Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen Thread  (Read 14478 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Bruce Springsteen Thread
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:56:01 AM »
I'm amazed there isn't one already! To get things started, I'm gonna throw out The River, Thunder Road and Born to Run as three of my top fifty songs of all time, and Born to Run as a top 20 album.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Bruce Springsteen Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:04:33 AM »
Your amazed there isn't a Bruce Springsteen thread on a progressive rock bands message board? I'm amazed that that amazes you.
To me, Bruce Springsteen is music to torture prisoners with.
but if you dig it, enjoy.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:05:43 AM »
the boss prevails.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
He's one of my absolute favourite artists. Born To Run is in my Top 10 albums of all time, and the title track (and Jungleland from the same album) is on my Top 20 list of favourite songs. I got the opportunity to see him last year in Stockholm, on his last evening here. I got to hear both those songs live, which I'm forever grateful for - he didn't play Jungleland on the first two nights so I wasn't sure if he'd play it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »

GTFO and take your fail with you.

I discovered Springsteen, along with classic rock, in middle school.  My dad gave me "Born to Run" and the live 75-85 box set.  "Thunder Road" is, without a doubt, the single greatest song in rock history.  If aliens came to Earth and demanded to know what rock music was all about, that song would be it (pray they don't want the ultimate cup of coffee).  There have been two life-changing concerts for me, seeing Rush back in '07, and finally seeing Springsteen in September last year, where Thunder Road closed out the show.  What a great musician and showman, and I haven't even started singing the praises of the E Street Band.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »
I'm amazed there isn't one already!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=5892.0

There may be others, but I'm not looking for them right now.

At any rate, The Boss can do no wrong in my eyes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
It's a bit weird that you were surprised to find springsteen on a prog forum.

but i have to confess that i like his music.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »

GTFO and take your fail with you.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Your amazed there isn't a Bruce Springsteen thread on a progressive rock bands message board? I'm amazed that that amazes you.
If you're going to bash one of the most heralded, influential, respected artists of all time, at least make sure you do it in a manner that doesn't make you seem ignorant and functionally illiterate.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
If you're going to bash one of the most heralded, influential, respected artists of all time, at least make sure you do it in a manner that doesn't make you seem ignorant and functionally illiterate.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
I have heard many on this board rip the shit out of The Beatles, and to me, that is pure heresy. I hate Bruce and I made one crack. I didn't insult anyone personally like your doing to me right now.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »
Alright. Listen up anyone who cares enough to give me five minutes of their time. Which won't be many.

There is a disconcerting trend brewing amongst the forum where it has become acceptable for members to go into threads that don't apply to them, post posts they have no business posting then cry victim when they get called out.

What I mean is, if you're going to go into what is essentially a Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread when you don't like Bruce Springsteen then go on a blatant bait-trip by saying, "Bruce Springsteen is music to torture prisoners with", then be prepared to face the fucking consequences.

Furthermore, after you get called out, don't hide behind, "Opinions are like assholes! Everyone has one!" And if someone attacks you personally, don't hide behind, "I didn't do that to you man! And it's against the rules too!"

Bottom line is you went baiting - you made a strong, derogatory statement that called more negative attention to itself than one of Tiger Woods' tramps. If someone calls out your post for being ignorant, tough shit. Don't pretend to be the victim. You came looking for shit, now grow some balls and deal with the shitstorm.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:03:42 PM »
I'd like to add that following the aforementioned baiting statement with "But if you dig it, enjoy," doesn't really help you much.   You don't get a little get-out-of-jail free card for adding a little peacekeeping sentence at the end.  C'mon Tick, you're an old fogey, right?  Haven't you learned not to pick fights?  Imagine I went into the Megadeth thread, said that Mustaine and Osama bin Laden are butt buddies because they delight in bringing pain and suffering to the world, but then added "but hey its your personal tastes and thats cool," you've just made a point of insulting everyone in that thread just by associating them with that grotesque image.  Its condescending and not cool at all.  If you said something more like "I don't like his voice," or "I don't like his 80s output" or giving other specific reasons as to why you don't like him, then maybe we'd be a bit more understanding, unlike now, where you just hurled insults like feces.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
 My apologies for insulting Bruce in his appreciation thread. I could have ignored it entirely. I hope that is enough for both of you. I don't want to ruin the thread anymore then it has been. :tick2:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
I am here to say that although I am not a huge fan and I do not know most of his songs other than the hits, I have to say, he is the best showmen ever. Period. He gives his balls every show for every crowd and makes every show unique. I have seen him 3 times, each better than the last.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
TOX: Thank you! It needed to be said, not only for this thread but for all appreciation threads :tup

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
I am here to say that although I am not a huge fan and I do not know most of his songs other than the hits, I have to say, he is the best showmen ever. Period. He gives his balls every show for every crowd and makes every show unique. I have seen him 3 times, each better than the last.

Exactly this for me too. I havent even listened to a whole studio albom from him, all I know is the hits but he absolutely blows me away live. In fact, he is the only artist that I prefer listening to live than studio (I own 2 live CD releases and a live DVD, no studio albums).

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:02 AM »
INCREDIBLY ANNOYINGLY when I saw him live I was about 10 so I didn't appreciate him as much as I would now, but more annoyingly my mum fainted about halfway through the concert so we spent the second half missing out as we hoped she wasn't seriously ill. I suppose Bruce was just too much for her that night.  :D

Offline jag66

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 03:53:35 AM »
Didnt know much of his stuff until he played glastonbury so I checked more out.

Darkness on the edge of town is my favourite album followed by born to run (both classics). The Promised Land is probably my favourite song at the moment  :tup

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
Once in a while I pop in his Live: 1975-1985 compilation and enjoy it.  There's some great musical moments there.

But if I hear "Hungry Heart," "Born to Run," "Born in the USA" and "Glory Days" on the radio one more time, I will spit.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
Once in a while I pop in his Live: 1975-1985 compilation and enjoy it.  There's some great musical moments there.

But if I hear "Hungry Heart," "Born to Run," "Born in the USA" and "Glory Days" on the radio one more time, I will spit.
Do what I do: stop listening to the radio.  That way, you don't turn a cold shoulder to great music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

When "Born to Run" or "Glory Days" come on the radio, thats a time to rejoice, not spit.  The others I could see how they'd get tiresome after a bit, though "Hungry Heart" was fun live.  I was never THAT big on BITUSA.  "Dancing In the Dark" is my favorite from that album.

TL;DNR you should ignore this post and read Hefdaddy's. 

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

Do what I do: stop listening to the radio.  That way, you don't turn a cold shoulder to great music.

Ain't that the truth.  I'm so glad that the radio in my car doesn't work anymore.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline jag66

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »
they rarely play the boss on the radio in the uk, so when i was in america i was loving it when they were playing dancing in the dark all the time!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
Just really sat down and listened to Born in the USA for the first time. I knew the songs but I never really sat down and just took it all in.

This album can not be described in words. It is that great. From the hits to the not so known ones (Working on the Highway, Downbound Train, Cover Me, I'm on Fire, Darlington County,) and everything in between, it is a near perfect album and I only wish that people could still write like this. Thank you Bruce Springsteen for making an album that will stand the test of time and will provide a lifetime of listen and fun.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »
Still haven't listened to Born In The USA, but I have Born To Run and Nebraska and love them both.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 12:02:05 AM »
I am the super minority here, but I think Nebraska is better than Born to Run. I need to give Born to Run a real listen like I just did Born in the USA and Nebraska a few days ago.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 01:33:30 AM »
I am still not quite as a big fan of Born In The USA as many others are. Sure the hits are great, but the other songs I'm not too fond of (aside from I'm On Fire).

I've been on a Tracks (the box) binge lately, he sure had some awesome songs left off the original albums. There are many gems on that box that needs to be appreciated. Especially the songs from 1979, he could easily have made The River into a 4 LP album! Talk about a creative streak.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 03:02:12 AM »
I used to not like born In the USA but it grew on me.
nowadays I really like it.
Songs like Working on the highway, dancing in the dark, my hometown, glory days and of course Born In the USA are all great songs
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 06:38:54 AM »
I am the super minority here, but I think Nebraska is better than Born to Run. I need to give Born to Run a real listen like I just did Born in the USA and Nebraska a few days ago.
Yes you do.  Born to Run is an example of the perfect album.

Born in the U.S.A. is all right.  Maybe its because I've heard too many of the hits too many times, but "Dancing in the Dark," "Working on the Highway," and "I'm on Fire" are still great.  Definitely below Darkness and Born to Run.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »
To this day he remains one of the best live acts around. His last two studio efforts (not counting the Seger stuff) really didn't resonate with me (last solid studio album was The Rising) but live, he still brings it. I got to see him twice on the last tour, including a full performance of the Born to Run album and it was worth every penny that I didn't have to spend on that show. I can't think of any artist who in the span of a leg of a tour featured at different shows 6 different complete albums the way Bruce did to close out 2009 (Greetings... through BitUSA, not including Nebraska). I wish I was at MSG to hear The River in its entirety.

Offline jag66

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
wasnt a huge fan of the last album, but thought "magic" was really solid.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »
wasnt a huge fan of the last album, but thought "magic" was really solid.

I agree. Working On A Dream didn't really do much for me, but Magic was great.