Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen Thread  (Read 14490 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bruce Springsteen Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
The vast improvement on the song that is the live version.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
Ah.  Your enjoyment of the studio version has been ruined because the live version is so much better.  I guess I've never had that issue with songs.  The studio version is the studio version; any number of live renditions can exist, can even be better, but the studio version still came first.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »
Rosalita is one of the very few songs that makes me want to get up and start moving my limbs. Some may call it dancing but I wouldn't go that far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
I don't think I had ever all of Born in the U.S.A. from start to finish.  Until last week.  Pretty solid.  I can see why all of the hits were catchy enough to have been popular ("Dancing in the Dark" and "Glory Days" have always been favorites that are always on my 80s playlists), and of the non-hits, "No Surrender" was the one that struck me the most; that song is pretty sweet. :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »
How did you like Darkness?  More importantly, did you get Born to Run?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
Just got the new Darkness on the Edge of Town box set for $55. I was surprised I was able to pull it off, but got my local Best Buy to price-match an online 50% off coupon from my Borders Rewards program. The coupon had the box set as one of the examples of the savings, along with the final price after applying said coupon. Had to argue just a little bit to get it, but the store manager relented pretty quickly.

At the $119.99 Best Buy was asking (or the $109.99 regular price Borders had it for), the set was ridiculously overpriced and money I was not going to spend. For $55 (and with my gift cards received for Christmas, nothing out of pocket!), it was well worth it...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:03 PM »
Gah!  Almost forgot, has anyone checked out The Promise?  If so, how is it?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »
Gah!  Almost forgot, has anyone checked out The Promise?  If so, how is it?

Finally got around to giving it a first listen today. Very interesting. Need to give it a few more spins before rattling off an opinion about it, but suffice to say that Darkness could have ended up a very different album given all this stuff that was recorded at the time...

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »
I don't think I had ever all of Born in the U.S.A. from start to finish.  Until last week.  Pretty solid.  I can see why all of the hits were catchy enough to have been popular ("Dancing in the Dark" and "Glory Days" have always been favorites that are always on my 80s playlists), and of the non-hits, "No Surrender" was the one that struck me the most; that song is pretty sweet. :hat

The song that always stood out from Born in the USA was "My Hometown." That is definitely one of my favorite Boss tunes. I wish they did this album when I saw the second leg of the 2009 tour in DC instead of Born to Run...

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:52 AM »

When I saw him live in 2009 he opened the show with No Surrender. Pretty unexpected choice, I thought he would open with Badlands or Thunder Road. It was awesome nonetheless :hat

Regarding The Promise, I've listened to it from time to time since its release. It has a few great tunes (Ain't Good Enough For You, Save My Love, Gotta Get That Feeling, Talk To Me) and some nice ones. I've heard Fire and Because The Night before, but the studio versions aren't as good as the live ones that's been previously released.

I've seen the accompanying documentary too, and it's interesting to see the studio footage. He really was a perfectionist back then, and I wouldn't have the willpower and discipline to hold back some of the songs he chose to not release. Some ended up on The River (1980), some on the Tracks box set (1998), while a lot have never seen the light of day. I hope we get another Tracks set or something similar, he was so productive in those years (1975-1983).

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:31 AM »
Meeting Across The River might well be the most underrated song of all time, it's probably my second or third favourite on Born To Run, even above Jungleland  :o

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »
Meeting Across the River is indeed excellent.

I saw on setlist.fm that he opened one show in 2009 here with "Working on the Highway."  Now THAT was an unexpected choice.  He opened with "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" at my show, which makes a thousand times more sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
How did you like Darkness?  

I like it quite a bit.  From memory, I remember "Badlands," "Candy's Room," "The Promised Land," "Factory" and "Prove It All Night" as being the songs that stood out the most.

More importantly, did you get Born to Run?

Just did.  Rock solid record, for sure. :tup :tup

The song that always stood out from Born in the USA was "My Hometown." That is definitely one of my favorite Boss tunes. I wish they did this album when I saw the second leg of the 2009 tour in DC instead of Born to Run...

That was always a song I thought was okay, but never did a lot for me. *shrugs*

I don't think I had ever all of Born in the U.S.A. from start to finish.  Until last week.  Pretty solid.  I can see why all of the hits were catchy enough to have been popular ("Dancing in the Dark" and "Glory Days" have always been favorites that are always on my 80s playlists), and of the non-hits, "No Surrender" was the one that struck me the most; that song is pretty sweet. :hat

When I saw him live in 2009 he opened the show with No Surrender. Pretty unexpected choice, I thought he would open with Badlands or Thunder Road. It was awesome nonetheless :hat

Sweet. :hat

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
Meeting Across The River might well be the most underrated song of all time, it's probably my second or third favourite on Born To Run, even above Jungleland  :o
*agreeing big time*
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline jag66

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
No Surrender, probably my favourite on Born in the Usa. Darkness on the edge of town is the best ov them,

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
My City Of Ruins is a brilliant, brilliant song also.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
Alright. Listen up anyone who cares enough to give me five minutes of their time. Which won't be many.

There is a disconcerting trend brewing amongst the forum where it has become acceptable for members to go into threads that don't apply to them, post posts they have no business posting then cry victim when they get called out.

What I mean is, if you're going to go into what is essentially a Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread when you don't like Bruce Springsteen then go on a blatant bait-trip by saying, "Bruce Springsteen is music to torture prisoners with", then be prepared to face the fucking consequences.

Furthermore, after you get called out, don't hide behind, "Opinions are like assholes! Everyone has one!" And if someone attacks you personally, don't hide behind, "I didn't do that to you man! And it's against the rules too!"

