Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 259635 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. "The Last Hero"
« Reply #1260 on: September 12, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Here is something a little more in-depth:

https://whatculture.com/music/alter-bridge-the-last-hero-13-tracks-reviewed-ranked

Track by track ranking and review. Sounds like good stuff!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1261 on: September 12, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »
And they're gonna release a b-side from ODR  :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1262 on: September 13, 2016, 06:53:11 AM »
Yeah I saw that, as a Best Buy bonus track. Looks like I'm heading to Best Buy on release day.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1263 on: September 17, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
Over at the Alter Bridge website they have some sweet new merch and cd packages going on. I'll probably end up over at Best Buy getting the music, but I might have to get some of these shirts

https://alterbridge.shop.livenation.com/store/?src=ALTWEB&currency=USD

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1264 on: September 17, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
I preordered about a month ago with the star shirt. Super psyched for a new AB shirt to rock. The new tour shirts look pretty kickass though. Might have to double up.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1265 on: September 19, 2016, 08:41:11 PM »
On Monday Night Football tonight, they've been playing My Champion right before commercial break all night  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1266 on: September 20, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »
On Monday Night Football tonight, they've been playing My Champion right before commercial break all night  :metal

It's just a shame that My Champion doesn't mesh very well with the rest of the album, imo. But it's definitely a fun and accessible single! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1267 on: September 20, 2016, 06:37:26 AM »

That's awesome! Great exposure for the band.

It's just a shame that My Champion doesn't mesh very well with the rest of the album, imo. But it's definitely a fun and accessible single! :tup

Hopefully it leads to some people checking out more of AB's music past that one song!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1268 on: September 20, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
Hopefully it leads to some people checking out more of AB's music past that one song!

Hopefully, but it's also a bit disheartening to think that AB might find the success they've been looking for for so long through a song that really sells their talents short and feels at odds with the band they've primarily become over the past two or three albums. It's that old conundrum; I want AB to be successful and get the recognition that they've deserved for years- but the material that won over my respect toward them is the sort of thing that isn't all that popular on radio stations.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1269 on: September 20, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
Hopefully, but it's also a bit disheartening to think that AB might find the success they've been looking for for so long through a song that really sells their talents short and feels at odds with the band they've primarily become over the past two or three albums. It's that old conundrum; I want AB to be successful and get the recognition that they've deserved for years- but the material that won over my respect toward them is the sort of thing that isn't all that popular on radio stations.

Oh I agree, but I guess it doesn't surprise me. AB has been pushing more toward a prog-metal approach rather than rock radio, so it would be ironic if the one rock radio friendly song catches on,  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1270 on: September 20, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
So as folks seem to already know, The Last Hero leaked over a week ago. Been sitting on it and letting it simmer in my head in the meantime, trying to get my thoughts together on the album:

While I am really enjoying The Last Hero, I don't think it tops what Fates Warning did earlier this year with Theories of Flight. It might take a few more listens for me to be absolutely sure on that one, but TLH has one or two arguable 'flaws' that come to my mind: Firstly that the album is probably too long and could have been cut down to 9 or 10 songs rather than the 13/14 songs that are there. Secondly, I think one or two songs feel a bit too alien to the rest of the album- primarily My Champion. It's not a bad song, but it feels a bit too out-of-line with the rest of the album musically.

That being said, the band has some pretty killer material on this album and that material is often pretty dense compared to previous entries. I've been listening to it for over a week now and I'm still hearing new details in different songs. There's a lot to love on this album and it might be my new favorite from the band, despite those two flaws I mentioned.

Personally speaking, my three favorites off the album right now are This Side of Fate, The Last Hero and Island of Fools. Not sure of the exact order there though, because they're all killer. TSoF is the most progressive song that Alter Bridge has ever written. It's like Opeth meets Muse. Amazing stuff there. Nothing like the other epics that the band's done before. The Last Hero is a bit more familiar, sounding like Fortress with hints of Cry of Achilles here and there (especially the ending).

