Author Topic: If DT's singer wasn't James Labrie...  (Read 22146 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: If DT's singer wasn't James Labrie...
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
I was, to clarify however, speaking of future metal tracks.

Oh I understood that just fine. The problem is that I LOATHE cookie monster vocals, and having someone like Akerfeldt in there is gonna mean there's more of them than there already (unfortunately) is. (And yes, I realize that technically speaking, there are no cookie monster vocals on a DT album yet, but TDEN and ANtR have some vocals that are too close for comfort already).

I hear ya to some extent. I used to have James Hetfield being the extreme end of my liking for harsh vox. Eventually I got into Death(the band) when I borrowed a copy of Symbolic from a friend in '99 and loved(no, fuck that! ADORED) the great riffs and mind-boggling drumming of Gene Hoglan but was still iffy at best about death vox. I just couldn't stop listening to that album though since the moods conveyed and amazing arrangements with their progressive nature were so much more impressive than even ...And Justice For All (sacrilege right?  :blush) was to me.

For a long time I still could only let other Dvox bands in on a very limited basis such as Cynic and Mastodon(kinda light for the Dvox consideration I know) but I eventually realized that for the kind of metal I liked best I'd have to put up with this vocal style. I think some of my main reservations were kinda silly looking back on it:

1) Too headache-provoking...I realized that even bands like Korn and Rage Against the Machine used to feel as though they were boring a hole into my eardrums when I was coming off of grunge being my only main immersion into rock music and that it'd be foolish to get complacent and close my mind on the matter. I wondered how many awesome beers would I not have tried if I never acquired the taste for alcohol, how many sports I wouldn't have tried cuz I miserably sucked at them originally, how many delicious dishes I'd have snubbed if I let their spiciness discourage me?

2) Embarrassed due to others' reactions...I got over this one pretty quickly but in the beginning I remembered how I would snobbishly think to myself how lame someone's taste in music must be if they listen to bands that only roar all the time and thus felt a bit insecure because I figured some ppl may think the same of me.

3) It's not really singing...This one took a while for me to completely get over since I could never fully support it in a way I felt would hold up in a proper debate even once I personally was okay with it not being traditional singing. Context was the key to this one. I wouldn't wear a grass skirt to a job interview(on purpose anyway) but at a luau I'm the bee's knees. Likewise Dvox don't mix well with most musical styles but they make perfect sense in certain types of rock and metal and possibly even other styles. There are some parts in songs where Rob Halford or Russell Allen at their testosterone-drenched best simply wouldn't be able to provide the necessary intensity to deliver the punch needed to help a song reach its fruition the way Mikael Åkerfeldt, Stu Block, or Chuck Schuldiner can.

I think getting into Opeth was what helped me finally make total peace with Dvox since I knew there was no way I could not listen to music this good. Also, unless the vocals are miserably undesirable I can get past a lot since I am more into music than vocals. I've never fully liked JLB but DT was my fave from 2000-04.

Bottom line: As long as you look at Dvox w/ a narrow mind they're all gonna sound like cookie monster to you which is a tragically short-sighted standpoint. Once you give them a chance, you might start to see subtle nuances that distinguish one guy from the next and though you'll never like them all(trust me as a longtime fan of the style, we all will still hate some just as fans of regular vox don't just like every singer they hear) you just might be pleasantly surprised by some types like Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt(a very good clean singer in his own right too) and also Scar Symmetry(clean vox used as well.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:19:42 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
Well, I appreciate your explanation, but forgive me if I decide I'm happy in my "tragically short-sighted standpoint". As far as I'm concerned, there's plenty of other music out there for me to enjoy, just as there are many different types of food dishes out there that don't burn the tastebuds off your tongue. And quite frankly, I don't enjoy the headaches or angry emotions that some of the heavier music has on me - cookie monster vocals only makes that worse. Add to that the lyrics that are sometimes tied to that style of music (it is called "death metal" for a reason) - I don't like the dark, occult-ish and/or death lyrical content - it goes against my religious beliefs.

So while I appreciate you trying to "open" my eyes, thanx but no thanx.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
That would be horrible. I actually really like the way JLB yells those parts.

That's rather dismissive. I think JLB is reaching for what ain't there on those parts, there are female vocalists out there who could sing it with more balls.

I think JLB's yells work much better than an Akerfeldt growl would, at least in this specific example.  I think growls are best used to convey a certain set of emotions.  Growling sounds dark, angry, evil, ominous...stuff like that.  But the way JLB yells the word "des-per-ate!" sounds...desperate.  It's perfect.  Growling it would probably sound badass but reduce the lyric's punch.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 07:00:01 AM »
Daniel Gildenlow can most definitely do everything James does just as well if not ten times better.

Fanboy much?

You can't deny it though.

Sure I can. Because I'm not a PoS fanboy.
Every heard him sing?

Dude that's not how DT's biggest fanboy works. Don't question his reasoning!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »
Daniel Gildenlow can most definitely do everything James does just as well if not ten times better.

Fanboy much?

Every heard him sing?

Who's the fanboy here? You know, I think it might be the guy dishing out the extreme hyperbole.  :justjen
It's either delusional fanboyism, or blatantly trolling a DT board. Take your pick.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »
Listen, Daniel Gildenlow is a great singer with fantastic range, and I WISH DT could write and pull off some of the amazing vocal harmonies that grace the PoS discography.

That said, Daniel Gildenlow would not sound good AT ALL singing Dream Theater songs.  James LaBrie's extremely distinct voice has played such a huge role defining the DT sound that the only was he could be replaced would be by some nobody who happens to sound simillar to him.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:26:52 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »
Obviously if JLB wasn't in DT then Mike would be the lead vocalist
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:37 AM »
Obviously if JLB wasn't in DT then Mike would be the lead vocalist

According to some, this is happening already.  :biggrin:

Offline xeper

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
This thread is interesting to me- I have plenty of Deep Purple albums without Ritchie Blackmore or Ian Gillan, and I've heard SO many folks say "it's not Purple w/out Blackmore" or something. I always shrugged them off as closed-minded, and tried to explain the great albums they're missing with Tommy Bolin, Steve Morse, etc.
But with a band like Dream Theater, who I grew up with to an extent (been following em for over 10 years now), I find myself guilty of the same attitude. I'm not sure it'd be DT to me (not that I matter lol) w/out JLB. I'd give it a chance, but whether I liked it or not, it'd be like a different band. Just my two cents though.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

Fanboy much?

Every heard him sing?

Aren't we basically doing the same but the other way 'round? :p

I agree that Gildenlöw's singing would feel out of place on most DT songs though. But I do think he is by far the superior vocalist (nothing against LaBrie, he is awesome as well).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »
You know what would rule? A DT tribute CD with famous prog singers doing it so we can see how they'd sound. Allen on one, Gildenlow on another, ripper, alden, all of them. Who wouldn't get that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »
You know what would rule? A DT tribute CD with famous prog singers doing it so we can see how they'd sound. Allen on one, Gildenlow on another, ripper, alden, all of them. Who wouldn't get that?

And don't forget Bob Dylan :neverusethis:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Stephen Michael Stone

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »

And don't forget Bob Dylan :neverusethis:

Also Michael Stipe, Ric Ocasek, and the guy from Meshuggah.

It's actually more fun to think of singers who would be very inappropriate for DT.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
It's actually more fun to think of singers who would be very inappropriate for DT.

Snoop Dog?

Offline Adami

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »
I was actually serious about my post, but do go on mocking it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »
I was actually serious about my post, but do go on mocking it.

Your idea was a good one.  To have various prog vocalists take their shot at DT would be cool as hell.  I didn't mean to come off as mocking your post; really I was just responding to the idea of putting forth ludicrous candidates and laughing at that. Perhaps Ludicrus would be a good candidate?

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:08 PM »
That's just a ludicrus idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »
I would like to throw a monkey wrench in the convo for a min and suggest perhaps Adam Pascal. He has a powerful voice as well as that soft appeal to his voice that would be expected from a JLB successor. He's not a metal singer but I imagine he could put an interesting sound on some songs. However he may not have the range for older ones, I don't know much about him.

Also the guy who sings for Kalisia, I think his name is Brett Caldas-Lima. They covered A Fortune in Lies and did a hell of a job. He would sound great on most songs, though I've not heard his soft side.

Ripper...Would be a terrible replacement. I would need to see him demonstrate a consistant bridging of his passagio before even attempting a DT song. Not only that but his chest voice and head voice sound very different with his head voice not as well controled/maintained as JLB. Ripper may have the range and power but simple does not IMO have the vocal control needed to sing most of DT's catalogue.

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
Freddie Mercury for sure...+ living - HUGE Personality. I'd enjoy Disappear or Goodnight Kiss with his vocals, though clearly Labrie was brilliant covering the Queen songs.
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »
Adam Lambert

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
Ray Alder  :D
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline guenhwyvarmky

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
I second the Adam Pascal nomination... before all of the broadway stuff he was a hard rock singer, and he likely has the range.  I've heard him sing a high C# well enough to know that there's probably more there.

Second - can someone point me in the direction of evidence (interviews or whatnot) for Gildenlow's assumed megalomaniacal tendencies?  PoS has always primarily been a vehicle for his songwriting and ideas.  Since that's the way it's structured, the other members knew what they were getting into when they joined.  The only possible exception to that would be Frederik.  Daniel is my all time favorite singer, but he would not work with DT's style.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »
I'm probably going to get flogged for this but my first pick would be Stryper's Michael Sweet. His voice pairs well with DT music and has great range.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2010, 01:10:51 AM »
Adam Lambert

oh damn I forgot about him. I honestly think he'd be a wonderful fit. That guy can hit any note holy shit.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2010, 01:24:16 AM »
:lol
:clap:

And:

MP(same voice he originally used throughout): Enter the door!
Mikael(rororo voice): Desperate
MP: Fighting no more!
Mikael: Help me restore!

...and so on.

Brutal.. :metal

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
MP(same voice he originally used throughout): Enter the door!
Mikael(rororo voice): Desperate
MP: Fighting no more!
Mikael: Help me restore!

...and so on.

Brutal.. :metal
[/quote]

I envision it as being slower compared to the original though.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
You know, as an Alter Bridge fanboy, i can see Myles Kennedy owning songs like These Walls and Under A Glass Moon. But I will have to agree with the majority that I rather see DT end than to have someone replace Labrie

Offline Slain

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »

Snoop Dog?

Imagine him doing count of tuscany
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2010, 08:06:49 PM »

Snoop Dog?

Yo, le'mme introduce... MINE BRUTHA!

Offline The Noob

• The DTF Noob, but NOT a DT Noob
  • The Comfy Chair?
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
Andy Kuntz
Yeah, well I wish Windows 7 would suck my dick and give me a dinosaur, but that's not going to happen either.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »
Gene Adam. Oh the horror. The hilarious horror.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »

Snoop Dog?

Yo, le'mme introduce... MINE BRUTHA!

could this bizee the ezzend???