Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256492 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Live In Milan
« Reply #945 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »
Looks like 'Cry of Achilles' is going to be the next single!

Does the word 'single' even mean anything anymore?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #946 on: March 26, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »
That was a really cool video, thanks for posting it!  Its a shame they blurred out the prices on the guitars, I'd be curious to see how much they cost!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #947 on: March 26, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »
Looks like 'Cry of Achilles' is going to be the next single!

Does the word 'single' even mean anything anymore?

Not really, but any chance AB can try to send out one track for radio listeners (as rare as it may seem nowadays) to listen to and try to gain new fans like that is always a good thing and Cry of Achilles could be that big chance that could get them over in the US in that sense, but that's my optimism though.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #948 on: March 26, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »
Not really, but any chance AB can try to send out one track for radio listeners (as rare as it may seem nowadays) to listen to and try to gain new fans like that is always a good thing and Cry of Achilles could be that big chance that could get them over in the US in that sense, but that's my optimism though.

I agree singles don't mean much any more, but I still am happy to see this song picked as a single just because its so darn good! I think its probably the best song off the new album, so for me, its just encouraging to see them want to promote a great song.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #949 on: March 26, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
Hopefully there is no radio edit!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #950 on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
Hopefully there is no radio edit!

Agreed! There isnt a single thing I would cut out of that song!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #951 on: March 27, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »
The song is perfection. I think Alter Bridge would fight to not have a radio edit. I remember Mark fighting for the solo on Open Your Eyes not being cut out by radio stations.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: March 27, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
The song is perfection. I think Alter Bridge would fight to not have a radio edit. I remember Mark fighting for the solo on Open Your Eyes not being cut out by radio stations.

I never understood why they bothered cutting the last like two bars from the end of the solo going back into the chorus.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #953 on: March 27, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »

I never understood why they bothered cutting the last like two bars from the end of the solo going back into the chorus.

Better question: Who hears that solo and thinks to cut any of it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:47 PM »

Better question: Who hears that solo and thinks to cut any of it?

yeah I know, but I just don't understand why they cut what they did.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #955 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
^^ I don't know why but, with questions like this, I always have one default answer.  I blame Wind-Up Records.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #956 on: March 31, 2014, 01:29:20 AM »
^^ I don't know why but, with questions like this, I always have one default answer.  I blame Wind-Up Records.

Bingo  :tup

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #957 on: April 07, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
Are there enough people going to the NYC show 4/24 to arrange a DTF meetup?

Offline Basekick

« Reply #958 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
Are there enough people going to the NYC show 4/24 to arrange a DTF meetup?

I'll be going!  I may also have an extra ticket if someone is in need of one.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #959 on: April 11, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
A nice little contest for some cash.  I wish I had some ideas for a video on a song like Lover.  If only Slash's Anastasia had a video contest like that instead of that video that was released for the song.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:02:53 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #960 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
If only I had the money to make the music video I'd want to make  :-\

Here's an idea! Why don't they just give me the $4200 bucks for me to make the video, then i'll win, and they don't have to give me squat?  ;D

While you ponder on that ridiculous thought, here's an awesome show review

Alter Bridge deserves to be one of the biggest bands in North America.

Typically by a fourth album and a decade together, an average hard rock group’s popularity will wane significantly. Just the opposite has happened in the case of Alter Bridge—and rightfully so. 2013’s Fortress has only fortified and expanded Alter Bridge Nation, leaving last night’s second tour show in Houston completely sold out. You could barely move within the venue.

It didn’t feel like the House of Blues though. Myles Kennedy, Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, and Scott Phillips made it feel as if they were back in front of the packed house at Wembley Arena. That’s one of many reasons the band warrant massive recognition and super stardom over here.

“Addicted to Pain” ignited the onslaught with Tremonti’s precision shredding and riffing and Kennedy’s distinct wail. All four members captured the exact bombast of the recorded material, while infusing an extra kick live, impressively. "Find the Real" teetered between a shuddering pinch harmonic and a pounding rhythm. In the middle of "Come to Life", the sound subsided momentarily from the stage as the entire crowd sang on cue, “Don’t forget we’re here to stay”. The line held seriously weight as Alter Bridge have been through it all from multiple label changes and the proverbial "starting over" after Creed, and they’re still trudging along stronger than ever.

Kennedy smiled, "This is a real treat for us. We’ve all sold this out together, apparently. That’s good to see in the U.S. of A, rock ‘n’ roll alive and well".

That’s the point most people are missing though. The band gets it as do the countless rock fans out there. There’s a need for Alter Bridge.

In a day and age where fashion, social media, and culture subsume the actual music, it’s invigorating to watch an outfit like Alter Bridge thrive stateside. Coachella’s about being noticed for something other than music, as are most festivals in North America. It’s a party culture, and it doesn’t matter if you can rip like these guys. However, it should matter. It did in the seventies, eighties, and nineties.

