Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256499 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Live In Milan
« Reply #980 on: June 08, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
I don't think the rest of the discography will disappoint someone who's into Fortress. Going for Blackbird next might be a good move, and about the title track: Even the band themselves have said they'll probably never top that song. In fact, that song is in a whole other stratosphere for AB. It's in the realms of Classic Rock, all the way. I don't know if I'll get shot for saying this, but I don't think 'Blackbird' is any less good of an epic than a 'Stairway to Heaven' is. Stairway came first, so ofcourse Led Zep were much more original. But quality wise, it's so close it's not even funny.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #981 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
Yeah, Blackbird is a whole 'nother level. I mean, I enjoy most of AB's stuff, but Blackbird is the best by such a large margin it's ridiculous.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #982 on: June 09, 2014, 08:10:27 AM »
Agreed, I'd still consider Blackbird their best studio release as well.  Although, Fortress certainly gave it a run for it's money in my book.  IMO, AB has never made a "bad" album.  I'd say One Day Remains and ABIII get less spins than Fortress and BB for me, but all 4 albums are killer in there own right.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #983 on: June 09, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
If there is a song that comes close to Blackbird, it would be Cry of Achilles for me.  I just love that song too much.

Don't close your eeeeyyyyyeeesss
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #984 on: June 09, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
It is the general consensus that ABIII is their weakest album. I agree to an extent, but to me, some of Alter Bridge's best moments shine on that album. The bridge to All Hope Is Gone is beautiful eerie, and epic. That song, and Slip To The Void, is easily a top 5 Alter Bridge song. I also love the darkness of Show Me A Sign. It reminds me of Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath. The darkness is in the music, not necessarily in the lyrics. Very demonic and evil in that sense. The songs after Show Me A Sign are the weakest of that album, but highlights like Coeur d'Alene and Words Darker Than Their Wings keep me interested.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #985 on: June 09, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »
I would place ABIII at #3 out of 4, above One Day Remains. It drags a bit and gets a bit samey in terms of style/tone, but there are some really really fantastic songs on it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #986 on: June 09, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »
It is the general consensus that ABIII is their weakest album. I agree to an extent, but to me, some of Alter Bridge's best moments shine on that album. The bridge to All Hope Is Gone is beautiful eerie, and epic. That song, and Slip To The Void, is easily a top 5 Alter Bridge song. I also love the darkness of Show Me A Sign. It reminds me of Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath. The darkness is in the music, not necessarily in the lyrics. Very demonic and evil in that sense. The songs after Show Me A Sign are the weakest of that album, but highlights like Coeur d'Alene and Words Darker Than Their Wings keep me interested.

All of those songs are indeed top AB material. They definitely treaded new grounds with those, especially Slip to the Void.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #987 on: June 09, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
Can't wait to grab the other 3 albums, I've already spun Fortress like crazy....Calm The Fire (dat chorus!!), All Ends Well and the title track are my favs, with Bleed It Dry being an honorable mention.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #988 on: June 09, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »
Awesome man  :metal

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #989 on: June 10, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »
Where's the love for One Day Remains? The first thing you hear from AB is Find The Real, followed by the title track, which is one of the greatest things they have done. Myles vocals shine above just about anything else he's worked on, and the guitar is undiluted Mark. Say what you will about Myles guitar skill, the music took an undeniable turn after ODR. Don't get me wrong, I love the direction they've gone, but ODR still speaks to me as "We are Alter Bridge and this is what we do!"

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #990 on: June 10, 2014, 06:44:37 AM »
I enjoy all of their albums, but Fortress is easily the best thing they've done to date, in my opinion. I haven't been paying attention to the band lately, but have they finally doing a more balanced setlist yet?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #991 on: June 10, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
All I know is that they're playing with a click track nowadays, which results in the songs being played at the right tempos. I've always had that one gripe, and the last time I saw them live they were so much more spot on because of that adjustment!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #992 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »
All I know is that they're playing with a click track nowadays, which results in the songs being played at the right tempos. I've always had that one gripe, and the last time I saw them live they were so much more spot on because of that adjustment!

Yep! That simple adjustment in their live shows has helped SO much!

I enjoy all of their albums, but Fortress is easily the best thing they've done to date, in my opinion. I haven't been paying attention to the band lately, but have they finally doing a more balanced setlist yet?

