Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 257873 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #455 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:26 PM »
p.s. ACC - who is the woman singing with Myles in "Never Born to Follow?"

Can't find any info on that.

I believe that is Myles. Just another layered vocal track on the song.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
Wow. He went REALLY high then.

On a side note, anyone know the pre-sale PW for the San Francisco Alter Bridge show? Would love to score tix for the gig on Friday, so I don't have to worry about Sunday.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
Anyone know what the pre-sale password is for the San Francisco show? SF goes on sale via pre-sale tomorrow, and to the public on Sunday. Problem is, no one seems to know who the pre-sale is for!

:(
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »
Got the password and scored my tickets!!!!    :metal

Going for the laid back positioning this time. In Seattle, I was on the rail, between Mark and Myles. This time, going to chill right in front of the soundboard.  :corn

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #459 on: February 05, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »
Got the password and scored my tickets!!!!    :metal

Going for the laid back positioning this time. In Seattle, I was on the rail, between Mark and Myles. This time, going to chill right in front of the soundboard.  :corn

The laid back approach is a good one.  The first AB show I went to (their first show ever) I took my shirt off as soon as I got out the door because I was absolutely soaked in sweat.  I had never rocked that hard in my life.  But, I saw a show in Orlando and stood at the back of the recessed floor area, against the rails with nobody relatively close to me.  It was very comfortable. Not a bad idea to lean back, relax, grab a drink, and enjoy the show.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: February 07, 2011, 10:17:07 AM »
I taped the Blackbird tour back by the soundboard in Spokane (well, it was below the soundboard, I think the soundboard was elevated and I was on the floor). Enjoyed it a ton. Loved Seattle, but yeah, it got a little exhausting. So I am looking forward to kicking back on this one. I'll be in SF this time, and will be at the Giants-Braves game beforehand, so I am not going to want to be front row on the rail. Just want a brew and kick back.

Stoked that LIke a Storm and Black Stone Cherry are opening.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
Sam, how was the show?

Also, here' the episode of Rusty Cooley's GUitar Asylum with Mark Tremonti!

https://guitarasylumtv.blogspot.com/2011/02/mark-tremonti-episode-is-here.html?spref=fb

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #462 on: March 08, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
The 2nd US single has been confirmed, and it's Ghosts Of Days Gone By. I think it's an excellent choice, but being me, i rather they had gone with a harder single single, seeing how Isolation did so well (being the number 1 rock single for nearly a month). I Know It Hurts would've been my ideal choice, or Coeur D' Alene, but i like GODGB as a single

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #463 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »
Here's a webisode the band is starting to do! This DC3 crew must really love this band to do all this video stuff for them. Live From Amsterdam was an awesome live DVD/Blu-ray

https://www.alterbridge.com/media/videos/youtube/alter-bridge-january-2011-webisode.aspx

Offline Accelerando

Offline Blackbird

« Reply #465 on: April 29, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
Wow.  That's cool.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
The boys are over in Europe playing the festivals now. They just played at Pink Pop. I have to share the video of GODGB. What a fucking great performance!!!

https://youtu.be/U94vJMNvuQg

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #467 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
Sorry for the bump....

but Alter Bridge is stepping up to a new level for me. I have been kinda a fan for a couple years (my buddy's band covered Find The Real... I looked them up... acquired first album...

and then acquired 2nd album. Listened to both a few times. Whatever.

III comes out. bought it on itunes the day it came out. listened a few times.

Now I am revisiting the second album again and...

(whats the code for the exploding head?)

editz

:splodetard:

thanks gadough
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:47:38 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: July 15, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »
(whats the code for the exploding head?)

:splodetard:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #469 on: November 01, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »
Alter Bridge filming new live DVD at UK shows

That's if nerves don't get the better of them...

TG's cover stars Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy have revealed plans to film shows on their massive November arena tour for a future DVD release.

If you're planning on attending our cover stars' biggest UK shows to date in November you may want to brush up – you could end up featuring on the next Alter Bridge DVD.

"We'll be filming some of the shows," guitarist Mark Tremonti tells us, "especially Wembley and a handful of others."

And even though he's been honing his chops alongside singer/guitarist Myles Kennedy in the heavy rockers for seven years now, the idea of being filmed still makes him very nervous indeed. Hence the reason more than one show is being filmed.

"It's a tremendous amount of pressure when you see those cameras being put up all over the room," he admits. "If you don't have a good show you'll be down on yourself for a year afterwards! Just in case it would be good to film something else. Also because we can play some songs on another night that we might not be able to fit into the set of the Wembley show."

With the trek already underway in mainland Europe, the band have already started playing two fan favourites from their 2004 debut that haven't been played since 2005; //The End Is Here// and //Down To My Last//.

"We'll mix it up," promises Mark of the setlist for the UK shows, "a mix of the three records and hopefully play some stuff that we haven't done in the past. Pull out some oldies that we haven't played in a while and see which ones sound best on the tour so we can hopefully record those for the DVD."

Check out Total Guitar issue 221 (on sale 31 October to 27 November) for an exclusive interview with Mark and Myles as they reflect on their long, hard road to success with Alter Bridge plus the full tab and story behind their classic song Blackbird.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #470 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
Their 2nd album is absolutely incredible. I passionately love Brand New Start  :hefdaddy

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #471 on: November 01, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
While I love the 2nd album, I personally find the other two to be a tad bit more enjoyable, at least for me. ODR is one of my top albums ever.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: November 01, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
lol, Myles looks fucked in that pic!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
Sorry for the bump, but I had to mention this.

I was listening to Alter Bridge on shuffle, and after I listened to All Hope Is Gone, it jumped to Breathe Again.

I would like to know everyone's else reaction after listening to the last 45 seconds of AHIG and then the first 30 seconds of Breathe Again.

Simple warning: don't drink coffee while you do this.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #474 on: December 11, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
Sorry for the bump, but I had to mention this.

I was listening to Alter Bridge on shuffle, and after I listened to All Hope Is Gone, it jumped to Breathe Again.

I would like to know everyone's else reaction after listening to the last 45 seconds of AHIG and then the first 30 seconds of Breathe Again.

Simple warning: don't drink coffee while you do this.

Ooh, that was neat, if intentional.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #475 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:54 AM »
I've never listened to those back-to-back before.  That's neato.  But for real, the end of AHIG is so freakin epic.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
Nice find. I never noticed that before. Incredibly cool.

Makes one wonder if they had the tracks back to back and then decided on a new track order that separated them.

Would also be interesting if it was meant as one whole song and then separated because the two halves are different.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »
My album ranking is still One Day Remains > ABIII > Blackbird. Unlike everyone else, I don't find Blackbird to be the pinnacle of their career.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:15:30 PM by Heretic »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »
Blackbird is easily their best album IMO.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #479 on: December 16, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »
My album ranking is still One Day Remains > ABIII > Blackbird. Unlike everyone else, I don't find Blackbird to be the pinnacle of their career.

This.  And it is not a condemnation of Blackbird.  To me, Blackbird was the transition between One Day Remains and AB3.  I think they have reached the sound they were ultimately striving for.  But, One Day Remains is just too incredible.  It doesn't sound like any other bands and it screams "This was written by Mark Tremonti".  I also think the fact that this was the first album removed from Creed was part of what made ODR that much better.  With Blackbird and AB3, I had certain expectations.  Perhaps my expectations were too high, but not all of them were met with either album.  I think the world of these guys and love everything they do.  I am the definition of a "die-hard fan".  Perhaps too much so, as I fear I will never be fully satisfied with their work.  I think AB3 suffered most from the time crunch because the guys are doing so much.  It doesn't appear as if that will change anytime soon though.  In the end, I'll take whatever they give me.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: December 17, 2011, 10:22:57 AM »
I actually rank them completely opposite.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #481 on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
Any info on the Tremonti solo release yet?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: December 18, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »

Most fans of AB would. There's just something incredibly emotional and uplifting about One Day Remains that's always stood out to me, whereas ABIII is the exact opposite, being a hoard of dark, lost, and hopeless emotion, which makes for an amazing listen as well. Blackbird, while awesome, and while having a title track that sits as one of their best songs ever, doesn't exactly have the highs that the other two albums have for me.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #483 on: December 18, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
Same.