Bottom line is you went baiting - you made a strong, derogatory statement that called more negative attention to itself than one of Tiger Woods' tramps. If someone calls out your post for being ignorant, tough shit. Don't pretend to be the victim. You came looking for shit, now grow some balls and deal with the shitstorm.

Wow. Remind me not to piss you off, Outlaw.  :laugh: Pretty cool outburst, though.
I have to say that I really don't like his voice or his songs, but anyone who can sell 120,000,000 albums worldwide is definitely better than I am and has my respect. So, not a fan, but I'll appreciate.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
That was indeed a great rant, and I agree with it 100%.  It doesn't have to say "appreciation thread" for people to understand that it's an appreciation thread, and if you dish out some shit, you should be man enough to take it.

Note that this is different from someone asking "Hey, what do you think of <band or artist>?"  Someone is asking for opinions, maybe because they're interested in checking them out or something, so I would say that positive or negative opinions are valid responses.

In general, I think pretty much any opinion is fine as long as you can back it up (don't just say they suck, say why) but there's still such thing as not crapping on someone's thread.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
To me, Bruce Springsteen is music to torture prisoners with.

GTFO and take your fail with you.

I discovered Springsteen, along with classic rock, in middle school.  My dad gave me "Born to Run" and the live 75-85 box set.  "Thunder Road" is, without a doubt, the single greatest song in rock history.  If aliens came to Earth and demanded to know what rock music was all about, that song would be it (pray they don't want the ultimate cup of coffee).  There have been two life-changing concerts for me, seeing Rush back in '07, and finally seeing Springsteen in September last year, where Thunder Road closed out the show.  What a great musician and showman, and I haven't even started singing the praises of the E Street Band.

I feel the same way man, except about the song "Born to Run".  Probably the best song ever written IMO.  When I watched the documentary they did on the making of the album, it really increases my appreciation of everything.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »
Big bump. I saw Moon Safari last night, and they did a part of a Springsteen song, and I need help figuring out what it was...It was in the key of D, and it started out all piano, and the I thought the lyrics said something about some team having a big win...Help? And he might be singing about New York...

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
Hmmm all I can think of is Jungleland. It starts with a piano (although it's in the key of C) and he sings 'The Rangers had a homecoming in Harlem late last night'.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
I think that was it. It's hard to tell since I didn't know the song at all, but I do think I remember something about a barefoot girl and warm beer, too. Thanks!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
Then it's definitely Jungleland (Barefoot girl sitting on the hood of a Dodge, drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain).

Enjoy it, it's a Top 10 song for me!

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »
They used it as a segue to their New York City Summergirl, and it worked very well. They didn't do it the same as Bruce, though. Bruce's version had more of that growly talking, whereas MS actually sang it and belted it out. It was awesome.  Hopefully someone caught it and will post it on Youtube.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
Back in the day I was a massive Bruce fan.
I think I lost him when he dumped the E Street Band, not quite sure, but I haven't really bothered with him for many years now.

Around 2 months ago a book 'Springsteen album by album' caught my eye in a store and I asked my girlfriend to buy it for me for Christmas.
So I read the book and it got me hooked on Bruce again.
I bought a bunch of CD's and one thing really struck me.
His studio stuff is great but really comes across as a little flat, it's his live stuff that really get's me excited.

The live show I saw on the Born In The USA tour in Sydney 1985 is still the best live show I have ever seen, I also saw in him 1997 as a solo act which was also amazing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
I played a Springsteen song the other day.  Actually, it was at a New Year's Eve party; some of you have seen the (many) pictures I posted.  Kevin, the guy on acoustic guitar, started playing/singing "Dancing in the Dark", and we all kinda joined in.  I don't really like the song, but it sounded pretty empty without that synth line, so I started playing it.  But when it came time for the sax solo, that seemed more important, so I took the sax solo, and that's where a lot of the pictures were from.

I'd never played a Springsteen song before.  I'd love to do "Jungleland" sometime, for obvious reasons, but someone else would have to play the piano, and usually I'm the only keyboard player in the band.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
It was actually that song that made me a Bruce fan, and for many years I kind of though of it as a throw away pop song.
Over the years Bruce has made this song into a lot more, live the synth has been replaced by a magnificent horn section that sounds quite majestic.
Even when he plays it solo acoustic, it sounds like a different song, yet still powerful.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
The rockin' out version of The Ghost Of Tom Joad is fucking awesome.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »
" Human Touch " is one of my favourite songs ever.

I also love : Souls Of The Departed, Easy Money, Shackled & Drawn, The Rising.

Not really that familiar.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
Jungleland is killer, but my favorite Springsteen song has always been Racing in the Streets. There's a certain, important memory of mine that's directly connected to that song, so I have this weird connection to it that I don't have with many other songs, even outside of Springsteen.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
Racing is also one of my faves, and it's a song that brings back so many great memories of the summers I had when I was a kid.

But I think that Atlantic City is my all time fave Bruce song, whether it be the acoustic or full band version.
Much to my delight, I just discovered a piano version of YT from his 2005 tour that is also killer.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Springsteen, but Youngstown is one of my favorite songs by anyone.

Maybe I should check out his music a little more... apart from TGOTJ I really don't know much other than his hits.  I've heard Glory Days enough to not have to hear it again  :lol
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2015, 01:18:33 AM »
Yeah Youngstown is a killer tune, whether it's played by the E Streeters or solo by Bruce.

There are some 30 live shows from the 2014 tour available on Bruce's official site, with some 126 different songs.
Hard to pick out which to get, I'm tempted to get them all  :biggrin: