Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256559 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Fortress
« Reply #805 on: October 23, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
Yeah, as much as I enjoyed the Wembley gig, the set was VERY Blackbird heavy. 8 songs from that, 3 from ABIII, 3 from ODR and 4 from Fortress.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #806 on: October 23, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
I've been following the start of their UK tour to support the album... And I have to say I'm very dissapointed at the lack of new Fortress material in the sets. Honestly, they did pre tour rehearsals, so they should be prepared to play more than 4 songs from the new record every night.

Plus there are just so many songs on Fortress that would work well live... I really hope they are just starting off conservative and will begin to incorporate more and more new material. The set is so BB heavy... I mean it's a great album but, this is a tour to support Fortress, which is arguably just as great as BB, right?
Yeah, as much as I enjoyed the Wembley gig, the set was VERY Blackbird heavy. 8 songs from that, 3 from ABIII, 3 from ODR and 4 from Fortress.

They actually played 3 songs off of Fortress the other night, from what I've heard. And the annoying thing is that there's videos of the band playing both Calm the Fire and Lover live during their soundchecks lately. I have no idea why the band is being so conservative on this. I really hope they increase the number of Fortress songs they play live by the time they get back to the States.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #807 on: October 24, 2013, 12:45:06 AM »
One of the problem is the sense of entitlement from the fanbase. In Glasgow they played an extra song from Fortress (ok so it was Cry A River which is probably the least good song on the album) in place of Metalingus, and people were whining about it online, so they brought Metalingus back. Myles actually told the crowd that at the Wembley show.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #808 on: October 24, 2013, 01:41:46 AM »
I remember during the beginning of the ABIII, they did something similiar to what they are doing now. Maybe 3-4 ABIII songs, but a slew of BB and ODR songs. I think it was the middle of that tour they finally played Words Darker Than Their Wings. It's strange that they are doing this. You'd they would be excited to play the new stuff. Maybe they are to appease the fans of the older albums? I guess you can't make everyone happy. I just can't fucking wait to see footage of the duel guitar solos from the song Fortress

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #809 on: October 24, 2013, 06:33:51 AM »
I remember during the beginning of the ABIII, they did something similiar to what they are doing now. Maybe 3-4 ABIII songs, but a slew of BB and ODR songs. I think it was the middle of that tour they finally played Words Darker Than Their Wings. It's strange that they are doing this. You'd they would be excited to play the new stuff. Maybe they are to appease the fans of the older albums? I guess you can't make everyone happy. I just can't fucking wait to see footage of the duel guitar solos from the song Fortress

You should see some of the babies on the abnation forum.  Tears are running down their faces as they cry about not hearing the entire Fortress album at the new shows.  Really?  This is not "An evening with..." show.  It's a modern rock band with 4 albums and a fan base that stretches 9 years.  I read someone say, "What about all the new fans that like fortress because it's different, but don't really like the older material?  They must have been really disappointed."  I can't say I would be disappointed if they played only the entire new album, but there are a lot of other songs I'd like to hear as well.  I guess that's the difference between a long-time, life-time AB fan and these "noob" fans that only like the new material because it's heavier, or whatever.  I guess I just get tired of people complaining about not getting exactly what they want, as if everyone can be pleased.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #810 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »
Tears are running down their faces as they cry about not hearing the entire Fortress album at the new shows.  Really?  This is not "An evening with..." show.  It's a modern rock band with 4 albums and a fan base that stretches 9 years.

I totally agree that it is unrealistic to expect AB to play the new album in it's entirety, but I think since the tour is clearly in support of the new album, it should be represented more.

I guess that's the difference between a long-time, life-time AB fan and these "noob" fans that only like the new material because it's heavier, or whatever.

I have been a fan since ODR, and I love all of the band's material. But I've seen the band play live several times, so I'd like to see some more new material when I pay money to go to a show.

I think there are certainly songs from all three of their previous albums that they should play, IMO those would include:

ODR:
Open Your Eyes
Metalingus
Broken Wings

BB:
Come to Life
Brand New Start
Rise Today
Blackbird
White Knuckles

ABIII:
Slip to the Void
Isolation
Ghosts Of Days Gone By
All Hope is Gone

Thats 12 songs from previous albums.  They have been playing 18 songs on most nights so far on this tour.  That leaves room for 6 songs from Fortress. Playing 6 songs off the new record rather than 3 or 4 would be fantastic.  It allows them to somewhat evenly represent their back catalog, BUT play more songs from the new album, which they are promoting, than from any other one previous album.

Thats what makes sense to me, either way I'm eagerly awaiting the US tour dates to be announced as I'm sure I'll go see them as long as they are coming remotely close to me, regardless of the particulars of the set.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #811 on: October 24, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
You should see some of the babies on the abnation forum.  Tears are running down their faces as they cry about not hearing the entire Fortress album at the new shows.  Really?This is not "An evening with..." show.  It's a modern rock band with 4 albums and a fan base that stretches 9 years.  I read someone say, "What about all the new fans that like fortress because it's different, but don't really like the older material?  They must have been really disappointed."  I can't say I would be disappointed if they played only the entire new album, but there are a lot of other songs I'd like to hear as well.  I guess that's the difference between a long-time, life-time AB fan and these "noob" fans that only like the new material because it's heavier, or whatever.  I guess I just get tired of people complaining about not getting exactly what they want, as if everyone can be pleased.

Uh dude, as someone who posts over at abnation, I think you're overexaggerating a bit.

I openly admit that I'm one of the people there that have expressed my issue with the recent setlists, but I never would expect or want the band to play the entire Fortress album at their shows. I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that the band is playing a setlist that is

a) insanely heavy on Blackbird songs in particular, which has been what the band has been playing live for the past several tours,
b) only contains 3-5 songs off of their new album that they're supporting right now
c) doesn't really represent One Day Remains or AB III well either

I'd be totally fine if the band played 6-7 Fortress songs, 5-6 Blackbird songs, 4-5 ABIII songs and 4-5 ODR songs. And as far as I can tell from the other people at abnations that have also expressed their dissatisfaction with the setlists, they seem to have the same mindset.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #812 on: October 25, 2013, 12:04:46 AM »
Calm the Fire is played for the 1st time live in their Paris show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWxcEL5dbc

Great stuff, despite some awkward moments that comes naturally into playing a new song in front of a live audience for the 1st time, added to the fact that this song is really tough to sing.  Also, the crowd responded really well to it.  Overall, good signs, all around.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #813 on: October 25, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »
One of the problem is the sense of entitlement from the fanbase. In Glasgow they played an extra song from Fortress (ok so it was Cry A River which is probably the least good song on the album) in place of Metalingus, and people were whining about it online, so they brought Metalingus back. Myles actually told the crowd that at the Wembley show.
This never happened - they played Melalingus at Glasgow and didn't play Cry A River.

Also I reckon these types of setlists are more aimed at "noob" fans sylvan, since long time fans have likely seen 80% of the songs played multiple times and wouldn't mind something different, where as people at their first or second gig will be more keen to see the classics.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #814 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:45 AM »
This never happened - they played Melalingus at Glasgow and didn't play Cry A River.
Ok must have got the place wrong, but it was definitely one of the earlier shows on the UK part of the tour.

EDIT: Turns out I meant Nottingham, Glasgow was later in the tour, after Wembley.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #815 on: October 25, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Calm the Fire is played for the 1st time live in their Paris show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWxcEL5dbc

Great stuff, despite some awkward moments that comes naturally into playing a new song in front of a live audience for the 1st time, added to the fact that this song is really tough to sing.  Also, the crowd responded really well to it.  Overall, good signs, all around.

See thats what I'm talking about, I really liked that! I would much rather them play more new songs off this album and have those songs be a little tricky at first than to just fill the set with old songs they are comfortable with.  Was that a perfect performance? Heck no.  But was it really good? Absolutely!!

Like you said, that was the first live performance in front of an audience, so its bound to have little awkward or imperfect moments here and there, but after they play it a few more times, I think that will end up being one of my favorite songs in their live show, its such a great tune on the record, and I thought it translated well into a live environment there, especially considering it was the live debut of the song.

I haven't checked out the full set list from the Paris show yet, but I'm hoping now that Shinedown is done with their leg of the tour, AB will extend their set to be a couple songs longer, and I'm hoping those couple songs are Fortress material!

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #816 on: October 25, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »
Grr.. they better play Fortress when I'm seeing them november 3th! No, I would definitely enjoy the show, but that song would really be the icing on the cake.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #817 on: October 25, 2013, 07:57:57 AM »
Would much prefer a track from Fortress instead of Before Tomorrow Comes...

Otherwise not a bad set!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #818 on: October 25, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
I haven't checked out the full set list from the Paris show yet, but I'm hoping now that Shinedown is done with their leg of the tour, AB will extend their set to be a couple songs longer, and I'm hoping those couple songs are Fortress material!

Haha! Never mind about this comment! Just looked at the full set and they took out Farther Than The Sun to play Calm the Fire.... So still only 4 Fortress songs... And 8 BB songs.... Wow.... I just don't get it, they really need to do proper tour rehearsals in order to practice the newer songs and figure how to build a set list with the newer songs being incorporated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »

Otherwise not a bad set!

I don't understand personally why the band keep playing this song.  It's probably one of my least fav AB tracks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #820 on: October 25, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »

Otherwise not a bad set!

I don't understand personally why the band keep playing this song.  It's probably one of my least fav AB tracks.

Yeah, I'm tempted to call it the "Fear of the Dark" of Alter Bridge's setlist.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #821 on: October 25, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

Otherwise not a bad set!

Before Tomorrow Comes is literally my least favourite AB album track (least favourite other than Save Me, I think), so other than hoping to see new stuff, not seeing Before Tomorrow Comes for a 5th time was my other most wanted aspect of the setlist...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #822 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »
Ok, at least, ever since they got out of the UK arena shows, they have started slowly debuting new songs.  Here's Bleed it Dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qea5hPGwzzM

This is a good progress, now they need to do the hardest (to them) part of this process. Slowly phasing out two or three Blackbird songs. 

I don't why, but I feel that they are going to debut Fortress (song) at the Amsterdam show since that is going to be the 3rd time in five years that they have played in the same venue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: October 28, 2013, 04:13:19 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about BTC.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #824 on: October 28, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »
So, are the band still playing the songs way too fast? Songs like Find The Real and Come to Life really lose the groovy quality the studio versions have. Such a shame, and so unnecessary!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #825 on: October 28, 2013, 07:31:26 AM »
So, are the band still playing the songs way too fast? Songs like Find The Real and Come to Life really lose the groovy quality the studio versions have. Such a shame, and so unnecessary!

No, they're playing the songs at the right speed now. I think that coupled with Myles relocating to a spot onstage where he can hear everything better have a lot to do with the band's improved performances this tour, aside from the somewhat disappointing setlists (which are slowly being improved on).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #826 on: October 28, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »

No, they're playing the songs at the right speed now. I think that coupled with Myles relocating to a spot onstage where he can hear everything better have a lot to do with the band's improved performances this tour, aside from the somewhat disappointing setlists (which are slowly being improved on).

Agreed.  Also Flip is using a click track to keep himself in time for some of the songs.  I know he is using it for most of, if not all the new songs they are playing and some of the older ones as well.  To the best of my knowledge, this is the first tour AB has ever used a click and it has helped their live performance tons!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about BTC.

It's interesting that several people on this board don't like that song very much, I always thought most people loved it.  Personally, I think its okay, not bad, but certainly not one of their better ones.  I would love for them to remove it from the set to be replaced by a Fortress song.

Ok, at least, ever since they got out of the UK arena shows, they have started slowly debuting new songs.  Here's Bleed it Dry.
This is a good progress, now they need to do the hardest (to them) part of this process. Slowly phasing out two or three Blackbird songs. 

Bleed It Dry sounds great! One of my favorites off the record and it comes across really well live.  The more they play this tune, the better it will sound.  I could see this being a live staple in their set that sticks around for years (at least I hope)... That solo by Mark might be his best ever.... Simply fantastic!!

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #827 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »
Great to hear that the band is tighter!

Offline Basekick

« Reply #828 on: October 28, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

I don't why, but I feel that they are going to debut Fortress (song) at the Amsterdam show since that is going to be the 3rd time in five years that they have played in the same venue.

Great video, thanks for linking it!  It's really interesting to see them play that one live. 

It was my understanding that the bridge solos were split between Myles and Tremonti, but in order to keep the same feel of the song for the live performance, they had Tremonti do both solos as Myles did the fingerpicking underneath.  The feel of the first solo is completely different then the studio track simply because it's not Tremonti's style at all.  Might need a bigger OD pedal shift entering the second solo, but good on him for learning it and nailing it! 
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #829 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
It was my understanding that the bridge solos were split between Myles and Tremonti, but in order to keep the same feel of the song for the live performance, they had Tremonti do both solos as Myles did the fingerpicking underneath.  The feel of the first solo is completely different then the studio track simply because it's not Tremonti's style at all.  Might need a bigger OD pedal shift entering the second solo, but good on him for learning it and nailing it!

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty darn sure that the Bleed It Dry solo is 100% Mark in the studio, which is why it is 100% Mark live.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #830 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty darn sure that the Bleed It Dry solo is 100% Mark in the studio, which is why it is 100% Mark live.

Then mark me impressed!  (sorry for the pun...)

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #831 on: October 28, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »
Then mark me impressed!  (sorry for the pun...)

Haha! Nice one!  :rollin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #832 on: October 28, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »

I dunno, at Wembley some of the songs were still pretty fast. Weirdly, it's the songs that are already fast that they play at breakneck speed which makes them slightly uncomfortable at times. The slower and more mid-tempo songs they absolutely nail though!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: October 29, 2013, 04:18:26 AM »

Great video, thanks for linking it!  It's really interesting to see them play that one live. 

No chance, all Tremonti.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #834 on: October 29, 2013, 08:31:54 AM »
No chance, all Tremonti.

Yep! In my opinion, certainly one of his best solos ever, if not the best!  :metal

Offline Basekick

« Reply #835 on: October 29, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
No chance, all Tremonti.

Yep! In my opinion, certainly one of his best solos ever, if not the best!  :metal

Definitely agree!  Now that I know it's Mark all the way through, I would certainly rank it up in his top 5.  Amazing solo!

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #836 on: October 29, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »

No chance, all Tremonti.

Def all Tremonti

5:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUq4mh3G0s

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #837 on: October 29, 2013, 11:42:45 PM »
All right, Lover is played live for the 1st time during the Stockholm show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFeMa7HLdc

So that's 9/12 of the Fortress songs played live, at least once.  That's a track record better than ABIII where they played only 10/14 songs live, at least once, during their tours in 2010-early 2012.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: October 30, 2013, 04:41:43 AM »
So what 3 songs haven't been played?

Also, what solos do you all reckon Myles does play?  From what I can pick up, I'm thinking it's only the main solo in COA, and the trade off solos in the title track.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #839 on: October 30, 2013, 07:36:45 AM »
I think The Peace is Broken, All Ends Well and Fortress