Author Topic: DT's hiatus after the upcoming tour...thoughts on reasoning...  (Read 20621 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
DT's hiatus after the upcoming tour...thoughts on reasoning...
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
Lately, I've been lamenting about falling out of love with bands that used to be my favorites. Queensryche (original lineup) was always my favorite and still is, although without that original lineup, it is just a pile of shit. Dream Theater was also a favorite, right behind QR, but I haven't been all that thrilled with their direction the past few albums and they have dropped considerably.

That said, given the hiatus MP talked about, not touring the U.S. as DT on a proper BC&SL headline tour, etc., it got me thinking about the state of the band. MP said that when talking things over with the label, and with the band, they thought right now isn't the right time to tour with the band in the U.S. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sure, the economy sucks. But plenty of groups are still touring the U.S.

I think there is more to the story than that, and I believe (just my own opinion, not based on anything but observation), it is John Petrucci.

Let me explain:

In my view, John has always been one that really enjoyed mainstream metal and hard rock. Sure, MP loves all that, but at the end of the day, in terms of creating that kind of music, John was always more open to it (in public, from what I recall) than MP ever was. Look at what happened with FII. The label wanted the band to work with an outside writer. John was willing to do it (and did).

When all that ended, and the band was firmly in the grasp of both MP and JP, all of a sudden, the direction of the music went completely progressive. Sure, a song here and there, but for the most part, it was a complete musicians band, with (arguably, since many people disagree on this subject) the emphasis more on technicality than soul and emotion.

Now, not saying that is a bad thing. It obviously wasn't. The band has been very successful since MP and JP took the bull by the horns in 1998 and didn't put up with any label crap. I tip my cap to them for doing it.

But now, fast forward to BC&SL. JP walks in with a fully demoed song (Wither) that is 100 percent rock radio mainstream. A throwback, essentially. This after MP made it a point to say that the band writes together, in-studio and that this is what works best for them.

Does it?

Does it make everyone fully happy? I think not. I think JP is not fully into the current direction of the band, and wanted some time away. Not just based on that example. Since DT announced its (lack of) 2010 plans, MP has made known what he's doing, Myung has talked about doing Jelly Jam, Jordan is always busy, James is working on his solo thing, but what about JP?  Nothing. Not a peep.

I wonder if JP is truly artistically satisfied with what is going on with Dream Theater. Mike wasn't back in the FII days, and ultimately, he ended up making sure that things changed so he was. I know JP and MP are as tight as a virgin, but I have to think something other than "not the right time to tour, business-wise" is what is going on here.

Perhaps JP wanted some time away? Maybe throw in the factor his kids are getting older as well? Being a Dad myself, I can really appreciate that.

But my gut is that the style of music DT has been putting out might be wearing a little thin for JP. I listened to a lot of the older DT stuff, and the thing that stood out to me was that older DT songs had a lot of "breathing space" in them. It wasn't always about the technicality, and John really thrived with that.

Not saying he loves one more than the other, but maybe "Wither," and the fact he walked into the studio with it basically finished, is an indication that he is the one that really needed a break from DT for awhile.

Thoughts?

And folks, no ridiculous flame fests. It's a legit question from a legit fan. Don't derail this.

Thanks!

B
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT's hiatus after the upcoming tour...thoughts on reasoning...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
That's an interesting take.  It's possible, but who knows.  Personally, I think it's healthy when two (or more) members of a band rival for the direction of its sound.  I think that "give and take" or "push and pull" mentality helps bands to play with the music to a point where they all get their influences and sound into an album.  That's why I like the KM and MP dynamic in early DT and OSI.  They butted heads to the point where they both got their "sound" in the album and the music benefited from it.

So, you're basically saying that MP and JP are on different pages right now.  I kinda think that would have been reflected in the "Lifting Shadows" book and it wasn't.  The book didn't hold back, so if it was an issue I think it would've been addressed in there.  But maybe this has sprung up since the book's release.

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »
I think the label (Roadrunner) ultimately exert more pressure on Dream Theater than any member of the band will ever let on.  I'm sure Roadrunner "suggested" to John and Mike that Black Clouds & Silver Linings have a single, and we have every reason, as Sam stated, to believe that John would be more than willing to write it.  Likewise, I'm sure Roadrunner suggested waiting until the economy was better for the 2nd World Tour, and, given the convenience of having new Transatlantic to tour on, Mike (who is pretty much the manager of the band) agreed to go with Roadrunner's suggestion.

I don't sense any lack of inspiration coming from any of the band members.  Aside from Myung and LaBrie, who is on paper as being p.o.'d about not being included in the BC&SL writing sessions, the other guys seem more "in the zone" creatively now than they have for the past couple of albums.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Very interesting post. However, I don't think it was more JP than anyone else. I think they all just wanted to take a little break and work on their solo projects. And besides, I don't think the "hiatus" will be that long.... I expect to see DT doing something again by the end of the year/early 2011.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
Perp, I don't remember reading anything about James being pissed off? What are you referencing.

Sam, JP's making a solo album too. It was in an interview a bit back. Forgive me for not having the reference.
Also Sam, I don't think anything musically happens in DT without JP's approval.

But I do agree that the "band" was ready for the break. I believe they knew it too. I think it was at the end of the CiM tour, MP made a comment that the band was out longer than "some" members agreed to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
I don't have my book with me, but I remember something in the Black Clouds section of Rich Wilson's book that James was disappointed about not being involved enough in the writing process for Black Clouds.  I'll check it out when I go back to my apartment later.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »
I think there's a number of factors involved. Some of the guys are interested in doing side project stuff (MP with TA and who knows what else, JL with his solo album, JR with everything) and as you acknowledged, the economy is in the crapper and they just figured it was better to sit tight than to go out on the road only to break even (as they did with the PN09 tour here in North America).

As for JP being the prime instigator for the reasons you've listed, at least in part I know that's not the case. I recall reading somewhere (sorry, can't recall where or point to a link) that JP's gonna work on a second solo album. Additionally, with regards to JP writing Wither - while he got the only writing credit for the song, he did not bring a completed song into the studio. He had some basic chord structures and ideas for what he wanted the song to sound like. The rest of the band then helped "flesh" out the song, but not to the point of "Dream Theater-izing" so that the band were cool with JP receiving the only writing credit for the song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:17:01 PM »
I dunno. I don't have any facts to back anything that I said up. To take 2010 off, without a proper U.S. headline tour for their biggest charting debut (I think)?

That doesn't make any sense.

Plenty of bands DT's size are still touring...and again, DT had their most successful first week sale/chart ever (I believe). Something's afoot.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
Plenty of bands DT's size are still touring...and again, DT had their most successful first week sale/chart ever (I believe). Something's afoot.

I think you're undestimating how bad the economy is, though, and how few people are coming out to shows.  Even with their diehard fanbase, most DT shows this year appeared to be at little more than half-capacity.  Sure, other bands DTs size are touring but you've got to remember that Dream Theater toured to, and will be touring on this album again when times are better.  And it's not just DT that are suffering.  A couple weeks ago, Mariah Carey played a show with a similar attendance at a venue which holds 20,000.  I don't think Dream Theater are done touring on Black Clouds... I think the tour has just been postponed until more people can afford to go out to shows.  Hell, during the opening acts of both shows I went to NO ONE showed up for the opening bands.  I think DT realized they would need to take a break and come back on an "Evening With"  format to sell tickets.  As cool of an idea as Progressive Nation is, I think DT have finally realized that most of us just want to see them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:38:28 PM by Perpetual Change »

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
I think they used a little pressure from the label and the bad economy as an excuse to take a break. They had been going pretty much non-stop since Jordan joined the band. It was time for a little break I think. Hopefully they'll all take some time to relax, write some new stuff and come back recharged at some point.

Offline xeper

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:51:36 PM »
pressure from the label and the bad economy
I put my money on these reasons. Very unfortunate for everyone, but they're handling it professionally.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »

I think you're undestimating how bad the economy is, though, and how few people are coming out to shows.  Even with their diehard fanbase, most DT shows this year appeared to be at little more than half-capacity.  Sure, other bands DTs size are touring but you've got to remember that Dream Theater toured to, and will be touring on this album again when times are better.  And it's not just DT that are suffering.  A couple weeks ago, Mariah Carey played a show with a similar attendance at a venue which holds 20,000.  I don't think Dream Theater are done touring on Black Clouds... I think the tour has just been postponed until more people can afford to go out to shows.  Hell, during the opening acts of both shows I went to NO ONE showed up for the opening bands.  I think DT realized they would need to take a break and come back on an "Evening With"  format to sell tickets.  As cool of an idea as Progressive Nation is, I think DT have finally realized that most of us just want to see them.

Trust me, I'm not underestimating how bad the economy is and how few people are coming out to shows. I am just not buying that being the be-all, end-all truth. I grant that it as something to do with it, but something else is out there.

No band I've ever heard of simply does not do a headline tour at all when their album charts where DT's did. It's almost unheard of, unless something dramatic happens (Journey, when Steve Perry refused to tour because of his hip injury, with Trial By Fire in 1996).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »
I don't know what this means, but I kinda feel like even though JP has no lack of love for shredding, when it comes to composing and structuring songs, he seems to have the best sense of how to make it work. Look at his solo album vs. JR's.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »

Trust me, I'm not underestimating how bad the economy is and how few people are coming out to shows. I am just not buying that being the be-all, end-all truth. I grant that it as something to do with it, but something else is out there.

No band I've ever heard of simply does not do a headline tour at all when their album charts where DT's did. It's almost unheard of, unless something dramatic happens (Journey, when Steve Perry refused to tour because of his hip injury, with Trial By Fire in 1996).

To be fair, DT DID tour after the album... I would imagine most people who wanted to see DT did so in that time (although I know a few skipped out because they had no interest in the other bands, they were in the minority).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
To be fair, DT DID tour after the album... I would imagine most people who wanted to see DT did so in that time (although I know a few skipped out because they had no interest in the other bands, they were in the minority).

Yes, they did.  But they did not do a "Dream Theater BC&SL headlining tour" in the U.S., their home country, in support of the new album.  They did a "Progressive Nation, feat. Dream Theater, tour," which for all intents and purposes may not be all that different.  But there is still a difference in perception among a lot of fans and people in the industry.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Yes, they did.  But they did not do a "Dream Theater BC&SL headlining tour" in the U.S., their home country, in support of the new album.  They did a "Progressive Nation, feat. Dream Theater, tour," which for all intents and purposes may not be all that different.  But there is still a difference in perception among a lot of fans and people in the industry.
But on their Progressive Nation tour, they played just as long as most bands I've seen play on their headlining tours (80-90 minutes).  So I only feel jipped in comparison to what Dream Theater have done in the past, not in comparison to what comparable bands are doing.  Also, there's no reason to think that DT won't be touring on BC&SL next time around.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »
But on their Progressive Nation tour, they played just as long as most bands I've seen play on their headlining tours (80-90 minutes).  So I only feel jipped in comparison to what Dream Theater have done in the past, not in comparison to what comparable bands are doing.  Also, there's no reason to think that DT won't be touring on BC&SL next time around.

Touring on BC&SL in 2011 is stupid. The album would have been out for two years. Simply put, they aren't doing a traditional U.S. headline tour on the record, and that is very, very strange. Prog Nation wasn't about DT. It was about progressive music. There is a big, big difference.

It's very odd that they just dropped that bomb about not touring the U.S. on the record.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
Even though you admit that is just your opinion and not based in facts, you´re completely wrong in many things you take for granted as facts. JP said he was interested in doing a new solo album, and you imply that he´s doing nothing while the rest of the band is busy, that´s completely false. Saying that after FII the band went completely progressive doesn´t look like an accurate statement to me, it was like that since the Majesty era, and in Octavarium you can see some return to the FII style in terms of writing more concise rock songs, you have JP writing lyrics for IWBY and TALW, so if he want to explore that area with DT, he has always been free to do it.

And of course, the idea of JP not being satisfied with the music when he is the main songwriter doesn´t seem to make much sense.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:54:41 PM by reneranucci »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
Even though you admit that is just your opinion and not based in facts, you´re completely wrong in many things you take for granted as facts. JP said he was interested in doing a new solo album, and you imply that he´s doing nothing while the rest of the band is busy, that´s completely false.

I was uninformed until I read the replies in this thread. I stand corrected.

Saying that after FII the band went completely progressive doesn´t look like an accurate statement to me, it was like that since the Majesty era, and in Octavarium you can see some return to the FII style in terms of writing more concise rock songs, you have JP writing lyrics for IWBY and TALW, so if he want to explore that area with DT, he has always been free to do it.

That is YOUR opinion, and you have every right to it. I disagree.

And of course, the idea of JP not being satisfied with the music when he is the main songwriter doesn´t seem to make much sense.

Actually, it makes plenty of sense. When a writer is locked into one way of doing things (due to the way a band is structured), it tends to get stale...which is one of the terms I personally use to describe some of the past few DT releases...and a number of others share that opinion.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
Touring on BC&SL in 2011 is stupid. The album would have been out for two years. Simply put, they aren't doing a traditional U.S. headline tour on the record, and that is very, very strange. Prog Nation wasn't about DT. It was about progressive music. There is a big, big difference.

It's very odd that they just dropped that bomb about not touring the U.S. on the record.

Maybe they didn't tour on the album, but they still played 50-75% of it every night of Progressive Nation.  That's not too shabby, especially compared to other bands.  Just because their world tour wasn't named after their album doesn't mean anything.  They had a pretty good run of 80-90 minute shows with PN09, played most of their new material every night, and hit everywhere but Asia-- which could still happen.  Sure, I want them to come back.  But nothing that's happened seems so strange that I'd think it was due to a member not happy with his role in the band.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
Well I can understand that.

JP does often need to get away from it all. I mean he does need to hunt salmon.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
Well I can understand that.

JP does often need to get away from it all. I mean he does need to hunt salmon.

And he needs time to hibernate. When are the winters in Tuscany?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »

Maybe they didn't tour on the album, but they still played 50-75% of it every night of Progressive Nation.  That's not too shabby, especially compared to other bands.  Just because their world tour wasn't named after their album doesn't mean anything.  They had a pretty good run of 80-90 minute shows with PN09, played most of their new material every night, and hit everywhere but Asia-- which could still happen.  Sure, I want them to come back.  But nothing that's happened seems so strange that I'd think it was due to a member not happy with his role in the band.

Good point. But I guess my hesitation on brushing this all off has to do with the abruptness of it all. No warning, no thing. Everyone was waiting for the U.S. headline tour and BANG "we're not touring." just seems a bit sudden.

Again, remember, I'm just riffing here. I just thought it was an interesting take on the situation. I've got no ego about it being right or anything. But my gut tells me the whole "economy sucks" reasoning wasn't the whole truth.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »
Again, remember, I'm just riffing here. I just thought it was an interesting take on the situation. I've got no ego about it being right or anything. But my gut tells me the whole "economy sucks" reasoning wasn't the whole truth.

Same.  IMO it was Roadrunner's "suggestion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:20 PM »

Same.  IMO it was Roadrunner's "suggestion."
I agree Sam, but I didn't think it was a Roadrunner thing.
I'm thinking it was for the overall health of the band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »
The amount of touring they've done in this deacade alone is stagering.  I think most of the guys (Except Mr. OCD, MP) wanted a long break that they've desrved.  We've been a little bit spoiled with there work ethic over the last 10 year.  Most established bands take 4 years off between the studio, touring for that album and then the process starting again.  I do think that there bread and butter for making money is touring so mabye they're just a little burnt and need to recharge their batteries and be with their families who are growning up fast.  Time flies on the road.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
Perp, I don't remember reading anything about James being pissed off? What are you referencing.
On p. 361 in Lifting Shadows (2nd edition) JLB talks about how the lyrics played out for Black Clouds and says, basically, that while he's ok it happened this time, there is no way that he won't have lyrical contributions on the next cd.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Sorry but I'm a bit of a DT noob compared to some of you.
John Petrucci is more inclined to make radio friendly songs?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »

Yeah.  To this day John has said that he doesn't regret at all the cooperation he gave to the label during the making of Falling Into Infinity, and feels he's improved tremendously by having artists like Desmond Child help him write "singles."

Offline j

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »

Yeah.  To this day John has said that he doesn't regret at all the cooperation he gave to the label during the making of Falling Into Infinity, and feels he's improved tremendously by having artists like Desmond Child help him write "singles."

Damn he said that?  The help of other artists and whatnot is fine (even great) of course, but he honestly thinks Desmond Child contributed something positive to something he wrote?

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
Maybe they also need a general DT break to let them write their 11th album in a more unconventional way than from the way they've written the run of the last 4 albums. Perhaps they know what some fans have said on these forums and elsewhere, things like taking a break between albums and (hopefully) sitting on songs they've written to see how well they age and tweaking anything necessary, instead of just kind of rushing it through.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
Maybe they also need a general DT break to let them write their 11th album in a more unconventional way than from the way they've written the run of the last 4 albums. Perhaps they know what some fans have said on these forums and elsewhere, things like taking a break between albums and (hopefully) sitting on songs they've written to see how well they age and tweaking anything necessary, instead of just kind of rushing it through.

Indeed... with Octavarium, they closed out the so-called Meta-Album with ending "Octavarium" with the opening of the album, closing that string of albums (SFAM-SDOIT-TOT-8VM)... and with BC&SL, they ended The Twelve-Step Suite with "Shattered Fortress", so now with their next album, there are no real expectations anymore. No concepts to continue, so anything is possible.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
Samsara, with all due respect, I think you're overanalyzing nothing to create a scenario that's simply not there.
It's an interesting theory, but I don't see a strong basis for it at all. I don't see any of the guys going this long in their tight DT schedule if they weren't happy, and I have no reason to believe that their current situation is anything other than a financial decision.
PN wouldn't have been all that profitable for them (being split between 4 bands, and some fans waiting for regular shows), and they probably figured they didn't want to wear it out, which would explain why the tour has continued in other parts of the world. It's not all about the US, after all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
Most established bands take 4 years off between the studio, touring for that album and then the process starting again.

4 years? Yeah, maybe bands like Rush and others that have been around 10 or 20 years more than DT. But since the 80's it's pretty much been a 2 year cycle for many bands.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.