Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256501 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
I really, really enjoyed Full Circle, but I'd rather take Alter Bridge.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #491 on: December 24, 2011, 07:48:27 AM »
What I'd like to see from the fourth AB album is for Myles and Mark to step up the guitar interplay. Myles is a GREAT guitar player, and the two compliment each other extremely well.

I totally agree.  And I think that to make that happen, they have to devote more time to the writing process instead of trying to fit it in between several other projects.

I'm super excited to see the Wembley gig though.  I hope that "all over the world" means it will be aired on Palladium as much as Live from Amsterdam is.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #492 on: December 24, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »
I thought Full Circle was incredibly boring and I'd rather see them focus their time on AB, but hey, what can you do.

Offline Ghost

« Reply #493 on: December 24, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
I actually much prefer Full Circle over ABIII. Creed doesn't get enough credit when compared to Alter Bridge. ABIII was quite disappointing for me (keep in mind that I'm a huge Myles Kennedy fanboy).

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #494 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
The trailer for Alter Bridge: Live At Wembley is up!

https://vimeo.com/34599965

Just look at that quality!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #495 on: January 15, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
So I officially got my friend hooked on Alter Bridge :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #496 on: January 21, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
Preview for "Alter Bridge: Live At Wembley", performing Couer D' Alene

https://youtu.be/8zabKw3X1L8

Myles vocals are just Godly

So I officially got my friend hooked on Alter Bridge :metal

Hell yeah  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. "Live At Wembley"
« Reply #497 on: January 23, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
Can't wait for this. So much good stuff out on this day.

A little annoyed AB is doing the "lets put out a CD without the whole show on it" again. But otherwise, can't wait for the Blu-ray!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #498 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
Got it!

The picture quality is amazing!!!. I'm only on third song in ("Ghosts..."), but so far the concert is really good. Wembley Arena looks massive. AB is definitely a live band, and you can tell they love performing. Full review soon.

ps. I purchased a Samsung SMART TV this past month. 240hz. This makes the concert look super real.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #499 on: March 28, 2012, 06:52:01 AM »
I'm still waiting for a local store to get it in stock.  I listened to LFA yesterday to hold me over and I was reminded just how awesome of a concert that was.  They'll have a hard time topping that.  This will be my first blu-ray concert dvd though and I'm really excited to watch it on my new 82" Mitsubishi DLP.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #500 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
I've watched it three times now. Such an amazing show. Myles vocals are just top notch live in this one. I haven't been to an Alter Bridge show since 2008 when they played literally a mile away from my college in downtown St. Petersburg, Fl. They haven't played in FL at all for their ABIII tour  :-\

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #501 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
I wasn't overly impressed with their last DVD, they seemed to have sped all of their songs way the hell up and Myles skipped a ton of high notes.

I assume this DVD doesn't have those problems?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: March 30, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »
I've watched it three times now. Such an amazing show. Myles vocals are just top notch live in this one. I haven't been to an Alter Bridge show since 2008 when they played literally a mile away from my college in downtown St. Petersburg, Fl. They haven't played in FL at all for their ABIII tour  :-\

Didn't they play at State Theatre? Or was that when One Days Remains released, I remember wanting to see them at State Theatre but I can't remember what tour it was.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #503 on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
I wasn't overly impressed with their last DVD, they seemed to have sped all of their songs way the hell up and Myles skipped a ton of high notes.

I assume this DVD doesn't have those problems?

AB has been notorious for having their songs sped up live. With "Live From Amsterdam", I think that came with the adrenaline of having their first live performance filmed for dvd.  The "Live At Wembley" is 10x better, with a stronger overall musicianship. Myles hits the high notes, especially on Ghost of Days Gone By. The live songs are played at normal speed san Ties That Bind, they sped up on that. I blame their rhythm section on that. However, this is much more mature and entertaining performance.

