Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 259186 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL
« Reply #1925 on: November 01, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
Last Rites is now on Spotify.  For those that like the more "sinister" heavier-sounding AB like in The Other Side, Indoctrination, etc., this is probably to your liking.  I can definitely hear hints of Alice in Chains so that's a plus, I think.  Sadly, this is not one of those twist and turns songs where they build a bigger climax in the bridge-section kind of songs.  Played it straight-forward here.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:13:58 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1926 on: November 02, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
I like it. I just don't like how Myles sings the chorus. Last RIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES. That's a tough vowel to hit like that without getting a big screetchy. Musically though, yep, very straightforward. I dig the vibe. It's a decent song, it won't really be one of my favorites, but a solid tune for the catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1927 on: February 10, 2021, 08:28:06 PM »
So, no recent AB news that I know of, but I received something in the mail today.  I ordered a USB drive that had an AB full show soundboard recording from 2011 in the AB III days from this link below.  The drive is in the shape of a PRS guitar and when you can plug it in the computer when you remove the top.  Initially, these items were sold at the merch booth after the show is done so that fans can take it home as a souvenir, but the providers found a stash of it and  decided to sell it now.  I bought the show from Anaheim, CA at the City National Grove of Anaheim.  I wasn't at this show (due to personal reasons and living in a mental hell at the time), but this band was the only thing that kept me going in 2011 when I reading that they were doing big tours on both sides of the Atlantic, making late night TV appearances, and headlining arenas in the UK.  This setlist is good enough for the AB III songs that they never/rarely played again before the pandemic pause.

It's not a perfect product though.  Audio quality is ok.  Definitely a step up from Youtube quality.  Band was still in their "play as fast as hell" mode that they thankfully ditched from Fortress onwards.  I wished they experimented with this idea more in the tours afterwards.  I think they could have perfected it and given the fans at the show another huge memento to take home.

Slip to the Void
Buried Alive
Before Tomorrow Comes
Find the Real
Brand New Start
White Knuckles
All Hope Is Gone
Metalingus
Ghost of Days Gone By
Broken Wings
Coeur D'Alene
Ties That Bind
Still Remains
I Know It Hurts
Come to Life
Blackbird
Open Your Eyes

Isolation
Dueling Guitar Solos – Mark and Myles
Rise Today

https://www.disclivenetwork.com/detail.cfm?artistid=49

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: February 10, 2021, 09:04:15 PM »
I have the one from the San Francisco show on that tour. We got lucky -- they played one of my favorites off AB III, "Show Me a Sign." The quality is okay, it's just a soundboard rip. Good enough quality for a listen every so often. But they had a crowd mic too, and some woman is literally screaming every 10 seconds to scream through a few of the songs. Makes it tough to listen.  ::)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1929 on: March 28, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »
It's been so long......  HOLY CRAP, this thread hasn't been updated in a year?  Jebus.  Well, it's not like there was anything to AB-related to post in that time frame, but no matter.  Mark is done with his tour opening for Daughtry and Myles is done with touring with Slash for now.  The making of AB VII is now rolling.  The whole gang is back.  Mark, Myles, Flip, Brian, and Elvis (which I'm sure people will be absolutely so pleased with him organizing this album.......)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 06:22:08 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: March 31, 2022, 10:57:30 PM »
About. Time.

I am supportive of all the side/other projects, but Alter Bridge, to be honest, is where the focus should be. Sadly, I feel they sometimes take AB for granted given how thin they spread their time on other things.

Don't get me wrong, I love Myles' solo stuff, his work with Slash, and of course, Tremonti. But I really would enjoy Alter Bridge being the sole focus for awhile. Really looking forward to what comes next. I was fortunate enough to see two shows on the Walk the Sky tour, and they were great (SF was much better than Lake Tahoe, but both were great). And I enjoy the Walk the Sky album. But...part of me rolls my eyes that it's another "Elvis" record. Do something different!

I'm sure it will rock, and this post will age poorly. LOL. And honestly, I hope it does age poorly. I just wish AB was THE focus of all four guys for a few years straight and they mixed things up a bit, sonically.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1931 on: March 31, 2022, 11:29:14 PM »
The pessimistic side of me sadly thinks that this album could be a last dance for AB.  Myles got his solo project and Slash.  Mark has his solo project and who knows where this thing of him singing Sinatra covers will take him. 

Of course, they could go crazy and throw a crazy tour with all of those bands in the bill (along with Sevendust and their side projects as well, because everyone is friendly that way and they are under the same management branch).

