Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 258740 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. "The Last Hero"
« Reply #1330 on: October 05, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
Agreed, I'd love to see them throw in The Other Side. The single has been out for a week or so, and the song is killer.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1331 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »
Well, this is neat.  Live Nation will stream the AB concert in Dallas on Friday, the same day The Last Hero comes out.

Announcement Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfvQvFXsJP4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=LiveNation

Actual Stream Video: https://youtu.be/aKZ5cmXu3ZE

That is cool. Honest question - do you think they will actually play a good amount of new tunes? So far they have only played Show Me a Leader and My Champion, right?

So far, yes.  I imagine they'll probably play Poison in My Veins since they actually felt that was first single-worthy and maybe one or two more, and I'm hoping they'll throw in one of the new tracks that looks like it has more twists and turns than the usual AB song, but who knows.  They are actually throwing some decent curveballs, at least, during this tour.  They brought back Myles' solo acoustic version of Wonderful Life, they played Make It Right for the first time ever,  and they played Calm The Fire, yesterday. 

So the possibility of them throwing in 2-3 more songs from The Last Hero on the day the album is out is not quite out of the picture as I thought it would be at the start of the tour.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1332 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
Right on. Main reasons I ask; (1) historically AB doesn't mix up their sets enough IMO and (2) the record hits the same day of that show, so people aren't going to know all the tunes on it yet.

I guess technically the tour to support TLH is happening right now, but I consider the proper start of it to be the UK shows later this year, with the hopes of them returning to the states in 2017. I mean, after the album drops Friday, they only have two random shows booked in the US, so I think it's fair to assume songs from TLH will be emphasized more at the start of the UK tour.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1333 on: October 06, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
Tomorrow!!!!  :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1334 on: October 06, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
New album isn't gripping me like Fortress did... could be the whiny/preachy lyrics of The Writing on the Wall or the fact that Every Time I Die also released a new album.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1335 on: October 06, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »
New album isn't gripping me like Fortress did... could be the whiny/preachy lyrics of The Writing on the Wall or the fact that Every Time I Die also released a new album.

It's a very good album, but yeah, I'm not sure that it's the best of this year. There are some amazing highlights on this album (Cradle to the Grave, This Side of Fate, Island of Fools and The Last Hero all stand out for me) and I enjoy revisiting it, but I keep finding myself thinking, "This isn't as good as Theories of Flight."

It's a great album and definitely a Top 5 or 10 for me this year- but it's not anywhere near as good as ToF. Fates Warning has my Album of the Year ranking pretty much sealed in place at this point.

Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1336 on: October 07, 2016, 12:51:05 AM »
God bless Apple Music...the album has been released, and I'm listening to it right now! Im still going to buy the physical copy tomorrow afternoon.

A few songs in....and I actually like The Writing on the Wall! I dig the chorus

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1337 on: October 07, 2016, 02:02:33 AM »
I don't see this album as average, guys. This is their grandest and most varied album yet. I hear the romanticism of Chopin and the rock opera of Queen, still keeping it very much an Alter Bridge record, except there's no "Watch Over You" type of ballad.

ISLAND OF FOOLS  :metal :metal :metal

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1338 on: October 07, 2016, 02:40:41 AM »
Was able to resist temptation to listen to any released previews, songs or leaks apart from Show Me A Leader so I got the full album.

First impression is excellent, there's a variety of different and impressive songs on here. Special mention to The Other Side, which blew me away on first listen and feels very new for the band. Island Of Fools is awesome. And of course Cradle To The Grave, This Side Of Fate and The Last Hero.

Will need some time to get to know every song (there were a few that didn't really grab me on early listens), but I am very pleased with the album at this point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:13:56 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1339 on: October 07, 2016, 05:19:56 AM »
I don't feel there's any songs of the caliber of Blackbird or Fortress (the songs). That said, this album feels very strong throughout.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: October 07, 2016, 05:45:19 AM »
Should be able to get a copy of this in store this weekend, looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1341 on: October 07, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »
Off to listen to this thing for the first time on Spotify now... I'll pick up a CD at the store on my way home from work today.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1342 on: October 07, 2016, 06:54:58 AM »
Anyone hear the bonus track from Best Buy? Is it good enough to warrant a purchase?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1343 on: October 07, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
Made it through the album one time so far, work has been busy. My initial reaction is WOW. Great first impression. For me personally, this is the direction I'd hoped AB would continue to go after Fortress. This is borderline prog metal.

More thoughts to come after a few more listens, but man, I'm impressed. How these guys aren't the biggest thing in rock/metal right now is beyond me.  :hefdaddy

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1344 on: October 07, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »
Made it through the album one time so far, work has been busy. My initial reaction is WOW. Great first impression. For me personally, this is the direction I'd hoped AB would continue to go after Fortress. This is borderline prog metal.

More thoughts to come after a few more listens, but man, I'm impressed. How these guys aren't the biggest thing in rock/metal right now is beyond me.  :hefdaddy

I often think that as well. But the majority of the people who I try to turn on to this band reject them, mainly because of Myles' voice.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1345 on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
I often think that as well. But the majority of the people who I try to turn on to this band reject them, mainly because of Myles' voice.

Oh yeah, I've heard that before. Opinions are funny like that, in my book Myles Kennedy is the BEST rock/metal singer in the world.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1346 on: October 07, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »

Oh yeah, I've heard that before. Opinions are funny like that, in my book Myles Kennedy is the BEST rock/metal singer in the world.

Lol, same here.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1347 on: October 07, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
I've had a chance to listen to The Last Hero about three times all the way through.

A couple thoughts (keep in mind this is all still pretty fresh):

My early favorite tracks:
The Other Side - it was the standout single for me before the album was released. Great song, works well in the context of the album.
Cradle to the Grace - loved this one, killer lyrics and melody.
This Side of Fate - AB stretching their wings and mixing up song structures is always a good thing in my book.
Island of Fools - my jaw literally dropped, so heavy, so good.
The Last Hero - fantastic effort with the title track, lots of amazing moments to continue to unpack with this one.

As far as the album overall is concerned, I think the boys sound like they are in top form. Myles' guitar work on this one is the best I've ever heard from him. Mark continues to convince me that he might be the master of the modern heavy riff and his leads sound great as well. Flip and Brian are a rock solid groove section throughout, giving Mark and Myles a great foundation to work on. Its definitely not a perfect record, the production is a bit tiring and busy but overall, it's really not that different from Fortress in that regard.

I'll need to give it more time, but as of right now I'd say they have done it again, another fantastic record from these guys. I don't know if it will ever dethrone my top 2 AB records (BB and Fortress, which switch places depending on the day). But I can definitely say I like this and see myself coming back to this record more than ABIII and probably even ODR.

That all being said, I checked out the AB forums today and oh man....I couldn't believe how negative the majority of the posters were regarding this album. The level of ODR elitism over there is enough to convince me to never be more than a lurker.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: October 07, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
It's so strange to me that their forums would be so full of people who put ODR on a pedestal. If they hadn't moved on from that sound, I never would've become a fan of Alter Bridge at all.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1349 on: October 07, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
It's so strange to me that their forums would be so full of people who put ODR on a pedestal. If they hadn't moved on from that sound, I never would've become a fan of Alter Bridge at all.

I agree. From what I discern as a lurker, it sounds like a lot of them were Creed fans maybe? They saw ODR as basically, a heavier Creed with a better singer and solos... To me ODR was AB still trying to discover their identity as a group. BB through TLH is Alter Bridge defining what their identity was and is.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1350 on: October 07, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »
I've had a chance to listen to The Last Hero about three times all the way through.

A couple thoughts (keep in mind this is all still pretty fresh):

The Other Side - it was the standout single for me before the album was released. Great song, works well in the context of the album.
This Side of Fate - AB stretching their wings and mixing up song structures is always a good thing in my book.
The Last Hero - fantastic effort with the title track, lots of amazing moments to continue to unpack with this one.

As far as the album overall is concerned, I think the boys sound like they are in top form. Myles' guitar work on this one is the best I've ever heard from him. Mark continues to convince me that he might be the master of the modern heavy riff and his leads sound great as well. Flip and Brian are a rock solid groove section throughout, giving Mark and Myles a great foundation to work on. Its definitely not a perfect record, the production is a bit tiring and busy but overall, it's really not that different from Fortress in that regard.

I'll need to give it more time, but as of right now I'd say they have done it again, another fantastic record from these guys. I don't know if it will ever dethrone my top 2 AB records (BB and Fortress, which switch places depending on the day). But I can definitely say I like this and see myself coming back to this record more than ABIII and probably even ODR.

That all being said, I checked out the AB forums today and oh man....I couldn't believe how negative the majority of the posters were regarding this album. The level of ODR elitism over there is enough to convince me to never be more than a lurker.

Pretty much my thoughts to a tee. I like it a lot and the highlights that you listed are the sound I think the band is trying to evolve into now. However I think some of the other older sounding and softer songs on the album hold it back from being as united a vision as it could be.

I love the direction the band's heading in; they just need to be willing to disappoint some of their older fans and be completely honest with themselves at this point.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1351 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
I love the direction the band's heading in; they just need to be willing to disappoint some of their older fans and be completely honest with themselves at this point.

Well said. It sounds weird to say they need to be willing to disappoint that original fan base, but I think you are spot on. To these ears, it sounds like they are inspired to write stuff pretty different from ODR, so in my book, I'd say write what you are inspired to write.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1352 on: October 07, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
I think I can go ahead and call this the big 5 of this album, definitely my top picks from the album on first listen as well and I feel like I've seen quite a few others with similar feelings.

And yeah, I remember even back in 2010 before AB III when I joined the Alter Bridge forum I was surprised by how strongly One Day Remains biased it seemed - and that was with only 2 albums out. Until then basically everyone I knew that liked and the impression from shows etc. was that they had really stepped forward with Blackbird. I mean I love One Day Remains - I was a Creed fan and have followed Alter Bridge since the beginning, they quickly became one of my favourite bands with just that one album. But while there are some absolute classics on the album, I can't really imagine listening to The Last Hero and wishing that they had been stuck sounding like One Day Remains.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1353 on: October 07, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
Regarding the AB Nation forums people, I think most of the people felt that stuff like the loudness of the albums and having multiple Myles vocals in the tracks just turns them off so much regarding the modern-day AB and I think those are fair gripes to have.  I don't think its really an Elvis problem, as well, since people in forums like DTF had praised the production in albums like Slash's World on Fire or Trivium's Silence in the Snow, which was produced by Elvis.  I would like to think AB pushed Elvis to have these stylistic choices, for better or worse.

That stated, I enjoyed the album.  The band played like they had more urgency to it, which is fine given the theme.  Despite this album being 76 minutes (with the bonus tracks included), it flew like a breeze, which I couldn't say much regarding AB III's track length where it was a bit of a struggle to get through.  Last of Our Kind was really good as well and proves that AB's bonus tracks could easily replace certain songs from the intended album.

Overall, ODR AB, Blackbird-era AB, AB III-era AB, Fortress, The Last Hero.  I don't think Alter Bridge is capable of making a very crappy album at all and whatever direction they want to go towards, I'll still listen with intrigued ears as long as they feel that these songs they created are showcasing themselves in the best way they want to.

Favorites: Cradle to the Grave, This Side of Fate, Twilight, Island of Fools, and The Last Hero.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:46:19 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1354 on: October 07, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
I absolutely love this album, and the overall sound and direction the band has taken. Here's my review, nearly the same one I posted on Alter Bridge Nation

For the past 12 years, Alter Bridge has gone through some changes; from record labels to their business approach to selling records and touring, to side projects. The one thing that hasn’t changed is the dynamic songwriting and interplay from our beloved band who truly is one of the greats of rock music since the turn of the century.

One thing about many great bands and artists is that their sounds do change over time. If they didn’t try new things; didn’t change their sound, they wouldn’t be the renowned artist like we know them. Led Zeppelin went from writing (and covering) blues and folk music to psychedelic, hypnotic rock. Compare The Beatles Please Please Me to Abby Road, and the difference in sound is huge. Even Michael Jackson changed his sound several times in his solo career, from disco to R&B to new jack swing. In Alter Bridge’s case, we go from the anthem rock songs of One Day Remains to heavy progressive rock that they display in The Last Hero. And that is ok.

The Last Hero to me is an incredible testament for the band that they don’t want every new release to sound like the last one. That they want to push themselves with new ideas and styles. This album is chalk full different chord progressions, experimentation of songs structures, and implementing influences from romantic classical music and operatic rock. They delivered an album in which the sound and the story shines grander than any other Alter Bridge record to date.

There is a theme throughout this record that makes it one of the more compelling Alter Bridge records. It’s as if Myles Kennedy wrote this waiting for Superman. Waiting for someone to lift society and inspire us. It’s not in your face political ala Rage Against The Machine or Public Enemy. In fact, he takes the approach of Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On, a record that emphasizes instead of criticizes. Here, Myles understands the divisiveness and current state of our society, and touches on these emotions of frustration and unrest.

The lyrical content compliments the overall musical aesthetic of the album. It’s heavy, energetic, and at times, chaotic. This album is quite diverse, but don’t expect a mellow ballad like “Watch Over You” in this one. In fact, a song a like that would probably feel out of place in the tone set throughout the album. Despite the lack of a mellow ballad, you got songs like “You Will Be Remembered” and “My Champion” that fits in nicely as anthemic ballads that gives thanks. Songs like “Cradle To The Grave” display the romanticism of Chopin and Bellini. The bridge to “This Side of Fate” will make any fans of Queen and Muse smile ear to ear. The influence of the rock opera and glam sounds of these bands are definitely heard, from the music composition to the soaring vocals of Myles Kennedy.

This album is full of head bang worthy riffs. “Island of Fools” stands out to me as one of Alter Bridge’s finest to get you pumped. The build up in the first 30 seconds sets you up for an ally oop. That riff is just monstrous! The dual guitar interplay is phenomenal, backed up by the the thunder buddies, Brian Marshall and Scott Phillips. I especially enjoyed Flip’s play on “The Writing On The Wall”, and Brian holds together that bridge in “The Other Side”, and absolutely brings in it “Poison In Your Veins.”

Mark Tremonti is the definitive lead hard rock guitarist of our time. Yes, he has his signature sound, but to be able to change up his chord progression and be effective is a testament of how talented the man is. We heard a little bit of this industrial progressive type of playing in “Calm The Fire” on Fortress, but I’ll even go back to Blackbird with “Coming Home,” specifically in the chorus. Songs like “Losing Patience” will give the fans in a concert such a jolt of energy, I love Mark’s sludgy riffs he dished in his solo band, and served us with that riffage with “The Other Side.” The vocal work on this record is the most dramatic, dynamic, and haunting that we ever heard Myles Kennedy perform, and it truly shows the range this man possesses. He just can perform any type of style exceptionally well. He channels his inner Freddie Mercury in a operatic tone in songs like “Cradle To The Grave”, “This Side of Fate” and “The Last Hero.” His vocals just absolutely soars.

The title track is one of the most satisfying endings to an album that I heard in awhile. "The Last Hero" might be a better ending to an album than "Fortress", which absolutely stunned me with that killer dual guitar solo. However, "The Last Hero" rounds up the album thematically, if not dramatically. In fact, Myles states this with “Tell me where are the heroes” in this incredible furious, head banging moment leading up to the first solo. The solos on this song are just constructed so well, and I’m sure they were tailored for the lyrics. The chorus might be my favorite off this record.

The Last Hero succeeds in many aspects. It does pay homage to their past work, but ultimately, owning to their evolution to be one of the dynamic bands today. It’s not a departure from the sounds of the past per se, because each album is a departure from the last. However, The Last Hero made sure of one thing; that the band won’t stop growing, won’t stop fighting, and won’t stop excelling.

4/5

Favorite Songs:
The Last Hero
Island Of Fools
This Side of Fate
Cradle To The Grave
The Other Side

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1355 on: October 07, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
GREAT review!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1356 on: October 08, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
Thanks! While I love the album, I gotta have to agree with a lot of the complaints on how Elvis mixed this record...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1357 on: October 08, 2016, 10:52:20 PM »
Listened to the first two songs, really digging them. Will listen more tomorrow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1358 on: October 09, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
Thanks! While I love the album, I gotta have to agree with a lot of the complaints on how Elvis mixed this record...

Oh yeah, I'm in the same boat. For me, it's not terribly mixed but it's also not particularly well done in that regard either. I think the band could certainly benefit from a fresh producer next time around.

That being said, there's so much to love on this album, these guys are great at what they do.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1359 on: October 09, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »
Had to take a break about 70% through. Just really started blurring together to me. At this point, I can't even tell you which songs are on the last 3 albums, they are sounding REALLY similar to each other to a degree that unless I listen to them over and over and over, they will sound like one continuous song.

The mix doesn't help too. It's not bad, but when it gets heavy, I have no clue what's going on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: October 09, 2016, 11:37:20 PM »
This album is indeed loud as a mother fucker.  Pretty standard AB, but liking it but only listened to it twice.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1361 on: October 10, 2016, 05:19:56 AM »
I don't know if I even want to give this more than one listen, because this sounds incredibly stock and unmemorable, at least up to Crows on a Wire where I'm at now (well, save for Show Me a Leader). Even if I'm in for a good finish to the album it won't be enough to save the whole. The Last Hero seems like a far cry from the not-so-sparse highlights of Fortress.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1362 on: October 10, 2016, 05:28:18 AM »
Definitely a step down from Fortress. Not a bad album, but aside from The Other Side, Cradle to the Grave and maybe the title track, it lacks standouts and it's also very similar throughout. The only songs that really sound different are the three mentioned songs, Twilight, You Will Be Remembered and My Champion, and aside from You Will Be Remembered, they're mostly different in a bad way.

I'll be giving this one or two more listens because it might grow on me, but my first listen was a little disappointing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:34:40 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: October 10, 2016, 05:32:41 AM »
I'm gonna reserve judgement after I have quite a few listens.  I remember I was really underwhelmed with Fortress at first but it slowly became easily my fav AB album.  I don't think this new one will get anywhere near it, but I think it's good and has potential to be better.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1364 on: October 10, 2016, 07:08:09 AM »
I've breaking this down by 5 song increments. So far this album is kicking my ass and is my album of the year. Still haven't hear the last 5 songs yet either.