It been better, but still not great IMO.  They have been playing Addicted to Pain, Cry of Achilles, and Waters Rising pretty consistently. They often throw in Farther Than the Sun too it seems and they have been playing the title track a little more recently, which is definitely a good thing! But there are still several great songs off of Fortress that they have only played a couple of times live; Bleed It Dry and Lover are two that come to mind off the top of my head. Not to mention several great tracks they still haven't played live like All Ends Well and Peace is Broken.  I think the sets have been getting better, but they still seem to be a little heavy on the Blackbird era songs. I would like to see them really emphasize the Fortress songs since they are out in support of that album.

Where's the love for One Day Remains? The first thing you hear from AB is Find The Real, followed by the title track, which is one of the greatest things they have done. Myles vocals shine above just about anything else he's worked on, and the guitar is undiluted Mark. Say what you will about Myles guitar skill, the music took an undeniable turn after ODR. Don't get me wrong, I love the direction they've gone, but ODR still speaks to me as "We are Alter Bridge and this is what we do!"

Don't get me wrong I love Once Day Remains, I just feel like they progressed and evolved from that point on and I tend to prefer that sound with Myles fully integrated into the writing.  Find the Real, Burn it Down, Metalingus, etc.. remain some of my favorite AB tunes to this day.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #993 on: June 10, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
For me...

Fortress

Blackbird

ABIII

Once Day Remains

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #994 on: June 10, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »

It's getting there.

Addicted to Pain
Come to Life
Before Tomorrow Comes
Bleed It Dry
Cry of Achilles
Brand New Start
Ghost of Days Gone By
Fortress
Isolation
Ties That Bind
Waters Rising
Broken Wings
Metalingus
Blackbird
Open Your Eyes

Encore:
Find the Real
Rise Today

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alter-bridge/2014/arvest-bank-theatre-at-the-midland-kansas-city-mo-5bc323d8.html

That's what they were playing, roughly, during their last week of headlining shows in the States.

Addicted to Pain
White Knuckles
Find the Real
Farther Than the Sun
Come to Life
Cry of Achilles
Fortress
Ghost of Days Gone By
Ties That Bind
Metalingus
Blackbird
(Blackbird by The Beatles intro)
Rise Today
Isolation

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alter-bridge/2014/arena-joe-strummer-bologna-italy-3c0d56b.html

That's what they played at a festival in Italy supporting Iron Maiden.  I hope that setlist with Waters Rising replacing Farther Than the Sun makes it to their big UK set at the Download Festival.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #995 on: June 10, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
That's pretty much what they played in Chicago a couple months ago, only they opened with Slip To The Void and there was a Myles/Mark solo duel in the encore.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #996 on: June 10, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
They played a pretty awesome set for  Rock AM Ring* (thanks Anguyen) yesterday. You see the show here. I'm not sure if it's the full show because this video starts with White Knuckles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKMosY2dBj4

White Knuckles
Come To Life
Cry Of Achilles
Ties That Bind
Waters Rising
Metalingus
Blackbird
Rise Today
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:20:49 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #997 on: June 10, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
The show was called Rock AM Ring.  Rock on the Range was last month.  I was pretty miffed that the hosts was talking, before the live stream began, while the band was playing Addicted to Pain.  That event was similar to when the hosts was talking while they were playing Slip to the Void back in 2011.  In fact, I believe they acknowledged that this year before the live stream to AB's set began yet they still were talking while Addicted to Pain was playing.  I wanted to slap those hosts so badly that day.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #998 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »
If they did start that set off with Addicted to Pain, that's a pretty rocking festival set! Lots of great tunes jammed into a short amount of time!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #999 on: June 11, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
The show was called Rock AM Ring.  Rock on the Range was last month.  I was pretty miffed that the hosts was talking, before the live stream began, while the band was playing Addicted to Pain.  That event was similar to when the hosts was talking while they were playing Slip to the Void back in 2011.  In fact, I believe they acknowledged that this year before the live stream to AB's set began yet they still were talking while Addicted to Pain was playing.  I wanted to slap those hosts so badly that day.

Whoops! I fix'd it

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1000 on: June 11, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »
Blackbird
Fortress
AB III
One Day Remains

On the subject or album rankings. Think everyone already said which one would be best to go to first out of the first three. Once you go Blackbird you never go back.