AB does need to try to do something else to push themselves a little more.  They played with an orchestra.  They've tried incorporating synths in some songs in their last album.  I actually wouldn't mind if they pushed for a 15th anniversary tour of Blackbird only if they would actually play songs that they hadn't played since the album came out.  Need something fresh that they can get into to commit themselves for the next few years.

Oh and create more t-shirts designs.  Can't get enough buying them.  They were supposed to be on a tour with Black Stone Cherry and Saint Asonia in Spring 2020 before the shutdown.  To me, that would have been the best bill of the album cycle and the tour poster was the best tour poster of the period and I would have bought that shirt 100% in some ways.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1932 on: March 31, 2022, 11:59:21 PM »
Nah, this won’t be their last. I think they’ll realise just what they missed out on when they get back to it. Slash only did a US Tour with 4 this time around. Tremonti’s Sinatra project is a charity thing that he’s booked a single show for, and I can see why their solo projects have gotten much more of the attention recently since they’re easier to do in isolation and lockdowns.

Alter Bridge are getting bigger and bigger, almost exponentially. I think this one is going to go gangbusters and they might even (hopefully) be forced to ride the wave this one makes. I think Slash is winding down. I hope they are. The last record was unfocused, following up from a very unfocused record. Tremonti is getting better, and I think the last two records have been some of his all time strongest work. But I think they miss the large scale touring that they only get with AB.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1933 on: April 01, 2022, 06:52:28 AM »
I just wish they move on from Elvis Baskette (the producer). That would be more refreshing in every sense of the word.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1934 on: April 01, 2022, 07:34:07 AM »
About. Time.

I am supportive of all the side/other projects, but Alter Bridge, to be honest, is where the focus should be. Sadly, I feel they sometimes take AB for granted given how thin they spread their time on other things.

Don't get me wrong, I love Myles' solo stuff, his work with Slash, and of course, Tremonti. But I really would enjoy Alter Bridge being the sole focus for awhile. Really looking forward to what comes next. I was fortunate enough to see two shows on the Walk the Sky tour, and they were great (SF was much better than Lake Tahoe, but both were great). And I enjoy the Walk the Sky album. But...part of me rolls my eyes that it's another "Elvis" record. Do something different!

I'm sure it will rock, and this post will age poorly. LOL. And honestly, I hope it does age poorly. I just wish AB was THE focus of all four guys for a few years straight and they mixed things up a bit, sonically.
I see where you’re coming from, but they’re still keeping to the pattern of a new album every 3 years. That’s pretty impressive given how many side projects there are!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1935 on: April 01, 2022, 08:11:54 AM »
I love Alter Bridge and have since their first album came out. But I feel like they haven't really offered anything particularly noteworthy since Fortress. I'd love to see them do something a little different this time. Balls to the walls metal, or super proggy, or something. I'd also love to see more songs with Myles and Mark trading lead vocals. I'd love to be blown away by this one like I was their earlier albums.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1936 on: April 01, 2022, 08:37:57 AM »
I love Alter Bridge and have since their first album came out. But I feel like they haven't really offered anything particularly noteworthy since Fortress. I'd love to see them do something a little different this time. Balls to the walls metal, or super proggy, or something. I'd also love to see more songs with Myles and Mark trading lead vocals. I'd love to be blown away by this one like I was their earlier albums.

Think I read a while back that they are going down the line of more epics. Walk The Sky was an experiment to make a super commercial album.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1937 on: April 01, 2022, 08:38:56 AM »

Same here. I think Fortress is the last album I can actually remember a tune from. Last Hero and Walk weren't *bad*, but I don't think anything on them had any real staying power to me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1938 on: April 01, 2022, 02:31:54 PM »
Tremonti is getting better, and I think the last two records have been some of his all time strongest work.

Both are them are roughly a soft and squashed upside U-curve.  Fortress and Dust are their strongest efforts to me, and while I've enjoyed their releases since then, they haven't resonated quite as strongly. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1939 on: April 04, 2022, 08:12:49 AM »

Think I read a while back that they are going down the line of more epics. Walk The Sky was an experiment to make a super commercial album.

