Author Topic: Who here loves Endless Sacrifice?  (Read 17881 times)

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
Re: Who here loves Endless Sacrifice?
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
I've always liked it, but I can see how some people might think it's a little too long.
I think this is the general reason why it's not so accepted. I think we can all admit that it has a badass chorus.

Ohhhhh yes.
I loves me some Endless Sacrifice.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
Am I the only one who really loves most of the song, but really hates the instrumental section? I barely listen to it due to the instrumental section, but  I think the rest of it's great.
:raises hand:

No that's me too. Great song, but the instrumental portion really kills it.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »
I wish the rest of the song was as great as the ending.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Loooove Endless Sacrifice. 2nd fav on ToT.
I actually really like the instrumental section. It's pretty routine, but the solos are really cool.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »
Great song, but the instrumental portion really kills it.

I feel the same way.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 05:48:30 AM »
One of the first songs I ever heard from Dream Theater.  So I have a serious soft spot for it.

Yes, I love it actually, although the instrumental section does a bit tiresome.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Endless Sacrifice is an awesome song. Hell, Train Of Thought is an awesome album.
Also, the drum break and then the whole breakdown is just an orgasm.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
Great song, but the instrumental portion really kills it.

I feel the same way.
So do I.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »
I don't mind the song's slow buildup to the instumental section that much but it does bore me just a little bit and I like the chorus as it is but it has always felt just a little forced on the "hey let's grab 'em by the balls w/ an unexpectedly heavy riff!" aspect of it. Other than that I really, really like the instrumental section. Very fun and adventurous and JP's sweep section at 7:34 is deliciously diabolical :godisgood:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
On a whim I decided to listen to Train Of Thought again, and Endless Sacrifice blew me away.

And yet all I can think of is a large portion of this forum disliking it, and so wondered if anyone here really likes it.

Personally, I think it's shot to second favourite after ITNOG.

You remove the five minute instrumental, and insert a more traditional guitar and keyboard solo (minute, max) that fits the song flow, and you have a GREAT tune. But the song is ruined by that instrumental section which is not really needed and distracts from the emotion in the song.

"Endless Sacrifice" is an example of where an outside ear could have made that song just phenomenal. I skip it now, because the ruining of the song with the instrumental just annoys me. But I would have loved it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline nemesiskoen

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »
Love the song. Made an accoustic cover of it today and I think it turned out ok. Skipped the instrumental section though :D

For those interested:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10634.0

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »
Am I the only one who really loves most of the song, but really hates the instrumental section?
No.  But I think the strongest part of the song is, basically, everything after the pause at the end of the solos, where MP has that little roll.

Also, I definitely find the song works better live than on CD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
I used to absolutely adore the song, until I heard the Michael Jackson song "Give in to Me".

I still like the song, but the feeling is gone.  And water can't cover my memory.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
Am I the only one who really loves most of the song, but really hates the instrumental section?
No.  But I think the strongest part of the song is, basically, everything after the pause at the end of the solos, where MP has that little roll.

Yeah, that part's pretty badass.  I think if edited to a radio single (as in taking out the instrumental section or make it more concise with some flow a la Metropolis), it would be a great song.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
I used to absolutely adore the song, until I heard the Michael Jackson song "Give in to Me".

I still like the song, but the feeling is gone.  And water can't cover my memory.
:rollin

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »
I like the song, but it definitely drags on too long. Would have been great if they structured it a little better and cut out the jam.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
Am I the only one who really loves most of the song, but really hates the instrumental section? I barely listen to it due to the instrumental section, but  I think the rest of it's great.
:raises hand:

No that's me too. Great song, but the instrumental portion really kills it.

Are you serious? For me the instrumental portion is what makes it. Seriously, it's just epic.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 09:31:28 AM »

Yeah, that part's pretty badass.  I think if edited to a radio single (as in taking out the instrumental section or make it more concise with some flow a la Metropolis), it would be a great song.

Agreed if you take out the instrumental section, leave in that MP roll, and just plug in an emotive shorter solo for the radio single. Would have been big (IMO).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline briang

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »
I personally love the instrumental section. Sometimes I surprise myself.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
I love Endless Sacrifice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
I'm with Samsara for the most part.  To me, it's a song that has a lot of incredible parts, but isn't put together well and just stumbles along in spite of itself and loses me every time.  DT are masters at fitting different elements of music together that you wouldn't normally think would work, whether it be time signatures, musical styles, or whatever.  Often, it works really well.  Sometimes, it does not.  To my ears, ES is one of the best examples in their catalog of a lot of really good things that sound really horrible together and drag the song down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »
i dont care what others say,

instrumental section ftw. i usually skip straight to the 5 minute mark

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
my Fav. off of train of thought. i think the instrumental fits the song nice. really love the groove of the song not to mention the lyrics. the instrumental section to me is the Feelin of desire to see your loved one it's a major part of the song
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TL

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
Most of the song is great, but as has been said, the instrumental section should have been shorter. At the very least, they should have left out the circus noises; those few seconds honestly ruin an otherwise enjoyable track.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
Most of the song is great, but as has been said, the instrumental section should have been shorter. At the very least, they should have left out the circus noises; those few seconds honestly ruin an otherwise enjoyable track.

Maybe they should do an 11 minute circus song with 5 seconds in the very middle where JP plays a metal riff that doesn't fit...

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:06 AM »
Maybe they should do an 11 minute circus song with 5 seconds in the very middle where JP plays a metal riff that doesn't fit...
:lol
I'd totally bitch about it too I bet. ;)

"WTF, I was just enjoying the carousel solo when this crap comes on? Totally ruins the entire song."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2010, 12:20:01 AM »

"WTF, I was just enjoying the carousel solo when this crap comes on? Totally ruins the entire song."
"How am I supposed to hear Jordan's new clown harmonica app over that frickin' misplaced riff?  Geez JP - do a solo album for god sakes.  This here record is for circus folk only!!!"

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
JP just doesn't know how to interject. He should leave the band. The song is upbeat, flashy, has the carnival atmosphere. Then, boom, at 10:31, JP plays those heavy palm muted chords. Listen, I understand they're trying to be creative, but keep that shit out of the real music. :tdwn

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »

"How am I supposed to hear Jordan's new clown harmonica app over that frickin' misplaced riff?  Geez JP - do a solo album for god sakes.  This here record is for circus folk only!!!"

JP just doesn't know how to interject. He should leave the band. The song is upbeat, flashy, has the carnival atmosphere. Then, boom, at 10:31, JP plays those heavy palm muted chords. Listen, I understand they're trying to be creative, but keep that shit out of the real music. :tdwn

I am really in love with DT's new carnival-oriented sound.  The new website is a bit strange, but cool.  Maybe these changes are what is precipitating the "hiatus."  Perhaps they're finally ditching JP for all his guitar tomfoolery!  LET THE CIRCUS REIGN!!!

https://www.dreamcircus.com

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »
That song is ballin'. :hat
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
LET THE CIRCUS REIGNNNNNNNN

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:53 AM »
That song is ballin'. :hat

That song is clownin'

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010, 06:58:31 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is an amazing song. Train of Thought is an amazing album.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:57 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is an amazing song. Train of Thought is an amazing album.

^^You said it  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline COB55

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »
Does anyone else love the riff at 5:43? I know it sounds really out of place from the bit before it, but it's awesome how it takes you by surprise. It is just an incredibly sinister riff and the combination with the organ makes it even better.