Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256513 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Fortress
« Reply #910 on: January 16, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
I think I read somewhere in a Myles interview where when he heard that the bonus track was called "Outright", he stated something like that was a working title and that the actual title was meant to be "Never Say Die".  I don't remember.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #911 on: January 16, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
Good news, people that reads this thread and is from Australia.  AB has got themselves booked into some sideshows.  The other act playing is not Steel Panther, thankfully.  It's Living Colour.

https://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014/01/17/alter-bridge-and-living-colour-lock-in-two-sidewaves/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: January 17, 2014, 03:22:51 AM »
NO FUCKING BRISBANE!!   >:(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #913 on: January 17, 2014, 06:54:08 AM »
Good news, people that reads this thread and is from Australia.  AB has got themselves booked into some sideshows.  The other act playing is not Steel Panther, thankfully.  It's Living Colour.

https://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014/01/17/alter-bridge-and-living-colour-lock-in-two-sidewaves/

I remember a while back someone here said something like, "Living Colour is playing down the street from my house.  Should I go see them?"  HUH?  Are you for serious?  Anyways, what an oddball pairing that will likely result in a kick ass show.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
Down to My Last :heart

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: January 20, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »
I finally got around to giving Fortress a good listen and unfortunately for me it doesn't live up to the hype.  I'd rate it lower than ABIII mostly because there's not one song that grabs me and begs for a repeated listens like Isolation and (less so ) Still Remains did .

Alter Bridge have always been a bit of a "compilation band" for me - I usually really like 2-3 songs off each album and the rest of the songs just blend into each other.   I find Fortress a bit the same -the songs, sound and the vocals don't vary much at all. 

My favourite tracks/moments:

Cry of Achilles
Lover
Calm The Fire (this one had the potential to be huge but I found the chorus didn't live up to the riff/verse)

I also enjoyed the more progressive mid section of Fortress (the song) but not fussed about the rest.

I will return to the above 3 or 4 tracks and give them a chance to grow but I'd struggle to listen to the album from start to finish again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:25:32 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: January 21, 2014, 03:25:06 AM »
Keep listening.  It's a grower.  When I first listened to it, my impressions were basically, 'meh'.  Now, for me it's easily their best album by a long shot.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #917 on: January 21, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »
I wanna say all their other albums are growers. This is the first one that has hit me immeadeately. But I do agree that it's easily their best album by a long shot.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #918 on: January 21, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
None of AB's albums have really been growers for me ever, but then again, they are easily one of my favorite bands so I typically enjoy most of their work as soon as I hear it.  I will say this about Fortress though; even though I liked it from the first listen, there is so much going on throughout that record that it took me many, many additional listens to fully appreciate all the work AB had done.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #919 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
None of AB's albums have really been growers for me ever, but then again, they are easily one of my favorite bands so I typically enjoy most of their work as soon as I hear it.  I will say this about Fortress though; even though I liked it from the first listen, there is so much going on throughout that record that it took me many, many additional listens to fully appreciate all the work AB had done.

This.

One Day Remains is their most accessible album. It's easy listening, hard rocking, and some beautiful melodic pieces of work, like, FlyingBIZKIT pointed out, Down To My Last..which to me is one of the top vocal performances by Myles as a member of Alter Bridge. With Blackbird and ABIII, they are mixing in progressive elements to the recipe, and Fortress just brings everything they've worked into fruition. Before, Mark and Myles were leading the band musically, but you can tell the jump that Brian and Flip did to make the sound complete. I think Flip was the most improved a musician. His kinetics are just killer. Brian's bass playing is just more noticeable due to the improved mixing of the album. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #920 on: January 22, 2014, 07:51:27 AM »
I'm rather new to Alter Bridge, but Myles Kennedy has quickly become one of my favorite vocalists.  I don't necessarily think it always works out musically, but color me intriqued by the progressive elements they've added to their last 2 albums.  I even hear bits of Bach and other classical stuff in their music. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:58:18 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #921 on: January 28, 2014, 01:42:58 AM »
I'm rather new to Alter Bridge, but Myles Kennedy has quickly become one of my favorite vocalists.  I don't necessarily think it always works out musically, but color me intriqued by the progressive elements they've added to their last 2 albums.  I even hear bits of Bach and other classical stuff in their music.

Yes! Like Wayward One....the chorus riff is Bach's Bourrée in E minor

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #922 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »

Yes! Like Wayward One....the chorus riff is Bach's Bourrée in E minor

Love that opening acoustic passage to Cry of Achilles.  It segues nicely from Zeppelin-esque to Spanish flamenco.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #923 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
The whole album is rediculously good.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #924 on: February 08, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
https://www.welcometorockvillefestival.com/lineup.html
Just found out that AB is coming back to Jax, Fl, much to my ridiculously overwhelming surprise.  They played a small festival here years ago and the reception was beyond disrespectful.  I hope the scumbags stay home this time.  Anyways, Saturday looks like my day... AB, A7X, Motörhead, The Cult, Hell Yeah, Fozzy (what!).  I am just a wee bit excited. :metal

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #925 on: February 08, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »
That festival lineup is pretty sweet, Sylvan.  :hat  You'll also get Monster Truck, which is the band that will be opening for AB when they play near me in May, and you get Volbeat, which is a very mercurial band --  some love them, some hate them.  I fall in the  :heart category.  Saw them 3x last year and they put on a fantastic show with a varied set list every time.  :clap:

