Author Topic: Big Big Train v. Merchants Of Light (Live album 7/27), Swan Hunter (Single 7/13)  (Read 14517 times)

Offline The Letter M

I've been listening to BBT for the first time in MONTHS (probably since around January back when I was really active in this thread, perhaps that was the last time I really listened to them). I think I'm gearing up for the soon-to-be-released Singles and Live Album coming out in July.

Also, there was a new video released of "Swan Hunter" live at Cadogan Hall from last October in 2017. No word yet, as far as I know, if a live video will be released of the Cadogan shows (from which Merchants Of Light will source its audio tracks from), but at least we get this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKhuTR1e5Xw

-Marc.
ATTENTION - I am currently taking a hiatus from running any Survivors at the moment,
 but feel free to check out others' that are running in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!! Maybe in the coming months, I'll start up again with a different band if there is interest...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
So I'm listening to The Second Brightest Star for the first time, and wow, it's fantastic. The instrumentation is just really lush and pleasant to listen, and I've always loved David Longdon's voice and melodies. I don't know yet if I like it more than English Electric, but we'll see.
if the flow checks out and your rhymes are dope enough then the police start unholstering their guns

Offline The Letter M

So I'm listening to The Second Brightest Star for the first time, and wow, it's fantastic. The instrumentation is just really lush and pleasant to listen, and I've always loved David Longdon's voice and melodies. I don't know yet if I like it more than English Electric, but we'll see.

TSBS does have some great songs on it, but since I've listened to all of the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS songs in one huge playlist, I often forget which pieces were from which albums, since they're all sort of one giant meta-album anyway. It still blows my mind that those three albums, over 3 hours of music, were all released within 13-14 months of each other. It almost felt like overkill, but since the albums were chock full of quality stuff, I did not mind  at all. It's a rare blessing that a band this good can put out that much consistently good material in such a short time!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - I am currently taking a hiatus from running any Survivors at the moment,
 but feel free to check out others' that are running in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!! Maybe in the coming months, I'll start up again with a different band if there is interest...

Offline The Letter M

Wow, it's been over 3 weeks since the (my) last post in here... Anyway, tomorrow is the release date for BBT's newest live album, Merchants Of Light, which promises to be as exciting as their last one! Lots of great epic music, including some of my favorites like "Brave Captain", "A Mead Hall In Winter", "East Coast Racer", and "Victorian Brickwork".

I can't wait to spin it this weekend, hopefully my order from Burning Shed comes in today or tomorrow! Did anyone else pre-order this, either as the 2CD set or the gorgeous 3LP set (which I wish I could have afforded, but it's pretty pricey for my budget this summer)?

-Marc.

Online Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
Wow, it's been over 3 weeks since the (my) last post in here... Anyway, tomorrow is the release date for BBT's newest live album, Merchants Of Light, which promises to be as exciting as their last one! Lots of great epic music, including some of my favorites like "Brave Captain", "A Mead Hall In Winter", "East Coast Racer", and "Victorian Brickwork".

I can't wait to spin it this weekend, hopefully my order from Burning Shed comes in today or tomorrow! Did anyone else pre-order this, either as the 2CD set or the gorgeous 3LP set (which I wish I could have afforded, but it's pretty pricey for my budget this summer)?

-Marc.

Marccccc, of course I ordered it ;) I can't not buy the stuff this band releases...

By the way, I saw BBT at the Loreley and I have to say it's been one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Sound, performance, show, everything was perfect. I would have changed Kingmaker for (for example) Brooklands, but that's just my personal taste.

And my Merchants Of Light package JUST arrived with the mail!

Here are some pictures, please don't pay attention to me, I always look shite when standing next to musicians of this caliber.

https://ibb.co/gSVabK
https://ibb.co/ftMRiz
https://ibb.co/gYMRiz
https://ibb.co/j3CAAe
https://ibb.co/b6ukbK
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Rikard is one hell of a great guy! I talked to him on Saturday evening for quite a while.
Did you meet Nick from this forum?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Letter M

The band have posted pics of recording sessions fortheir next album, which they say will be released next May. One song will be titled "Brew & Burgh" according to sheet music for Tuba.

-Marc.

Online Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
The band have posted pics of recording sessions fortheir next album, which they say will be released next May. One song will be titled "Brew & Burgh" according to sheet music for Tuba.

-Marc.

I can't believe this is getting no response! I am super hyped for this, even more than for the new Neal Morse album. A fried of mine commented on their instagram post, asking if this album will be similarly folky like the last ones or if it will take another direction. The band replied it would feature LESS of a folk influence.

I absolutely loved (!) the last albums, but I would also like to hear something among the lines of The Underfall Yard again!

Talking about Underfall Yard, my friend and I asked the band if they'll ever release that album on vinyl. They replied, they'd probably do that for its 10th anniversary. So I guess that will be coming next year too ;) I just hope, they would release the Far Skies EP on vinyl too.
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema