Author Topic: Sacrificed Sons  (Read 6533 times)

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
Sacrificed Sons
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:50:40 AM »
So i was reading through the I+W/8VM song by song rank thread and i see alot of people don't have much love for this song. I think this song kicks ass. The way it builds up the whole way through the unleash the heavy riff after the solo which i think is one of the best heavy riff's DT have done, then the way it hits straight into the chorus then to the really cool outro. MP's drumming on this song i have to say is amazing, especially during the end. Also the score performance of this song is amazing, i prefer it to the studio version myself, it fits perfect with the orchestra. But what do you guys think?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacrificed Sons
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57:31 AM »
I love it. And I'm so glad that I got to see it live last year. I can't help but sing along to the chorus when it comes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:21:56 AM »
I think it's a great song. The vibe of the intro piano and vocals fits the lyrical matter perfectly, and the instrumental section is one of their most powerful. I remember when I first got the album, I'd listen to that outro repeatedly. That orchestra gives the song so much impact.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:23:53 AM »
The chord progression is so predictable and cliché. Even the instrumental section doesn't do anything for me, it lacks some originality. It's certainly not one of my favorites...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:35:22 AM »
The chord progression is so predictable and cliché. Even the instrumental section doesn't do anything for me, it lacks some originality. It's certainly not one of my favorites...

Which part of the chord progression? There's nothing predictable about it.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:41:23 AM »
Great song, my fourth favourite on the album; I'd rate it 9/10. The last four minutes are amazing, and JLB's vocal delivery is very good.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:56:17 AM »
The outro is excellent, very powerful and dramatic.
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:56:41 AM »
Great song, my fourth favourite on the album; I'd rate it 9/10. The last four minutes are amazing, and JLB's vocal delivery is very good.
This almost exactly (although I don't rate it a 9 - maybe an 8).  I was glad I got to see it performed at RCMH.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:07 AM »
The verses and chorus. So old and worn out...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
The verses and chorus. So old and worn out...

Have you got any examples of other previous songs that have worn out this apparently cliche pattern, or are you content just throwing around empty criticisms? I've heard the chorus pattern used before, but it's not at all done in a cliche way, and the verse pattern of I, VI, II, V isn't exactly run of the mill, especially with the way the chords overlap the bass note.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »
I'm not a drummer so this will be impossible to describe well, but I love towards the end how when the whole band is doing the main riff MP steps it up a notch and puts it into what sounds like 4/4, it really drives it even more. Not such a fan of the instrumental section though, which apparently makes me weird.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 05:45:19 AM »
I'm not a drummer so this will be impossible to describe well, but I love towards the end how when the whole band is doing the main riff MP steps it up a notch and puts it into what sounds like 4/4, it really drives it even more.

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE this.  You're right, the rest of the band is in 6/8, and then Portnoy switches to 4/4, sounds soooo awesome.  Also love the syncopation in JP's guitar in the vocal section immediately following, during "teach them what to think and feel."  Dream Theater are pretty good at that whole musicianship thing...

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:41:16 AM »
The last four minutes are amazing, and JLB's vocal delivery is very good.
"teach them what to think and feel."

:2metal:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 06:44:29 AM »
The last four minutes are amazing, and JLB's vocal delivery is very good.
"teach them what to think and feel."

:2metal:

That was exactly the line I was thinking about when I wrote that part.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:14:49 AM »
The guitar solo almost sounds like a plane screeching into a building. Fits the theme of the song well.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:18:33 AM »
It's one of my least favorites but the instrumental section and outro are pretty good.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 07:42:35 AM »
I love one riff and the chorus, but other than that it's pretty meh.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
Love it.  Great song.
I'm not a drummer so this will be impossible to describe well, but I love towards the end how when the whole band is doing the main riff MP steps it up a notch and puts it into what sounds like 4/4, it really drives it even more.

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE this.  You're right, the rest of the band is in 6/8, and then Portnoy switches to 4/4, sounds soooo awesome.  Also love the syncopation in JP's guitar in the vocal section immediately following, during "teach them what to think and feel."  Dream Theater are pretty good at that whole musicianship thing...

Yes!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
SS = Meh.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
I think it's a great song. The vibe of the intro piano and vocals fits the lyrical matter perfectly, and the instrumental section is one of their most powerful. I remember when I first got the album, I'd listen to that outro repeatedly. That orchestra gives the song so much impact.

Offline j

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »
It's got some cool instrumental stuff going on, but overall it's not great and the lyrics are not good either (I generally don't like lyrics of this nature).  It warrants a listen every once in awhile.

-J

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
My second fav. on the album.  The solo is so damn erie.  The chaos in the first half of the solo to the almost weeping emotional second half.  It brings so many emotions that I remember about 9/11.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:09:25 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
i think its a great song and my 2nd favorite on the ablum as well!  i'd give it a 9/10

Offline Mladen

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »
Have you got any examples of other previous songs that have worn out this apparently cliche pattern, or are you content just throwing around empty criticisms? I've heard the chorus pattern used before, but it's not at all done in a cliche way, and the verse pattern of I, VI, II, V isn't exactly run of the mill, especially with the way the chords overlap the bass note.
Sorry, pal, you can't expect me to name a bunch of songs with the exact same chord progression. I just say that pattern of I, VI, II, V in the verse feels like déjà vu, just because it sounds so simple, predictable and unoriginal. Which is too bad, because this is DT, one of the few bands that rarely lack originality in terms of patterns, chord progressions and stuff.

Offline inoku

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »
JP's guitar solo on this song wins..

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
Awesome song, one of my favorites off Octavarium. Saw them play it live with the 9-11 video clips and it made it 10 times better than it already was (which is awesome).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
Good song, just seems to drag on a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 02:40:28 PM »
For some strange reason I almost never listen to this song without listening to the whole album but I like whole song very much and 6:24-7:50 is absolute awesomeness

Offline briang

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »
The chord progression is common and predictable. However, I really like the layering that Petrucci and Rudess did on this song. It disguises the familiarity when combined with Labrie's vocal part. Having a familiar chord progression isn't necessarily bad, it just depends on how you utilize it in the song.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline LosferWords

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
Song is amazing in my opinion  :tup

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:56 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the vocal parts of the song, but the 4:11 onward instrumental is one of the sexiest, finest slices of dream theater's music in existence. I'll often put it on just to listen from that part onwards.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 01:30:34 PM »
certainly a lot of different views on this song, and yer i never realised the solo does kind of sound like a plane crashing, very clever one there JP :p