I actually like literally every Alter Bridge song but Blackbird does have a few of their weaker songs (Before Tomorrow Comes, Rise Today, Break Me Down) but apart from that every song is gold, a lot of the songs being among their best and including a few of their absolute best that there's a good chance they will never top (i.e. I think Blackbird will basically always be the best Alter Bridge song). AB III is great, maybe more consistent and has a lot of stuff in it but for the most part it doesn't beat the best of Blackbird.

The Blackbird songs are overplayed live though. I understand keeping some of them as basically permanent fixtures in the shows because they are among their best, but there's no need to keep playing so many songs from Blackbird. Was very disappointed last month when I saw them at Glasgow and they played Before Tomorrow Comes AGAIN (making it the 4th time I've seen it). Especially when they could have played Coeur D'Alene instead, which would have meant there was at least one song that I didn't see them play a year ago.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #484 on: December 19, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
I agree that they should change up the setlist a little more often.  As for the Blackbird songs being played most often live, I just think it's a way to keep Myles more involved.  As we all know at this point, Myles is a guitarist, not just a vocalist that can strum some chords.  The man wants to play, and I don't blame him.  But yeah, I think they could slide a few more ODR songs into the mix.

Best AB show I've seen was their first ever live show as a band.  The whole ODR album + covers.  My single greatest music listening experience.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
I also agree the set list needs to vary a bit more. I saw the Seattle show on the AB III tour, and then also saw San Francisco. Other than one song, I believe it was exactly the same (SF got Show Me a Sign, I forget if it was an addition, or if something was dropped).

I realize that the guy have multiple bands, and not a lot of time to go back and learn (especially Myles) older stuff really well prior to getting together for a run of tour dates, but I hope they take some time to do that on their next record-tour cycle.

There are some songs from ODR that I'd love to hear (since they played nowhere in the Bay Area -- maybe except as an opener in San Jose on a weeknight on the ODR tour), since I missed that tour. It'd be nice to resurrect Burn it Down and The End is Here. I also thought while AB III was well represented, the songs most really wanted to hear live, they didn't do regularly.

Almost everyone I've talked to (including myself), wanted them to do Words Darker Than Their Wings, and unless I'm mistaken, it was never performed, or if it was, just once on the European swing to close the tour. Show Me a Sign was a sporadic entry into the set list, and C'ouer D'Alaine (bad spelling, I know) didn't become regular until the last European leg.

Hello?

AB III was well represented, but some variety in WHAT was played from that record, particularly songs (like the three I mentioned above that most people wanted to hear) would have been nice.

Anyway, been a fan of AB since ODR came out, and they have been my favorite band since Blackbird. The chemistry between Tremonti and Kennedy as guitar players really reminds me of the connection Degarmo and Wilton had with Queensryche and obviously, Kennedy's soaring tenor, while not as good as Tate in his prime, is a great voice that I really gravitate to.

Just a killer band. Here's hoping the time they spend apart for Slash and Creed is fun, but goes by quickly (I am a fan of both, but love AB much, much more).

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #486 on: December 20, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
I agree that they should change up the setlist a little more often.  As for the Blackbird songs being played most often live, I just think it's a way to keep Myles more involved.  As we all know at this point, Myles is a guitarist, not just a vocalist that can strum some chords.  The man wants to play, and I don't blame him.  But yeah, I think they could slide a few more ODR songs into the mix.

