Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256479 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. NEW SINGLE "Addicted To Pain"
« Reply #630 on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »
Cool video, but I have to say...I do miss the concept videos of old. Their Broken Wings video is amazing

Offline Accelerando

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. NEW SINGLE "Addicted To Pain"
« Reply #631 on: September 06, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
Tremonti talks about Fortress track by track!!!

MusicRadar.com
https://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/mark-tremonti-talks-alter-bridges-fortress-track-by-track-583219/13

When it came time for Alter Bridge to begin recording their upcoming fourth album, Fortress, the band members – lead vocalist-guitarist Myles Kennedy, lead guitarist-singer Mark Tremonti, bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips – decided to build on their prior LPs successes by playing fast and loose with song structures.

“We were pushing for unpredictability," Tremonti says. "The last thing we wanted was verse-chorus-verse-chorus and all that. Songs should have you never knowing what you're getting next. We messed with time signatures, tones, key changes – everything we could throw at these songs, we did.”

As they've done since 2007's Blackbird, the group worked with producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette, who, according to Tremonti, wasn't adverse to adopting a more daring approach. "Elvis never tries to simplify our ideas," he enthuses. "A lot producers might want to shave edges off things and play it safe, but Elvis pushes us to be more extreme, more creative. It’s always, ‘Hey, that’s great. Now, how far can we take that?’"

During pre-production, songs were built up and torn down; sometimes multiple treatments for each one were considered. "We just didn't want to be easily satisfied," Tremonti explains. "It's so tempting to say, 'That's it. It's perfect' the first time you have something. But you never really know it's as good as it can be until you exhaust every possibility, and that's what we did."

Tremonti re-assessed his own guitar playing, as well, starting with his use of the wah pedal, which he admits has become something of a security blanket. "I saw an online post where a fan brought it up," he says. "‘I think you should use less wah on this record,’ somebody wrote, and I thought, ‘You know what? I’m not gonna use any wah when it comes to the solos.’ I wanted to get out of my comfort zone.

“I’ve also had a tendency to do too many descending legato riffs. They became a go-to, over-the-top pattern of mine – whenever a climax would come up, I’d do some fast legato stuff. I wanted to lay off that and concentrate on phrasing. There is kind of a new trick I’m doing – this chicken pickin’-type pull-off riff that I use in a few of the solos. It’s good to change your game around and see what comes from it."

1/12
Cry Of Achilles

“When Myles and I were throwing ideas back and forth, he played me a fingerpicked bit on a nylon-string guitar. It was really great, and I just said to him, ‘Man, we’ve got to use that for an intro or incorporate it into one of the songs somehow.’

“We kind of put it on the back burner – things like that always seem to happen – but it was too good to forget about. The bulk of the song came about in pre-production; we sat down for a few days and worked on it, and in the end we felt like we caught lightning in a bottle.

“Myles and I both take solos in the song. He takes the first one, the more elastic solo, and I take the second one. He’s a great improvisational player; his bends and vibrato are so striking. My solo is more ‘stingy,’ I guess, which is a nice complement to what he does.”

2/12
Addicted To Pain

“It’s tough to always use your own experiences when writing lyrics, and I think, in some cases, Myles looked to people around him for inspiration. Somebody close to him was venting about his problems, and Myles felt as though he could touch on certain issues.

“The solo is a funny one: I had the idea of starting it out on a single bent note. I was improvising one night and kept playing around with this way of edging into it. It’s one of my favorite solos on the album.”

3/12
Bleed It Dry

“OK, now this is actually my favorite solo on the record. I’m playing with my fingers to make it more expressive – it affects the whole tone in a really cool way. The song itself is tuned down to drop D, so it’s one of the heavier songs. We’re definitely going to play it live.

“For amps, on this song, like on the whole album, I used the Cornford RK100, Obershaw and a little bit of Boogie. Guitar-wise, I used two guitars, both of them my signature Paul Reed Smith models. One has a fixed bridge for the rhythm stuff, and for leads I used one with the bar on it.”

4/12
Lover

“We had most of the record together before we got to this one. The high-energy stuff was there, so we needed something to provide a different dynamic, something a little slower with a more atmospheric feel.

“There’s no real guitar solo, just a little lick before the second verse. We thought about a solo, but then we kind of left it up in the air. I was just going to improvise something, but one day I went to the studio and Elvis said, ‘You know, Myles put down this great vocal at the end; we should just forgo the solo.’ I listened to what Myles did and said, ‘Fine. It's great.' Hey, less work for me, right?" [Laughs]

5/12
The Uninvited

“This song almost didn’t make the album. It’s got this hammer-on thing, and Scott was like, ‘That’s just like a Tool riff.’ So, for a while there, we were like, ‘OK, let’s shelve this and move on.’

“But eventually, we came back to it and said, ‘OK, let’s just make this as un-Tool-like as possible and go with it.’ Everybody is influenced by somebody or something – a lot of times, it's a subconscious thing – so if an idea is really strong, you just have to give in and see it through.

“The song was a dark horse, and for a while we were probably thinking it was a B-side track. Once we finished it, it seemed to jump out at us – I guess we didn’t know what we had all along. Now it’s one of our favorites.”

6/12
Peace Is Broken

"We’re usually so busy with our own parts that we don’t often hear what Myles is working on with lyrics until after he’s done. When I’m tracking, that’s when I sometimes hear what he’s come up with. He blows me away. There’s only been a few times where we’ve wanted to make changes to his lyrics.

“I love this chorus. When I brought it to Myles, I said, ‘This one is very important to me; let’s make it special.’ The verses came from a riff I had; I built it up with some chord changes – at first, there were no chords – and it all came together after that.

“I wanted to make the solo an emotional one, so I kind of followed the chorus melody. Actually, this was the first solo I wrote for the record. I’m pretty pleased at how it turned out.”

7/12
Calm The Fire

“Another Myles opener – he's on the nylon-string. We already had the song worked out, but he and Elvis went in one night and came up with that part as an intro. I was knocked out when I heard it. It's definitely one of the highlights on the album.

“Myles and I do a lot of cool guitar stuff together. We’re playing two totally different parts during the verses. It’s only in the pre-chorus where we sync up with each other, but for the most part, we’re trying to really complement our separate approaches. It’s always very inspiring to see what Myles comes up with. I can’t say enough about him as a guitarist.”

8/12
Waters Rising

“I wrote this song about a fictional apocalyptic scenario. Just watching the news every day, every week, it seems as though there’s always some way for somebody to end it all. After I’d written this song and I’d heard what Myles had done for Bleed It Dry, I was like, ‘Wow, we both went there coincidentally.’

“A lot of the solo happened by mistake. I had written a riff that I wasn’t feeling, so I was just improvising to see where I could take things. It was one of those situations where you fall down the stairs and you manage to land on your feet.

“For me, the biggest challenge was that it was my debut as a vocalist on an Alter Bridge record. A little daunting, but I think it turned out well.”

9/12
Farther Than The Sun

"We always have a go-to drop-B song on a record. This is probably our heaviest track because it’s tuned so low. It’s another one where Myles and I take back-to-back leads, which is always fun. It’ll be a highlight of our live set, I think.

“I tracked my lead first, and I didn’t hear what Myles did until I went in to do my vocals. Needless to say, I was blown away. Myles is always very soulful with his bends and the emotion he puts into his guitar playing. His vibrato and phrasing are always pretty impressive. On a few places, he really went for the shred.”

10/12
Cry A River

“Everybody’s playing these songs for the first time, so when it comes down to the arrangements, people are going, ‘Let’s try this, let’s try that.’ That’s the way a lot of these tunes come together.

“Actually, this solo was one of the tougher ones for me. I put it off for a while because of the chord progression – I just didn’t feel like it was a good sound bed for an emotional solo. One night I was up, and I came up with a little lick for the melodic phrasing for the beginning of the solo, and I was like, ‘That's it! Now I’m saved. I have something to work with here.’ After that, it came together pretty quickly.”

11/12
All Ends Well

“We added this song to the record towards the very end. We knew we needed something different for the dynamics of the album, and we also kept in mind that our fans like things like Before Tomorrow Comes – the more uplifting tunes that we’ve done in the past. Things were pretty dark and heavy, so we wanted to make sure this tune wound up on the record.

“I had the verse music for a while, and I knew that I wanted to use it for something. I think Myles knocked it out of the park with his vocal over the guitar line. It was one of those places where I couldn’t play it and sing something at the same time, so I had no idea how it should work. Myles did a great job, especially on the chorus.

"The acoustic is a drop-D with the high E turned down to D, as well. Both of the E strings are D. It’s a great sound."

“A lot of people have said that they respect how we put this song near the end of the record – some bands might immediately go for the money shot, the more pop, cross-over-type thing. I think that we just wanted to let people know that it’s not that kind of a record overall."

12/12
Fortress

“This is one of the first ideas that I brought to Myles music-wise. I sent him the verse and the chorus, and we kind of forgot about it after that. We came back to it after Elvis said, ‘Let me hear some of the other ideas you two worked on before we started.’ This one stuck out, and Elvis said, ‘Hey, that’s great. Let’s work on it.’

“As soon as the rhythm for the bridge came together, we all fell in love with it. Then it was a matter of getting in and out of the time signature and making all of the parts work.

“Myles and I took turns with the solos: I do the first and third, and he does the second and fourth. On the fourth round, he kind of mimics a descending thing of mine, but he does it with an ascending pattern.

“When my part happens, it’s in D because I was in open D5 tuning, which is a challenge because your B string is up a whole step and a half, so you can’t do some bendy stuff – you might snap the string. It’s hard to do some pentatonic things, as well, because your guitar’s a whole new beast when you tune it that way. I think it’s fun, though, because it doesn’t sound like standard-tuning solos.

"I made sure that I got the D portion that’s in a double-time thing, and then it switches to half-time with Myles in the key of A; after that, it goes back to D with me and back to A with him. Really cool stuff going on. Challenging ourselves on the guitar keeps things interesting for us, and I hope everybody else feels the same way.”

Offline Anguyen92

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. Fortress
« Reply #633 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »
Here's something that might hold us over until Fortress comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8EyOnh1Cg

It's a song, called Done Got Wise, from Gov't Mule that has Myles singing the entire track.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:38:39 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #634 on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:34 AM »
Awesome! His vocal performance in this song reminds me of his days in Citizen Swing and some Mayfield Four. Nice find!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #635 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:31 AM »
And speaking of Myles in his Citizen Swing Days  :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIN2ZVj6FRA

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #636 on: September 11, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #637 on: September 11, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
Probably the best review of 'Fortress" i have read

https://i.imgur.com/tAUA9fo.jpg

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #638 on: September 12, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
Track by track interview for Total Guitar with Mark and Myles

https://youtu.be/XGUq4mh3G0s

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #639 on: September 12, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
Track by track interview for Total Guitar with Mark and Myles

https://youtu.be/XGUq4mh3G0s

Yes! That was a really cool interview, might be the most interesting interview about the album I've seen yet!  Even more pumped now, I feel like this is going to be great record!! :metal

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #640 on: September 13, 2013, 01:21:32 PM »
Snippet of CRY OF ACHILLES!!!!!

https://youtu.be/ADZbnhC8sYo

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #641 on: September 15, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Wow that was really interesting!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #642 on: September 17, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
I've got such a boner for this album. I can't wait!
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #643 on: September 17, 2013, 11:50:44 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhh man, this is exciting now.  This seals the deal for me that I'm going to buy this album at Best Buy,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fortress+%28Best+Buy+Exclusive%29-CD/2018073.p;jsessionid=5CF33988444C168CEAAB07E1B479FA2F.bbolsp-app02-176?id=2758460&skuId=2018073&st=alter%20bridge&lp=5&cp=1

The people that buys it at best buy is going to get a B-Side track called Outright.   Apparently, it was a track that has been in the making since the Blackbird era.  Exciting that there's going to be 13 new songs to embrace and love.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #644 on: September 18, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
Yeah Best Buy usually has some good exclusives and bonus content when buying from their stores. I believe Blackbird had the Making Of dvd to go with it.

Is it me, or did every copy of ABIII had two bonus songs that came with it, no matter where you bought it from? I'm taling about "Zero" and "Home"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #645 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »
Yeah, I bought ABIII randomly at Walmart maybe and still got those two songs.

Thanks for the heads up on the BB bonus track.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #646 on: September 18, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »
Yeah Best Buy usually has some good exclusives and bonus content when buying from their stores. I believe Blackbird had the Making Of dvd to go with it.

Is it me, or did every copy of ABIII had two bonus songs that came with it, no matter where you bought it from? I'm taling about "Zero" and "Home"
The regular American release had those 2 bonus tracks on it, to compensate for the fact it was delayed and came out a month after Europe etc.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #647 on: September 18, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

Making of the album and the bonus songs, the Damage Done and New Way to Live (those are actually some of my favorite tracks that came out of the Blackbird Era).  Such good stuff.  I wish I persuaded my family to get me to buy it, when it came out.  Obviously, it was going to be worth it, at the time. 

Though, for Fortress, $13, including tax, and 13 new songs, including a crack at the B-side is going to be an easy purchase to make.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #648 on: September 19, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
Alter Bridge // In the Studio - FORTRESS ("Cry of Achilles")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcS9oWndRK0

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #649 on: September 19, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
Alter Bridge // In the Studio - FORTRESS ("Cry of Achilles")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcS9oWndRK0

Nice! Cool distorted bass section there!! Continuing to get even more pumped for this release!! :tup

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #650 on: September 21, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
Here's one for "Cry A River"!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS-6AXZ5tq0

I really like the energy in this song

Offline Basekick

« Reply #651 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
The Alter Bridge Facebook group says they are streaming the album THIS MONDAY AT 10AM.  THAT'S TOMORROW.

OMG OMG OMG OMG.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #652 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
ahhhhh YES

:corn

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #653 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
The Alter Bridge Facebook group says they are streaming the album THIS MONDAY AT 10AM.  THAT'S TOMORROW.

OMG OMG OMG OMG.

ALL MY HYPE. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Been listening to band interviews and the brief teasers they've put up on YouTube lately. I have a feeling this will be the album of the year for me. It'll be either this or Fates Warning. But I'm leaning towards this. I've only heard a little bit of this thing, but everything I've heard off of it so far just sounds so goddamned inspired. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #654 on: September 23, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
Almost time for the stream!! SO EXCITED!  ;D

Offline Basekick

« Reply #655 on: September 23, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »

OMG OMG OMG OMG.

ALL MY HYPE. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Been listening to band interviews and the brief teasers they've put up on YouTube lately. I have a feeling this will be the album of the year for me. It'll be either this or Fates Warning. But I'm leaning towards this. I've only heard a little bit of this thing, but everything I've heard off of it so far just sounds so goddamned inspired. :metal

I'm with you.  I've actually avoided every clip as much as possible, in order to make my first listening experience as fantastic as possible.  I let myself listen to Addicted To Pain once when it was released, but I've been in complete blackout since.

I'm so excited!!!!!!

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #656 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »
Waaaaiting for the stream to appear....
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Basekick

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:53 AM »
Waaaaiting for the stream to appear....

Take a listen!

https://loudwire.com/alter-bridge-fortress-exclusive-album-stream/

WMG blocked this in my country. I was listening to the Soundcloud stream but that one doesn't sound so good. I'll wait until I see a good quality stream.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
Here is another link:
https://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/uk-exclusive-hear-the-new-alter-bridge-album-right-here/

Do we have a US link for this bad boy? I can't listen :(

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #660 on: September 23, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »
Any chance of an Italian / worldwide link?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #662 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
HELL YEAH LISTENING NOW

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #663 on: September 23, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
Dutch stream here: https://www.lustforlifemagazine.nl/artikelen/specials/9060-exclusieve-stream-nieuwe-album-alter-bridge-

Well, if the element containing the stream will re-appear. I've been trying to listen to this album for over two hours now.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:08:55 AM by PixelDream »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #664 on: September 23, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
This album is seriously rocking so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.