Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256536 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. 10 Years of "Blackbird"
« Reply #1540 on: June 02, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »
Is the box a big box like 12in x 12in or is it a smaller size? Not sure what to get: the box or the earbook.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1541 on: June 02, 2017, 08:42:55 AM »
Is the box a big box like 12in x 12in or is it a smaller size? Not sure what to get: the box or the earbook.

Not sure, I'm deciding between the deluxe box and the earbook because it looks like those are the only options that include the DVD documentary? Unless I'm missing something... I definitely want the documentary so those are my choices. The extras that come with the box don't really interest me, so it comes down to packaging. I wish there was more info on the earbook, not sure which to get.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1542 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Get the earbook. If you don't want all the little junk in the box, then no point in getting that set. Just get the earbook.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1543 on: June 02, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »
Right, my hesitation was just that the earbook was more expensive, so without any real detail on it, I might just be paying more money for the same 4 discs I could get in the deluxe box along with some extras, regardless of whether I found the extras valuable.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
I hear ya. I think the book looks to be hardbound, with some pictures and extras like that in it. Probably just better overall quality, as the other set looks to be just like a slipcase...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1545 on: June 02, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
I hear ya. I think the book looks to be hardbound, with some pictures and extras like that in it. Probably just better overall quality, as the other set looks to be just like a slipcase...

Yup, I'm just curious if there will be any text in the book, but I'm assuming just pictures. I might spring the extra couple bucks for it anyway cause like you said it'll probably be a nicer way to house the discs.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1546 on: June 12, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
I hear rumors going around that they are embarking on something big when it comes to the DVD front during The Last Hero album cycle and I hope it is true, because I like the idea of it and hope execution and planning works out for them.

Still, a live album featuring songs from The Last Hero and Fortress is good (especially, when the Milan DVD did not pan out at all), plus all of the bonus songs album makes it better.  That fact that it is from AB makes it an easy buy as well.

Yeah didn't Mark say they were going to do a live DVD concert at Royal Albert with an orchestra or something like that? Sounded pretty interesting but I haven't heard much else about it.
https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/posts/10154943576263558:0
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1547 on: June 12, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
I hear rumors going around that they are embarking on something big when it comes to the DVD front during The Last Hero album cycle and I hope it is true, because I like the idea of it and hope execution and planning works out for them.

Still, a live album featuring songs from The Last Hero and Fortress is good (especially, when the Milan DVD did not pan out at all), plus all of the bonus songs album makes it better.  That fact that it is from AB makes it an easy buy as well.

Yeah didn't Mark say they were going to do a live DVD concert at Royal Albert with an orchestra or something like that? Sounded pretty interesting but I haven't heard much else about it.
https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/posts/10154943576263558:0

Awesome!!

Here's hoping they nail the orchestral arrangements and the audio production.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: June 12, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »
Should be amazing. Hopefully Myles is on that night and they have a great Blu-ray release too.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1549 on: June 12, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
All the bonus tracks they've had over the years be available on the bonus disc is pretty awesome. That'll help me fill in the gaps.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1550 on: June 12, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »
Should be amazing. Hopefully Myles is on that night and they have a great Blu-ray release too.

i've watched the live streams their Download and Rock Am Ring shows, and he's sounding great!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1551 on: June 12, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
He has been good overall for TLH tour cycle. His range has been there and his diction has been clear.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: June 16, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
He has been good overall for TLH tour cycle. His range has been there and his diction has been clear.

From what I heard, yeah, I agree. I saw one of the last shows on the Fortress tour and Myles was the best I had ever heard him live, personally. Much better than the gigs I saw on the Blackbird and III tours. Sadly, I missed TLH tour (my wife went, however), but I'm hoping that they finally capture Myles in a live release when he's really ON. I wasn't all that impressed with Live from Wembley. Amsterdam was a little better, but his voice on those two live albums is a lot thinner than I remembered.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1553 on: June 16, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
I know some of us have been around since day 1, and then a lot of new fans with each album. For those of you that didn't get to see Myles in the ODR days, you really missed out. Myles with no guitar, just soaring vocals! And that was way before the Slash days where he polished his front​ man skills. Pure, unfiltered, no rock star showmanship (which I have no problem with). Just a talent that​ steals the show.

God damn I fucking love these guys!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1554 on: June 16, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
From what I heard, yeah, I agree. I saw one of the last shows on the Fortress tour and Myles was the best I had ever heard him live, personally. Much better than the gigs I saw on the Blackbird and III tours. Sadly, I missed TLH tour (my wife went, however), but I'm hoping that they finally capture Myles in a live release when he's really ON. I wasn't all that impressed with Live from Wembley. Amsterdam was a little better, but his voice on those two live albums is a lot thinner than I remembered.

I think the Amsterdam DVD was a good performance, BB (song) was incredible, New Way to Live was amazing, the Robert Johnson thing was very impressive, and I think that version of Watch Over You from that DVD still stands as my favorite performance of that song. I agree his vocals on Wembley were a step down from that - I see that as a combination of three things (1) the vocal production did not do him any favors (if a guys voice sounds thin, you can thicken it up), (2) they were at the end of a very, very long tour cycle and he had done Slash stuff before that as well so I think his voice was just tired, and (3) the ABIII tour was probably his worst vocally due in part to bad tempos from the band. They fixed the tempo issues since by playing to click and his vocal delivery had improved greatly because of that.

I know some of us have been around since day 1, and then a lot of new fans with each album. For those of you that didn't get to see Myles in the ODR days, you really missed out. Myles with no guitar, just soaring vocals! And that was way before the Slash days where he polished his front​ man skills. Pure, unfiltered, no rock star showmanship (which I have no problem with). Just a talent that​ steals the show.

Honestly, for me it was a give and take. I'd say that era had pros and cons. The biggest pro for me was Myles' voice seemed to have much, much more body to it back then, his tone had more depth, and he could concentrate on nothing but singing without worrying about playing guitar. Ironically, him not playing guitar is also a con for me. Once they integrated his guitar playing into the band on BB, I feel like they really found what I consider the great AB sound, a balance of Myles and Mark's writing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: June 16, 2017, 10:18:32 AM »

I was a fan in the ODR days for sure. Hearing the title track cemented me. It was in 2004, and I remember getting the record when it had been out for a day or two. They never played anywhere near me on the ODR tour, however. One of my buddies in New York saw them like three times on that tour, and I was really jealous. Would have loved to have seen it. There is some footage that floats around YouTube...

Personally, I sorta miss the vibe of ODR a little bit. I love the metal, but I'd like to see them head back in that direction a little bit, and allow things to breathe a bit more. Everything is so high intensity at times. And I love Tremonti, but I'd like to see them put a little atmosphere into the next record....

Alter Bridge is my favorite current band, but I have to admit, while I like TLH, I believe Fortress to be the superior album overall.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1556 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
Alter Bridge is my favorite current band, but I have to admit, while I like TLH, I believe Fortress to be the superior album overall.

BB and Fortress are the tops for me.

Offline devieira73

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1558 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
Some interesting information by Mark:
https://www.fortitudemagazine.co.uk/music/interview-mark-tremonti-alter-bridge/30320/

Wow, if they bust out WDTTW and Fortress with the orchestra, that'll be sweeeeet.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: June 22, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
FUCK YEAH!!!! Words Darker Than Their Wings?!?!?!?!? FINALLY!!!!!

Oh man, that would be awesome. I can't wait.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
Maybe it's a bit obvious, but it is really cool that Mark is thinking in terms of a different setlist for this show, more suitable for a orchestra to perform it. It would be very interesting if this setlist be complementary in a good part to the Live at O2.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1561 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
I saw them live last saturday at Graspop in Belgium and it was the best show I've ever seen them do. Better singing than on the III and Fortress tours I've seen them on. They're on fire right now.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1562 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:21 PM »
Maybe it's a bit obvious, but it is really cool that Mark is thinking in terms of a different setlist for this show, more suitable for a orchestra to perform it. It would be very interesting if this setlist be complementary in a good part to the Live at O2.

It's going to be better.  From what I hear, it's going to be a separate DVD, as oppose to the O2 Arena show being a live CD album.  Though, I hear it's going to take a while until it comes out after the show is done.  At least a year after the show is done.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1563 on: June 23, 2017, 06:40:50 AM »

It's going to be better.  From what I hear, it's going to be a separate DVD, as oppose to the O2 Arena show being a live CD album.  Though, I hear it's going to take a while until it comes out after the show is done.  At least a year after the show is done.