With the caveat that I'm MOST interested in what they have to say, not what I want, if it WAS up to me, I'd love more epics.  They should be "Zeppelin circa 2020" if you ask me.  I want Kashmir, The Rain Song, and Achilles Last Stand.   I've been generally underwhelmed by AB as compared with the other stuff that Myles has done (his deal with Slash is my favorite project of his so far) but that which I have liked has been more...  I don't know what the word is and I don't want to use "epic" again.  :)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1940 on: April 05, 2022, 06:28:06 PM »
In honesty, aside from maybe headlining a stadium show or a big-time open air festival, the one thing AB still needs to check off from their list is play out live WWE wrestler, Edge, at a Wrestlemania.  Edge, on principle, did state that he prefer if bands don't play out wrestlers if they are the heel (the bad guy), which is why AB did not play The Other Side live at Wrestlemania last week.

However, their manager, Tim Tournier, gave this little nugget stating that it was pretty much all set for them to play Metalingus live at Wrestlemania in 2020 when Edge was making his comeback in the ring, but the pandemic obviously ruined it.  That pandemic took away a lot of good promising things for AB in 2020.  A great US tour bill with Saint Asonia and Black Stone Cherry and doing a lot of festival runs in Europe playing before Iron Maiden and who knows what would have happened later that year.  A lot of, uhhhh, What Ifs......

We actually booked this in 2020, it was all set - everyone was getting ready to fly in but it got canceled due to Covid. WWE and Edge have been great to us over the years, we love them and would jump at any opportunity to work with them

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArmyOf12/posts/4869172946511113/?comment_id=4870518779709863

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1941 on: April 25, 2022, 10:31:53 PM »
This is how much I am so hyped for this band and bill.  This tour is only going to be in Europe.  I have seen Halestorm twice and AB, seven times.  I could have seen Mammoth WVH last March, but I had other obligations to do, but there's a crazy side of me that wants to go to Europe to see this bill.  I just need to start the passport process and get tickets, but I'm hyped that things are happening again for this band!!!!  Per their website.  Europe tour in November and December.  Alter Bridge, Halestorm, and Mammoth WVH.

Also, new band photo!  They are not looking at different directions for once like in previous photos.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1942 on: April 26, 2022, 07:14:27 AM »
Pawns & Kings….new album title?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1943 on: April 26, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »
They didn't say yet.  I guess it will be official when they do the album release announcement. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: April 26, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »
It's a pretty safe bet it is Pawns & Kings. They teased it on instagram.

Can't wait for the album. Looks like a fun tour, although I doubt that will work in the states. Halestorm is sadly bigger than AB here, and Mammoth can headline the places AB does here most likely, given how successful their first headline tour went

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1945 on: April 26, 2022, 04:49:05 PM »
I think it would work in the states, only if it would be like mid-sized outdoor venues that holds like 5,000-10,000 people with Halestorm being a clear headliner, obviously.  I would be actually mad if that bill hits LA, unless it's in a big outdoor venue like Greek Theater or maybe even FivePoint Amphitheater, since I would rather prefer seeing all three bands at their own shows and all three bands have the fanbase to support their own headlining shows anyway.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1947 on: May 04, 2022, 07:22:31 AM »
They're coming to Croatia for the first time ever :metal never listened to Halestorm, might give them a spin now...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1948 on: June 27, 2022, 09:38:22 AM »
You know, I didn't think they were going to do a listening party this time around for Pawns & Kings due to pandemic reasons and stuff.  I'm sure they didn't even know it themselves, but I guess after the Tremonti Sings Sinatra listening party went well (or I presume it went well), they decided it's ok to do it for Pawns & Kings.  On September 30th (on a Friday), they are doing the album listening party in Orlando.  I instantly bought my ticket.  $275.00.  $25.00 more than last time for Walk the Sky (thanks inflation, pandemic, other stuff that could cause the price increase), but no matter.  I have the slot reserved.  Now to wait to see if flight prices drop to a price I like and try to, for once, make a weekend trip in Orlando, unless AB has some shows booked after the listening party, then I would reevaluate the weekend.

https://twitter.com/alterbridge/status/1541427620147040262

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: June 27, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »
I looked at it. I'll go to multiple shows on the tour. Just not worth me toting the entire family to Florida to hear a record over the PA and get an acoustic set that's probably just a handful of tunes.

Don't get me wrong, glad you are going, and I'd love to be there. But with my wife and daughter both hardcore fans, we have to do three, and that's just cost prohibitive. Can't wait for the record.  :metal

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1950 on: June 27, 2022, 01:56:51 PM »
I don't blame you for not going.  Flights from California to Orlando is pretty expensive right now (even more expensive by a huge margin in comparison to the last time I went around the same period in 2019) for one person.  Three people and it's like it's just not worth the price by a huge margin.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: June 28, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »
I don't blame you for not going.  Flights from California to Orlando is pretty expensive right now (even more expensive by a huge margin in comparison to the last time I went around the same period in 2019) for one person.  Three people and it's like it's just not worth the price by a huge margin.