And then there's Island of Fools... just...  HNNNNNGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! :hefdaddy The chorus melody on that one reminds me of Geoff Tate's vocal line at the end of Screaming in Digital. It's a total monster of a song. There's some notable Gojira-esque riffs going on in this song and throughout the rest of the album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: September 20, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
Nice writeup.  Looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1272 on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »

Thanks. I've been trying to be mum about it, since I thought it was ridiculous that an album could leak well over three weeks before its public release and figured I'd try to keep quiet for at least a week. But at this point, it's pretty common knowledge that the album is out there and since folks aren't allowed to talk about it at TABN (something that I think is going to backfire for that site), I figured it'd probably be wiser to talk about it here with you guys.

I will say this: Fans of One Day Remains probably won't like this album. I don't want to assume on that, but considering how many folks seem to practically worship that album over at TABN and seemingly almost detest the band's more recent work, it seems like a strong possibility to me. Alter Bridge isn't a hard rock band anymore, despite what Myles and Mark might say. They're a heavy metal/prog metal band, in the vein of Queensryche and the like.

There's three 'light' songs on this album (My Champion, You Will Be Remembered and Twilight). The rest is pretty damn heavy and a good number of those heavy songs mix things up a bit and try new things too. That's why My Champion especially feels out of place. It's a fun song, but it's like having a Raised on Radio-era Journey tune squeezed into the middle of Operation: Mindcrime. I'm all for variety, but there's got to be at least some sort of tonal balance with the album.

That's why I think Lover was such a highlight on Fortress; it's a very different sort of song from the rest of the album, but it totally matches the tone perfectly. Hell, even All Ends Well manages to fit in by being immediately followed by the title track and having its lyrical themes juxtaposed by Fortress' lyrics. One song suggests that we can succeed and work towards a finished goal/that 'all ends well,' while the other song looks further ahead and recognizes that nothing we do lasts forever.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: September 20, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »
Just good to see that they are continue in the more heavier direction.  I'm a huge fan of the first album, but happy to hear they are steering so far away from that style too.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: September 20, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
Yeah, that's all great news to me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1275 on: September 20, 2016, 06:10:50 PM »
Just good to see that they are continue in the more heavier direction.  I'm a huge fan of the first album, but happy to hear they are steering so far away from that style too.
Yeah, that's all great news to me.

That's good to hear. I've been lurking and occasionally commenting over at TABN and it's a bit disorienting to see most of their views on the band compared to most other AB fans I've run into over the years.

But yeah, The Last Hero is awesome. It has a ton of content, so it might possibly be too long... jury's still undecided on that end. One or two of the lighter songs don't feel like they mesh well at all with the rest of the album (Twilight fits in the best, imo).

It's also rather noticeably their heaviest album, but manages to be really catchy as hell too. Island of Fools might have their best chorus ever. Again, it's just.... HHHHNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH. :hefdaddy I'm not entirely certain here, but this might be the first time Alter Bridge has released an album where I favored a shorter song over one of their epics. It's hard to say, because all three of those tracks are some of the best material the band's ever done.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:20:36 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1276 on: September 20, 2016, 08:57:35 PM »

Thanks. I've been trying to be mum about it, since I thought it was ridiculous that an album could leak well over three weeks before its public release and figured I'd try to keep quiet for at least a week. But at this point, it's pretty common knowledge that the album is out there and since folks aren't allowed to talk about it at TABN (something that I think is going to backfire for that site), I figured it'd probably be wiser to talk about it here with you guys.

I will say this: Fans of One Day Remains probably won't like this album. I don't want to assume on that, but considering how many folks seem to practically worship that album over at TABN and seemingly almost detest the band's more recent work, it seems like a strong possibility to me. Alter Bridge isn't a hard rock band anymore, despite what Myles and Mark might say. They're a heavy metal/prog metal band, in the vein of Queensryche and the like.

I use to be a heavily active poster at TABN forums (I'm Electricladyland)....in fact I was member way back in 2004 when it was alterbridgeband, and that's how I discovered Dream Theater. I'll pop in every now and then, but I stopped maybe 5 years ago when everyones thoughts and opinions were challenged by other members, and there was constant name calling. "No you are wrong my opinion only matters they need to go back to their One Day Remains roots you stupid blah blah blah blah." I just got sick and tired of it all. I think things are better though, and there's plenty of good people on that forum, especially those from the ABB.net days

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: September 20, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
It's also rather noticeably their heaviest album

Fucking A!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1278 on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
I use to be a heavily active poster at TABN forums (I'm Electricladyland)....in fact I was member way back in 2004 when it was alterbridgeband, and that's how I discovered Dream Theater. I'll pop in every now and then, but I stopped maybe 5 years ago when everyones thoughts and opinions were challenged by other members, and there was constant name calling. "No you are wrong my opinion only matters they need to go back to their One Day Remains roots you stupid blah blah blah blah." I just got sick and tired of it all. I think things are better though, and there's plenty of good people on that forum, especially those from the ABB.net days

I would like to think the name-calling and the negativity has died down relatively enough since they moved servers or reset the forums back in 2012.  Some people still like to harp on they think AB needs to go back to ODR-sound, ditch Elvis as a producer, have Myles not play guitar on tour so that he can be more a frontman, etc.  There are also people that don't like stuff like the chugga metal riffs or the layering Myles backing vocals that the modern-day AB has incorporated in their songs and that's a fair gripe to feel. 

I do feel like the TABN forums is still a good forum to post about anything in (it's still the first place, I'd go to on the web.  DTF is the second place I go to afterwards, aside from Twitter.)  Things are being tense when closing in on album release day and few people are not really feeling the first singles so far and think The Last Hero may reflect that, but really, does any singles in their catalog really reflect the album as a whole?  No, AB has always been more defined and revered on the backs of their albums as a whole rather than "hit" singles.

I will say this.  I do think them going back to an ODR-sound may be a step back (though some nods to it, not too much, can be appreciative like in My Champion), since, to me, it would be admitting that Myles failed as a songwriter, lyricist, and guitarist for AB and that's just not true where him taking part in those roles from Blackbird, onwards, has played a huge role in defining AB outside of the shadows of Creed or any other projects that AB members are in.  All I can say is we know these guys are top-notch musicians and they always create an album that will reflect that and show their strengths and create songs that people can relate to and get behind and I don't see any reasons why The Last Hero will not show that.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1279 on: September 21, 2016, 03:06:07 AM »
Okay, so my earlier complaint about the album possibly being too long might not hold. I'm having a hard time trying to decide what songs would be best to cut out and reorder the album. It's just a really long album with some really dense songs to it. :lol

To point out some more highlights on the album, I gotta say that Cradle to the Grave has really been standing out for me on the most recent listens. It's right up there with the two epics and Island of Fools imo. It's a very emotional song, the lyrics are really poignant. "There's no way to deny the brevity of life." Christ, that line really stands out to me, especially in the context of the song. Seems to be about Myles's relationship with his parents and his anxieties about them eventually dying in the years to come.

Also Losing Patience has been growing on me a lot with repeated listens. It's a really hooky number. Both it and Poison in Your Veins have choruses that would have made for some really big hits in the Rock/Metal world back in the 80's, I think. The latter's chorus is definitely the one instance where I really feel like Myles' time with Slash has influenced his work on AB. While it's nothing like what Guns 'N Roses would have written about lyrically, the chorus melody is really reminiscent of stuff on Appetite for Destruction.

Yeah, I first joined TABN when Fortress came out and I got burned out by the way folks talked on that forum pretty quickly. I only just recently started going back there for The Last Hero.

I would like to think the name-calling and the negativity has died down relatively enough since they moved servers or reset the forums back in 2012.  Some people still like to harp on they think AB needs to go back to ODR-sound, ditch Elvis as a producer, have Myles not play guitar on tour so that he can be more a frontman, etc.  There are also people that don't like stuff like the chugga metal riffs or the layering Myles backing vocals that the modern-day AB has incorporated in their songs and that's a fair gripe to feel. 

I do feel like the TABN forums is still a good forum to post about anything in (it's still the first place, I'd go to on the web.  DTF is the second place I go to afterwards, aside from Twitter.)  Things are being tense when closing in on album release day and few people are not really feeling the first singles so far and think The Last Hero may reflect that, but really, does any singles in their catalog really reflect the album as a whole?  No, AB has always been more defined and revered on the backs of their albums as a whole rather than "hit" singles.

I will say this.  I do think them going back to an ODR-sound may be a step back (though some nods to it, not too much, can be appreciative like in My Champion), since, to me, it would be admitting that Myles failed as a songwriter, lyricist, and guitarist for AB and that's just not true where him taking part in those roles from Blackbird, onwards, has played a huge role in defining AB outside of the shadows of Creed or any other projects that AB members are in.  All I can say is we know these guys are top-notch musicians and they always create an album that will reflect that and show their strengths and create songs that people can relate to and get behind and I don't see any reasons why The Last Hero will not show that.

Part of the problem is that the mods at TABN are banning any discussion about The Last Hero as a whole album until it's been officially released. While I understand their motivations for doing that, I strongly believe it's the wrong move on their part. Fact of the matter is that people already know that the album leaked and are talking about it elsewhere. Hell, a new sub-reddit was made by folks just to talk about the album. So instead of giving members a new thread to talk about the spoilers of TLH amongst themselves as an outlet, they're just suppressing everything and it's causing a ton of tension there among everyone.

I've actually been pretty frustrated this past week, trying to hold myself back from replying to certain comments at the forum, because my thoughts on certain topics are directly influenced by the fact that I have heard the whole album and know its general sound and texture. You're absolutely right that the two singles don't really reflect the final album very well at all. Hell, like I said earlier, My Champion actually feels like it shouldn't be on this album. It's a fun song and offers variety, but the whiplash effect of how tonally different it is from the rest of the album kinda brings my point to the forefront: The Last Hero is a heavy metal/prog metal album.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:10:14 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1280 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:41 AM »
Seeing them next week. Has anyone seen them on this tour? I'm wondering how the opening bands are to see if it's worth getting there early.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1281 on: September 21, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
Great posts Mister Gold.

I'm really looking forward to TLH based on the prog-metal approach it sounds like the boys are taking.

Also - as a lurker on TABN, the biggest issue I see is that the mods aren't allowing discussion about the leak but then seem to almost tease with details about the new album because they have heard it. If they don't want any discussion about the record until it drops legally, don't stir the pot.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1282 on: September 21, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
Seeing them next week. Has anyone seen them on this tour? I'm wondering how the opening bands are to see if it's worth getting there early.

When I saw them in LA, the opening acts I had was really good, California Breed and Like A Storm.  For this leg, the supports are Adelitas Way and 3 Pill Morning, and from my perspective, if you like typical American radio hard rock, then I'm sure you may find them intriguing enough to get there early.  If not, take your time getting there, but if you have GA, you may not find yourself in the front.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1283 on: September 21, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Man, this album is an attack on the eardrums. Overall it's definitely their heaviest. Heavy and dark in such a way that the few balladry or happy tracks feel totally out of place.

Myles sounds noticeably pissed off on a few of these tracks and the lyrics and music reinforce that angry feeling impressively. I'm a big fan of tracks like Brand New Start. Can't find such a track here, but that's okay. The band is totally on fire, the riffs are heavy af and the solos are out of this world.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1284 on: September 21, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
Man, this album is an attack on the eardrums. Overall it's definitely their heaviest. Heavy and dark in such a way that the few balladry or happy tracks feel totally out of place.

Myles sounds noticeably pissed off on a few of these tracks and the lyrics and music reinforce that angry feeling impressively. I'm a big fan of tracks like Brand New Start. Can't find such a track here, but that's okay. The band is totally on fire, the riffs are heavy af and the solos are out of this world.

I had the same reaction, as mentioned above. My Champion and You Will Be Remembered are both pretty great songs, especially for fans of the lighter side of AB, but it gets jarring for me when they come up in the album. Hell, I played the whole album for my best friend and he cringed pretty hard for both too. That said, I do think it's more noticeable for My Champion.

Speaking of Myles, it seems like he did more guitar solos this time around than he has in the past. I'm pretty sure he at least did the big solos for Cradle to the Grave and This Side of Fate, but I'm not entirely sure which solos on the album are his. You notice 'em, by any chance?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1285 on: September 21, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
I've been holding out on listening to the album's singles for a while and was able to get access to the leak.

I heard two songs (amazing!), but the mix is noticeably worse. I'm worried that it's the leak and I'm going to hold out for the record before listening to the rest, despite how much I'm dying to hear it.

Those who have heard the leak, can you attest to the sound quality compared to Fortress?
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1286 on: September 21, 2016, 07:44:32 PM »
Sounds fine to me... but I say that about Death Magnetic...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1287 on: September 21, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »
I've been holding out on listening to the album's singles for a while and was able to get access to the leak.

I heard two songs (amazing!), but the mix is noticeably worse. I'm worried that it's the leak and I'm going to hold out for the record before listening to the rest, despite how much I'm dying to hear it.

Those who have heard the leak, can you attest to the sound quality compared to Fortress?

I only heard the online songs too, and they definitely sounded seriously loud and clipping.

Also hoping the album version doesn't have that problem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1288 on: September 21, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »

The leak sounds pretty loud to me... but then again, Fortress was pretty loud too. It seemed comparable to me at least.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1289 on: September 22, 2016, 03:12:02 AM »
It's indeed the hottest mastering they've had thus far. Fortress was do-able in that respect, but this one takes it over the edge. I get listening fatigue from this album after 3-4 tracks already. The mix is indeed a lot less clear than Fortress.

A real shame because the music is amazing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1290 on: September 22, 2016, 06:50:22 AM »
I haven't listened to the leak, but the singles, while loud, don't sound like they actually clip. I mix sounds similar to Fortress but louder, which makes it harder to hear instrument separation.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1291 on: September 22, 2016, 07:59:54 AM »
I haven't listened to the leak, but the singles, while loud, don't sound like they actually clip. I mix sounds similar to Fortress but louder, which makes it harder to hear instrument separation.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem I heard in the mix. Very tough to hear the guitar lines in the background while soundy a bit muddy all-around.

It's a normal characteristic of a poor bit-rate/transcode, which makes me feel like the album itself will sound better (Dust/Cauterize/Fortress all sounded so much better!). I think I'll hold out the extra week or two until I get my hands on the CD. I want to hear every last note in my first runthrough!

Thanks guys!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1292 on: September 22, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »

Yeah, that's the biggest problem I heard in the mix. Very tough to hear the guitar lines in the background while soundy a bit muddy all-around.

It's a normal characteristic of a poor bit-rate/transcode, which makes me feel like the album itself will sound better (Dust/Cauterize/Fortress all sounded so much better!). I think I'll hold out the extra week or two until I get my hands on the CD. I want to hear every last note in my first runthrough!

Thanks guys!

Ditto, that's pretty much my thought. I'm holding out for official release.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1293 on: September 22, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
It's indeed the hottest mastering they've had thus far. Fortress was do-able in that respect, but this one takes it over the edge. I get listening fatigue from this album after 3-4 tracks already. The mix is indeed a lot less clear than Fortress.

That's frustrating. I had the same thing with the latest Tremonti album - some great music, but just a bit tiring compared with Cauterize which sounded fantastic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1294 on: September 22, 2016, 09:27:23 AM »

That's frustrating. I had the same thing with the latest Tremonti album - some great music, but just a bit tiring compared with Cauterize which sounded fantastic.

I mean, he is listening to a leak, so hopefully the actually album will be a little better.