Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256601 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. NEW SINGLE "Addicted To Pain"
« Reply #595 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #596 on: August 15, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
Here is a song by song review posted on the AB forums. There was a listening party in the UK recently, and this gentlemen and long time poster on the alterbridgenation forums gave his thoughts!

Ok guys. Here are my two cents. After being awake for like 28 hours I slept 8 hours after I returned back home. Written this review before I read the others in this thread

[SPOILER ALERT]

Alter Bridge Listening Party by Roadrunner Records
14 August 2013 — Slim Jim's Liquor Store, Islington, London

Mark & Myles made a brief appearance, in which they took pics with all the winners and had a Q&A en groupe. Also part of the night had an open bar. Woohoo, free beers! The Fortress album was played from start to finish after the guys left, they were nervous on how we would receive it. My English isn't the best in picking up lyrics on a first listen, but I tried to jolt some down at some of the songs.

Overall impression
The songs have a more mature, bigger sound. Bass and drums are very nice. Overall feel is a heavier album. Guitar work is excellent. Myles voice sounds amazing! Definitely the next step in the evolution of Alter Bridge.

Cry of Achilles
Calm stringed beginning, classic rock kinda riff, melody has a Iron Maiden/Run to the Hills vibe. Long song.

Addicted to Pain
We have heard the song, sounded amazing in a bar like Slim Jim's, with people singing along

Bleed it Dry
Hard song, metal. Features Brian and Flip as starts heavy then it flow into a more melodious song. Changes into stringy before solo kicks in.
"Bleed it dry, leave us here with nothing..."

Lover
Slower song. Missed half of it to a much needed potty break (damn those free pints! LOL)

The uninvited
Starts out slow, then pick up. Still Remains kinda riff. Not too sure about the distortion/effect on Myles voice at some points in the song.

Peace is Broken
Think this song will appeal to classic rock lovers, nice bass and drum lines.
"Peace is broken, you did it to yourself, you don't have anyone to blame"

Calm the Fire
WOW at the intro which has a Muse kinda feel. Myles showing off his pipes, can't wat to experience this intro in a concert! Song gave me goosebumps. Very vocal heavy song.

Waters Rising
Mark singing lead with Myles doing done backing vocals. Later in the song Myles takes over lead vocals and harmony. Begin gave me a All Hope is Gone feel, though song took a different direction after.

Farther than the Sun
Harder song. Very nice solo and riffs.
"I have to find a place where I belong."

Cry a River
Maybe one of the heaviest songs. Mature rock sound. Brian and Flip in charge combined with strong guitars. Flip and Brian have evolved to a new level.

All Ends Well
Slowest song on the album.
"If I could ease your mind, if I could heal your scars, ooh ooh, in due time"

Fortress
This song has various stages. Starts with a Blackbird feel, as if its an evolution to this song. Turns into a harder song with metal guitar riffs and solo. Song has sort of a break and then what feels like an encore. Long song (over 7 mins) because of the different stages.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #597 on: August 15, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
lol @ 7 min being a long song

seriously cant wait
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #598 on: August 15, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
Seven minutes is actually fairly long for a band that normally works in the 4 minute range, to be fair.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #599 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
Not about Fortress but a cool interview about Mark and Myles' guitar playing.

https://youtu.be/9QerxElDWKg

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: August 17, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
Addicted to Pain has grown on me. I still think the chorus is the weakest part of the song, but I like it nonetheless.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #601 on: August 19, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »

Haha, great little video, about 1:30 into it, Mark mentions he would rather learn to play slide than learn to tap better on guitar and Myles has this great little nod as if to say, "Ah yes, slide, I could teach you that"....

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »

Haha, great little video, about 1:30 into it, Mark mentions he would rather learn to play slide than learn to tap better on guitar and Myles has this great little nod as if to say, "Ah yes, slide, I could teach you that"....

