I'll never understand the flack Creed got. Their first two albums were solid gold.

People are just idiots that loves to get on the hate of something for whatever stupid reason.  Same reason why they hate Nickelback.  Same reason why they hate Linkin Park (now they don't hate them as much since Chester's passing).  They made some songs that were very good sounding and catchy that became a very huge hit and got overplayed and people started hating them and making them meme jokes against them.

I will say this, people hating Creed for what Stapp did at that Chicago show, that's pretty reasonable.  It probably hurt Mark as well since Chicago shows are always big shows to him (in any band whether it is AB, Creed, or Tremonti) since his two brothers and father lives there and he's got family there.

Would I want Creed to reunite in the future?  Honestly, personally no.  I love what Mark's doing with AB and Tremonti and he certainly loves it as well (even if those bands doesn't bring as much financial security for him like Creed could).  I probably wouldn't get too hyped for Creed as much as AB or Tremonti.

Anywho, back to AB news.  Well, the live album comes out in 11 days.  Also, AB announced a show in Biloxi, Mississippi on December 1st.  Another US leg has to loom near and I hope it's long enough to close out this album cycle of The Last Hero.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1591 on: August 31, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »
Blackbird from the live album has been released on outlets like Spotify and iTunes.  Of course, it naturally sounds great and the crowd was into it, of course.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1592 on: September 04, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »
If they announce  more US dates I hope they have another one in Los Angeles, or somewhere else in Southern California!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: September 04, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

People are just idiots that loves to get on the hate of something for whatever stupid reason.  Same reason why they hate Nickelback.  Same reason why they hate Linkin Park (now they don't hate them as much since Chester's passing).  They made some songs that were very good sounding and catchy that became a very huge hit and got overplayed and people started hating them and making them meme jokes against them.

I will say this, people hating Creed for what Stapp did at that Chicago show, that's pretty reasonable.  It probably hurt Mark as well since Chicago shows are always big shows to him (in any band whether it is AB, Creed, or Tremonti) since his two brothers and father lives there and he's got family there.

Would I want Creed to reunite in the future?  Honestly, personally no.  I love what Mark's doing with AB and Tremonti and he certainly loves it as well (even if those bands doesn't bring as much financial security for him like Creed could).  I probably wouldn't get too hyped for Creed as much as AB or Tremonti.

Anywho, back to AB news.  Well, the live album comes out in 11 days.  Also, AB announced a show in Biloxi, Mississippi on December 1st.  Another US leg has to loom near and I hope it's long enough to close out this album cycle of The Last Hero.

As someone who liked creed but is out of the loop, what happened it Chicago?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1594 on: September 04, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
As someone who liked creed but is out of the loop, what happened it Chicago?

Back around December 2002, Creed played a show in Chicago.  Scott Stapp apparently was really out of his state of mind and looked very incoherent throughout the show.  He took a nap, I believe, during the show.  Apparently, left the stage about three songs in and Mark, Flip, and Brett Hestla (Creed's touring bassist at the time) filled the time doing some improvisational instrumentals I think.  Also, the band got sued by fans that was at that show.  Blabbermouth had some reports of what happened.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/creed-frontman-high-out-of-his-mind-nearly-falls-off-stage-at-chicago-gig/

That pretty much sowed the seeds for the end of Creed back then, and Mark and Flip decided, at first, to quit the band, but both of them encouraged the other to keep going in making music and they decided to make a new band.  That band worked out really well for them..................

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: September 04, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
Oh wow!!! I think I remember hearing about the lawsuit (or attempted lawsuit).

Jesus that was back in 2002?!?!? Where does the time go.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: September 11, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
That 2002 tour was for Weathered. I really enjoy that record by Creed. I had seen Creed once before at that point, at the aforementioned show at Hammerstein Ballroom at the very beginning of the Human Clay tour, before they became an arena act. Well, I was expecting a great show in 2002 at Nassau Coliseum. What I got was disappointing, to say the least. Stapp was OK, if I recall correctly, but clearly not as engaging as he was a few years before that. The band had a couple of big video screens, and the songs were good, but the show just lacked a lot of energy.

I remember Cantrell opening and he and Comes with the Fall (who served as his backing band, and William Duvall went on to join Alice in Chains later) put on a great set, and Creed just being a bit of a let down. And then all the drama ensued.

