Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256556 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Fortress
« Reply #735 on: September 30, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »
I think the new AB could possible beat DT12 :)

Could?

It's without a doubt for me.  I have given it about 6-7 listens so far, and I'm debating where it ranks for my favorite albums EVER.

I really feel like the band wrote this record asking themselves "Can we write the perfect album for Basekick?"

IMO, the most underrated part of this incredible album is both the drum production and overall feel.  I listened to ABIII and Blackbird after digesting a lot of Fortress, and the grooves are a lot more mid-tempo, with less dynamics and rarely grooving in half-time.  In contrast, Fortress features half-time in what seems like every song on the album, not to mention a consistent fluid change between tempos to give each riff, melody, and section its own feel.

Furthermore, the sound of the drums on Fortress are absolutely HUGE.  It reminds me a bit of dubstep in a way, since there is an immense focus on a giant, thundering, and spacious kick drum, followed by a vicious and roaring snare.

I highly recommend taking a spin of the record and only listening to Flip play.  It's incredible.

I'm right there with you. This is seriously rivaling Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding as my new favorite album. It's an absolute masterpiece of an album. :metal :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #736 on: October 01, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »
This has been a great year for music for my taste, and Fortress is the icing on the cake!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #737 on: October 01, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »
This album keeps growing on me more and more!!!

Can't wait to pick it up at Best Buy next Tuesday to get the exclusive bonus track of "Outright" as well!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #738 on: October 03, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
4 more days until I can get my hands on the hardcopy!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #739 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
I'm getting ready to head to Orlando tomorrow.  I'll drive down in the morning, spend the day at Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival.  Drinks around the world, son :hat.  Then on to my first Alter Bridge concert in 5 years :metal.  It's gonna be (high voice) "awesome!"

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #740 on: October 04, 2013, 01:32:14 AM »
You enjoy it my friend. I just moved from Orlando to L.A., and this is going to be the first year I'm going to miss the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. Have a Hawaiian Pork Slider for me!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: October 04, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
This album keeps growing on me the more I listen to it, it's fantastic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #742 on: October 04, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
Hopefully there will be a big US tour as well! I really need to see these guys live

Offline Basekick

« Reply #743 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
Hopefully there will be a big US tour as well! I really need to see these guys live

I've already seen them three times, but I am absolutely DYING to see them again for the inevitable US tour.  Should be incredible.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #744 on: October 04, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
Do ya'll think there might be a tour with Dream Theater next year? These two bands and it's members seem to be collaborating lately, also being billed on the same record label. That would be some show!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #745 on: October 04, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Do ya'll think there might be a tour with Dream Theater next year? These two bands and it's members seem to be collaborating lately, also being billed on the same record label. That would be some show!

I like that idea.

However, one concern in order for a tour, like this, to work would be time.  AB is only touring for a limited amount of time before Myles is going to work with Slash, again, and Mark wants to do more stuff with his solo band.  I'm sure AB wants to headline as many shows as they possibly can and play as much new material as they can.  Which means that them being an opening or supporting band for a month or two may not pan out, as well, in the timeline.

If there were no other projects in queue for late 2014, I can totally see an AB/DT tour working and selling like 5-6k people per venue.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:55:21 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
Seeing them in two weeks! :caffeine:

Should be a really fun gig, both the support bands make very enjoyable music as well (Shinedown and Halestorm).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #747 on: October 05, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
That show was so good , son :metal.  Myles hasn't sounded that good in a while.  Truly amazing.  My heart rate is still reset by Brian's bass.  The heaviness was greater than any other AB shoe I've seen.

Addicted to Pain
White Knuckles
Come to Life
Before Tomorrow Comes
Farther Than the Sun
Brand New Start
Cry of Achilles
Ghosts of Days Gone By
The Uninvited
Ties That Bind
Cry a River
Blackbird
Rise today
-Marriage proposal
Isolation
Slip to the Void.
One Day Remains (thought they might not play it and I was getting nervous)
Open Your Eyes

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #748 on: October 05, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
In case I didn't mention it...MYLES OMG!  MYLES OMG!  MYLES OMG!  MYLES OMG!

:hefdaddy  :metal :hefdaddy :metal :hefdaddy :metal :hefdaddy

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #749 on: October 05, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
That show was so good , son :metal.  Myles hasn't sounded that good in a while.  Truly amazing.  My heart rate is still reset by Brian's bass.  The heaviness was greater than any other AB shoe I've seen.

Addicted to Pain
White Knuckles
Come to Life
Before Tomorrow Comes
Farther Than the Sun
Brand New Start
Cry of Achilles
Ghosts of Days Gone By
The Uninvited
Ties That Bind
Cry a River
Blackbird
Rise today
-Marriage proposal
Isolation
Slip to the Void.
One Day Remains (thought they might not play it and I was getting nervous)
Open Your Eyes

Sweet!!! I just watched some YouTube videos from the show and the band sounded amazing! The only thing that struck me as weird was the stage setup. Why was Myles not center stage ?! The whole stage setup looked really awkward with no one really in the middle of the stage... And Myles had to keep walking back and forth... They tucked their frontman in the back corner of the stage! Really odd!.... Hopefully this was just a one time thing for this one-off show and their full tour show production will be back to a normal stage setup!