Watching Myles's facial reactions to the things Mark says was the best part of the video for me. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: August 19, 2013, 09:01:51 PM »
I'm not really digging that new song that much.  Hopefully it will work better in the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #604 on: August 20, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
All right, well, I pre-ordered the album on iTunes and I will still buy the hard copy of it.  No matter what happens, this will be a winner.  How much of a winner it will be compared to Blackbird remains to be seen.

Anywho, here are the Track Listings.  Three songs over the 6 min. mark.

Cry of Achilles - 6:30
Addicted to Pain - 4:15
Bleed It Dry - 4:44
Lover - 5:17
The Uninvited - 4:47
Peace Is Broken - 4:40
Calm The Fire - 6:04
Waters Rising - 5:39
Farther Than The Sun - 4:07
Cry a River - 4:00
All Ends Well - 5:12
Fortress 7:36

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #605 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
I just listened to Addicted to Pain for the second time, this time on Rhapsody.  I'm totally digging it, even the chorus.  You can hear the progression of the band.  I'm trying real hard not to listen more, but it's tough :metal.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #606 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
I just listened to Addicted to Pain for the second time, this time on Rhapsody.  I'm totally digging it, even the chorus.  You can hear the progression of the band.  I'm trying real hard not to listen more, but it's tough :metal.

Haha me too! I'm trying to not over listen to the track, but its now up on US iTunes and with an album pre-order it will be downloaded right to my phone at work.... Very hard to resist, especially since the album is only $7.99 on iTunes!! Thats a great price!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #607 on: August 21, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
Watch this video of them in the studio recording "The Uninvited"!!!  :metal

https://youtu.be/gCnGAE6HvSY

Some interesting time signatures! And it sounds like Flip is stepping up his game. I mean, I would too if I had to follow up from Garrett Whitlock  :lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:49:13 PM by Accelerando »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #608 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »

Some interesting time signatures! And it sounds like Flip is stepping up his game. I mean, I would too if I had to follow up from Garrett Whitlock  :lol

Whoa!! Yeah I really like the sound of that track! Sounds like it has some cool twisting and turning riffs, and the little clip of the actual song at the end sounds great.  The guitar and drum sound is huge and Myles' voice is sitting nicely!

Even more excited now and the video said we would be getting more of these "making of" videos soon, keep them coming!!

:metal :metal :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #609 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
I'll probably end up listening to this, I'm seeing my sister infect me with her enthusiasm in the future :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #610 on: August 21, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
I'll probably end up listening to this, I'm seeing my sister infect me with her enthusiasm in the future :lol

I'll never get why that channel can't be a two way channel  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #611 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
God damn. The drums are going to sound great this time!  :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #612 on: August 22, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »
The new song is really good! Looking foward to this album, haven't really listened to much AB recently but I'm seeing them at Wembley in October.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #613 on: August 22, 2013, 05:10:37 AM »

Whoa!! Yeah I really like the sound of that track! Sounds like it has some cool twisting and turning riffs, and the little clip of the actual song at the end sounds great.  The guitar and drum sound is huge and Myles' voice is sitting nicely!

Even more excited now and the video said we would be getting more of these "making of" videos soon, keep them coming!!

:metal :metal :metal

The more I hear off this album, the more I think it's going to come down between Fortress and Darkness In A Different Light for my Album of the Year. :metal :tup :hefdaddy Sounds insane.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #614 on: August 22, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
Here are some links to a couple of acoustic songs that Mark and Myles played from a Swedish radio station.

All Hope is Gone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxxSI5ssgKs

Addicted to Pain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNJ9_Pacqo

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #615 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
Here are some links to a couple of acoustic songs that Mark and Myles played from a Swedish radio station.

All Hope is Gone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxxSI5ssgKs

Addicted to Pain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNJ9_Pacqo

Those are really cool, thanks for sharing them! I love both song renditions and Myles sounds SOOO good here.  I just wish there was video to go with the audio.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #616 on: August 22, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »
I always thought All Hope Is Gone would sound immense on acoustics, especially because it is inspired by sea shanteys. And big shocker, Myles' voice sounds phenomenal in both of these songs

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #617 on: August 23, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
I always thought All Hope Is Gone would sound immense on acoustics, especially because it is inspired by sea shanteys. And big shocker, Myles' voice sounds phenomenal in both of these songs

Yeah All Hope Is Gone sounded great acoustic! The riffs for Addicting to Pain didn't really work as well acoustic, but that's to be expected with a heavy riffing tune like that.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #618 on: August 23, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #619 on: August 28, 2013, 02:17:25 AM »
New band picture

Looks like Mark is growing out his hair a little bit. Could be seeing this soon?

:lol Look at him in that Chili's server polo

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #620 on: August 28, 2013, 05:39:07 AM »
Addicted to Pain is great and this new studio vid of The Uninvited sounds massive as well. So far, so freakin' good. It could still end up being their best album yet. I'm excited as hell!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #621 on: September 03, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
New review from artistsdirect

https://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/first-reaction-alter-bridge-fortress/10722681

It feels like Alter Bridge's moment. That's our first reaction from hearing Fortress.

Myles Kennedy's coming off a successful album with Slash and worldwide tour, and Mark Tremonti shook up the metal world with his long-overdue solo album All I Was last year. Of course, Tremonti, Brian Marshall and Scott Phillips are also hot off a big Creed tour as well.

For the uninitiated in AB Nation, Alter Bridge led its most successful campaign to date with 2010's masterful AB III, culminating in a sold out show at Wembley Arena in the UK. Lest we forget, they even sold out places such as the House of Blues in West Hollywood. Los Angeles couldn't be any more anti-rock these days, and that's how on fire Alter Bridge are. That fire hasn't dwindled on Fortress either. In fact, it burns brighter than ever.

Fortress commences with the classically influenced furious finger-picking of "Cry of Achilles" which quickly builds into a modern thrash epic. Its towering rhythms and incendiary riffing temper raw grooves with some of the most impressive playing you'll hear all year. Crossing the six-minute mark, it's clear that Alter Bridge are erecting more of a castle than a Fortress right out the gate. First single "Addicted to Pain" coasts from a stadium-size refrain into fret-burning soloing—some of the best in the game. Kennedy and Tremonti stand out as a formidable duo. From the former's monumental range and impeccable six-string work to Tremonti's metallic mastery, it's a dream team on the likes of "Bleed it Dry" and "The Uninvited".

Alter Bridge still know how to slow things down for the lighters to come out. That happens most elegantly on "Lover", which has big single potential, while "Peace Is Broken" boasts a massive hook. Tremonti's own powerful voice drives "Waters Rising" adding another dimension to the record. Throughout, Marshall and Phillips hold down the foundation in an airtight synchronicity.

The finale of "All Ends Well" and "Fortress" leaves an ominous bookend upon this downright amazing journey. It's metal at its finest. It's also Alter Bridge at their best. Hole up in this Fortress and experience a milestone hard rock record. They've joined the likes of Metallica, Alice in Chains, and Pantera at the top…

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #622 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:33 PM »
New review from artistsdirect

https://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/first-reaction-alter-bridge-fortress/10722681

Wow that's a really positive review! Unfortunately there is really no new information in it, but it did excite me for this record even more!!

I wonder when AB will release another in-studio video like they did for "The Uninvited"... At the end of the video it said more videos would be coming soon, I would love to see another one this week!

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
Why is this band not big in the US?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #625 on: September 03, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
Why is this band not big in the US?

The masses in the US generally have terrible taste in music.  Two things that piss me off on a daily basis are Mtv and the radio.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Video, for Addicted to Pain, is out.  I'm just going to say that it is not just a "band performing the song," video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M9QxzpTjec

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #627 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
Beat me to it!

I dig the video!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #628 on: September 05, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
Blocked in my country. :/

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #629 on: September 05, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
Video, for Addicted to Pain, is out.  I'm just going to say that it is not just a "band performing the song," video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M9QxzpTjec

COOL!!! I liked the video, nothing too ground breaking but its better than the "Isolation" video!  Super pumped for this album even more now!  :metal