Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256516 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. 10 Years of "Blackbird"
« Reply #1680 on: July 23, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »
That is a hell of a setlist. I'll be getting this.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1681 on: July 23, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
Official Trailer to the Royal Albert Hall DVD.  Including the ending to Words Darker Than Their Wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx7uoFt-Tk

Holy cow, that vocal at the end of WDTTW....unreal.

This is shaping up to look like AB's best live release to date and a must-have for any AB fan. I'm pumped.  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1682 on: July 23, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
Official Trailer to the Royal Albert Hall DVD.  Including the ending to Words Darker Than Their Wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx7uoFt-Tk

Oh my...

So I wasn't going to spoil this. But I watched that. My God I love this band. And man, Myles nailed that note in what's arguably my favorite song of theirs. It was a trip seeing him hit it in Spokane last December, but at a venue this size, with the vibe it looks like. Man...gonna sound killer on my system at home.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1683 on: July 23, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
I can't wait to watch this. I'm busting out my best bourbon when I get my hands on this

That note Myles hit is incredible!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: July 31, 2018, 09:04:36 PM »
That looks really good. I might have to pick this up

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1685 on: August 01, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
That looks really good. I might have to pick this up

For sure, this is the first live concert release I've been excited about in a while.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1686 on: August 02, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
The next song to be previewed will be a big one.  Words Darker Than Their Wings.  It's already out on Spotify and I expect the video to follow suit tomorrow.  I'M HYPED!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: August 03, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
It's out. I am not watching. Going to just enjoy it when my pre-order arrives...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1689 on: August 06, 2018, 06:42:11 PM »
Man, I’ve been listening to so much AB lately, and I’m ready for this dvd. I love the setlist, that run from Ties That Bind - Words Darker is just stellar. I’m also surprised that they omitted their 2 biggest hits, that was a bold move.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1690 on: August 07, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »
Man, I’ve been listening to so much AB lately, and I’m ready for this dvd. I love the setlist, that run from Ties That Bind - Words Darker is just stellar. I’m also surprised that they omitted their 2 biggest hits, that was a bold move.

A bold, and refreshing move. I dig it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1691 on: August 09, 2018, 05:30:20 AM »
I haven’t been listening to AB at all lately, but that Words Darker performance is so freakin’ awesome. Such a beautiful song and I love the subtle orchestra arrangement. No guitar solo in this song for once (with Creed it was the other way around; a guitar solo was a rare thing back then), but this song really doesn’t need one.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1692 on: August 10, 2018, 06:03:06 PM »
Watching the two videos released of that live show has reignited my intense man-crush on Myles that I originally got seeing them play live on their first few tours. That man is amazing.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1693 on: August 12, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
I haven’t been listening to AB at all lately, but that Words Darker performance is so freakin’ awesome. Such a beautiful song and I love the subtle orchestra arrangement. No guitar solo in this song for once (with Creed it was the other way around; a guitar solo was a rare thing back then), but this song really doesn’t need one.

It's interesting you say that. When Creed got back together, and they brought in Eric Friedman as a touring guitarist, that allowed Tremonti to extend and improvise those solos. I watched a live performance of With Arms Wide Open from like 2009 or 2010, and Tremonti took a 6 second solo to like 30 seconds, and it was awesome.

When Alter Bridge premiered Open Your Eyes, I remembered some stations wouldn't play because of the guitar solo. For the awhile, having a tailored guitar solo was looked down upon on a radio release.

Agreed, Words Darker Than Their Wings is a song that doesn't need a solo, and I feel like AB has been pretty good at recognizing which songs should have a solo or not.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: August 13, 2018, 09:24:56 AM »

A bold, and refreshing move. I dig it.

Me too.

It's interesting you say that. When Creed got back together, and they brought in Eric Friedman as a touring guitarist, that allowed Tremonti to extend and improvise those solos. I watched a live performance of With Arms Wide Open from like 2009 or 2010, and Tremonti took a 6 second solo to like 30 seconds, and it was awesome.

When Alter Bridge premiered Open Your Eyes, I remembered some stations wouldn't play because of the guitar solo. For the awhile, having a tailored guitar solo was looked down upon on a radio release.

Agreed, Words Darker Than Their Wings is a song that doesn't need a solo, and I feel like AB has been pretty good at recognizing which songs should have a solo or not.

The non-soloing on Creed's first record (there were some spots), and more minor soloing on the next two albums (before they finally started soloing on the fourth Creed album), I think had more to do with the style that was popular at the time, rather than the addition of Eric. Yeah, I mean, having Eric made it easier to do, since then there was a rhythm player. But I think it mostly came down to the fact Creed was in the late-90s, and guitar solos were frowned upon until about 2005, when metal made a resurgence.