Sadly, I suspect it may be one of your last chances to see Motorhead, too, considering his up and down health lately.   :sadpanda:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #926 on: February 17, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
New album is awesome. Calm the Fire is soooooooooo good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #927 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Ugh.  I didn't realize your taste in music had suffered so much since you had been gone.  Thank goodness you are back here before it is too late.  Hopefully, this board will get you acclimated back to good music again quickly.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #928 on: February 17, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »
Damn you! Hey, I loved DT12 though! :lol

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #929 on: February 17, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
Mark and Myles were on That Metal Show this weekend. You can watch the full episode here!

https://www.vh1.com/video/that-metal-show/full-episodes/alter-bridge-matt-nathanson/1722204/playlist.jhtml

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #930 on: February 17, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Misheard AB lyrics?
"I Found a tree and all of it's broken" (Lover)
"Coraline is calling out, and it won't be long" (Coeur d'Alene)

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #931 on: February 21, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
Billboard some acoustic performances from Mark and Myles for Billboard Studio.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5915590/alter-bridge-myles-kennedy-mark-tremonti-rock-the-billboard-studio-watch?utm_source=twitter

I wish they do other songs acoustically other than Rise Today and Watch Over You. Last year they did All Hope Is Gone on acoustics, and fuck, was it epic!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #932 on: March 12, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
Random:
Just heard Creed "Are You Ready" as the intro for Golf Central on the Golf Channel.

I can't wait for Rockville.  Getting more psyched everyday.  Four years without seeing them, then twice in nine months.  :metal

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #933 on: March 22, 2014, 02:35:39 AM »
Trailer for "Live In Milan"

https://youtu.be/QzEGbuwLnDY

I was hoping they would stop the trend of naming every damn live album/dvd of their "Live In..."...I mean, The Rolling Stones has a live album called "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" for pete's sake  :lol I'm still stoked about this

:metal

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Live In Milan
« Reply #934 on: March 22, 2014, 06:33:08 AM »
Oooohhhh! :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #935 on: March 22, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
Wheeeeeee!!!!!!!!  Definitely going to do purchase this one.  A lot of good things from that show, I hear.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: March 23, 2014, 03:14:47 AM »
Cool shit. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #938 on: March 24, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
Oh yeah!!!! Can't wait!!  :metal :metal

Hopefully this live album actually comes out on schedule, AB have a history of having live releases delayed...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #939 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »

Hopefully this live album actually comes out on schedule, AB have a history of having live releases delayed...

They only had one incident of live releases being delayed and, naturally, I blame the 1st two record labels they signed with for that.  The Wembley DVD was released in a timely manner.  Right?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #940 on: March 24, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »

They only had one incident of live releases being delayed and, naturally, I blame the 1st two record labels they signed with for that.  The Wembley DVD was released in a timely manner.  Right?

You might be right, the Wembley DVD might have come out on time, but wasn't Live from Amsterdam delayed for a really long time? Like over a year or something? Maybe thats what I'm remembering...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #941 on: March 24, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
Yep, the Live From Amsterdam DVD was delayed.  It was slotted to be released in 2009, wasn't released until early 2011.  That was somewhat of an ugly moment for them.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #942 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
Yep, the Live From Amsterdam DVD was delayed.  It was slotted to be released in 2009, wasn't released until early 2011.  That was somewhat of an ugly moment for them.

Ah, yeah that must be what I'm remembering! Well since all those old record label issues have been sorted out, this new live album shouldn't be effected by those circumstances.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #943 on: March 26, 2014, 01:58:42 AM »
Looks like 'Cry of Achilles' is going to be the next single!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #944 on: March 26, 2014, 03:33:02 AM »
Here's a really cool video that you have to check out. Fuse Follows did an episode with Mark and Myles. Really cool video, and more intimate than most. It follows Mark and Myles as they go to a vinyl record store and a guitar shop. I love the moments where they get super excited over guitars! There's also a cool moment with a Mayfield Four fan

https://www.fuse.tv/videos/2014/03/fuse-follows-alter-bridge#ooid=A4djNkbDq6-PF3r-d3juVgbixz_4aAb4

In the latest episode of Fuse Follows, hard rockers Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge let us tail them around NYC as they deliver a live radio performance, go record shopping in Greenwich Village and impulse-buy some vintage guitars.

While swinging through Q104.3 rock radio, singer-guitarist Kennedy and lead guitarist Tremonti play an acoustic a set and encounter a fan who tells Kennedy how much she loves his former band, The Mayfield Four, a relatively obscure act from the '90s.

"That record was so under the radar, there weren't that many copies printed," an astonished Kennedy says after the meeting. "So any time someone comes up and mentions they listened to it, it's nice."

Tremonti reminds Kennedy that Mayfield Four used to open for his old band—Creed—which is what connected the two in the first place. "That's why we came calling," Tremonti says. "I had a buddy who was like, 'Hey man, remember this band that used to open for you guys? The singer was amazing.' He had the CD in his car and was playing it. That's when I was like, 'Yeah, this guy is… he's okay.'"

Inside Greenwich Village's Generation Records, Tremonti explains the influence of thrash on his style. "Riff-wise, I take a lot from Slayer," he acknowledges. "But I didn’t realize it until I got older."

Flipping through old records, Kennedy comes across an LP from vocal legend Dionne Warwick. "Her string arranger actually gave me my very first shot," Kennedy recalls. "Back in the early '90s he produced a record I did with a group called Citizen Swing. Every time I hear Dionne Warwick I think of this guy, Joe Kloess, who gave me my first real shot. Gotta love Dionne for that."

To see Kennedy & Tremonti testing out two vintage guitars in a music store, watch the full episode of Fuse Follows above. As Tremonti puts it, "Who would have thought we'd walk into [a guitar shop] and spend my kid's tuition today?"