If you end up going. Hoping you can "live post" a little here from the show, letting us know what they played, etc. Obviously, only if you have time - the most important thing is to enjoy it.  :metal

A friend introduced me to them in 2004 just as the first record was released, and being a fan of Creed, there was natural interest. But the moment I heard Myles, I was like "hot damn, they got themselves a dynamic singer." And I became a hardcore right then. The wife followed suit (she's a professionally trained singer and huge Myles fan), and our daughter's first favorite song was "Watch Over You" when she was just old enough to talk, and she has become a massive AB nut now too (not to mention Myles solo and Tremonti). It's been great fun sharing a band together and looking forward to more adventures, but we're probably limited to the West Coast since it's always the three of us.

I saw the Blackbird tour in Spokane, then the AB III tour in Seattle and San Francisco, the Fortress tour in San Francisco, the Last Hero tour in San Francisco and Spokane, and the Walk the Sky tour in Lake Tahoe and San Francisco. My wife flew down to LA for the AB III show there and is on the live recording included in AB 3.5, in the crowd. She's seen every tour except Blackbird with me. The kid...this is funny/not funny. We flew up to Spokane for the last date of the Last Hero tour. Did the meet and greet (which was ridiculously crowded), soundcheck, got snowed on, etc. By the time we got into the show itself, and got situated, our daughter (who at the time was probably a bit too young for all that one-day travel up and everything involved in quick trip - we should have known better) just couldn't do it. So my wife (I owe her one) took our daughter to the hotel. I got to see the set, and of course, they played Words Darker Than Their Wings and Myles just knocked that note out of the park better than he did on the live album. I think the Mrs. is STILL pissed she missed that, even though I recorded the tune. ha ha ha. Thankfully, now that our kid is older, she went to see the Walk the Sky tour with us, and just had an absolute blast. Can't wait for more.

As for the upcoming Pawns & Kings album, the anticipation is high. I am HOPING, that although the engineering and production team of Moll/Baskette is the same, that the guys really tried to stretch a bit. It sounds promising that Mark said that it's darker and more aggressive again. I just hope they got a little more progressive (I think he said they did, I could be mistaken), and maybe incorporate some more acoustic/electric within the same songs, etc. I want them to really do a long piece (be cool if they did an adventurous 9 or 10 minute tune.  Either way, it's going to slay and I'm excited for it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1952 on: June 28, 2022, 01:52:19 PM »

If you end up going. Hoping you can "live post" a little here from the show, letting us know what they played, etc. Obviously, only if you have time - the most important thing is to enjoy it.  :metal

A friend introduced me to them in 2004 just as the first record was released, and being a fan of Creed, there was natural interest. But the moment I heard Myles, I was like "hot damn, they got themselves a dynamic singer." And I became a hardcore right then. The wife followed suit (she's a professionally trained singer and huge Myles fan), and our daughter's first favorite song was "Watch Over You" when she was just old enough to talk, and she has become a massive AB nut now too (not to mention Myles solo and Tremonti). It's been great fun sharing a band together and looking forward to more adventures, but we're probably limited to the West Coast since it's always the three of us.

I saw the Blackbird tour in Spokane, then the AB III tour in Seattle and San Francisco, the Fortress tour in San Francisco, the Last Hero tour in San Francisco and Spokane, and the Walk the Sky tour in Lake Tahoe and San Francisco. My wife flew down to LA for the AB III show there and is on the live recording included in AB 3.5, in the crowd. She's seen every tour except Blackbird with me. The kid...this is funny/not funny. We flew up to Spokane for the last date of the Last Hero tour. Did the meet and greet (which was ridiculously crowded), soundcheck, got snowed on, etc. By the time we got into the show itself, and got situated, our daughter (who at the time was probably a bit too young for all that one-day travel up and everything involved in quick trip - we should have known better) just couldn't do it. So my wife (I owe her one) took our daughter to the hotel. I got to see the set, and of course, they played Words Darker Than Their Wings and Myles just knocked that note out of the park better than he did on the live album. I think the Mrs. is STILL pissed she missed that, even though I recorded the tune. ha ha ha. Thankfully, now that our kid is older, she went to see the Walk the Sky tour with us, and just had an absolute blast. Can't wait for more.

