Author Topic: New music app from JR.  (Read 4361 times)

Offline kirbywelch92

New music app from JR.
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »
https://www.amidio.com/index.php/iphone-music-apps/jr-hexatone-pro

It's called the JR Hexatone Pro and features (the world's first apparently) 6 direction hexagonal oscillator. It's a drum machine basically, that I can't figure for the life of me but certainly looks pretty interesting.

It's got nothing on Bebot in my opinion though ::)

So, thoughts? Would you dish out the $10 for it?

Offline changing_seasons

Re: New music app from JR.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
It's not really new, I got it like 6 months ago. It sounds pretty cool, but it's obviously for people more electronica-interested than myself. It's also quite complicated, I think. Haven't really done much with it though.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »
$10 seems justifiable at first sight, but as an app on its own, it's not as useful as one might originally think imo. If you're interested in Electronica and creating interesting and diversified drum beats, it might definitely pay off, but personally, I'd prefer the Bebot, since I'm more interested in creating musical pieces with melodies as a starting point.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Slain

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »
Yeah, he's actually working on a new one (not bebot or hexatone) I'm not completely sure what it's going to be, but I hope it's more bebot-esque. I mean, hexatone looks cool and all but I don't really think it's something that I'd want to take the time to learn and use.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
I made the mistake of buying it. Way too complex  :D
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
$10 seems justifiable at first sight, but as an app on its own, it's not as useful as one might originally think imo. If you're interested in Electronica and creating interesting and diversified drum beats, it might definitely pay off, but personally, I'd prefer the Bebot, since I'm more interested in creating musical pieces with melodies as a starting point.

I agree entirely. I'm not into the loop/beat type of thing, but Bebot is very musical, especially considering how uncluttered the interface is.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Slain

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »
I feel like such a fanboy for buying 90% of the applications that JR suggests.  :blush
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »

I agree entirely. I'm not into the loop/beat type of thing, but Bebot is very musical, especially considering how uncluttered the interface is.
Bebot is extremely addicting! I've hooked it up to car stereos and guitar amplifiers, which makes it 10x more addicting.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »

Bebot is extremely addicting! I've hooked it up to car stereos and guitar amplifiers, which makes it 10x more addicting.

Awesome. I've run Bebot through a small guitar amp through a big Marshall quad box, and it sounds great. You can get a nice warm lead synth tone out of it, and it's such an expressive instrument, like a continuum.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
Anyone think that Bebot will be applicable to the iPad? Imagine what you could do with the larger playing surface?... oooooh...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Slain

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
Anyone think that Bebot will be applicable to the iPad? Imagine what you could do with the larger playing surface?... oooooh...

-Marc.

Definitley, JR is already excited about the ipad. Music would probably be one of the most practical uses for it, but I wouldnt want to shell out 500$

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »

-Marc.

Definitley, JR is already excited about the ipad. Music would probably be one of the most practical uses for it, but I wouldnt want to shell out 500$

True... but how much does a decent-size Haken Continuum cost?... I'd probably stick to an iPad over a Continuum, considering the other applciations you can use on it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »

-Marc.

True... but how much does a decent-size Haken Continuum cost?... I'd probably stick to an iPad over a Continuum, considering the other applciations you can use on it.

-Marc.

Continuums are custom if I recall correctly, so it would probably be upwards of 5,000 dollars.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
Yeah, its not new at all I purchased it a long time ago. I will confess that I just bought because JR made it, never used that much.
Its a great app for making electronic music though.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Slain

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »

-Marc.

Yeah, very true

-Marc.