Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 257875 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Fortress
« Reply #840 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
All right, Lover is played live for the 1st time during the Stockholm show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFeMa7HLdc

So that's 9/12 of the Fortress songs played live, at least once.  That's a track record better than ABIII where they played only 10/14 songs live, at least once, during their tours in 2010-early 2012.

Whoa! Really cool performance! Myles seems totally into this song, awesome vocal performance by him.  He is sounding so, so strong on this tour.  I'm thinking the click track and new stage position are really helping him hear himself better, great results!  :metal

I think The Peace is Broken, All Ends Well and Fortress

I believe you are correct, those three are the only ones they haven't played off Fortress yet.  Rumor is that they played both All Ends Well and the song Fortress in sound check yesterday, before they let in the VIPs, so no video of those sound check performances yet, to the best of my knowledge.  But, thats a good sign those songs are coming soon!

I can't complain that they haven't played a lot of different songs off the new album, I just wish they would play more of them together all in one set still!

Offline Basekick

« Reply #841 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

Also, what solos do you all reckon Myles does play?  From what I can pick up, I'm thinking it's only the main solo in COA, and the trade off solos in the title track.

I think he plays on CoA, the second half of the Farther Than The Sun Solo (The super high pitched bends), half of Fortress.  I thought part of Bleed It Dry, but was rightfully put in my place  :P

Maybe the beginning Lover solo too.  Just a blind guess there given the feel and tone of it.  Could definitely be Mark though.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #842 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:50 AM »
Out of curiosity, where do you guys all see the band going musically from here on the next album? I have a few thoughts myself, based on a few songs off of Fortress.

• Cry of Achilles - I think/hope the band continues to expand on the Mastodon and Opeth influences shown on this song, refining the old school prog metal they dabbled about with on this album
  • Lover - I'm hoping Lover will mark a shift in how the band will write future ballads from here on out. I like All Ends Well, In Loving Memory and Wonderful Life fine enough, but they're cheesy as hell. The only ballad they've done so far in that style that I thought was really sincere was Watch Over You
  • Waters Rising - After this and WDTTW on the previous album, I suspect we'll see the band continue to expand on the Myles-Mark vocal dynamic (i.e. songs with Mark on lead vocals, or songs with Myles on lead vocals and then have Mark solo vocal sections)
  • Hopefully as a result of that, we'll also see Myles provide more guitar solos
  • Fortress - This, along with CoA, makes me suspect/hope that the band will pursue a more progressive direction on future albums

Thoughts?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #843 on: October 30, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
^^ I agree on the above and that's probably those are the directions that they could expand on after Fortress.

Still, for me, I would like to see a more scaled-back acoustic style album, even if it could turn out to be an EP.  Myles' voice is the best in that format, but the styles, you've listed above, are fine by me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #844 on: October 30, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
I think he plays on CoA, the second half of the Farther Than The Sun Solo (The super high pitched bends), half of Fortress.  I thought part of Bleed It Dry, but was rightfully put in my place  :P

Maybe the beginning Lover solo too.  Just a blind guess there given the feel and tone of it.  Could definitely be Mark though.

The bluesy lick at the beginning of Lover is actually Mark, but I totally thought when I first heard it, it was Myles.

Out of curiosity, where do you guys all see the band going musically from here on the next album? I have a few thoughts myself, based on a few songs off of Fortress......
.....Thoughts?

I like some of your ideas.  I definitely think they will continue to touch on more progressive elements in their music.  I also think there will be more vocals from Mark as the band, and the fans, have really reacted well to Water Rising.  On the flip side, I agree that we will see more guitar leads and parts from Myles too. Thats the natural thing that will balance out more Mark vocals.

All in all, I just hope that they keep this momentum up from a great album in Fortress.  My biggest fear is that they will rush this tour and go back to side projects, etc...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #845 on: October 30, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
So after this awesomeness they're probably back to Slash and Creed again. It's a shame really, Full Circle (autotuned and chopped to crap) and the live shows have already proven that Scott Stapp just isn't the good vocalist he once was.

I think Myles Kennedy is clearly the better musician and singer, but when I listen to My Own Prison or even Human Clay.. that dude did have a very cool, powerful voice. Breaks my heart, really.

