Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256672 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Fortress
« Reply #700 on: September 24, 2013, 06:32:14 AM »
There are loads of solos on this album, definitely more than half the songs, and some of the songs have more than one solo. Dunno what people are on about!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #701 on: September 24, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
There are loads of solos on this album, definitely more than half the songs, and some of the songs have more than one solo. Dunno what people are on about!

Yeah, this. I will also add that the songs without any solos are also brilliant, especially Calm the Fire. Myles sings his ass off on that song and the riff-a-rama on that track sounds like it's straight off of Mindcrime! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #702 on: September 24, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »

ha yeah there are a lot of solos! I just mentioned the ones that stood out at the first couple listens :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #703 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »

Yeah, this. I will also add that the songs without any solos are also brilliant, especially Calm the Fire. Myles sings his ass off on that song and the riff-a-rama on that track sounds like it's straight off of Mindcrime! :metal
Calm the Fire is so good!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #704 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »
Calm the Fire is so good!

Yeah I'm really loving that song too! Great to see all the positive reactions to this record, I've listened to it several times all the way through and I am really loving it! It keeps getting better each time!

Great job AB!  :tup

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #705 on: September 24, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »
Preordered from Best Buy as well :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #706 on: September 24, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
'Cry of Achilles' is an instant classic. Best song since 'Blackbird' for me. Almost as good, which is saying a lot.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #707 on: September 24, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
Yeah, this album rules. Lover is such a MF4 song, and the experimentation on Calm the Fire just blows me away. Such a step up from the last two albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: September 24, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »

That's good to hear.  Not that it's a huge issue, but I feel Tremonti always kind of short changed himself in the way of guitar solos.  Great to see such positive reviews for this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #709 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
i've tried AB before and never really liked it. This album is really good though. Good job Mrs Lowdz has just got a new job  ;D

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #710 on: September 25, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »
Amazing album. Listened  to it 2 times on my run this morning.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #711 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
Well, well, look the guitar powers we got here on a French magazine cover.  I found this via Mark's twitter.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #713 on: September 25, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
That's a damn fine cover

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #714 on: September 26, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but there are some epic vocal moments on this album. Really great performances from Myles!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #715 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but there are some epic vocal moments on this album. Really great performances from Myles!

Yes, absolutely! I think what I really am digging about this album the more I listen to it is the fact that every member has the opportunity (or in this case several opportunities) to really shine.

Myles has SO many great vocal moments and also plenty of great guitar moments too, with solos and his amazing intro for CoA, just to name a few.

Mark has a ton of great signature Tremonti riffs and solos, several of which are among the best he's done, not to mention a lead vocal spot for the first time on an AB record!

Brian lays down some great bass grooves through out the album and has moments to shine through like in CoA, where the distorted bass part carries the band into the bridge.

Flip sounds simply amazing as well.  To say his drumming has improved since ABIII would be a large understatement.  Plenty of great grooves with Brian throughout, and his feet seem to have improved quite a bit and he really used that to highlight some of the guitar riffs in ways he previously never did.

All around great performances by the entire band!  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #716 on: September 26, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
Absolutely amazing, addictive album. I care just a little bit less about 'Peace is Broken', 'Cry A River' and 'All Ends Well'. Those three aren't bad songs by any means, but the rest is brilliant. Especially the first and last track. CoA and the title track definitely live up to the grandeur of THE song by Alter Bridge, 'Blackbird'. Those tracks aren't copying Blackbird in any way, but I feel a similar emotion in both tracks. Maybe I'd lump 'Words Darker Than Their Wings' in there too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: September 26, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
Mark has a ton of great signature Tremonti riffs and solos, several of which are among the best he's done, not to mention a lead vocal spot for the first time on an AB record

What about Words Darker Than Their Wings?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #718 on: September 26, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
Mark has a ton of great signature Tremonti riffs and solos, several of which are among the best he's done, not to mention a lead vocal spot for the first time on an AB record

Pretty sure Myles sings a bit more than Mark does on that song. I always considered WDTTW to be more of a duet.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: September 26, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
Fair enough.  I haven't heard Fortress but just was wondering about that comment since Mark did in fact sing some lead vocals on that song.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #720 on: September 26, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
I'm really digging Lover. A Great, heartbroken, powerful song.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #721 on: September 27, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