On a much more positive note, however, I got my Earbook of the Live at O2 and Rarities box set from Alter Bridge on Friday. Really good stuff. Enjoyed the documentary and currently enjoying the live show. Alter Bridge is my favorite band at this point in time, with Fates Warning being up there too, based on its recent release. AB just slays, and watching the documentary...its weird. It's just a band that you can "believe in."

Very little drama, all about the music, the singer doesn't have a huge ego, and they are all pretty honest and heartfelt in how they answer questions and talk about what they have with Alter Bridge. It reminds me of the 80s and early 90s with Queensryche. It just felt good to have my faith in Alter Bridge as a band re-affirmed, and it usually is, every time they do something. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1597 on: September 21, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
Here's a fun little game for us to do before awaiting how the Royal Albert Hall shows with an orchestra will go.

The conductor of the orchestra, Simon Dobson, posted a picture on instagram making some last minute preparations before the show and he had a sheet of paper that had the setlist on it, but it looked illegible.  However, someone in the AB Nation forums, zoomed in enough where some of the titles look legible enough to make out.  Here's the instagram picture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZTPY4HDAVi/?hl=nl&taken-by=this_machine_kills_fascists_

Here's the zoomed in version.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1598 on: September 21, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
Well

Slip To The Void is first.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1599 on: September 21, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
Oh cool they're playing that song where they strum chords in a 4/4 groove for the chorus!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1600 on: September 21, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »
AND the one where sorrow is rhymed with tomorrow! :D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1601 on: September 22, 2017, 08:56:41 AM »
Oh cool they're playing that song where they strum chords in a 4/4 groove for the chorus!

:lol Enter Adami's issue with Mark Tremonti.

As for the set - it looks like Slip is first, but I have no clue on much else really. I'm guessing it'll be staples with a couple treats thrown in like The End is Here, Fortress, TLH, maybe a couple more vibey songs like Burn It Down, etc... Oh and Words.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
I can't wait for this to come out on Blu-ray. I am hoping that they bring some of the treats back for the last leg. I am seeing them on the last gig of the tour. I thought I was going to miss this album cycle, and thankfully, I am not.

I can see:

Slip to the Void
Addicted to Pain
Before Tomorrow Comes

>>>>>>>>>Those are the first three, and nothing is a surprise there. The goodies are down in the set, and I just can't make em out.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1603 on: September 22, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
Super stoked to get my tickets for Orlando. Show number 7 across 13 years, and we're approaching the idea that this could be my last chance. I fully anticipate new music, but you never know how the touring schedule is gonna go.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1604 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »

:lol Enter Adami's issue with Mark Tremonti.

As for the set - it looks like Slip is first, but I have no clue on much else really. I'm guessing it'll be staples with a couple treats thrown in like The End is Here, Fortress, TLH, maybe a couple more vibey songs like Burn It Down, etc... Oh and Words.

Gotta give the dude credit. Despite me being super annoyed that he writes the same chorus over and over, I still own and love every Creed, Alter Bridge, and Trenonti album.

Maybe same reason I still love ac/dc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1605 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
Looks like writing on the wall and cry of achilles is after the first 3

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1606 on: September 22, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »
Gotta give the dude credit. Despite me being super annoyed that he writes the same chorus over and over, I still own and love every Creed, Alter Bridge, and Trenonti album.

Maybe same reason I still love ac/dc.

:lol For sure. He found his formula and sticks to it in that regard. Still love his playing though.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1607 on: October 01, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
Someone took a much clearer picture of the setlist for the Royal Albert Hall shows that starts tomorrow.  I think this is honestly quite the setlist for them and should go well with the orchestra if its correct.  Five of the longest songs that AB has composed is on it and it looks like they have forego some of their singles and most well-known songs (Isolation, Metalingus, Rise Today, etc.).

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNmnjcg-By7zZg05F6p7pMHQZbUdgrwuIs4Yp3btZa0nOhO76S8SvqRo1WdN5m09w?key=QVlOSXdMWVdScEhMOEtLOGJPdC1PWFNNem03NEVB

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: October 02, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
It's also a damn good length. 21 songs in total, including the what you mentioned that most of their longer songs are in the set. VERY cool. Can't wait for the Blu-ray. And to see them -- December!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1609 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
Agree, this will be a day one blu ray purchase.