EDIT: Just saw some official footage from 2009 in which he was laugably bad. After that I checked out some 2012 videos, he seems to be doing much better.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:02:55 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #846 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »
I think after this tour Mark will go back to recording with his solo band for Tremonti which I'm really excited for! I'm always a fan of his more aggressive riff style writing! We could possibly see a Tremonti release late 2014.

I loved the direction for Fortress and I think it's their most progressive/dynamic album to date.

I really hope they expand on it next release!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #847 on: October 31, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »

I think Myles Kennedy is clearly the better musician and singer, but when I listen to My Own Prison or even Human Clay.. that dude did have a very cool, powerful voice. Breaks my heart, really.

There's no question Scott Stapp was a terrific singer in the beginning of his musical career, even with all the flack he (or rather Creed itself)  has gotten. Those two albums you mention are GREAT albums, and are the stand outs of the post-grunge era. Stapp had a fantastic crooning voice back then. Faceless Man, Pity For A Dime, Torn, Beautiful, and Wash Away Those Years have some of the best vocals he's performed.

But this is what happens when drugs, alcohol and the lack of discipline in taking care of your voice will do. There was a video posted of Creed performing Higher a few years ago on Leno where flares of the old Stapp were shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnzwCdrQ5Y

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #848 on: October 31, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »

There's no question Scott Stapp was a terrific singer in the beginning of his musical career, even with all the flack he (or rather Creed itself)  has gotten. Those two albums you mention are GREAT albums, and are the stand outs of the post-grunge era. Stapp had a fantastic crooning voice back then. Faceless Man, Pity For A Dime, Torn, Beautiful, and Wash Away Those Years have some of the best vocals he's performed.

Right on, I still play those records from time to time. I discovered them through Human Clay and was blown away by it. Then I checked out the debut, which I, after years and years think of as the better record. That record just has an authentic quality to it that no other Creed OR Alter Bridge album can touch IMO. That has to do with the songwriting, and especially the production. I enjoy that type of rawness.

I guess my expectations for Weathered were a bit too high. There's interesting stuff there all over the place, but they're surpressed by the boring and formulaic stuff. You can kind of hear their inspiration run dry on the record. 'Bullets' was a very cool heavy track though (the seeds of 'Ties That Bind' / the general heavy/fast approach of AB?).

This album cover  :rollin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:26:33 PM by PixelDream »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #849 on: November 01, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
I believe Stapp just released a solo album and I'm pretty sure Mark has said in interviews that he plans to do another solo record when AB finishes this tour supporting Fortress.  So its kinda seeming like a Creed album and/or tour is unlikely in the near future. 

For me personally, I'm totally cool with that.  I agree with what a couple of you have said, that on their first couple records there was a certain magic and Stapp's vocals were cool.  But, in recent Creed reunion attempts I have been really unimpressed with the shape his voice is in, his pitch control live is awful.  I was actually at the first Creed "reunion" show in Pittsburgh in 2009, it was the first show they had played together since 2002 and Stapp sounded really rough, and didn't really improve a ton throughout that tour if I remember right.  Full Circle had a couple cool tracks on it, but I would MUCH rather have another Mark solo record before another Creed record.

In a perfect world for me though, I would honestly like the AB guys to focus solely on AB.  I feel like AB touring in the BlackBird era was, overall, their peak live performances and it was before any Creed reunions, Slash projects, solo albums, etc... It was just AB, thats all these guys had and there was some sort of intangible element in their performances back then.  I don't know if that was the reason for it or not, but there was something. 

That being said, I am super encouraged by the videos I have been seeing of AB on this new Fortress tour, I think this is the best they have sounded since the BlackBird tour era I just mentioned above.  They seem to have a renewed energy, if they keep this up the sky is the limit.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #850 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
YES! Just got tickets 2nd hand (cheaper) for the AB show tonight in Amsterdam! My brother and I are going with both our girlfriends AND our mama! My mother's favorite AB tunes are Brand New Start and Blackbird.. I'm thinking she'll be lucky tonight. As for myself, I'm dying to hear 'Fortress' live.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #851 on: November 03, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »
YES! Just got tickets 2nd hand (cheaper) for the AB show tonight in Amsterdam! My brother and I are going with both our girlfriends AND our mama! My mother's favorite AB tunes are Brand New Start and Blackbird.. I'm thinking she'll be lucky tonight. As for myself, I'm dying to hear 'Fortress' live.

Can't wait to hear your experience. I really hope they come do a US tour afterwards. :)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #852 on: November 03, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »
Well, they've had an extended 4-day break in between shows and this is Amsterdam, after all.  Hopefully, they can debut Fortress and/or All Ends Well.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #853 on: November 03, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
I'm sure all of us are awaiting that kickass bridge on Fortress to be played live. And i'll wonder if they'll extend the play with some improv with those duel solos. People would lose their freakin minds!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #854 on: November 03, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »
No Fortress :(.

But what we did get was a revamped vision of what Alter Bridge can be. Gone are the days of awkward chorus FX on the vocals and songs being played too fast for their own good. A world of difference! They're playing with more respect to the original songs. With a steadier groove and the right tempo for each song, you get dragged in more, and Myles has the time for his vocals to give his full attention to every note. The results are scaringly good, at times even surpassing studio work. He did some ridiculously bluesy variations in the verses of Blackbird.

Great, great set. Amazing performance, the mix was really good, and I really thought the band were having a blast. There was always a gap in between songs but that's for a good purpose: the click track. Flip is really groovin' naturally with it.

Halestorm were great! Didn't know them so they were a nice surprise. That singer lady is amazing! She also came on stage with Myles for a beautiful version of Watch Over You.

Highlights:

Halestorm putting on a very energetic show
Cry of Achilles bridge (the huge break with the bass riff) and Myles' guitar solo. The sheer volume was breathtaking.
Brand New Start
BLACKBIRD - Don't ever drop that from the set please!
Calm The Fire vocal intro, huge!
Waters Rising with Myles announcing Mark on lead vox - that dude can sing!
Farther than the sun intro riff!
Slip to the Void
Broken Wings
Ghosts of Days Gone By - I don't wanna die!!
Watch Over You
Ties That Bind - doesn't get old
A bass pick from Brian Marshall that landed in my eye, and me finding it on the ground! Way cool!

Lowlights:

No Fortress

No optimal sound during the opener Addicted to Pain - but I'm thinking the band is doing that on purpose. Better have that one ruined by the sound than a song like Cry of Achilles.

People singing annoyingly loud and out of tune

CELLPHONES - I could rant a page full on this

Being the driver for the night

Okay.. Before Tomorrow Comes. I understand why they play it. It got a lot of love from the audience. Luckily they launched into Farther than the Sun straight after. Makes for a great contrast. Dragging Generic AB Song vs Extremy Badass RIFF Turned Up To Eleven and Tuned The F**k Down!

Verdict of the night:

Alter Bridge are (perhaps contrary to the ABIII tour) on top of their game and are perhaps the best ROCK band in the world today.  :metal

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:07:25 PM by PixelDream »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: November 03, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
I find it a bit odd that they don't play the title track from the new album.  It's probably the best on the album and would absolutely slay live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #856 on: November 03, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
I find it a bit odd that they don't play the title track from the new album.  It's probably the best on the album and would absolutely slay live.

That's exactly what my brother said after the gig. He wasn't aware that they still haven't played it and he was actually waiting for it throughout the set. We listened to 'Lover', 'All Ends Well' and the title track when we got home.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #857 on: November 04, 2013, 07:17:59 AM »

......Alter Bridge are (perhaps contrary to the ABIII tour) on top of their game and are perhaps the best ROCK band in the world today.  :metal

Great review! Thanks for posting it, sounds like an amazing time  :metal

Can't wait for US tour dates!!!  From what I've seen from this tour, I think you are right, AB is at the top of their game and should certainly be considered one of the best, if not the best hard rock band out there right now!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #858 on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:22 AM »

......Alter Bridge are (perhaps contrary to the ABIII tour) on top of their game and are perhaps the best ROCK band in the world today.  :metal

Great review! Thanks for posting it, sounds like an amazing time  :metal

Can't wait for US tour dates!!!  From what I've seen from this tour, I think you are right, AB is at the top of their game and should certainly be considered one of the best, if not the best hard rock band out there right now!

Thanks no prob thanks for reading! Another surprise was that upon leaving the gig, my mother - first AB concert for her -  told me it was pretty much the best (rock) concert she had ever been to. I have to give Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson or Radiohead that honor as far as I'm concerned, but I guess she's not too far off!

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #859 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
No Fortress :(.

But what we did get was a revamped vision of what Alter Bridge can be. Gone are the days of awkward chorus FX on the vocals and songs being played too fast for their own good. A world of difference! They're playing with more respect to the original songs. With a steadier groove and the right tempo for each song, you get dragged in more, and Myles has the time for his vocals to give his full attention to every note. The results are scaringly good, at times even surpassing studio work. He did some ridiculously bluesy variations in the verses of Blackbird.

Great, great set. Amazing performance, the mix was really good, and I really thought the band were having a blast. There was always a gap in between songs but that's for a good purpose: the click track. Flip is really groovin' naturally with it.

Halestorm were great! Didn't know them so they were a nice surprise. That singer lady is amazing! She also came on stage with Myles for a beautiful version of Watch Over You.

Highlights:

Halestorm putting on a very energetic show
Cry of Achilles bridge (the huge break with the bass riff) and Myles' guitar solo. The sheer volume was breathtaking.
Brand New Start
BLACKBIRD - Don't ever drop that from the set please!
Calm The Fire vocal intro, huge!
Waters Rising with Myles announcing Mark on lead vox - that dude can sing!
Farther than the sun intro riff!
Slip to the Void
Broken Wings
Ghosts of Days Gone By - I don't wanna die!!
Watch Over You
Ties That Bind - doesn't get old
A bass pick from Brian Marshall that landed in my eye, and me finding it on the ground! Way cool!

Lowlights:

No Fortress

No optimal sound during the opener Addicted to Pain - but I'm thinking the band is doing that on purpose. Better have that one ruined by the sound than a song like Cry of Achilles.

People singing annoyingly loud and out of tune

CELLPHONES - I could rant a page full on this

Being the driver for the night

Okay.. Before Tomorrow Comes. I understand why they play it. It got a lot of love from the audience. Luckily they launched into Farther than the Sun straight after. Makes for a great contrast. Dragging Generic AB Song vs Extremy Badass RIFF Turned Up To Eleven and Tuned The F**k Down!

Verdict of the night:

Alter Bridge are (perhaps contrary to the ABIII tour) on top of their game and are perhaps the best ROCK band in the world today.  :metal

Awesome. Glad you had a great time Pixel :metal

I agree on AB being the best hard rock band right now as well!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #860 on: November 06, 2013, 08:18:08 AM »
It was just announced that Alter Bridge will be supporting Aerosmith to close out the Download Festival next summer!! This means they are the MAIN SUPPORT to Aerosmith on the final night of the festival, great time slot at about 7 or 7:30pm on the last night.  They will get about 70-75 minutes of set time.

This is a huge deal for AB! So proud of them!!  :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:24 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that Fortress is AB's best album.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #862 on: November 07, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »

Careful dude... that limbs about to break. :biggrin:

p.s. - Duhhhhhhhh!

Offline Basekick

« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2013, 08:40:50 AM »

About time!   :tup
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

Well, obviously~ :tup :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:22 AM »
I just didn't want to jump the gun and be hasty, but it really is their best, by quite a long mile too.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #866 on: November 08, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
I just didn't want to jump the gun and be hasty, but it really is their best, by quite a long mile too.

Yeah, I was in the same boat.  I wanted to give the album time to sit for a little, but at this point I agree with you. I consider it their best work! Hopefully now the band catches on and starts playing more songs from it live!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #867 on: November 08, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Yeah, it really is. My first listen was I took a step back from thinking that because I wanted it to sink in. I thought maybe because I was being a fan boy. But honestly, the album exceeded my expectations, and they were pretty high.

I have to say, "Lover" is their best ballad since "Burn It Down" off their first record, and BID is in my top five AB songs of all time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
Lover has grown on me a lot.  I still might like Watch Over You better, but it's a perfect addition to the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #869 on: November 13, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
Looks like they might finally play the title track to Fortress tomorrow:

Hopefully they do!!  :tup

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #870 on: November 13, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
Yes!! :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #871 on: November 15, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »
...And... They didn't play it... Haha hopefully next show!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #872 on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
This is as good as it gets, everyone.  They finally played it in their final show of this Europe tour.  Hopefully, they can keep playing it, because this is just outright awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJQunW4uwY

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #873 on: November 19, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
This is as good as it gets, everyone.  They finally played it in their final show of this Europe tour.  Hopefully, they can keep playing it, because this is just outright awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJQunW4uwY

Alright!! That was great!  :tup

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #874 on: November 21, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
Rumors are now floating around that AB has pushed their US tour back to late spring rather than the beginning of the year  :sad: