Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 257730 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. NEW ALBUM
« Reply #560 on: July 24, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »
Here's hoping for some variety.

Though based on all of Tremonti's solo album, and the last few Creed/AB albums, I expect a lot more of the same.

Hopefully I'll still like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #561 on: July 24, 2013, 08:40:01 AM »
This thread needs more Accelerando!

I'm really looking forward to this release. It says they tried to be unpredictable... Hopefully the production will be more similar to Tremonti's "All I Was".

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #562 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
Can't wait for this  :metal Glad to see its released fairly soon.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #563 on: July 24, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »
Ohhhhhhhh snap son!

New album, and a chance to see them for the first time in almost 5 years.  I WILL be at the Orlando show, without a doubt.

This update made my day. :tup

Offline Basekick

« Reply #564 on: July 24, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »
Can't wait for the new album!  I have a feeling we'll see a little more variety than AB III since Tremonti got a chance to vent out a lot of the 'heavy' side of him in his solo album.

Not that I want anything different from the band.  They kick my ass every time.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #565 on: July 25, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »
Completely stoked. My second most anticipated record of 2013 after the new Queensryche. And that did not disappoint. Hoping AB makes it 2 for 2.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #566 on: July 26, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
Got my tickets for Orlando.  WOO WOO!

Now I will have seen the first show from all the album tours but ABIII.  I still can't believe I haven't seen any ABIII live yet.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #567 on: July 26, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
Nice! Hopefully they'll come towards my area next year.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #568 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »

1. Cry of Achilles
2. Addicted to Pain
3. Bleed It Dry
4. Lover
5. The Uninvited
6. Peace is Broken
7. Calm the Fire
8. Waters Rising
9. Farther than the Sun
10. Cry a River
11. All Ends Well
12. Fortress

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #569 on: July 31, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
:caffeine:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #570 on: July 31, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
Wow... I am a huge Alter Bridge fan, they are easily one of my favorite bands, but I'm not sure what to think of this album art.  It could have interesting meaning being that the record is called "Fortress" and the imagery is that of a frail, weak structure, hopefully the band will address that in interviews.  But even that imagery aside, the red font is a little off putting to me.

Oh well, music is what I am most concerned with! I don't have to be in love with the art as long as the music is good and these track titles look very cool!  :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #571 on: July 31, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
I do like the cover. The image looks like something Led Zeppelin would have used. Though I do agree that the red font clashes a bit with it, and the band loga kind of looks badly photoshopped on.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #572 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
It reminds me a bit of the album cover for Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska. Very stark and bleak looking. Could use a touch up, but overall, I like it a lot. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #573 on: July 31, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Something kinda cool that I noticed that all their albums do (with the exception of Blackbird)

One Day Remains - first album, has a '1' in the title.
AB III - Third album (obviously) has a '3' in the title.
Fortress - fourth album, has a '4' in the title (4tress).
Not sure if intentional (obviously AB III was), but really cool if it was.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #574 on: July 31, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
The bird is spreading it's... two... wings. *shrugs*
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #575 on: August 01, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »
I do like the cover. The image looks like something Led Zeppelin would have used. Though I do agree that the red font clashes a bit with it, and the band loga kind of looks badly photoshopped on.

Yeah I guess thats how I feel too, the overall feel of the cover isn't bad, its really just the red font choices and the sub-par photoshopping that is taking away some of my enjoyment.

1. Cry of Achilles
2. Addicted to Pain
3. Bleed It Dry
4. Lover
5. The Uninvited
6. Peace is Broken
7. Calm the Fire
8. Waters Rising
9. Farther than the Sun
10. Cry a River
11. All Ends Well
12. Fortress

These track titles look interesting though! "Cry of Achilles" sounds great, apparently Myles does an acoustic nylon guitar intro on it, so thats how the album will start!

"Fortress" is also supposed to be over 7 minutes long with guitar solos from both Myles and Mark, hopefully not trying to make a "Blackbird 2" but at the same time catching that great vibe they had on that song.

I also really like the title "The Uninvited".... 

I'm really excited for this release!!   :tup

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: August 03, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
Not ti nitpick here but the red font doesn't go with the cover. A white font would've been reaally better.

Anyway, the first single "Addicted to Pain" is coming out August 20.
:caffeine:

Offline Basekick

« Reply #577 on: August 07, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Addicted To Pain is up on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_NOkycLCw

Just gave it my one and only listen until I get the album.

SO DAMN GOOD.   The half time groove of the intro/brdige/outro riff is absolutely killer.   :metal :metal :metal

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline adace

« Reply #578 on: August 07, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
Awesome song. :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #579 on: August 07, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
Sooooo good! :metal :tup :hefdaddy Sounds like the band's various side-projects have all rubbed off the band a bit on this. Really excited for the rest of the album! :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
I hope Mark never runs out of ideas, this guy's a factory of badass riffs. The chorus seemed a little bit weak, but aside from that the song makes me reaaaaaally excited.
 :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #581 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:28 AM »
That was typically Alter Bridge, but very, very badass. Not slowing down anytime soon these guys.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #582 on: August 08, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
I'm loving "Addicted to Pain" I think its killer AB work!!     :metal

This song captures what I want to hear from AB in a heavy song, fast heavy riffs from Mark, nice grooves from Flip and Brian, and awesome vocals from Myles.  That breakdown half-time groove is fantastic, I laughed out loud the first time I heard it, because it's so sweet!