Nothing wrong with AB III either.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1001 on: June 22, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
We have a winner for the Lover music video contest!!!

https://genero.tv/watch-video/38277

There's also 16 video for the Cry of Achilles contest.

https://genero.tv/cryofachilles/videos

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1002 on: June 27, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »
One Day Remains: Pretty strong debut, love Open Your Eyes, Metalingus, and Broken Wings. Good production and all around a good album.

Blackbird: GREAT album, definitely where they really found their identity if you ask me. Great songwriting and I find myself singing the songs to myself at work all the time lol. First 3 songs are standouts and yes, the title track is an absolute masterpiece.

AB III: Haven't listened to this one as much, maybe because it hasn't 'clicked' yet. However, I do love Slip To The Void, Ghost Of Days Gone By and Wonderful Life.

None of them have topped Fortress for me though. But they're all good

Fortress
Blackbird
One Day Remains
AB III

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1003 on: June 27, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
I think One Day Remains has the best production quality. I can actually hear Brian's bass playing clearly. Of course that is the only album that wasn't produced by Elvis Baskett

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1004 on: June 28, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »
Well, I watched a live stream of AB from the Graspop festival.  This is the last show of this festival leg, and, while it's pretty much unknown on what's going to happen to them for here on out, I think the set was better than the Rock AM Ring set.  One thing, I heard Addicted to Pain (something that did not happen in Rock AM Ring due to hosts talking) and Isolation.  I think they sounded a bit better as well.  Good way to end this Europe leg.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1005 on: June 30, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
The full concert video from the Graspop Festival is out.  I wonder how the user did it?  I was trying all day, yesterday, to download that thing from the source of the stream. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY2iougDkFE

The setlist.

Addicted to Pain
White Knuckles
Come to Life
Cry of Achilles
Waters Rising
Ties That Bind
Metalingus
Blackbird
Rise Today
Isolation

Nothing too out of the ordinary.  Almost the same set as Rock AM Ring, but two additional songs were shown (Addicted to Pain and Isolation).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:20:36 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: July 01, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »
I don't know why they keep playing Metalingus.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1007 on: July 01, 2014, 07:41:37 AM »
I don't know why they keep playing Metalingus.

Its a pretty good live song, especially in person. Every time I've seen them live its a highlight of the show, just a fun, heavy song.

The full concert video from the Graspop Festival is out.  I wonder how the user did it?  I was trying all day, yesterday, to download that thing from the source of the stream. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY2iougDkFE

Thanks for the link! Mark's tone seems a bit wimpy here, but that might just be the way this festival processed his amps for the stream.  His tone in person is huge sounding.  Mark sounds fantastic on Waters Rising though, killer vocals.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1008 on: July 07, 2014, 01:53:10 AM »

:tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Live In Milan (Still don't have it)
« Reply #1009 on: July 07, 2014, 05:42:38 AM »
Heh, it's Luna Park all over again.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1010 on: July 07, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »
I don't know how to explain this one.  I've tried to justify DC3's actions and I don't know.  I hear word that the band wants to have more extras and bonus footage.  Also, I hear word that they made a deal with Palladia to show the show on the channel which means that the DVD gets delayed 3-6 months after the showing.  Other than that, I don't know.  It's the easiest "Shut up, and take my money" deal ever for me and, uhhhhh, yeah.  We'll see what happens.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1011 on: July 07, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
I hope they keep playing Before Tomorrow Comes, preferably in the middle of the set: acts as a nice restroom break.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1012 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
I hope they keep playing Before Tomorrow Comes, preferably in the middle of the set: acts as a nice restroom break.

On the contrary, I'd love for them to kick that song the hell out of the setlist and put in something from Fortress, AB III or One Day Remains in its place.

I love the band and their music, but by God, their love affair with Blackbird in the setlist pisses me off.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #1013 on: July 07, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »
Heh, it's Luna Park all over again.  :lol
Unfortunately

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1014 on: July 07, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Ah man, this whole Live in Milan being delayed thing is all to familiar for AB. Such a shame... Great band but this kind of stuff really takes away from what they could become. 

... It's the easiest "Shut up, and take my money" deal ever for me and, uhhhhh, yeah.  We'll see what happens.

Agreed, just get the darn thing released and its an instant buy for me... They just have to release it first,  :lol