Mark really just has a small section of the verses that he sings, I would say Myles sings 75 to 85 percent of that song.  What I meant was this was a TRUE lead vocal spot for him, taking both the first and second verse and all the choruses as the lead.  Really all Myles does is harmonies and lead on the bridge, so this song would be more like 75 percent of Mark leading.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: September 27, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
That's cool man.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #723 on: September 27, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Mark really just has a small section of the verses that he sings, I would say Myles sings 75 to 85 percent of that song.  What I meant was this was a TRUE lead vocal spot for him, taking both the first and second verse and all the choruses as the lead.  Really all Myles does is harmonies and lead on the bridge, so this song would be more like 75 percent of Mark leading.

As good as the record is, Mark taking the lead vocally in one song is more than welcome. His vocals are very good and powerful. But that moment when Myles takes the bridge is easily one of my favorite moments on the record. These guys have really grown to bring out the best of both personalities. Vocally and guitar-wise too (the solos in the title track for instance).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: September 27, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
Well, Crucify me, but I prefer Mark's voice to Myles'.  Tremonti's solo record is my fav thing from him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: September 29, 2013, 04:28:09 AM »
Picked this up and am half way through it on my first listen.  There's a lot of music here and will definitely need a few listens to digest, but so far, I'm really impressed. 

COA was good but I need to hear it again.  Very different and original for AB.  Addicted to Pain has grown on me a lot.  Bleed it Dry is a highlight with an amazing Tremonti solo.  Lover was also something different but welcome.  The Uninvited was cool with a killer riff.  Peace is Broken might be my fav so far, great melodies and some classic AB in there.

Just finished Calm the Fire and that is also a highlight, what a fucking riff!  :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: September 29, 2013, 04:59:18 AM »
The album drops off a little in the second half.  Wasn't too keen on Waters Rising, Cry a River or All Ends Well, but Father Than the Sun is incredibly heavy and the title track is amazing.  That middle section is killer.  Seriously some amazing head banging riffs on this album.  Impressed on first listen.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #727 on: September 29, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
The album just gets better and better with repeated listens, IMO. :tup Cry of Achilles has grown so much on me since the first listen, and I think it might be my favorite AB song to date. On the other hand, Calm the Fire and Fortress both get better and better the more I listen to them too. :hefdaddy Dare I say it, but I seriously think the band might have topped the song Blackbird not just once, but three times on this album! :omg: :hefdaddy

Also Waters Rising really grew on me, wolfking. I see it as a companion piece to Bleed It Dry as a two-part story on the album about the apocalypse. :metal :hefdaddy :biggrin: Likewise, I see Calm the Fire as being a response to The Uninvited.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: September 29, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »
So you think this album is like a mini concept album?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #729 on: September 29, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
So you think this album is like a mini concept album?

I'm not sure. But I do think a couple songs are directly related to one another.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #730 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
I think the new AB could possible beat DT12 :)

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #731 on: September 30, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »
Man. Calm The Fire. Could be my favorite track on this record. Certainly my favorite Myles vocal performance in a long time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: September 30, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »

No chance of that for me.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #733 on: September 30, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »

Could?

It's without a doubt for me.  I have given it about 6-7 listens so far, and I'm debating where it ranks for my favorite albums EVER.

I really feel like the band wrote this record asking themselves "Can we write the perfect album for Basekick?"

IMO, the most underrated part of this incredible album is both the drum production and overall feel.  I listened to ABIII and Blackbird after digesting a lot of Fortress, and the grooves are a lot more mid-tempo, with less dynamics and rarely grooving in half-time.  In contrast, Fortress features half-time in what seems like every song on the album, not to mention a consistent fluid change between tempos to give each riff, melody, and section its own feel.

Furthermore, the sound of the drums on Fortress are absolutely HUGE.  It reminds me a bit of dubstep in a way, since there is an immense focus on a giant, thundering, and spacious kick drum, followed by a vicious and roaring snare.

I highly recommend taking a spin of the record and only listening to Flip play.  It's incredible.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #734 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
I just love the leap they took with this record. I feel like ABlll was trying make it so with tracks like Slip To The Void and All Hope Is Gone, but never could break out of the shell. With fortress, the shell was broken and has unleashed a beast of an album to the world.