Author Topic: DT's meaning of Surrounded....  (Read 10817 times)

Offline PC269

DT's meaning of Surrounded....
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »
Hey all:

I am new to the forums and as of late, something has been bugging me.

What is the meaning of the song "Surrounded" off of I&W? I have heard it's about AIDS or someone with AIDS but there is a lot of spiritual undertones in the lyrics and AIDs doesn't jump out to me. What gives?

Offline Dcrupi

Re: DT's meaning of Surrounded....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
I have heard it's about AIDS or someone with AIDS but there is a lot of spiritual undertones in the lyrics and AIDs doesn't jump out to me. What gives?

You may be thinking of Learning to Live...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
Hey all:

I am new to the forums and as of late, something has been bugging me.

What is the meaning of the song "Surrounded" off of I&W? I have heard it's about AIDS or someone with AIDS but there is a lot of spiritual undertones in the lyrics and AIDs doesn't jump out to me. What gives?
Welcome, have some bacon :godisgood:

As for the DT's meaning of Surrounded, I couldn't tell you.  I always hold the spiritual side of the song very dear to me, it has alwaays been a song that gives me strength and comfort.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
I always thought it was simply about what it feels like to be surrounded in bright lights.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
Here is a thread devoted to Surrounded that you may be interested in.  It's one of my favorite DT songs.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=9842.msg321575#msg321575

In that thread is this quote:

A very spiritually themed song, Surrounded was often dedicated to Arthur Ashe (the first major African-American tennis player) who died tragically of AIDS, and therefore may bear some relation to Learning To Live.

Source:  https://dt.spatang.com/song/surrounded

I think the consensus in the above DTF thread was that most people didn't see the link to AIDS.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »
"Surrounded" is a tough song to figure out.  But despite that, the lyrics are poetic and beautiful.  My interpretation is that it's about a man dealing with the death of a female loved one that keeps "dancing in his head" as he dreams each night.  The man literally looks forward to dreaming each night and says "nighttime falls to late," etc.  Finally, he has a moment of realization where the woman's spirit speaks to him and tells him to live -- stop hiding in the shadows and "let the light surround you."

I could be totally totally wrong, but that's how I see it.  If someone interprets it differently, feel free to share.  I'm not confident in my explanation at all.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
"Surrounded" is a tough song to figure out.  But despite that, the lyrics are poetic and beautiful.  My interpretation is that it's about a man dealing with the death of a female loved one that keeps "dancing in his head" as he dreams each night.  The man literally looks forward to dreaming each night and says "nighttime falls to late," etc.  Finally, he has a moment of realization where the woman's spirit speaks to him and tells him to live -- stop hiding in the shadows and "let the light surround you."

I could be totally totally wrong, but that's how I see it.  If someone interprets it differently, feel free to share.  I'm not confident in my explanation at all.

This is almost exactly the same as my interpretation. :smiley: The man is drifting through life since she died, dreaming about her and remembering their time together. He has a religious awakening when the girl speaks to him, realising there is more to life and embraces his new-found spirituality.   

I always overlook Surrounded because the other songs on the album are so amazing but it really is a beautiful song.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »
I posted my general interpretation here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=5529.msg165350#msg165350
Basically summarized as "Depressed man finds love and happiness".

Mebert's is also very interesting and keeps in the same spirit. But regardless of interpretation, I don't see the AIDs connection at all, and it doesn't make much sense. It sounds like something they just said for the show.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:02 PM »
It's about baby-eating robots.

Or robot-eating babies. I can't remember.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »
Surrounded is about flying around in the clouds on a red bi-plane being piloted by an orange squirrel. But beware of the flying turtle guns and jet birds.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
I spent about a minute trying to work out why that was familiar, before I realised it was the Sky Chase Zone.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
Surrounded is about flying around in the clouds on a red bi-plane being piloted by an orange squirrel. But beware of the flying turtle guns and jet birds.

that is what I remember reading in an interview some time ago

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »
I spent about a minute trying to work out why that was familiar, before I realised it was the Sky Chase Zone.

:lol
2 cred points to you, good sir.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PC269

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
These are great interpretations of the song. I checked out the thread and it had some great information on the subject.

I always felt that surrounded was about a man who is dealing with the loss of a woman close to him and continues dreaming about her and looking forward to dreaming about her and then he realizes that he is wasting his life doing this and he decides to finally make closure with the issue and remember all of the good times he had with the person he had lost and goes back to living his life to his fullest.

This could be incorrect, but frankly, this song is unreal. I&W is a wonderful album and Live in Japan is an AWESOME DVD, I love the spandex Portnoy has on.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »
It's kinda cool when you look back at WDADU through Train of Thought, DT's main concepts and album titles/themes had to do with the mind -- dreams, thoughts, awakening, memories, etc.  I'm not saying every song, but the studio album titles and themes.  They stopped at Octavarium.  I guess there's only so many album titles and such that you can do on that topic.  
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »

Love me some Sky Chase Zone!