Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256512 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Live In Milan (Still don't have it)
« Reply #1015 on: July 07, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
I don't know how to explain this one.  I've tried to justify DC3's actions and I don't know.  I hear word that the band wants to have more extras and bonus footage.  Also, I hear word that they made a deal with Palladia to show the show on the channel which means that the DVD gets delayed 3-6 months after the showing.  Other than that, I don't know.  It's the easiest "Shut up, and take my money" deal ever for me and, uhhhhh, yeah.  We'll see what happens.

I'm starting to think the band needs to start looking at another production company other than DC3 for their future live releases. Daniel Catullo is just unreliable at this point. He hooks us with the release date, and then guts us with these delays. I'm sure not all of it is at the fault of DC3...im sure there are rights to the use of songs that are out of their hands (fuck you Wind Up). However, Live From Amsterdam was a hot mess. A promised release of the 3D Blu Ray of Wembley never happened, despite it is in the recent Alter Bridge X collection....and now this? As a fan it just makes me aggravated I have to keep waiting more time to buy the damn thing.

I hope they keep playing Before Tomorrow Comes, preferably in the middle of the set: acts as a nice restroom break.

On the contrary, I'd love for them to kick that song the hell out of the setlist and put in something from Fortress, AB III or One Day Remains in its place.

I love the band and their music, but by God, their love affair with Blackbird in the setlist pisses me off.

They hardly touched anything from ABIII  in their current tour, have they? There are some incredible live songs on that album, like All Hope Is Gone

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1016 on: July 07, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
They only did 3 songs from ABIII in the current tour and now it's down to two with the occasional omission of Slip to the Void (which sucks that it got taken out).  It's also a bloody shame that they never played Fallout live since I think it would have made a nice live track (I heard these guys strum it acoustically in a few video outlets, it must be played dang it!).

As for the production company issues, as it pains me to say this as a huge fan of Live From Amsterdam, I think it's gotta to be time to move on from DC3 and this is not totally their fault.  There has been too many setbacks without good responses and yeah.  I heard from the ABNation forums that some posters wants Fret12 to be the new production company for AB.   I heard good words about the Sound and the Story Fortress DVD on how its filmed and that it was delivered in a timely manner so that could be an option.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:27:01 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1017 on: July 08, 2014, 06:27:04 AM »
Yeah Fret12 seems like they typically have their act together and would be a good choice for AB over DC3.  Like you said Anguyen, it really is the lack of proper communication with customers and potential future customers that is the issue currently.

Delays with products happen, I totally get that.  But communicating those delays to your customers in a professional manner would go a long way.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1018 on: July 14, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
In these darker times, I'm just glad that these guys announced a fall US tour!!!

10/4 — Louisville, Ky. — Louder Than Life Festival
10/7 — Bethlehem, Pa. — Sands Bethlehem Event Center
10/9 — Worcester, Mass. — The Palladium
10/10 — Sayreville, N.J. — Starland Ballroom
10/12 — Huntington, N.Y. — The Paramount
10/13 — Lancaster, Pa. — Freedom Hall / Lancaster County Convention Center
10/15 — Northfield, Ohio — Hard Rock Live
10/16 — St. Louis, Mo. — The Pageant
10/20 — Denver, Colo. — Paramount Theatre
10/22 — Seattle, Wash. — Showbox SODO
10/23 — Spokane, Wash. — Knitting Factory
10/25 — San Francisco, Calif. — Warfield
10/26 — Los Angeles, Calif. — Wiltern

https://loudwire.com/alter-bridge-fall-2014-u-s-tour-dates/

Their LA show is at the Wiltern.  Cool.  I will do my best to be there.  I won't let that being on a Sunday affect me and all.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1019 on: July 17, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
All right, got the tickets.  Now I am really pumped for it.  Seeing them with California Breed as the opener.  Such a good bill.  Should make a great night.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1020 on: July 17, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
Anguyen! I am most likely going to that show as well

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1021 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
In these darker times, I'm just glad that these guys announced a fall US tour!!!

10/4 — Louisville, Ky. — Louder Than Life Festival
10/7 — Bethlehem, Pa. — Sands Bethlehem Event Center
10/9 — Worcester, Mass. — The Palladium
10/10 — Sayreville, N.J. — Starland Ballroom
10/12 — Huntington, N.Y. — The Paramount
10/13 — Lancaster, Pa. — Freedom Hall / Lancaster County Convention Center
10/15 — Northfield, Ohio — Hard Rock Live
10/16 — St. Louis, Mo. — The Pageant
10/20 — Denver, Colo. — Paramount Theatre
10/22 — Seattle, Wash. — Showbox SODO
10/23 — Spokane, Wash. — Knitting Factory
10/25 — San Francisco, Calif. — Warfield
10/26 — Los Angeles, Calif. — Wiltern

https://loudwire.com/alter-bridge-fall-2014-u-s-tour-dates/

Their LA show is at the Wiltern.  Cool.  I will do my best to be there.  I won't let that being on a Sunday affect me and all.

OMG
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1022 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »
Man I wish they were coming to Pittsburgh on this tour, dying to see them! Maybe I'll look into making the road trip to Ohio...

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1023 on: July 28, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »
Man I wish they were coming to Pittsburgh on this tour, dying to see them! Maybe I'll look into making the road trip to Ohio...

I really wish they were coming to North Carolina. :-[
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1024 on: July 28, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
I see they are still ignoring their home state of Florida  :lol Good thing I moved to Cali and I'll be able to see their show in L.A.!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1025 on: July 28, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
There was also one more date that they announced the Monday later.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1026 on: August 25, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
Thanks to fortress i'm starting to get into this band. What an amazing album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1027 on: August 25, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
Welcome, welcome.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1028 on: August 25, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
Thanks to fortress i'm starting to get into this band. What an amazing album.

Enjoy the journey, my friend  :metal

Have you heard of any of their stuff prior to Fortress?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1029 on: August 26, 2014, 06:54:02 AM »
If you haven't heard anything prior to Fortress, its a great place to start! I would then recommend taking a listen to Blackbird (album) next.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1030 on: October 05, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
Well, three weeks from today I shall see them live for the first time ever along with California Breed and Like A Storm in LA.

I've been preparing for this concert for a while now, listening to all of the stuff from Like a Storm and California Breed and next week begins listening to everything AB has released (All four albums, and both their live DVDs).  I'm so excited!!!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1031 on: October 05, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
If you haven't heard anything prior to Fortress, its a great place to start! I would then recommend taking a listen to Blackbird (album) next.
I have heard Blackbird. Love a lot of songs in there, but I have a major problem with most southern-rock sounding songs in Alter Bridge's discography  :lol
I like the more metal side of this band, but still the softer side is good as long is not what i've described before.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1032 on: October 23, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »
Bumping, bumping, bumping.  So with Glenn Hughes and California Breed being the main supporting band for AB during this fall US tour, AB just now decided to do this.  They played Deep Purple's Highway Star (a cover that they hadn't played in probably nine years or so) with Glenn Hughes and I think the result is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5nILGTte4

I'm so excited.  Only three more days until the show in LA.  Having something like this would be a good addition to the show.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1033 on: October 26, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
Enjoy the concert man. I wish I had enough money to go! Im jealous

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1034 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
Bumping, bumping, bumping.  So with Glenn Hughes and California Breed being the main supporting band for AB during this fall US tour, AB just now decided to do this.  They played Deep Purple's Highway Star (a cover that they hadn't played in probably nine years or so) with Glenn Hughes and I think the result is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5nILGTte4

I'm so excited.  Only three more days until the show in LA.  Having something like this would be a good addition to the show.

That was nice, thanks for posting the video! Always good to see AB stretch themselves and mix up their sets a little.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1035 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
Well, the show was really good.  Everyone was playing all the songs to the beat, sounded really clearly (and very loud), without any botches, and they executed it so well.  The crowd was pretty good. I think it was probably on par with the crowd of the BTFW on Boston, maybe a tad more energetic (then again, I had the in person pov which is different than watching a crowd on a tv.)

Happy that I went and would love to see them again.  Hopefully, the wait is decent enough for my ears to regain some power.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1036 on: October 27, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
Good to hear! I've been to four Alter Bridge shows, and I think my favorite one was Jannus Landing in St. Petersburg, FL, 2008. Super small outside venue. It was August in Florida so it was humid as all hell but I think the band embraced it, and they were on top of their game. That was the first I heard them play Blackbird live....ah, it was so good!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1037 on: November 28, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
Eeeeeeee.  I just purchased and downloaded the Story version of the "Fortress - The Sound & The Story DVD."  Cheap Download as well.  $5 and 44 min. of content.  I paid $11 for the new Foo Fighters album and got only like 42 min. of stuff.  The Sound and the Story bundle with the 12 guitar lessons going over all of the Fortress songs are like about $20, I think.

https://fret12.com/fortress

I can't wait to watch this.  This is a very lovely compensation to have if we're not going to get that Milan DVD anytime soon.  Hopefully, there's a great amount of good tidbits that I did not already know over the creation process of this awesome album.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:18:14 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: November 28, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
The content in that sound and story download is pretty good for the price.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1039 on: February 23, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
One Day Remains. Now that's a fuckin' rock song. Revisiting that album today

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1040 on: April 03, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
This is extremely difficult because they're all so good. But here goes nothin':

Blackbird
ABIII
One Day Remains
Fortress

Looking forward to a new album already lol.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saλns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1041 on: April 03, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »
This is extremely difficult because they're all so good. But here goes nothin':

Blackbird
ABIII
One Day Remains
Fortress

Looking forward to a new album already lol.

Wow. There's times when I forget AB III even exists.

Ranking of personal liking:
One Day Remains
Fortress
Blackbird

AB III

Ranking IMO quality:
Fortress
One Day Remains
Blackbird

AB III

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1042 on: April 03, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »
This is a difficult one. I can't really say one album is better than the others.

One Day Remains - I love the more natural sounding production (compared to latter albums). All around just a really solid heavy rock album. I can't say it suffers from 'first album syndrome' like some say about this album (Myles was still new etc.). This album is as much Alter Bridge as the other ones.

Blackbird - To me, it features their greatest song - and one of my favorite songs ever - 'Blackbird'. The first few tracks are amazing, but there's also some tracks that I feel are not really that special. I never, ever have the desire to listen to 'Buried Alive', 'Coming Home' or 'Before Tomorrow Comes' again, even though I liked them in the beginning.

ABIII - I really love the newfound darkness on this album. Its heaviness is addictive. 'Slip to the Void' is monumental, one of their very best. The album feels a bit too long and can get kinda samey. 'Make It Right' feels like a throwaway to me.

Fortress - 'Cry of Achilles' and 'Fortress' are again two tracks that can be added to the hall of fame. Together with ODR, one of the most consistent albums they've released. I only dislike 'Cry me a River', but all the other tracks have staying power.

So in terms of consistency:

Fortress
One Day Remains
Blackbird
ABIII

But in terms of individual song strengths and personal attachment:

Blackbird
Fortress
ABIII
One Day Remains

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1043 on: April 04, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »
I dunno... I love Blackbird (the song), but there are other AB songs that I rank with the same prestige. Cry of Achilles, Fortress, Lover, Calm the Fire and Words Darker Than Their Wings all come to mind.

My favorite is probably Cry of Achilles, though that admittedly has some personal ties to my heart. I listened to that song countless times over and over the morning after the album first dropped, using the chorus as a means to cope with waking up to the news that morning that my little sister had been hospitalized from a seizure half-a-country away. It was eerie stuff.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1044 on: April 05, 2015, 02:09:25 AM »
I've always said this about AB III, but, if they had cut that album down to about 10 songs, it would've been incredible. Some of the best musical moments in Alter Bridge's catalogue are on that album, from the vocal harmony Slip To The Void, the groove in the riff of Isolation, to the bridge and solo on All Hope Is Gone. The first 5 songs on that album are incredible pieces of rock n roll.

1. Slip To The Void
2. Isolation
3. Ghosts of Days Gone By
4. All Hope Is Gone
5. Still Remains
6. Wonderful Life
7. I Know It Hurts
8. Show Me A Sign
9. Coeur D'Alene
10. Words Darker Than Their Wings

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1045 on: April 05, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
I've always said this about AB III, but, if they had cut that album down to about 10 songs, it would've been incredible. Some of the best musical moments in Alter Bridge's catalogue are on that album, from the vocal harmony Slip To The Void, the groove in the riff of Isolation, to the bridge and solo on All Hope Is Gone. The first 5 songs on that album are incredible pieces of rock n roll.

1. Slip To The Void
2. Isolation
3. Ghosts of Days Gone By
4. All Hope Is Gone
5. Still Remains
6. Wonderful Life
7. I Know It Hurts
8. Show Me A Sign
9. Coeur D'Alene
10. Words Darker Than Their Wings

I would've put Life Must Go On in there instead of Coeur D'Alene. Great song!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1046 on: April 05, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
The thing about the whole cutting songs from ABIII is that we would have never heard the songs we may think are favorites of the album or we would have thought that the songs, that made it as the B-sides, should have been on the main release (AB does have a good track record of B-sides songs).  I mean, Accelerando, that list you got there is a mighty fine 10 songs where the album could have gotten better praise if that was the official release. 

I can understand songs like Make It Right and Breathe Again probably had some good ideas that may have worked, but did not fulfill the certain realistic standards we hold the band.  That said, I love Life Must Go On as well and the lyrics telling us to keep pushing forward in life and I've always pegged Fallout in my absolute fave five songs of the album.  There's just a certain twang? in the sound of Fallout that just made it work so well.  I still wished they played it live at some point.  It could have gone over well with the crowd.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:37:39 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: April 06, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »
Fortress
Blackbird
One Day Remains
AB III

AB III is still a really great record, but the others are better.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1048 on: April 10, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
Blackbird

One Day Remains
Fortress

ABIII
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1049 on: April 10, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »
Each AB album is better than the one released before it.