Moreover, the rock market has become strictly "heritage", whether it’s Jane's Addiction and Alice in Chains touring together or any other classic pairing, Alter Bridge only has ten years under its belt as a brand. Their contemporaries often boast many more.

This quartet could lead a new guard. Keep in mind these guys sold out Wembley in the UK and will be a main stage act at Download. They’re gods over in the UK and they are here too, but more Americans need to recognize that fact too.

Speaking of divine, "Cry of Achilles" bobbed from a tribal drum beat by Phillips as Kennedy finger-picked the charging clean intro before Tremonti engaged full-on six-string destruction. "Brand New Start" sounded stadium-ready with Kennedy’s voice soaring all the way back to his native Washington from Texas. "Ties That Bind" remained just hypnotically heavy, while Tremonti took the mic for the apocalyptic "Waters Rising", another Fortress standout.

"Isolation" shook the venue with a flawless delivery and unanimous sing-a-long, and Kennedy conducted the audience during a bruising "White Knuckles" that left everybody gut-punched and begging for more. "Metalingus" saw Kennedy belt out a seismic refrain as Tremonti’s laser-like fretwork practically melted his guitar neck.

An emotional highpoint came during their very own "Stairway to Heaven", "Blackbird". The slow simmering build eventually took flight into an earth-shattering refrain wrapped in more guitar fireworks. Everybody sang each word, practically humming the chord changes as well. Kennedy took to the stage with just an acoustic guitar for the poignant ballad "Watch Over You", while "Open Your Eyes" had everybody watching.

The members took a short reprieve before returning with the dark falsetto of Fortress’s "Calm the Fire", which burned right into more elegantly tight soloing from Tremonti. Speaking of soloing, Kennedy and Tremonti both practically tore a hole in the sky from all of the fast shredding leading into "Rise Today", giving a fitting conclusion to a robust instrumental showing the entire night.

Given all of this, Alter Bridge deserve to be owning arenas across the United States. Their trajectory hints at it too. Fortress remains a genuine artistic milestone and a crucial rock record. It’s time for a revolution over here. It’s time for Alter Bridge to rule...

Read more at https://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/feature-why-alter-bridge-should-be-one-of-the-biggest-bands-in-america/10937393#v1y6oivDZvqXL2vt.99

https://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/feature-why-alter-bridge-should-be-one-of-the-biggest-bands-in-america/10937393#zE5tY8Y7rIs2YLFB.01

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #961 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
I've given the new album more full listens than any of the other ones and, try as I might, it's just not really doing any more for me than the other albums.  :|  I've bought each AB album when it was released, and each time I find that I truly love about 3-5 of the songs on the album and find the rest of them don't make any real impact on me.  Then I download the few songs I like to my iPod and re-sell the CD at the used CD store near me.  The same thing is about to happen again with "Fortress." 

Love Myles Kennedy's voice, love everything he does with Slash, and thought he was fantastic when I saw him live with Slash last year ... but each AB album is only about a 40% win rate for me ....

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #962 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25:28 AM »
Great show review there! Man, I wish they were coming near me on this US tour!  :sad:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #963 on: April 19, 2014, 07:36:01 PM »
So for some reason I only recently started listening to AB, like, really. Only have Blackbird at the moment, but it's an awesome awesome album. Blackbird, Watch Over Your, Ties That Bind, Wayward One, White Knuckles... fuck, the whole album.

But especially those five.

What next? From what I've read online, I'm leaning towards Fortress, but I'd like your opinions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:38:23 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »
Fortress, then One Day Remains, then AB3.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #965 on: April 19, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »
Just get all their albums. I love all 4.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #966 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
I did a top thirty Alter Bridge songs list a long time ago, around the time AB III was released. I cant find it so the Mod's probably deleted it, but I was thinking of writing down a new list now Fortress has been out for some time. Cry of Achilles and Calm The Fire are definitely in the top 10; COA in the top 3 for sure.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #967 on: April 29, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
I saw them live for the first time in NYC on Thursday and it was a tight performance! On the DVDs, they played the songs A LOT faster but everything is just a lot tighter now! Played at the same tempo as the album.

They were very interactive with the crowd which was awesome.  :tup

Great show, great band... They need to be bigger in the US!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #968 on: April 29, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
I saw them live for the first time in NYC on Thursday and it was a tight performance! On the DVDs, they played the songs A LOT faster but everything is just a lot tighter now! Played at the same tempo as the album.

They were very interactive with the crowd which was awesome.  :tup

Great show, great band... They need to be bigger in the US!

Great to hear you had a great time! I agree they need to be bigger in the US, but unless the band really takes the time to properly promote Fortress in the US, it certainly won't happen!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #969 on: April 29, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
How does one try to be bigger?  Get an opening slot of one of the bigger bands in the States?  There are few bands out there where I can accept AB opening for them and that will work well in their favor (Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains comes to mind for me).

