Author Topic: A great JLB guest spot not everyone knows about  (Read 4658 times)

Offline xeper

A great JLB guest spot not everyone knows about
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »
Anyone else heard John Macaluso & Union Radio's "The Radio Waves Goodbye" album? LaBrie's on track 1, "Soul in Your Mind". Macaluso toured w/ JLB's solo band, I'm a huge fan of his playing (great linear patterns). Killer tune :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: A great JLB guest spot not everyone knows about
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
Never heard of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline xeper

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
Last I checked you can sample it at johnmacaluso.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
I remember downloading it a while back.  The "CRUCIFYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" part was pretty  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
really cool song, thanks!
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »
I remember downloading it a while back.  The "CRUCIFYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" part was pretty  :metal

:lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
Sounds cool.  Whenever I heard stuff like this, I get angry that James isn't used like that in DT for the most part anymore.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
I actually usually don't like hearing JLB outside of DT. He never sounds as polished on outside projects (including EoP, although I love that album anyway).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
The difference for me is that on other people's records, the artists want James because they want his voice, so LaBrie always sounds very "in the pocket" and the material usually lends itself very well to the uniqueness of his voice.  On Dream Theater albums, LaBrie always sounds like he's being inched out of his comfort zone into singing a style that's not totally "him."

LaBrie has pretty much unlimited studio time, a huge budget, and additional producers to work with when doing Dream Theater records, so of course they always sound more polished.  Whereas on other projects, he likely only spends a day or two in the studio recording his parts.

Either way, I still think his performance on The Human Equation is better than any DT record or JLB side project.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
I always think he sounds a lot better on DT albums. On guest spots they don't sound like they know how to utilize his voice like DT do, so he always sounds a bit rougher and less controlled. I feel the same way about the BCASL covers too. Even though his tone is great on Stargazer, it just doesn't sound controlled enough to be right for a DT album, where the standard is much higher.
And I hate his performance on the Human Equation. His tone is ok, but it's too pitchy and attempting to be operatic. He sounds a lot better on every DT album, including Systematic Chaos.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
I haven't enjoyed his singing as much on the last two albums as I usually do.  While he's great on some songs, I don't like that snarl thing he has going on now.  He's still one of my favorites, though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
His snarl is very hit and miss, and at times like CM it sounds forced, but on BCASL I thought they got it mostly right, and for the first time in a while it sounded very natural, like on ANTR. And then there are songs like Wither and TBOT where it's as clean a vocal as it gets. And despite the style of song, he didn't go with a harsh voice on AROP either.
His snarl doesn't do it for me on TSF though. I'm not thrilled about his voice on the earlier verses of that one. And TCOT is a bit meh, but that's more the vocal melodies than anything else. But the outro to TCOT is an amazing vocal and better than anything I've heard from him outside of DT. He's singing about being threatened by a Count, and still doesn't come off sounding cheesy like he does on The Human Equation (imo).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »
Either way, I still think his performance on The Human Equation is better than any DT record or JLB side project.

I don't know, that's pushing it a bit. IaW and Awake arguably offer better performances.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »

I don't know, that's pushing it a bit. IaW and Awake arguably offer better performances.

Well, those are definitive young LaBrie moments but when I think of James LaBrie, I think of the vocalist that is perfectly represented on The Human Equation.

And I pretty much agree Blob, though I like CM.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »

Well, those are definitive young LaBrie moments but when I think of James LaBrie, I think of the vocalist that is perfectly represented on The Human Equation.

And I pretty much agree Blob, though I like CM.

I love CM, but I just thought it was the best example of JLB doing something out of his comfort zone like you described.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
I found this in spotify

*listening now*

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »
This is a great song, and I think James sounds fantastic, personally.  Nice find, I hadn't even heard of this guy before...thanks for sharing!

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
Yes this song was mentioned here a while back and ever since, I have loved it! I highly recommend it if anyone is a fan of JLB's EoP album.    :tup

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
This is a great song, and I think James sounds fantastic, personally.  Nice find, I hadn't even heard of this guy before...thanks for sharing!

You had never heard of John Macaluso...or of  JLB? ;D
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 05:49:53 AM »
This is a great song, and I think James sounds fantastic, personally.  Nice find, I hadn't even heard of this guy before...thanks for sharing!

You had never heard of John Macaluso...or of  JLB? ;D

The JLB guy...I saw on Wikipedia he sings for a band called Dream Theatre?  ;)