The new songs sounded great though from what I've heard so far!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #750 on: October 05, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »

Sweet!!! I just watched some YouTube videos from the show and the band sounded amazing! The only thing that struck me as weird was the stage setup. Why was Myles not center stage ?! The whole stage setup looked really awkward with no one really in the middle of the stage... And Myles had to keep walking back and forth... They tucked their frontman in the back corner of the stage! Really odd!.... Hopefully this was just a one time thing for this one-off show and their full tour show production will be back to a normal stage setup!

The new songs sounded great though from what I've heard so far!

I think it's probably due to Flip's drum sound affecting Myles' hearing when he is position center stage and they probably think that Myles moving, from the audience angle, to the left side of the stage, may help it?  Just a hypothesis, here.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #751 on: October 05, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Bummed All Hope Is Gone was no where in that set. That should be a staple song!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #752 on: October 06, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »
I think it's probably due to Flip's drum sound affecting Myles' hearing when he is position center stage and they probably think that Myles moving, from the audience angle, to the left side of the stage, may help it?  Just a hypothesis, here.

Yeah that's true, I guess I just figured they would put the drum shield back up around Flips cymbals like they did last tour... But maybe the problem with Myles' ears is worse.  The set up just looked real awkward to me, but it was just a one-off show so we will see what they do for the tour.

They sounded great though which is the important part, can't wait to see some US tour dates!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #753 on: October 08, 2013, 01:22:14 AM »
ITS HERE!!!

God it sounds great without all that compression from the youtube album stream. Brian's bassplaying has such a strong, prominent presence.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #754 on: October 08, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »
Just listened to 'Ouright' online, and I'm a bit happy they left it off the main album.

It sounds like it fits well into the ABIII tracks, and by no means is a bad song, but it's probably the worst of the Fortress songs.  Maybe Cry a River is right there as well, but the other 11 tracks of Fortress are miles ahead of it.

I can't wait to get my copy of Fortress in the mail today!  The sole complaint I have with the album is the lack of audio depth in the mix, and I have a good feeling that the CD version will be a lot better than the stream.

:metal :metal :metal

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #755 on: October 08, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »
Got my hard copy yesterday. The album sounds MASSIVE in the car  :metal

Every time the bridge/ending riff of Addicted to Pain comes on, I can't stop nodding my head!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #756 on: October 08, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
Just listened to 'Ouright' online, and I'm a bit happy they left it off the main album.

It sounds like it fits well into the ABIII tracks, and by no means is a bad song, but it's probably the worst of the Fortress songs.  Maybe Cry a River is right there as well, but the other 11 tracks of Fortress are miles ahead of it.

I can't wait to get my copy of Fortress in the mail today!  The sole complaint I have with the album is the lack of audio depth in the mix, and I have a good feeling that the CD version will be a lot better than the stream.

:metal :metal :metal

I actually thought of One Day Remains when I listened to Outright. However, I agree that it's for the best that they left it off the main album. Really doesn't fit well with the rest of Fortress.

My copy should come in the mail in the next couple of hours or so. Pretty excited! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #757 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
As soon as I get off work today, I'm heading straight to Best Buy to pick up Fortress with the bonus track, I cant wait!!  :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: October 08, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
IMO the cd production and/or mastering sounds pretty messy.  All the instruments seem to just blend together into one big blur at times.  It could have used a little more bottom end too.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #759 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
6 tracks into my first listen. First impression: Holy shit!

Offline Basekick

« Reply #760 on: October 08, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
6 tracks into my first listen. First impression: Holy shit!

I had the very same reaction  :D

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #761 on: October 08, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
IMO the cd production and/or mastering sounds pretty messy.  All the instruments seem to just blend together into one big blur at times.  It could have used a little more bottom end too.

I actually think this is the best sounding AB album  :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #762 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:48 AM »

Same here. I mean, it's pretty loud as all Roadrunner albums are, but it's very clear and crisp and powerful.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: October 09, 2013, 04:13:29 AM »
Funny that, just at times it seems messy, but overall I still think it sounds decent enough.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #764 on: October 09, 2013, 05:26:26 AM »

Same here. I mean, it's pretty loud as all Roadrunner albums are, but it's very clear and crisp and powerful.

Yeah, I just listened to three songs off the album in my dad's Honda on the drive up to my campus. It sounded fantastic. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #765 on: October 09, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »
My first reaction was that this album's production is fantastic. But when compared to ABIII, it really isn't much better. When I put on 'Still Remains', and the riff comes in, air is moved. You can hear everything clearly, every instrument has space (while still being a loud master). This one is a little muddy (Fortress), but it is by no means unacceptable.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #766 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:37 AM »
I'm watching some low quality bootlegs of the Orlando show on YouTube right now, and I noticed that the new songs REALLY come to life in a live setting. Hell, the band played the two songs most people think are the weakest on the album, and those songs sound terrific live! The band really knocked it out of the ballpark with this album! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #767 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »
Got the album last night after work, it sounded smoking hot in my car!! I had listened to the stream of the album quite a bit, so I was pretty familiar with the songs, but the sound was obviously greatly improved moving from the stream to the actual CD.