Best AB show I've seen was their first ever live show as a band.  The whole ODR album + covers.  My single greatest music listening experience.
It's not so much more ODR songs that I think should replace them (there are a lot of staples from that album too, I'd maybe like to see some of the less played songs but mainly just The End Is Here) but AB III ones, and Myles played guitar on that album too. Several songs on the album haven't even been played yet, some have only been played a few times and there are often more Blackbird songs than AB III despite it being the more recent album. The Glasgow show I was at last month, I believe, literally was the same show they played in Glasgow last year except with a few songs taken out (and AB III songs too, rather than the more over-played Blackbird ones; All Hope Is Gone, Still Remains, and Show Me A Sign). It was still a great show but it would have been nice to get Coeur D'alene or WORDS DARKER THAN THEIR WINGS (I spoke to Mark Tremonti at the Glasgow show (which was the one right before Wembley) and he said they might be playing it at the end of their Wembley DVD show... they didn't  :().

Of course, it's weird for me to be complaining that they're playing too many songs from the album I think is their best... but since they have played them all before I do think limiting it to maybe one or two essentials (including Blackbird) and varying the others, while focusing more on playing some of the less played songs from AB III or ODR.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »
What I'd like to see from the fourth AB album is for Myles and Mark to step up the guitar interplay. Myles is a GREAT guitar player, and the two compliment each other extremely well.

I think they really need to expand the guitar intricacy and obviously, that would accomplish the goal of having Myles play more live too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167565

LTER BRIDGE played one of the biggest headline shows of its career on November 29 at Wembley Arena in London, England and all of it was captured for the band's forthcoming DVD, "Live At Wembley". The 2D version (complete with a live CD) will be released everywhere in late March whiule the 3D version will come out in the summer of 2012. The 2D version will also air on TV all over the world in February. Longtime ALTER BRIDGE director Daniel E Catullo III ("Live From Amsterdam", "One By One", "Isolation", webisodes, etc.) was brought in to direct "Live At Wembley" by The Dude Films, a new production and distribution company with offices in Laguna Beach, California and Maui, Hawaii headed up by "One By One" executive producer Stuart Margolis and executive producer Chris LaBabera. Lionel Pasamonte, who produced the band's last DVD, "Live From Amsterdam", is producing with Catullo.

ALTER BRIDGE's setlist for the Wembley show was as follows:

01. Slip To The Void
02. Find The Real
03. Ghost Of Days Gone By
04. Before Tomorrow Comes
05. Come To Life
06. All Hope Is Gone
07. White Knuckles
08. Brand New Start
09. Metalingus
10. Broken Wings
11. I Know It Hurts
12. One Day Remains
13. Coeur D'Alene
14. Buried Alive
15. Blackbird
16. Wonderful Life (Acoustic Version)
17. Watch Over You (Acoustic Version)
18. Ties That Bind
19. Isolation

Encore:

20. Open Your Eyes
21. Dueling Guitar Solos - Mark and Myles
22. Rise Today

ALTER BRIDGE drummer Scott Phillips told Stereoboard that it's unlikely fans will hear from the band again until 2013, but that they shouldn't take that as a bad sign. Phillips explained, "We'll certainly be visible next year, but it'll be on various projects and then probably 2013 will be the reunion there of ALTER BRIDGE and we'll diligently get to work on a new record and tour as soon as we can."

ALTER BRIDGE spent much of 2011 on the road behind its last album, "AB III", but 2012 will see singer Myles Kennedy return to work as the lead singer in Slash's band, while the other three members of the group will reunite with vocalist Scott Stapp for a new CREED tour and album.

Phillips said, "Each of us have our own thing. I think we've got a lot of different paths we're heading on in 2012," adding that in addition to working with CREED, guitarist Mark Tremonti is prepping his first solo album for release.

Earlier this fall, ALTER BRIDGE released a special edition of "AB III" featuring three previously unheard songs and an hour-long documentary on the group's career.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
I wish Creed would just die already. But that's just me.