Myles' voice sounds great on this track too.  Very full sounding vocal delivery with not too much vocal effect going on (their producer Elvis tends to over-produce Myles' vocals sometimes).  Also, the vocals in the verses display what I think AB often is great at, writing vocal melodies over heavy guitars.  The vocal melody throughout the song is outstanding. Great solo from Mark, some cool melodic runs, some shred, some nice phrasing overall.

The production sounds decent as well, hard to tell from a YouTube video, but overall the mix sounds pretty good and the song sounds HUGE!

Based on that first taste, I can't wait for this record!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #583 on: August 08, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »

The production sounds decent as well, hard to tell from a YouTube video, but overall the mix sounds pretty good and the song sounds HUGE!

That's right! From the looks of it this is going to sound better than ABIII, of which I thought it sounded slightly less good than Blackbird's mix.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #584 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »
That's right! From the looks of it this is going to sound better than ABIII, of which I thought it sounded slightly less good than Blackbird's mix.

Yeah, I love Blackbird's mix, that whole album sounds great.  ABIII, while it didn't sound bad, was a step backward from Blackbird in overall production.  Addicted to Pain is a good sign for Fortress though, it seems the guys really refocused their sound and it totally works on this track! The whole track sounds brilliant to me, but the drum sound was one thing in particular I noticed.  With ABIII the drum sound seemed to really suffer under a wash of guitars, but on this track I think the drum parts come across great in the mix!

Offline j

« Reply #585 on: August 08, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »
The End is Here is still the best song this band has done, IMO.

I still enjoy listening to them from time to time, but I think they need to mix things up a bit.  Blackbird was great and expanded on what they had done on ODR, but ABIII seemed like too much retreading old ground.  Hopefully this album won't be just more of the same.  The talent and ability is definitely there.

-J

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #586 on: August 08, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »

I still enjoy listening to them from time to time, but I think they need to mix things up a bit.  Blackbird was great and expanded on what they had done on ODR, but ABIII seemed like too much retreading old ground.  Hopefully this album won't be just more of the same.  The talent and ability is definitely there.

-J

I think they will be expanding their sound with this new record.  You're right though, this band totally has the talent and ability to push the envelope past what they have previously done.  Time will tell, but I have a  good feeling about this new album!   ;)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #587 on: August 08, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

I've been saying this for years.  The mood of the song, the heaviness of the riff, and the tone from Mark...oh the tone from Mark on that song is :hefdaddy.  I'd love if they cycled that back into the live sets, but with a fourth album, people want to hear certain songs, and I expect they will play those songs.  I got my Orlando tickets in the mail, woohoo :metal.

*fingers crossed for another ODR tour*

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #588 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
I've been saying this for years.  The mood of the song, the heaviness of the riff, and the tone from Mark...oh the tone from Mark on that song is :hefdaddy.

The heavy guitars in the bridge of that song are amazing. Simply fantastic tone  :metal

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. NEW SINGLE "Addicted To Pain"
« Reply #589 on: August 12, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
Hey guys, chiming in! Made a major life move recently, so i've been busy getting settled in my new home in Los Angeles, CA past several weeks.

Very excited about the new album, and hopefully "Addicted To Pain" is a taste of the high energy music Mark has been describing this album. He has been saying lately that he thinks Blackbird is their best album out of the three, and they wanted to push themselves with this album. There was a Classic Rock magazine UK interview with Mark Tremonti about making of forth album it says Myles really pushed for heavier stuff on this album, which I think is great! Myles is a singer/songwriter at heart, and is responsible for songs like "Watch Over You."  Mark also stated some of Myles best riffs are on this album.

And I know the majority of us loved Mark's vocals on his solo album - It's been confirmed he sings lead on the track "The Waters Rise"  :metal

And i'll find the article and post it, but according to Myles, there is a song on the album that is the bands love letter to Queen. I'm not surprised. The bridge to "Slip To The Void" had the Queen vocal melodies written all over it.

I hope Brian bass work is more noticeable, which is something I really miss about in the production quality of "One Day Remains." He's a killer bassist, and whenever I see him play live, he makes that bass his bitch.

Im ready for this album to drop, especially now we've heard Addicted To Pain  :metal :metal :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #590 on: August 12, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
I hope Brian bass work is more noticeable, which is something I really miss about in the production quality of "One Day Remains." He's a killer bassist, and whenever I see him play live, he makes that bass his bitch.

Totally agree with this! Brian actually is one of my favorite bass players, he has such interesting and creative bass lines when he has the freedom to play them.  I recall him saying at one point, he likes the heavier, faster riff stuff that AB does now, but those songs provide him with less room to play around with the progressions.  He basically has to just stick to the guitar riff.  It sounded like that was pretty much the case on "Addicted to Pain" so hopefully on some of the more moody songs or some of the ballads he will have room to walk his bass lines around a little.  And of course, making sure his work is noticed in the mix is crucial as well  ;D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #591 on: August 13, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
Myles and JLB together in the same room!!! Whoa!!  :metal  :metal  :metal

https://instagram.com/p/c9kQlKqsfq/

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: August 13, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »

And their riffs shall set the world afire.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #593 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »

Holy smokes!! Mark, Myles, JP and JLB together! Too much awesome for one picture, haha...  :metal

AB is doing a listening party for their new record at the London RoadRunner facility as well, so I guess thats why they are traveling over the same time as DT!

Offline Basekick

« Reply #594 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

If I was standing in front of them, I would have no idea what to do.  Too much to handle.