AB was ahead of that curve, and I am so glad they were. I remember hearing Metalingus for the first time when One Day Remains came out (that was the first song I heard), and I was over the moon that Mark finally let it rip. Damn good stuff. But yeah, as they've gotten a handle on their sound, they make pretty good calls on what songs need a solo and which ones don't. Words is just so emotional, its just not needed at all. It is so well written, I didn't even notice the first couple of times I heard it that there wasn't a solo. Testament to the quality of the song.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: August 16, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Scott Stapp really look down on guitar solos?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1696 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Scott Stapp really look down on guitar solos?

Probably, thank God Mark doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: August 16, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »

Nah, it was more that it wasn't popular at the time, and they were looking to appeal to the masses. Mark soloed on Human Clay, Weathered, and Full Circle (solos grew in frequency with each album).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1698 on: August 16, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Oddly enough, and I noticed this in Rain from Creed's Full Circle album, I did not like that Stapp sang over Mark's outro solo. Typically, I would think a Mark Tremonti solo, in any outlet, can stand out by itself without any vocals, I feel.

On the topic though, I don't think in the late 90s, in general music, big guitar solos that guys like Mark Tremonti delivers nowadays were in vogue at the time.  Don't know why, but that's just how it was.  That stated, we all love solos that has meaning to it and as stated, AB and Mark has a clear idea when a solo fits into a song and when it doesn't.  I'm a bit sadden that the radio version of Open Your Eyes (when it was a single) condensed the solo, because the first time I heard the song, and I guess the reason why I liked AB in the first place, was mainly due to that Open Your Eyes bridge and how it segue very nicely into the solo.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:10:19 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1699 on: August 24, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
One more song, two weeks before the DVD is released.  The End Is Here.  With only one guitar in the mix, I believe the orchestra really shines in this one, moreso than the other two (but I still find Addicted to Pain and Words Darker Than Their Wings that has been released so far to be great stuff, so this really bodes well for the DVD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7sdjPH513c

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: August 24, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Next to Words Darker Than Their Wings, this is the second most highly anticipated song for me on this release. I am NOT WATCHING so I can just enjoy it in all its glory when it comes out. God, I love that song.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1701 on: August 24, 2018, 12:55:59 PM »
One more song, two weeks before the DVD is released.  The End Is Here.  With only one guitar in the mix, I believe the orchestra really shines in this one, moreso than the other two (but I still find Addicted to Pain and Words Darker Than Their Wings that has been released so far to be great stuff, so this really bodes well for the DVD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7sdjPH513c

Wow, really good performance, my only issue would be with Mark's tone. When he plays songs from ODR, it is glaringly obvious he isn't using a clean sound for his clean parts anymore, he just rolls the volume back on a dirty sound. Sometimes he can get away with it and it's fine, here it is not. This song needs that squeaky clean sound for the verses and the first part of the bridge and it's just not there.

Other than that, this is killer. The orchestra sounds really good, the arrangements are nice and the rest of the band performance is on point.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: August 24, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »

Wow, really good performance, my only issue would be with Mark's tone. When he plays songs from ODR, it is glaringly obvious he isn't using a clean sound for his clean parts anymore, he just rolls the volume back on a dirty sound.

I noted that over the years. Do you or anyone know why that is? I actually meant to ask him that in Spokane last December, but there were so many people, it just slipped my mind. I assume its just streamlining, not having as much gear, and just going with what he has on-hand. But has he ever talked about it?

I have not listened to this performance yet obviously, but I also prefer the cleaner sound on the ODR parts.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1703 on: August 24, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »

Wow, really good performance, my only issue would be with Mark's tone. When he plays songs from ODR, it is glaringly obvious he isn't using a clean sound for his clean parts anymore, he just rolls the volume back on a dirty sound.

I noted that over the years. Do you or anyone know why that is? I actually meant to ask him that in Spokane last December, but there were so many people, it just slipped my mind. I assume its just streamlining, not having as much gear, and just going with what he has on-hand. But has he ever talked about it?

I have not listened to this performance yet obviously, but I also prefer the cleaner sound on the ODR parts.

Dude has a clean channel. Tiny bands playing in tiny pubs have clean channels. Plus he obviously has pedals since he uses a good amount of FX. So I have no idea why he's doing it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1704 on: August 24, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »

Dude has a clean channel. Tiny bands playing in tiny pubs have clean channels. Plus he obviously has pedals since he uses a good amount of FX. So I have no idea why he's doing it.

Right, like Adami said, he definitely has the gear - last time I saw AB Mark had several very expensive amps on stage with him, I believe one of his main amps is still the Boogie Triple Rec, which has a clean channel. He just, for whatever reason, doesn't use the clean channel anymore.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: August 24, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »
A shame. If I get the opportunity to talk with him again, I will ask.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1706 on: August 25, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
Jesus Christ, this is gonna be an unbelievable dvd. The setlist is amazing, and from what we’ve seen from the songs released, the performances from all are top notch and the cinematography is beautiful!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1707 on: August 25, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »
I think if I change my expectations, I will enjoy this a lot more.

If I am expecting a great symphonic rock/metal show, then I will be disappointed.

If I am expecting a great Alter Bridge show with some minor orchestral elements in the background, I will enjoy it a lot more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1708 on: August 27, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
I think if I change my expectations, I will enjoy this a lot more.

If I am expecting a great symphonic rock/metal show, then I will be disappointed.

If I am expecting a great Alter Bridge show with some minor orchestral elements in the background, I will enjoy it a lot more.

Pretty much spot on. Still worth buying for me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: September 04, 2018, 02:24:31 PM »
Got emails and a text today saying my bundles have shipped. So should be golden for Friday *fingers crossed*

Can't wait to hear and see all of it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: September 06, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Bundle 1 (the limited one) will be here in about an hour. Nice to pre-order something and have it get here early for a change. Bundle 2 is shipped as well, assuming it will arrive tomorrow. Gonna be an AB weekend for sure!

And Adami - just expect that AB show with half the set accompanied by an orchestra to give it a different feel. Because that's what it is. AB will never be symphonic metal.

I can't wait. The format of this -- the show spliced up by documentary coverage, doesn't sound like a great way to do it, but they've done it before, and it worked, so I am sure this will too. Should be a cool experience. I have a gig poster from these shows that I had them sign in December (its framed and in my den at home). I'll take a pic and post it this weekend.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1711 on: September 06, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
Bundle 1 (the limited one) will be here in about an hour. Nice to pre-order something and have it get here early for a change. Bundle 2 is shipped as well, assuming it will arrive tomorrow. Gonna be an AB weekend for sure!

And Adami - just expect that AB show with half the set accompanied by an orchestra to give it a different feel. Because that's what it is. AB will never be symphonic metal.

I can't wait. The format of this -- the show spliced up by documentary coverage, doesn't sound like a great way to do it, but they've done it before, and it worked, so I am sure this will too. Should be a cool experience. I have a gig poster from these shows that I had them sign in December (its framed and in my den at home). I'll take a pic and post it this weekend.

That's awesome! Report back and let us know your thoughts once you watch it!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: September 06, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
It just arrived. The White Vinyl packaging is damaged. Corner significantly crushed. The vinyl itself seems to have avoided damage, but the gatefold cover, and the sleeves are mangled. Have an email in to see if I can get a replacement gatefold and sleeves. The cover even has indentations on the front, due to what appears to be someone writing on a piece of paper on it. Just shoddy packaging. Came in a box with ZERO padding. So that nice white vinyl set...man, that sucks. But the vinyl records all look OK.

The rest (crew shirt, laminate, and of course the blu-ray and 2 CD set) all look fine. :)

This was the pre-order from the AB site. The Napalm Records bundle is still unaccounted for, but it did ship. I expect it tomorrow.

p.s. through the first three tracks of the CDs. Interesting mix. It sounds different for sure, because they needed some of the frequencies that the guitars usually sit in for the strings. Some some guitar parts are not there, and instead there's the orchestra (nothing major, but little bits). I like this, because its really not just a concert with an orchestra behind them, they are weaving in and out here and there. I think its a cool mix, and something different than their previous live releases.

Again, on my first listen, and just through Before Tomorrow Comes.

Enjoy to those that are getting it today and tomorrow!  :metal
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:15:28 PM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1713 on: September 06, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
Mine will be in tomorrow, I just got the blu ray. Work is gonna draaaggg tomorrow for sure! 😂

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1714 on: September 06, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
Huzzah!!!  My Earbook, DVD/CD, shirt bundle is here, one day before release day.

Like actually here and not stolen. I got to say that they really taped this, bubble wrap, and saran wrap this thing to death. Everything is here in one piece. Nothing torn or damaged or ripped. Earbook looks nice. Can act as a case for the CDs, DVD and Bluray as well. Filled with loads of pictures of the show, of the rehearsal, etc. Don't know why they include the lyrics of all 22 songs played, especially when Wonderful Life/Watch Over You is the abridged version of both songs. Last few pages is basically everyone that made this show possible (AB, management, the roadies, who plays what in the orchestra, who did the orchestral arrangements in the songs). Last page also includes the thank you notes from the band with the shout-outs to the usual guys (their family, Tim Tournier (their manager), Erock, Garrett Whitlock (both from Tremonti), John Connolly of Sevendust, Slash and Conspirators) and the usual omissions........

I'll watch the DVD tomorrow when I'm able to get three hours of free time to watch this thing without any distractions, but I'm already happy with my package. Everything is here in one piece with no damages. Earbook looks nice. Shirt fits nicely.  Well done, Napalm Records. That's two live releases that you delivered in a timely manner for Alter Bridge. I'm proud of yas.  With this release, that label is a crop above all other labels that AB was ever a part of.