Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 259172 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. "The Last Hero"
« Reply #1225 on: July 26, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
The news just keeps a rolling.  They got some headlining US shows, some of them in areas that I really did not expect them to hit.  They probably will hit the bigger areas (New York, LA, Chicago, etc.) early next year.

SEP. 22 Destin, FL, USA - Club LA

SEP. 25 San Antonio, TX, USA - The Aztec Theater

SEP. 28 Minneapolis, MN, USA - Skyway Theatre

SEP.29 Lincoln, NE, USA - Bourbon Theatre

OCT. 4 Matthews, NC, USA - The Fillmore Charlotte

OCT. 5 Nashville, TN, USA - War Memorial Auditorium

OCT. 8 - Tulsa State Fair

Totally at the Lincoln show!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1226 on: July 26, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »
Nothing near me, hopefully they announce some more dates!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1227 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »
Great playing as always and as always Myles sounds great too; but this song is a little too "slick" I guess? Not bad overall just sounds like a movie soundtrack or something that will be used for an election campaign which is a bit too contrived feeling at the moment. Definitely will be happy to hear the new album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: July 27, 2016, 05:57:57 AM »
Not sure if the tracklist had been shared but here it is anyway;

01. Show Me A Leader
02. The Writing On The Wall
03. The Other Side
04. My Champion
05. Poison In Your Veins
06. Cradle To The Grave
07. Losing Patience
08. This Side Of Fate
09. You Will Be Remembered
10. Crows On A Wire
11. Twilight
12. Island Of Fools
13. The Last Hero
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1229 on: July 27, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »
I wasn't going to listen to the new song but now that it looks like I'm going to get to see them live I may just have to. Going to wait until closer to the show though.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1230 on: July 27, 2016, 06:51:52 AM »
Not bad overall just sounds like a movie soundtrack or something that will be used for an election campaign which is a bit too contrived feeling at the moment. Definitely will be happy to hear the new album.

Well, a lot of the record might strike you that way, here's what Myles said about the lyrics of the album in an interview a couple days ago:
With this record in particular, there was a lot going on. It’s definitely a snapshot of a short window because the lyrics were put together as we were arranging the record during the first few months of this year. And there was a lot going on, watching the news, paying attention to campaigns and race relations, and just the environment around us. This record was definitely influenced more so than anything by the current state of affairs. So this record kind of tells a story about that. We’re certainly not pushing any sort of agenda or political views by any means, but we’re definitely diving into and taking the pulse of the world around us.

Source:
https://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/myles-kennedy-discusses-alter-bridges-new-album-and-stripped-down-solo-offerings

This doesn't really concern me though, Myles has tackled very specific issues lyrically before and always does a good job of keeping things broad enough to not alienate groups of people. He's not the type of guy or lyricist that's going to make big, crazy lyrical proclamations, his style is definitely more broad than that.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #1231 on: July 27, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
still getting goosebumps after five listens  :metal
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1232 on: July 29, 2016, 06:24:45 AM »
Finally heard the new song and of course I love it! Amazing tune and catchy as hell.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1233 on: August 01, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
According to Myles on Twitter, they are shooting a music video for Show Me A Leader, today.  I kinda hope Myles was joking on what the video is going to be about.....

Shooting #Showmealeader video today. I play the part of a guitar wielding elf being chased by wolves through a magical green screen forest:) #alterbridge

And yes, they will be using a green screen.  Two things that stands out to me regarding Napalm Record music videos.  Green screens with CGI effects and bands playing in the forest.  The end result should be intriguing to say the least.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1234 on: August 02, 2016, 06:52:18 AM »
Well at the very least, that's a beautiful PRS.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1235 on: August 31, 2016, 10:45:57 AM »
Well, them opening in amphitheaters tour is over.  I think it was a net positive for AB.  Playing in front of big crowds like 10k+ every night, trying to get them back into touring shape in front of big crowds when they do arenas in the UK.  Also, Myles sang The Sound of Silence with Disturbed during the last quarter of the tour and I thought it sound good.

Anywho, the music video for Show me A Leader is out.  Basically, it's the band playing in top of this building with a satellite behind them where on the opposing side of them is two people with megaphones as heads talking all sorts of nonsense like a political debate.  Here's the music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNer22c2PE
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:57:14 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1236 on: August 31, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »
Cool video, I actually really liked it. Probably one of the better AB music videos.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1237 on: September 06, 2016, 02:30:22 PM »
So Alter Bridge posted a teaser for "My Champion" on their Facebook... and goddamn does it sound awful. Reminds me of Nicklelback and one part especially reminds me of Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone." The lyrics are pretty damn cheesy too, which is a shame imo.

I'm not too surprised, because I think the band's gotten progressively weaker when it comes to writing 'positive' songs and are usually at their best these days when they accept that darker side of their music. It feels like they have to go out of their way to appeal to fans of One Day Remains, rather than just because they actually feel inspired to write a more upbeat song.

Now, granted, my opinion could change on the song if I hear the whole thing... but so far it just sounds pretty bad.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1238 on: September 06, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Just listened to that teaser and I honestly don't know what to say about that. Wow.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1239 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:51 AM »
Just listened to that teaser and I honestly don't know what to say about that. Wow.

Yeah. Ironically enough, Myles was just talking about the song in a new interview and mentioned how he slaved over the lyrics for the song. To be fair to him, the part he was talking about was the verse, which is pretty poetic compared to the chorus.

