Author Topic: A7X enters studio with Mike Portnoy  (Read 18322 times)

Offline LosferWords

A7X enters studio with Mike Portnoy
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »
I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that’s what Jim would have wanted. Its comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities. Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are fucking excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy.
-Avenged Sevenfold

:tup  I personally am pumped.  Not only is A7X going back into the studio to finish their album, but it's with another amazing drummer.  The Rev can't be replaced, but definitely think that Mike is the best choice.  Also cool to see Mike is Jimmy's favorite drummer.

***EDIT:
Damn, just saw someone posted it in the "MP in the studio thread" on page 3.  Mods can delete this.  My bad.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: A7X enters studio with Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
I think it's worthy of it's own thread, so people can see it. That being said, I'm really excited. Mike is such an extraordinary guy for doing something awesome like this.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
I never really been a fan of A7X but i think ill take a listen when the new album comes out.  Its cool of Mike doing this.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:51:04 PM »
I think it's worthy of it's own thread, so people can see it. That being said, I'm really excited. Mike is such an extraordinary guy for doing something awesome like this.
Nah, just amend the title of the other thread.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »
Even though I honestly think A7X sucks a lot (Their first album was good, the second was decent, the rest... :facepalm:), I also think The Rev was a really good drummer whose talent wasn't used much in the last A7X album, and I felt kinda sad when I found out he died because (to me) he was the most talented guy in the band. It's a really good and noble thing that Mike does this as a homage to The Rev.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »
So this was the news? At least now we know!
Not something I'm at all interested in, but it's good news for the band and for Portnoy to be involved.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:32:45 PM »
Even though I'm not into A7X I'm really stoked to hear this. I think it's an amazing gesture on Mike's part and I feel extremely happy for the surviving members of A7X that this kind of catharsis has been able to happen. Hopefully this will greatly help the healing process.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »
I've never heard A7X, but I like what this shows us about MP, the person.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »
Holy shit! Mike Portnoy's recording the new album with Avenged Sevenfold?!

That's fantastic.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
 :rollin YAAAAAAAAAY

MY FAVORITE DRUMMER AND MY FAVORITE BAND IM CUMMING HARDCORE

Offline silver_linings

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
I only listen two songs from A7X, when they cover the iron maiden and pantera song . and I never listen to another song or earlier. but when I read this news about the MP helped A7X, I'm interested and can not wait to listen him (A7X album)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:19:55 AM by silver_linings »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »

Looks good to me.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
Wow, many props to MP.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:44 PM »
Holy shit!

Holy shit!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »
That's cool.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
Seems like an odd move. I mean, it would be SO cool to have portnoy drum on your album, but unless he's touring with them, it means portnoy has to learn all the songs, record them, THEN they have to find another drummer to learn all their past songs and portnoy stuff and tour with them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »
I think the main reason they went for him was because he was The Rev/Jimmy's favourite drummer.

Offline Adami

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »
I think the main reason they went for him was because he was The Rev/Jimmy's favourite drummer.

I understand the reasoning. Still seems like more work than necessary though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »
I get your point Adami, but I don't think it's that much more work.
Any new drummer is going to have to learn/know all of their existing songs anyway, so one more album isn't too much more for them. Sure it would make more sense to record the new album with the permanent replacement drummer, but this way they don't have the pressure of finding and committing to a new drummer so soon, while knowing they've got a good session drummer in the meantime.

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
I get your point Adami, but I don't think it's that much more work.
Any new drummer is going to have to learn/know all of their existing songs anyway, so one more album isn't too much more for them. Sure it would make more sense to record the new album with the permanent replacement drummer, but this way they don't have the pressure of finding and committing to a new drummer so soon, while knowing they've got a good session drummer in the meantime.

Fair enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 03:26:52 AM »
This is awesome.

Love A7X, and Portnoy playing with them for this record is going to make it nothing short of incredible.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 04:04:13 AM »
Who?
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 05:38:22 AM »
Who?
Seriously?
Avenged Sevenfold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHS3qJdxefY

I'm linking that vdeio becuase it is safe for work and also an official release but if you've never heard of them that is definately one of their more radio friendly songs, and a lot of their material is more complex and heavier. Second Heartbeat  :metal

I'm actually interested as to what MPs drumming is gonna sound like on this record. The Rev used a lot of tricky double bass patterns, and although it seems MP has been practiscing (if BC&SL is anything to go by) I always thought that was his one weakness. Also, The Rev has quite odd sounding drums, and I know MP is adamant about never triggering his drums in the studio. That said, the last A7X record had a more natural drum sound, so maybe that won't be an issue

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 06:42:46 AM »
Waste of time...respect to him for doing it but they're a terrible, terrible band and Mike isn't gonna make them any better unless they just make the album one big drum solo

Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 06:43:16 AM »
I'm incredibly excited to hear how this sounds.  I had heard somewhere that A7X indicated that this album will have a more progressive feel, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of this.  I don't have any recollection of where I heard that though....
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »
I'm incredibly excited to hear how this sounds.  I had heard somewhere that A7X indicated that this album will have a more progressive feel, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of this.  I don't have any recollection of where I heard that though....

M. Shadows also said in an interview with Loveline that the next record would be a more classic metal, more rock-oriented record, since the self-titled record was very experimental. He also said it would feature more progressive, longer songs and would be the "biggest Avenged Sevenfold record ever." Additionally, he said they were possibly thinking about a concept record

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read in "Metal Hammer" this month that all the songs were written anyway so those hoping Mike's gonna have any input may be disappointed
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »
Waste of time...respect to him for doing it but they're a terrible, terrible band and Mike isn't gonna make them any better unless they just make the album one big drum solo

And, double-bass patterns too tricky for Mike? Seriously? Unless it's death metal 16ths at 250bpm, he can handle anything on the kicks.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »

And, double-bass patterns too tricky for Mike? Seriously? Unless it's death metal 16ths at 250bpm, he can handle anything on the kicks.
Yeah that was me that said that, and I do think that The Rev was better at the kicks than MP. There are a lot of videos of MP playing songs where he doesn't play all the bass parts, for example The Glass Prison on his 'In Constant Motion' DVD, and on numerous songs on the Metropolis Live DVD. I appreciate it is different in a studio to a live setting, and MP may well just be conserving energy, but it still strikes me that double bass is a weak point for him.

That said, I haven't seen him live since BC&SL came out, and like I said it seems that he has improved his speed and stamina recently, but I stand by my opinion that The Rev was better at double bass.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:58 AM »

Yeah that was me that said that, and I do think that The Rev was better at the kicks than MP. There are a lot of videos of MP playing songs where he doesn't play all the bass parts, for example The Glass Prison on his 'In Constant Motion' DVD, and on numerous songs on the Metropolis Live DVD. I appreciate it is different in a studio to a live setting, and MP may well just be conserving energy, but it still strikes me that double bass is a weak point for him.
Then you shouldn't listen to Lars Ulrich live.

:jamaritard:
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 07:21:32 AM »

That said, I haven't seen him live since BC&SL came out, and like I said it seems that he has improved his speed and stamina recently, but I stand by my opinion that The Rev was better at double bass.

That shouldn't be a problem in the studio though. I've never noticed MP to be one to skimp live, but regardless, in the studio he should be able to pull off anything without worrying about conserving his energy for a 3 hour show. And since he's using more and more double kicker in DT's newer songs, like ANTR, he's probably the best he's ever been at it. It doesn't sound like their new album will be focusing on that type of thing as much anyway.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:11 AM »

That shouldn't be a problem in the studio though. I've never noticed MP to be one to skimp live, but regardless, in the studio he should be able to pull off anything without worrying about conserving his energy for a 3 hour show. And since he's using more and more double kicker in DT's newer songs, like ANTR, he's probably the best he's ever been at it. It doesn't sound like their new album will be focusing on that type of thing as much anyway.
Yeah I agree, his bass drumming now is definately better than it has been before, but I still think it would be quite an excursion for him playing music which fits the A7X style. They also have a lot of punk style drumming (i.e. very fast snare hits on the 2nd and 4th with bass inbetween) which as far as I can remember Portnoy has never done before, in DT material anyway. I also think that a lot of A7X material has a higher tempo than most of DT's stuff, so that would also be a change for MP

Of course, the new album might be nothing like the older stuff, and I'm sure the guys in A7X have enough respect for MP to let him drum how he likes, but I'm just throwing some thoughts around. Whatever happens, it'll be good

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 07:44:08 AM »

Yeah I agree, his bass drumming now is definately better than it has been before, but I still think it would be quite an excursion for him playing music which fits the A7X style. They also have a lot of punk style drumming (i.e. very fast snare hits on the 2nd and 4th with bass inbetween) which as far as I can remember Portnoy has never done before, in DT material anyway. I also think that a lot of A7X material has a higher tempo than most of DT's stuff, so that would also be a change for MP

Of course, the new album might be nothing like the older stuff, and I'm sure the guys in A7X have enough respect for MP to let him drum how he likes, but I'm just throwing some thoughts around. Whatever happens, it'll be good

Well I haven't heard any A7X, so I have no idea if Portnoy can play the style, but being a fan of the band, he'd at least be familiar with it, which is a good start. Since it's a new album though, there's no need for him to stick religiously to the same style like if he was playing older material though. And if it's a bit of a new direction, then even better. Hopefully we'll hear a good mix of Portnoy's distinctive drumming style, and some new techniques from him as he adapts to fit the music.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 07:45:03 AM »
I've never listened to the band, but I think it's really cool of Mike to do this.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »
@Blob, definately, and he also might pick up a few techniques which he brings back to Dream Theater, which would be great  :tup