Yeah, I saw that as well, that's a long lead time for a live release, but it is what it is. I'm really excited for these shows, can't wait to see what songs they play. With Mark making comments around moodier songs I'm hoping for tunes like The End Is Here, Burn It Down, Wayward One, Show Me a Sign, Lover, Cradle to the Grave, etc... songs that don't get played often or ever that fit that moody, atmospheric vibe that would align well with an orchestra.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Burn It Down with the right orchestral arrangement would be absolutely heavenly. Really hope they play that one.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1564 on: June 23, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
Oh also, sorry for the double post.... New music video for Cradle to the Grave:

https://teamrock.com/news/2017-06-23/watch-new-alter-bridge-video-for-cradle-to-the-grave

Couple things that confuse me about this. First off, the concert footage is from the O2 gig, and they didn't play Cradle to the Grave at that gig, so it feels kinda off and forced. Second, I thought the release of the O2 gig was going to be audio only? From the looks of this footage, they had a bunch of great quality camera shots at the gig, why the heck wouldn't they release it as a concert DVD? Some of the visuals in this look incredible.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
Mike,

I am with you with the more epic songs. I was fortunate enough to be at one of the few gigs they did "Show Me a Sign" at on the AB III tour, and it was amazing. "The End is Here" is one of my all time AB favs, as is "Wayward One." Hopefully, all of those get played.

"Lover" and "Cradle to the Grave" should be cool if they happen.

But I am completely stoked they are going to do "Words Darker Than Their Wings." Can't wait!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1566 on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:43 AM »
^ Wow, that's cool, they have only played Show Me A Sign a couple times live (according to setlist fm exactly twice), that's awesome you got to see it!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
^ Wow, that's cool, they have only played Show Me A Sign a couple times live (according to setlist fm exactly twice), that's awesome you got to see it!

Yep, San Francisco. Back then, they were selling the live recordings, so I bought it. SMaS is one of my favorite AB tunes, so I was really pumped they did it. I saw them twice on that tour. In Seattle, and and in San Francisco. It's still bumming me out I didn't see them on TLH tour, but my wife got that one (which is only fair, because I saw them in Spokane on the Blackbird tour, and she never got to see that tour - ha ha ha).

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1568 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »

Yep, San Francisco. Back then, they were selling the live recordings, so I bought it. SMaS is one of my favorite AB tunes, so I was really pumped they did it. I saw them twice on that tour. In Seattle, and and in San Francisco. It's still bumming me out I didn't see them on TLH tour, but my wife got that one (which is only fair, because I saw them in Spokane on the Blackbird tour, and she never got to see that tour - ha ha ha).

Yeah I remember when they were doing the soundboard records from shows on the USB drives for the ABIII tour. I got one as well. If I remember correctly, the flashdrive was a little guitar or something. Audio quality from the board wasn't great, but definitely a cool show memento.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: June 23, 2017, 10:34:51 AM »

Yeah I remember when they were doing the soundboard records from shows on the USB drives for the ABIII tour. I got one as well. If I remember correctly, the flashdrive was a little guitar or something. Audio quality from the board wasn't great, but definitely a cool show memento.

Yep, but I got screwed. I never got the guitar. They ended up not having enough guitars, so we all got regular USB thumb drives. It was pretty lame. But having the gig, quality aside, was cool.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1570 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
About time they make a video for Cradle. Best song on the album IMO

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1571 on: June 23, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Yep, but I got screwed. I never got the guitar. They ended up not having enough guitars, so we all got regular USB thumb drives. It was pretty lame. But having the gig, quality aside, was cool.

Yeah, I think they ran out at the gig I went to as well, but luckily I was able to get one.

About time they make a video for Cradle. Best song on the album IMO

It's definitely in my top 5 on the album which hasn't changed since the record first came out. In no particular order:

The Other Side
Cradle to the Grave
This Side of Fate
Island of Fools
The Last Hero

All incredible songs.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1572 on: June 25, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »

It's definitely in my top 5 on the album which hasn't changed since the record first came out. In no particular order:

The Other Side
Cradle to the Grave
This Side of Fate
Island of Fools
The Last Hero

All incredible songs.

Those are my five favorite songs as well. Simply phenomenal.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: June 26, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
Funny, not in order, my top 5 are:

Show Me a Leader
My Champion
Cradle to the Grave
Island of Fools
Symphony of Agony (this track should have been on the main track list)

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1574 on: June 26, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
Funny, not in order, my top 5 are:

Show Me a Leader
My Champion
Cradle to the Grave
Island of Fools
Symphony of Agony (this track should have been on the main track list)

Cool list! I agree SoA should have been on the main track listing, I easily prefer it to several tracks that did make the cut.