I'm not worried for the rest of the album, because all the general impressions from the Listening Party back in July unanimously were that the album is primarily heavier and more proggy like Fortress was. My Champion is just one of those few cheerier songs thrown in to lighten the tone and add more variety, I think.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1240 on: September 07, 2016, 06:49:56 AM »
I'm going to reserve judgement until I can (1) listen to the entire song and (2) listen to the song with proper quality.

My initial reaction is that chorus isn't good, especially for AB who, IMO, write consistently strong melodies especially on choruses. But, the lyrics for the verse are much better on paper, and AB can usually bring something interesting to the table in bridges of songs like this, so I'll wait and see.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1241 on: September 08, 2016, 07:19:27 AM »
I'm going to reserve judgement until I can (1) listen to the entire song and (2) listen to the song with proper quality.

My initial reaction is that chorus isn't good, especially for AB who, IMO, write consistently strong melodies especially on choruses. But, the lyrics for the verse are much better on paper, and AB can usually bring something interesting to the table in bridges of songs like this, so I'll wait and see.

The full song's out now... and in other news, I'm currently having crow for breakfast! :lol

I'm kinda stunned at how much I dig the song in its entirety, since I heard all of these different snippets of the song and very little of what I heard in any of the different samples for it sounded appealing to me.

The chorus is definitely cheesy lyrically, but it works okay in context of the verses, pre-chorus and bridge. The song on the whole sounds like a cross between Journey and AC/DC. Interesting combo and not something I'd expect from Alter Bridge, but it works fine. Again, I prefer the band when they're darker and more brooding, but the whole song is a lot better than I'd thought it was going to be.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1242 on: September 08, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
It's out?

*runs away to google*....

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1243 on: September 08, 2016, 07:26:45 AM »
It's out?

*runs away to google*....

Yup. They even posted a lyric video on their official YouTube channel for it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTTkNlvrYeQ
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1244 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:17 AM »
Yeah it's on Spotify too.

I really, really like this song. The verse are strong, carried by a great groove from Flip and Brian (great production on the kick drum and bass helps this). The pre-chorus and chorus work much better in context. Bridge is a nice switch, cool solo from Mark (a little different approach from him which is great to hear).

Love the little breaks with the guitar lick throughout.

Really cool song. These guys don't disappoint, I can't wait for this record to come out.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1245 on: September 08, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
Fuck me now that's a good lyric video, one of the best I've ever seen.

It's getting some backlash because it's Radio-Friendly but I think it's a great song. It's like the people have never heard songs like Open your Eyes, I Know it Hurts or Life Must Go On. Of course Open is the best song out of those ones but seriously it doesn't sound awful to me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:25:34 AM by LCArenas »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1246 on: September 08, 2016, 08:41:44 AM »
It's getting some backlash because it's Radio-Friendly but I think it's a great song.

Definitely radio-friendly, but from what I've heard about the album, it's probably going to be a radio-friendly song in the middle of a bunch of darker, heavier stuff. Plus, like you said, AB has always done accessible, positive uplifting songs. Heck Rise Today is arguably one of their most popular tunes and it's exactly that, accessible and uplifting. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1247 on: September 08, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
I absolutely hated the teaser, but I just listened to the track and found nothing wrong with it. Solid track, nice verses, cool guitar leads, a great solo. Just Alter Bridge as we know it, albeit in the style of One Day Remains.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: September 08, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
The song on the whole sounds like a cross between Journey and AC/DC. Interesting combo and not something I'd expect from Alter Bridge, but it works fine. Again, I prefer the band when they're darker and more brooding, but the whole song is a lot better than I'd thought it was going to be.
I know Mark is a huge AC/DC fan, so I'm sure that would explain any nods to them that you hear.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1249 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
The song on the whole sounds like a cross between Journey and AC/DC. Interesting combo and not something I'd expect from Alter Bridge, but it works fine. Again, I prefer the band when they're darker and more brooding, but the whole song is a lot better than I'd thought it was going to be.
I know Mark is a huge AC/DC fan, so I'm sure that would explain any nods to them that you hear.

Myles is a huge AC/DC fan, as well.  He sang a full show's worth of AC/DC songs during a Gov't Mule set.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1250 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »
Outside of the short intro section, I'm not hearing much AC/DC influence on this song TBH.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: September 08, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
Outside of the short intro section, I'm not hearing much AC/DC influence on this song TBH.
I completely agree.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1252 on: September 08, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »
Didn't really dig it. :(

Hoping I like the rest of the album more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: September 08, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
I think My Champion is fucking great.  Could come straight from One Day Remains.  Don't know why people would be disappointed with this.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1254 on: September 09, 2016, 06:36:38 AM »
I think My Champion is fucking great.  Could come straight from One Day Remains.  Don't know why people would be disappointed with this.

True. It has a strong ODR vibe, IMO. It's like a tune similar to the ODR stuff with production similar to Fortress (which is awesome).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1258 on: September 12, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
 :lol

Yeah for real. It sounds like AB could have taken a poop on a CD, handed it to this guy, and he would have raved about how it was better than Led Zepp IV and VH I combined.  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1259 on: September 12, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
Mostly it's just lacking depth. It's like he listened to the first 10 seconds of every song once and just memorized some of the riffs: "Next up is a great song with a killer riff, after that comes another heavy song with a pretty cool riff...". Geez, I could write reviews like this when I was 8 years old. A very positive review, but not convincing in the slightest.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.