As for the upcoming Pawns & Kings album, the anticipation is high. I am HOPING, that although the engineering and production team of Moll/Baskette is the same, that the guys really tried to stretch a bit. It sounds promising that Mark said that it's darker and more aggressive again. I just hope they got a little more progressive (I think he said they did, I could be mistaken), and maybe incorporate some more acoustic/electric within the same songs, etc. I want them to really do a long piece (be cool if they did an adventurous 9 or 10 minute tune.  Either way, it's going to slay and I'm excited for it.

Generally, I'm the one that says "let the artist do what they want; it's their ride", but with Alter Bridge, I'm with you.  Their talent is unquestioned, but I feel like they should have a more... dynamic catalogue. Where's their "Battle Of Evermore"?  Where's their "Kashmir" (maybe Cry Of Achilles).  I know it's me, but I can't help but feel a small sense of "opportunity lost" with them.  They could be so much more "epic"; they certainly have the talent for it.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1953 on: June 28, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »

I don't think I can do a live post at the show.  Last time, they said no cell phones allowed (and had signs that says that you cannot enter the venue with a cell phone for this listening party).  I will probably write something of a long detailed post about my experience here such as this post from the AB Nation forums.  Man, I'm looking at the sheer length of these posts.  I don't think I'm capable of typing that many words in a single post ever again for an event like this.  We'll see.

http://thealterbridgenation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3557&p=206574#p206574

This was probably my favorite written part of the post. 

5:00 PM finally hits and the two lines were going to get inside and then after like 10 people each line got inside, the venue security decided to literally close the door on me and will open when the people inside have already checked in and got their photo with the band. I honestly think that the particular venue security guard was giving us spite for talking down on them after we (rightfully!!!!) argue that we should have gotten in first. Now for me, I didn't actually say anything. I was naturally agreed with what other people in line next to me are saying and those people were pissed off as hell. I was mad, but opted not to be visually be upset about it. After all we went through regarding that BS with the venue security, that was just another slap in the face. Anyway, I finally got in, checked in, shook the band’s hands and say hey to everyone, took the photo and that was that, I was running to get a close spot. I got the photo below, but man I look pretty terrible there. My hair looked out of place. My hand when trying to pose with the horns looks like it was at a wrong angle. Not the greatest picture that I am going to be a part of. Thankfully, this would actually not be the last picture with an AB member that I was in on this trip, but more on that in the next part.

Overall, I would say that the meet and greet the band wasn’t all great. Just say hey to the guys, take the photo and that was that. I understand that with 500 people buying this thing and everyone needs to get their pictures with the band that having a decent conversation with the band would not happen. In fact, I heard someone in the back said that even Mark asked if they can slow things down to try to get a proper conversation with their fans, but the venue organizer wouldn’t even say yes to that for the band (which I get because the album is supposed to be played at 7:00 and the show is at 9:00). No matter, I got myself a spot in the center at the 2nd or 3rd row which is the closest I have ever gotten for an AB related show. I was in the nosebleeds of the theaters when I saw Slash/Myles/Conspirators and AB in 2014 and I was in the 5th row for Myles’ solo show last year. Of course, that would be topped in two days, but I will get to that later.

Also, I agree that they need more dynamics in their catalog at this stage in their careers.  Nothing wrong with the formula they have with starting off with the more radio-friendly heavier-sounding songs and go into the more intricate, deeper songs near the closing stretch of the album.  I thought for Walk the Sky, the best stretch of the album was in the back half with songs like Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, Walking on the Sky, and then the breather song Tear Us Apart, before going into the big closer, A Dying Light.

I hope one of these days, while they still have the physical capabilities to do so, that they will throw the rulebooks aside and create a double album that can explore what they are capable of doing, past, present, and future.  As great as the side projects that Mark and Myles have in their solo bands, I would like them to try to weave certain motifs into AB.  Like, there's no way anyone should be complaining about Myles using a resonator in an AB song and make it work.  Maybe create a song that Mark sings using certain vocal techniques that he did for the Tremonti Sings Sinatra album and make it work.  I wish they can trust themselves and trust that their audience is going to be with them if they fiddling around with stuff like this.  Otherwise, part of my pessimism still stands thinking this could the last dance for AB for a while since their creative process is pretty darn rigid for last few albums.

Edit: On another note, aside from the listening party on September 30th, what the heck is everyone else going to do from now till then?  I want another Myles solo tour and have him come to these parts, dang it!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:24:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: June 28, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »
Anguyen92,

Agreed on Myles solo. I'm hoping that is in the cards. We took the kid to see his show up in San Fran back on the Year of the Tiger tour. It was great.

re: AB

I thought for Walk the Sky, the best stretch of the album was in the back half with songs like Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, Walking on the Sky, and then the breather song Tear Us Apart, before going into the big closer, A Dying Light.

Agreed. I mean, I enjoyed Native Son and Wouldn't You Rather quite a bit, hell, I really enjoyed the whole record. But that stretch was the most...dynamic, for sure.

I also agree the talent is there to do something more dynamic. A full-on concept record (I have a feeling P&K might be one) is a step I think they need to take as a band. But who knows.

I mean, Stads asks where is their Kashmir or Battle of Evermore - I'd argue Blackbird is certainly their Stairway to Heaven. It's not like they haven't gone that route. I mean the song Fortress is along those lines too. They've nailed the epic for sure. I would love for them to take the next step. "Progressive" is such a widely defined term these days, and in some cases, when referring to mood changes and other aspects, AB is progressive. But I'd like them to incorporate more time changes, and really shift the thematic side of the band into that full blown concept. Mark Tremonti did it as a solo artist - and while okay, it wasn't dynamic enough for me. The songs weren't there, IMO. But with Myles and Mark together, I have to think given the thematic AB III, they have it in them to deliver an amazing conceptual piece. Hell, I'd take a suite - give me a 30 minute song that is actually a four-song story. That's good enough.

Anyway, regardless of what they do, I'm excited for it.  :metal

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1955 on: July 18, 2022, 10:29:07 AM »
First single is out for Pawns & Kings.  It's, surprisingly, the title track.  Not surprisingly is that it's the last song of the song listing tracklist and it's a 6 min. song.  Even more surprisingly, there were some pre-sale vinyl sites out there from European websites that listed one of their songs, Fable Of The Silent Son, as a 8:30 min. song, which would make it the longest song in their catalog......  Anywho, here's the title track.  Go nuts.  I'm not going to listen to any of it until the listening party.

Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings (Official Video)

Decided to go Black, White, and Gold for the album cover.  For those that likes nuggets, look at the engravings on the left and right side of the bridge.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:02:51 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »
Thanks, Anguyen. I was about to post it and you beat me to it. :)

SPOILERS AHEAD

I GUARANTEE THIS IS A CONCEPT ALBUM!!! I called this one. So stoked! The title track has a bunch of time changes. Really progressive. Absolutely LOVE the bridge/interlude section before the solo. And then the guitar solo -- STRAIGHT OUT OF THE QUEENSRYCHE PLAYBOOK. Myles Kennedy, then Mark Tremonti, then the harmonize at the end. So killer. Really loved it. Happy it brings back the heaviness and proggier side of the band

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: July 18, 2022, 05:34:18 PM »
From the Napalm Death Records webstore:

The band deliver three epic anthems, including two that clock in at over six minutes – the reflective and absolutely epic title track “Pawns & Kings”, grim-riffed, progressive influenced “Sin After Sin”, and the emotive eight-and-a-half minute journey “Fable Of The Silent Son.” “Silver Tongue” is backed by a punishing intro riff that gives way to one of the band’s most infectious choruses as Myles Kennedy sings, “Truth of a crime. You can’t outrun. Under the spell of my silver tongue,” while tracks like “Holiday” and “Season Of Promise” ebb and flow within the trademark multi-faceted metallic rock attack that has enchanted ALTER BRIDGE fans for a generation. Songs like “This Is War,” “Dead Among The Living” and “Last Man Standing” showcase the heavier side of a band firing on all cylinders, with soaring leads, hair-raising vocals and introspective lyricism abound. Mark Tremonti helms lead vocal duties on the uplifting track “Stay” – an interchanging of skills that first debuted on the band’s fourth album, Fortress, and continues to this day.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1958 on: July 18, 2022, 06:34:06 PM »
Listened to a minute or two of it and it just didn’t grab me at all. Sounded like a pretty by the numbers AB song. I’ll try it again soon and listen to the whole thing but they really haven’t impressed me much in the last few albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1959 on: July 18, 2022, 07:13:21 PM »
Listened to a minute or two of it and it just didn’t grab me at all. Sounded like a pretty by the numbers AB song. I’ll try it again soon and listen to the whole thing but they really haven’t impressed me much in the last few albums.

Which actually means you missed the amazing breakdown at the three minute mark.