Oh, Myles also had cut all that "That's right" and "Come on" shits he did in Amsterdam. That probably came from him performing with Slash, who probably told him to chill the fuck out with that

Im gonna write a review on it and post it. Keep an eye out.

Didn't they play at State Theatre? Or was that when One Days Remains released, I remember wanting to see them at State Theatre but I can't remember what tour it was.

Probably the One Day Remains tour. They toured a lot in FL back then. The Blackbird tour made a stop at Jannus Landing in St. Petersburg, and i remember the night before they played at the Hard Rock in Orlando.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #504 on: April 03, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
Ok, here's my review. Im also going to post it in the Review topics.

Alter Bridge - Live At Wembley

I am to write this review, with conviction of being a super fan, without flaunting appraisement. However, it is quite difficult from being one of the first people in the world to see this great band perform live for their very first concert on September 8th, 2004 at a very small House of Blues venue in Orlando, Fl. I’ve seen them four times in concert, met them countless times, and had the pleasure of buying them a beer and just talking.  These guys are the most friendly, down to earth rockers I’ve ever met.

If you had told Mark Tremonti, Myles Kennedy, Brian Marshall, and Scott Phillips back in 2004, that in 8 years that would be playing a headlining gig at Wembley Arena, they would think you were crazy. They would probably say that it’s a dream gig.

On November 29th, 2011, that dream came true as they rounded out their European Tour. Not only did they play at Wembley, they down right sold it out.

Daniel Catullo III returns to direct and orchestrate an epic concert for the quartet. In 2009, he filmed their first ever concert film at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam. “Live From Amsterdam” was overwhelmingly successful. On it’s release date, it raised 15,000 spots on Amazon’s “Best Sellers in Music Videos and Concerts” and became #1 in eight hours, raising ahead the like Michael Jackson and Bon Jovi. This feat was done without promotion for the concert film.

“Live From Amsterdam” was a very good first effort for a concert film. All four members have been in the music industry for at least 15 years, and none of them ever had dozens of cameras filming them for a live concert film. Yet, they produced a high-energy performance, which is what you’d expect from an Alter Bridge concert. That concert, however, Myles Kennedy was sick, and vocally was not par for his 4-octave range. He sang nasally and low to try to preserve his voice (this was revealed in the documentary for “Live At Wembley”). The production of the actual concert film was excellent. All the high quality shots made this a very appealing concert film.

Whatever negative things happened in Amsterdam is non-existent for “Live At Wembley.” This is a near perfect Alter Bridge concert. The only one that tops is when I saw them at the Jannus Landing venue in St. Petersburg, FL. And I only top it because I was there. Dually note my selfishness, because I really wish I had experienced their show at Wembley.

The concert starts with the eerie vocals delivered by Myles Kennedy, with an echoing keyboard intro to “Slip To The Void”. The band kicks into over drive from there on out with the wail of Mark Tremonti’s guitar.

And you know that nasally thing I was telling you about from Amsterdam show? Forget about it, because Myles is spot on, hitting all his high notes and showing off that 4-octave range, especially on their performance of “Ghost of Days Gone By”. He holds a note that was just as long as it does on album. He proves himself as the best singer in rock and roll today just with this live concert film.

Some of the highlight performances include “All Hope Is Gone”, which is probably my favorite song off the film. Everything meshes perfectly on this one. Myles starts the song by getting the crowd to join him in some “Oohs”, and then Mark begins that clean tone pirate riff. What makes the song my favorite is just the tone of musicianship from these guys. This epic from AB III is just the perfect song for this band to perform live.

Speaking of epics, you cannot go wrong with their best and most beloved song, “Blackbird.” Every performance I’ve seen them do of Blackbird, it’s like the planets align. The band embraces the moment; the emotion of the song encompasses each band member, and delivers a song to remember to those attending the concert.

Mark Tremonti’s guitar playing is ridiculous. He performs with such intensity, and you know he’s having a good time. His solo on “Brand New Start” to me is his best solo, and he does it live just as good or better than on record. His solo in “Cour D'Alene” is pretty amazing with improvisation to go along with it. His “Open Your Eyes” solo is almost legendary; it’s the solo that made it ok for radio stations to air the guitar solo portions of songs that disappeared in the 90’s. Boy, that solo. Blistering fast, and humbling balanced and controlled. And on this night, he improvised with a new ending. He does get carried away in a few songs where he’s shredding way too fast, specifically the dueling guitar solos between him and Myles before they play their final song. No slam against my favorite musician, but Myles kicked his ass in that solo contest. I’ve seen Mark shred and solo to perfection live, and he can do much better than that.

Scott Phillips drumming is fantastic. He’s one of the best pocket drummers in the business. He doesn’t have a specific sound. He doesn’t have the chops to be technical or to stand out. However, he plays for song, and he does well. He shines in “Metalingus”

And let’s not forget the most underrated bassist today. Brian Marshall shows off his chops in this concert and stands out. Alter Bridge is a very guitar driven band, but Brian has excellent bass line. It’s very apparent on “One Day Remains”, but I blame this on the mixing on “Blackbird” and “AB III” on their producer, Elvis Baskett. The one thing I don’t like about the last two albums is the mixing. It simply does not justify Alter Bridge. Brian’s performance on “I Know It Hurts”, “Metalingus”, and “Rise Today” are awesome.

One of the magical moments of the show is when Myles grabbed an acoustic guitar and sang “Wonderful Life” and “Watch Over You” in front of 10,000 people with their cell phones lit up. It was a fantastic performance vocally by Myles. Acoustics compliment his soulful vocal style (Go and find his BoFest performances on YouTube).

The concert ends with “Open Yours Eyes” and “Rise Today”, which is fitting not because those are their two most successful songs, but because they are fueled with inspiration and adrenaline. The crowd is into it. They are singing on top of their lungs with Myles.

The concert films comes in two forms: There’s a 3 disc CD/DVD package, which comes with the audio cd, the concert dvd, and an hour long documentary called “Road To Wembley.” The other form is a 2 disc Blu-Ray/CD package that includes everything listed from the prior version.

I urge you: To those who own a blu-ray player, it would be a disservice to you not to buy the blu-ray, especially if you own those fancy LED/LCD tvs. The quality is amazingly clear and precise, with great fine detail, contrast, and solid black levels.

The documentary is a fun and informative feature about the band while they are on their European tour. Fans get to learn some things about Alter Bridge that we may not have know before. For example, Myles Kennedy gets sick. Very easily. He explains that when he gets sick, his voice loses all power and it gets the sound you heard on Amsterdam, which is why he changes the melody.

I don’t own or watch a lot of live concert films, but “Live At Wembley” is probably going to be my favorite. This is what Alter Bridge is all about. The level of musicianship that band shares with the fans is unbelievable, and was giving out so much energy. Better still, if you are still new to Alter Bridge, or heard of them and wanted to dig into their stuff, you can watch this concert film and be completely seduced by it. This was a special night for both Alter Bridge and their fans, and they show once again they are one of the best rock artists with this concert film

1. Slip To The Void
2. Find The Real
3. Ghosts Of Days Gone By
4. Before Tomorrow Comes
5. Come To Life
6. All Hope Is Gone
7. White Knuckles
8. Brand New Start
9. Metalingus
10. Broken Wings
11. I Know It Hurts
12. One Day Remains
13. Cour D' Alene
14. Buried Alive
15. Blackbird
16. Wonderful Life
17. Watch Over You
18. Ties That Bind
19. Isolation
20. Open Your Eyes
21. Rise Today

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: April 04, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »
Good review.  I will pick this up when I see it instore I think.  I like the setlist, except I wish they added Coming Home.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #506 on: April 04, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »
However, it is quite difficult from being one of the first people in the world to see this great band perform live for their very first concert on September 8th, 2004 at a very small House of Blues venue in Orlando, Fl.

I had to double check and I don't have anyplace to upload a picture, but my ticket says Alter Bridge at Floyd's Music Store on Wed. September 1, 2004.  First ever live concert, although I heard they did a small set for some record execs before that, which isn't unbelievable.

Great review.  I've always thought that about Flip, he was built to drum with Tremonti.  I had to order it, but it was worth it to get the blu-ray I'm sure.  Should be here soon.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #507 on: April 04, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Watched the concert on Blu-ray a couple of days ago, I agree it is great and the performance is one of the best from Alter Bridge around this time. Interesting to see you agree with me on the best song from it - I would have picked All Hope Is Gone as well (well, obviously top songs like Blackbird, Ties That Bind, Slip and White Knuckles are good but All Hope Is Gone benefits most from the live performance here). I love how they do they first verse very soft on it, and the rest of it just seems to go perfectly. Disappointed that they didn't play that one or Coeur D'Alene at the Glasgow show 2 days before, which was basically the exact same gig with those songs omitted.

You can see me a couple of times in the documentary from when I met the band at Glasgow.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #508 on: April 04, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
I posted my review on the Reviews board, with some pics and links to vids!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31770.0

I had to double check and I don't have anyplace to upload a picture, but my ticket says Alter Bridge at Floyd's Music Store on Wed. September 1, 2004.  First ever live concert, although I heard they did a small set for some record execs before that, which isn't unbelievable.

Was that an acoustic set? At HOB, Myles announced that night was their first show as a band

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #509 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:21 AM »

Was that an acoustic set? At HOB, Myles announced that night was their first show as a band

Nope, full live set.  They played the whole album plus covers.  I'm pretty sure Highway Star was one.  There were a few technical hiccups, but it was amazing.  Their second time at Floyd's in Tallahassee, FL, they played four songs from the Blackbird album which was not nearly complete yet, and one of the songs was being played live for the first time.  It was the original version of Come to Life or Buried Alive, I can't remember which one because it was nearly a year before I heard a different studio version.  I was also at their first Blackbird show at The Social which was a "last minute" addition to the tour.  Yet, they haven't played anywhere close to me since 2009 I think.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #510 on: April 07, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
Nope, full live set.  They played the whole album plus covers.  I'm pretty sure Highway Star was one.  There were a few technical hiccups, but it was amazing.  Their second time at Floyd's in Tallahassee, FL, they played four songs from the Blackbird album which was not nearly complete yet, and one of the songs was being played live for the first time.  It was the original version of Come to Life or Buried Alive, I can't remember which one because it was nearly a year before I heard a different studio version.  I was also at their first Blackbird show at The Social which was a "last minute" addition to the tour.  Yet, they haven't played anywhere close to me since 2009 I think.

Interesting. Myles was probably in the moment then haha. And yeah, they haven't played anywhere in FL since 09 too, I think. I saw em in August '08 in St. Pete. And with the other projects going on now, I don't think FL will see them until '13.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: April 28, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
Barely related to AB, but there's nowhere else to write this:

Listening right now to Myles' bands before Alter Bridge, I've always liked The Mayfield Four and now I'm discovering Citizen Swing. While most of the songs are not exactly my cup of tea there is definitely some Myles inside some of them. There's this song, "All of the Same" that I think ranks among one of the most sentimental songs I think Myles has ever sung. Reminds me of TM4's Fallout album. It's great. "Where are You" is pretty good as well, it sounds like TM4's "Don't Walk Away". And the way he sings Marvin Gaye's Inner City Blues... Wow. Boy he's hands down an amazing musician in everything he has ever been into (I didn't like the Slash material that much but even still there are some decent songs).

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #512 on: May 10, 2012, 06:49:54 AM »
I don't feel like starting a new thread just for this.

I saw Slash w/ Myles last night in Jacksonville.  Totally amazing show, Slash was rockin, and Myles was as good as I've ever seen him.  When he's not playing guitar, he really can focus on the vocals, and it shows.

Highlights:
Seeing the top hat center stage under the spot light playing a ~3 min. solo.  It was just iconic and total awesomeness.

We got a special one off version of "Simple Man" by Skynyrd.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #513 on: May 11, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
Cool, I just bought a ticket today to see Slash and Myles in August. They're playing a venue that's maybe 2 miles from my house, couldn't pass it up.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #514 on: June 01, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
Finally watching the Wembley blu ray.

1. Myles sounds really good at this show and isn't phoning it in like the last show.

2. Tremonti is being awesome.

3. I want to kill Scott Phillips. Seriously, he is speeding up SO many songs. Also the production of his drums here suck. The kick drum is virtually absent, and the snare sounds just as terrible as it did on ABIII (which was one of my biggest complaints).

If they got a drummer who sounded good and played at the right speed it would be sooo much better. But it's still quite awesome.

EDIT: Watching the documentary now (didn't finish the show, I'll get back to it eventually). I gotta say that Myles is a much cooler person than I expected. Not sure why I expected a rock star douche, but he actually seems like the kind of guy I'd hang out with. I already knew Mark was awesome, and I still want to punch Scott Phillips in the face.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:24:45 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Alter Bridge
« Reply #515 on: November 26, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
Sup

Couldn't find an existing thread for this.

Someone introduced me to this band about two weeks ago and I've barely listened to anything since, I'm talking hammering the songs every waking minute 500+ plays a week on last.fm kinda infatuation, I don't know if it'll grow into anything more but they have so many songs that are so fucking catchy. I never listened to Creed so it's all new to me...

Any fans? Or thoughts?
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Alter Bridge
« Reply #516 on: November 26, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

Online Adami

« Reply #517 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
I think I heard a rumor that our very own Accelerando is a little fond of them.

Myself, I'm a fan. I have all three of their CD's and both of their DVD's. They are indeed catchy as hell and their singer has an amazing voice. My only complaint is that they essentially only write 2-3 songs musically and just kind of change the vocals on them over time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #518 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #519 on: November 26, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
I got into this band about two weeks ago, and seriously loving them right now. I can't bring myself to listen to anything but. Watched a friend's live at Wembley DVD the other night, would love to see them live.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #520 on: November 26, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
I got into them a few years ago, a couple of years before ABIII. I bought Blackbird and have been enjoying the band ever since. I still need to get physical copies of Blackbird and One Day Remains though. My collection feels incomplete. Somehow, this is a band that got me into Dream Theater.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Adami

« Reply #521 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
I think it was in the Tremonti thread, but I made a post where I went back and listened to every chorus AB had ever done (minus certain bonus tracks that I might not have had access to) and noticed that every single chorus musically was strumming chords in half time.

I think AB need a little more diversity in their music or else they're going to eventually fade away.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #522 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10735.0

Danke! Why would search NOT bring that up? :p

Dunno. In any case, threads merged.

And thanks to the report, I am now listening to these guys. I like the singer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:53:11 PM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #523 on: November 26, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Alter Bridge have been my favourite band for a long time now - there are a couple of other bands I possibly like just as much these days but I usually would give my top spot to them since they've been one of my favourites since I first heard One Day Remains when it was released.

I'd like to see a bit more variety too, but the "same song" hyperbole is tiring. They have 40 something songs, even if the vast majority of those songs have the same basic structure and choruses with similar tempos...

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
Great band. I've been listening to a lot of Tremonti/Alter Bridge a lot lately as well.

TOP 5 tracks:
Blackbird
Ties that Bind
Words Darker Than Their Wings
Find the Real
Show Me a Sign

Other Favorites:

Come to Life
Brand New Start
One by One
Watch Over You
Wayward One