I mean for goodness sake's mon, Myles/Slash/Conspirators got an opening slot for Aerosmith in the states for the summer while, in Europe festivals, AB is subheading three shows (two festivals and one non-festival show with AB opening) with Aerosmith being the headliners.

The only outlets, I can see AB getting bigger in the states is hope that Cry of Achilles blows up as a single and raise their visibility or open for a bigger band that's not already committed to shows.  Quite frankly, I'm not going to think about any of this after AB is going to play a headlining show in LA whenever it may be.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #970 on: April 30, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »
How does one try to be bigger?  Get an opening slot of one of the bigger bands in the States?  There are few bands out there where I can accept AB opening for them and that will work well in their favor (Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains comes to mind for me).

I mean for goodness sake's mon, Myles/Slash/Conspirators got an opening slot for Aerosmith in the states for the summer while, in Europe festivals, AB is subheading three shows (two festivals and one non-festival show with AB opening) with Aerosmith being the headliners.

The only outlets, I can see AB getting bigger in the states is hope that Cry of Achilles blows up as a single and raise their visibility or open for a bigger band that's not already committed to shows.  Quite frankly, I'm not going to think about any of this after AB is going to play a headlining show in LA whenever it may be.

How can AB continue to grow in the states? Well it certainly won't be from Cry of Achilles, a six and half minute song with a unique arrangement structure "blowing up" as some kind of monster rock radio single. I love the song, in fact, its probably become one of my favorite AB songs ever, but that's probably not going to happen. 

Regardless, consistent touring to promote a great album is what will grow the AB fan base in the states moving forward. The fact of the matter is, Europe will probably always be AB's number one priority, they will probably continue to support their future album releases properly to that portion of the world.  And I honestly can't blame them, that's how they make a living and pay the bills.  But that doesn't change the fact that they have booked, literally like 10 headlining shows in the states to promote Fortress on tour.  10 shows.... In 10 cities.... I don't think thats going to cut it  :lol

The fact of the matter is that they have an established fan base in the states, but in order to maintain and grow that base they need to get out and deliver their product to as many people as they can.  Hitting 10 shows won't do that successfully.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
The answer to how can they get bigger is simple. Bring on Nicky Spanjaards.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #972 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
Haha of course! I did see a Cry of Achilles vocal cover from him pop up recently... Clearly that is the way to go!  :lol

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #973 on: May 01, 2014, 01:42:16 AM »
Oh god, I just watched that video  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #974 on: May 05, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
Right, ok.  Apparently, AB has got another video contest.  This one is for Cry of Achilles.

The Project
American rock band Alter Bridge is giving you an amazing opportunity to create the official music video for another song 'Cry Of Achilles'! The project allows complete creative freedom - so take a listen and be inspired by this track!
Deadline for submissions is June 16, 2014, 23:59 GMT time.

Awards & Judging
The selected video will receive $7,000 and have their video used as the official music video for Cry Of Achilles!
The official selection and finalist group will be chosen by Alter Bridge and Genero.

https://genero.tv/cryofachilles/

I hope people that actually enter this thing do this song justice at a price they like to spend on.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #975 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:35 AM »
That's my issue is I need the money to make it. In fact, I need the money to make many of the projects I want to make. Life of a struggling artist  :millahhhh

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #976 on: May 13, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »
"18 Things Only Alter Bridge Fans Will Understand"

https://whatculture.com/music/18-things-alter-bridge-fans-will-understand.php

This. Is. Awesome.  :lol :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #977 on: May 13, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »
All right, so far, there is three videos that people had submitted for Lover.  I think this is the best one so far, due to the fact that it fits the lyrics and the timing of the song, although that's not really quite a stretch.

https://genero.tv/watch-video/38248

The other two? Well, there is one where the guy was filming desolated landscape with a shot of a fire burning, and there's another one with some male and female dancers, a girl with a doll, a man in a bed, and some boxers punching each other (with a scene where they ripped a pillow in front the man in the bed).

https://genero.tv/watch-video/38247

https://genero.tv/watch-video/38244

Sigh.... independent video contests.  A lot of cooky and intriguing ideas out there.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #978 on: June 08, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »
New to this thread, new fan of the band.

I've known about them since they formed and heard all of their hits on the radio, but kinda brushed em off as 'Creed with a different frontman' (I hate Creed!)

However, a couple months ago, a buddy of mine offered me a free ticket to the 2nd show at the House of Blues in Chicago and I said sure, what the hell...free show! After the show, I was blown away by their performance and their musicianship and my buddy who took me to the show told me to grab Fortress which he said is their best album to date....I am IN LOVE with that record.

Probably gonna grab the other 3 pretty soon, but he warned me to lower my expectations after hearing Fortress first, especially AB III, which he said is their weakest. Anyway, fuck yeah to this band!!!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #979 on: June 08, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
I would rank Fortress and Blackbird similarly high, and the debut and ABIII are both about equal as well, though no where near as good as the aforementioned two, so I think at least you'll like Blackbird quite a bit. The title track on that one remains my favourite AB song by quite a distance.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!