Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen Thread  (Read 14470 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bruce Springsteen Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 02:02:08 PM »
"Radio Nowhere" is a pretty rockin' song.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
"Radio Nowhere" is a pretty rockin' song.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
I used to really, really like Bruce.  I have no problem with people praising his early stuff like "Born to Run" or the box set.  I have both, and they kick ass.

But at some point, those poignant, introspective songs with great soul and cool changes gave way to songs where the entire band literally plays one riff all the way through.  "Glory Days", "Born in the U.S.A.", "Dancing in the Dark" and others.  The intro starts, the verse is the same, the chorus is the same, the next verse, the next chorus, repeat, repeat, then just for grins, repeat it a couple dozen more times for an outro.  And I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not.  Several songs with literally one riff for the entire song.  How can the band not commit suicide on stage out of boredom?

This is from the same guy who wrote "Jungleland"?  Man, when the change comes and CC hits that saxophone note (you know the one) I still get chills every time.  What an awesome break!  And now, it's literally one lick for five minutes.

It's the Sampson Syndrome all over again.  He cut his hair, and lost his power.

Have a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »
Have a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright...

I cannot gush about this song enough.

And I kinda agree with you, Orbert about the later stuff.  "Outlaw Pete" still does a good job of being varied enough like the older stuff, though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
I have to admit that I haven't properly checked out his recent stuff.  The ones that get played on the radio just don't inspire me to dig any deeper.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
Bump after I had an urge to listen to Born to Run a bunch last week.

So my dad brought down his old turntable, amp, and speakers, along with most of his old Springsteen records (Born to Run is hanging on the wall of my room back in Raleigh).  Gave Nebraska a listen yesterday and I'm almost finished with the first side of the River.  They still sound incredible, and solidify my love of the Boss.  "The Ties That Bind" and "Independence Day" are great.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »
Sounds great :tup

I'm looking forward to the box set he's releasing in November - a reissue of Darkness On The Edge Of Town (1978), along with the documentary The Promise.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jag66

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
Sounds great :tup

I'm looking forward to the box set he's releasing in November - a reissue of Darkness On The Edge Of Town (1978), along with the documentary The Promise.

just listened to that album, great record!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »

So my dad brought down his old turntable, amp, and speakers, along with most of his old Springsteen records (Born to Run is hanging on the wall of my room back in Raleigh).  Gave Nebraska a listen yesterday and I'm almost finished with the first side of the River.  They still sound incredible, and solidify my love of the Boss.  "The Ties That Bind" and "Independence Day" are great.

Me and my mum did this over summer, the production on his stuff is surprisingly amazing, specifically on the live albums, weirdly.

The River live is the saddest and most awesome thing ever.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

Me and my mum did this over summer, the production on his stuff is surprisingly amazing, specifically on the live albums, weirdly.

The River live is the saddest and most awesome thing ever.

The river is probably the only song that makes me so goddamn sad
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I am in the process of buying and downloading Darkness on the Edge of Town right now.  It seems pretty highly-regarded, and I remember seeing a live performance of "The Promised Land" like ten years ago on VH1 that was pretty awesome, so I figured I would give it a shot. :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 12:29:48 AM »
Thanks to this thread, I am in the process of buying and downloading Darkness on the Edge of Town right now.  It seems pretty highly-regarded, and I remember seeing a live performance of "The Promised Land" like ten years ago on VH1 that was pretty awesome, so I figured I would give it a shot. :)

It surely is a great album. It's a little bleak in its lyrics (compared to the sprawling Born To Run before it), he was going through a drawn out lawsuit while making the album, and that frustration can be heard in the lyrics. Highlights for me are Badlands, Candy's Room, The Promised Land, and the title track.

Offline jag66

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 02:04:52 AM »

It surely is a great album. It's a little bleak in its lyrics (compared to the sprawling Born To Run before it), he was going through a drawn out lawsuit while making the album, and that frustration can be heard in the lyrics. Highlights for me are Badlands, Candy's Room, The Promised Land, and the title track.

& racing in the street  :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
Kev: you shouldn't be disappointed with Darkness if you like good music.  If you like angelic music though, you'll go buy Born to Run.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »
I have Born to Run on vinyl, and actually have a working turntable hooked up to my stereo, but I need to get it onto my iPod.  All my "proper" listening is done in the car.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
If I like good music?  Hmmm, I think I do... :biggrin:

And actually, I already have half of the Born to Run songs on mp3; a friend gave them to me years ago, but they are crappy quality, so I am gonna have to fix that, if for no other reason to have a good-sounding version of "Jungleland."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »
Jungleland is amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 10:32:01 AM »
Despite the fact that I don't care for 3 songs of BTR's 8 (10th Avenue Freeze-out, Night and She's The One) too much, it really is one of the greatest albums of all time. Meeting Across The River is also the most underrated song of all time IMO.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »
Jungleland is amazing.

It most definitely is. I'm forever thankful I got to hear it live.

Offline jag66

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »
The boss is pretty huge in america isn't he? he's not as known in the UK but well respected by those who do  :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
Yeah, he's definitely an American icon, and his whole image screams "American!"  I mean, he had a huge hit called "Born in the U.S.A." and literally from day one has presented himself as a working-class dude from New Jersey.

I've always found it interesting how some British bands have no problem crossing over to the States while many are still completely unknown, and how the reverse also happens.  But in general, it seems to me that American bands would have more trouble crossing the pond than British, though I'm not sure why that is.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
Because, at least in Springsteen's case, the British have never seen anything as horrible as New Jersey.  There's no way they could relate to Bruce's songs while never even hearing about such a legendarily foul place.  It would, for them, require a suspension of disbelief they couldn't handle unless they actually saw New Jersey for themselves. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
Yeah, he's definitely an American icon, and his whole image screams "American!"  I mean, he had a huge hit called "Born in the U.S.A." and literally from day one has presented himself as a working-class dude from New Jersey.

Which makes it rather ironic that the Springsteen "sound" is predicated on a song by this Irish 'working-class' rock icon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rytGCB3objk&feature=PlayList&p=6FD7CE59AC66ACBD&playnext=1&index=49

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »
Because, at least in Springsteen's case, the British have never seen anything as horrible as New Jersey.  There's no way they could relate to Bruce's songs while never even hearing about such a legendarily foul place.  It would, for them, require a suspension of disbelief they couldn't handle unless they actually saw New Jersey for themselves.  

Something like that.  Or maybe it's because a lot of Americans think Brits are cool or at the very least more interesting than us, while most Brits don't give a shit about us and the ones who do think we're boring and crass.  I'm not saying that that's wrong.

Offline jag66

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
Because, at least in Springsteen's case, the British have never seen anything as horrible as New Jersey.  There's no way they could relate to Bruce's songs while never even hearing about such a legendarily foul place.  It would, for them, require a suspension of disbelief they couldn't handle unless they actually saw New Jersey for themselves.  

Something like that.  Or maybe it's because a lot of Americans think Brits are cool or at the very least more interesting than us, while most Brits don't give a shit about us and the ones who do think we're boring and crass.  I'm not saying that that's wrong.

And large... only kidding (although I guess that is the stereotype).

Looking at my itunes, surprising how few american acts on there.. its pretty crazy how many of biggest bands have been british (from beatles/stones in 60s, zep/floyd in 70s, smiths/cure in 80s, radiohead in 90s.. and PT of course :D)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »

Which makes it rather ironic that the Springsteen "sound" is predicated on a song by this Irish 'working-class' rock icon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rytGCB3objk&feature=PlayList&p=6FD7CE59AC66ACBD&playnext=1&index=49

You know it, brother! One of my favoprite songs of all time. Definitely in the TAC Top 20!
Good call :tup

This song had always reminded me of Bon Jovi's Blood On Blood. I had never made the Springsteen collection because..umm..I've never paid that much attention to him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »
Bon Jovi is another New Jersey dude, isn't he?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »
Bon Jovi is another New Jersey dude, isn't he?

Yup, another New Jersey-ian.  But he doesn't quite wear it on his sleeve the way The Boss does.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
Oh, I don't know.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »
Okay, mr. smarty-pants   :yeahright
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
Hee hee.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »
Bruce cover band the B street band will give a free concert at the championship plaza before the Devils home opener, now that's how you start a season!
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
OMG "Rosalita" is such a good song AHHHHHH...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
You'd better be listening to the live version.  The studio version is almost completely ruined by it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
Ruined by what?