As far as the production is concerned, I think its pretty good! The mix is better overall than ABIII.  On ABIII I really struggled to hear the bass and drums at times and I felt like that hurt the way some of the songs translated on the recording.  Having that nice big sounding rhythm section is so important.  Fortress seems to have fixed that issue, as the drums and bass are much more audible and seem to sit in a nice spot in the mix with all the guitar layers. 

I will certainly agree that it is a hot Road Runner-style master, which does at times seem to hurt the overall sound quality and makes things a little messy at points, but overall I would say that I like the production.  Definitely a step in the right direction from the AB guys sonically as well as musically, IMO.

Now having the CD and being able to crank it in my car, a few songs really stand out to me. 

Bleed it Dry- Absolutely killer track, super heavy and then the breakdown to Myles playing those jazzy chords and Marks solo, great stuff there.

Lover - Listening to this song on the stream, I liked it.  The first time listening to it in my car, full volume, I was blown away.  Goosebumps the entire song, and it almost brought me to tears, gorgeous track.

Cry of Achilles - Can't say enough good things about this track, the different arrangements, the big, soaring chorus, Myles' guitar solo, all great stuff from the guys.

All Ends Well - I think this song is great, and it really stands out compared to the tone of the rest of the album.  Really great chorus here from Myles and some interesting lyrics, I liked it a lot.

I only listened to the album through All Ends Well, so I still haven't heard the title track Fortress properly yet (heard it on the stream, but playing this album full volume, full quality is proving to unlock many of these songs for me).  Also, I haven't gotten to the bonus track "Outright" yet either.

Still more to go and I can safely say that this is an absolutely brilliant effort from AB! Loving it!  :metal :metal

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #768 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »
Awwwwwwww, yeah.  This is the album of the year for me. Loving Addicted to Pain, Waters Rising, All Ends Well, Title Track, and Cry of Achilles.

I'm going cry in tears of joy.  This album makes me happy.  Obviously, well worth the price of buying it.  :metal

Edit: Here are my thoughts while I was listening to this in its entirety.

All right, Cry of Achilles. Holy Crap, what a start. For a 6:30 min. song, it doesn't feel that way. That Bass in the beginning in the bridge. Magnificent. The two solos are just greatness.

Addicted to Pain - Good idea to put this as the single.

Bleed it Dry. Good tempo, to somewhat slow things down. Pretty similar tempo to All Hope Is Gone. Wow, the time signatures is all over the place with this one.

Only three songs in, and of course, this is my album of the year.

Lover is dark. I love it. Wow, this bridge lyrics has a lot of attitude in it. This is probably one of the few instances that I like that there's no solo. Wouldn't have fitted the mood.

The Uninvited - Pretty Haunting. Good background vocal pitch from Mark, I think.

Loving the chorus and bridge verse from Peace is Broken. Another well played solo, as well.

Halfway done. This is a good winner.

Calm the Fire. That's a nice little nugget in the first 1:20 min. Probably the best song so far. The little synth nods are all right.

Waters Rising - Good guitar riff. Mark's vocals are pretty good. This is probably the most enjoyable, for me to listen to, song of the album, so far. Reminds me a bit of White Knuckles.

Farther than the Sun sounds like this could be their 2nd single of the album cycle. Yeah, this is going to be most likely their next single.

Cry a River pretty much solidifies the theme of the album. So much anger towards this one person. I'm loving it.

All Ends Well. Time for the ballad, baby. Quite the 180 degree turn from the last song. I'm loving it. For once, I'm not going to cry (NVM, I did cry. Tears of Joy, not sorrow this time). Finally, an AB ballad that shows that light as oppose to finding that light at the end of the tunnel. This might be the 3rd or 4th single to fit the alternative rock radio song bill. Now that I think of it, this reminds me a bit of Shinedown's Amaryllis (song).

Sounds like All Ends Well is the closer, however, one more to go (well, technically, two more to go). Time for them to shoot for epic with title track.

Oh yeah, the chorus is probably the best one of the album. The Fortress is coming down, baby!!!!! Well, this is a sudden change of pace in the time signature. Right into the solo!!! The only thing we can't say about this album is that they did rely too heavily on the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-solo formula.

The funny about that 7:30 song. I actually wanted that song to be a little longer, it's that good.

Turbomegladong (Outright) is pretty solid as a b-side, but like most would say, it would not really fit in the actual album. It's still a great track. Never say die, on anything.

I retract my last statement about All Ends Well would have closed it, Outright could have easily done a better job of being a closer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:59:52 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #769 on: October 09, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
I'm in the love with the duel guitar solos on the title track. God, i can't wait to see THAT live