Author Topic: Is it ever too late to learn to play an instrument?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Mitch555

Is it ever too late to learn to play an instrument?
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:59:57 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm an 18 year old student and I've been getting very bored these days, and I've decided that learning to play Bass would be a pretty good thing to do. Problem is, last time I played an instrument was in 9th grade where I took piano lessons for a year, so I know nothing about string-based instruments.

Is it simply ''too late'' to learn or is there still hope? Keep in mind that I don't want to play ''seriously''. Just want to play bass as a hobby, as I've always found bass guitar and bassists in general to be cool.

Also, if you could suggest some good guides to teach me about the basics, I'd really appreciate that.

:millahhhh

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Is it ever too late to learn to play an instrument?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
It's never too late to learn. I mean, the odds of becoming the next John Myung are much smaller now, but you're totally able to learn just for fun.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
Pah, JM only started at 14! 18's plenty young enough. You're putty! Practically a foetus! Not many people become prodigies in their teens, it's a clever time to lay down some groundwork but you can catch up four years no prob. People learn at different rates anyway. Won't be too late till you're well into your sixties.

And even then you could still get somewhere!

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »
Nah, as long as you have a genuine interest and don't get too cocky about it or get too frustrated about it.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
I'd say it's not too late. Don't wait until you're 30 though. And when you can, definitely take some formal lessons. Teaching yourself really only gets you so far

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »
I just started at age 18 myself.  I'm 19 now and can play through "Natural Science," "Hysteria," and "The Real Me."  Since you haven't had much music knowledge in the past, lessons will be a must.  I've only had about 2 months worth of them since I go to school in another state, but they really do help a LOT.  Go for it man!

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
You're 18 and you're pondering if it's "too late"???

The only thing you're too late for is to be a child prodigy who plays YYZ by age 11 and posts it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XsYuHbXZUk

You're in your prime dude. Pick it up and rock the f*#K out!

Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:16:54 PM »
Ha, I started playing guitar at the age of 17, and I'm planning on trying to so professional when I graduate college this year at age 22.  It's never too late as long as you have the passion to play!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
It helps if you have previous knowledge of other instruments, or some knowledge of music theory.
It's never too late to learn something. Being good depends on your commitment and enjoyment of the instrument you choose to learn. A 30-year-old could learn guitar just as well as a 13-year-old can. It just so happens that most 30-year-olds have other things to do, and can't fully commit to taking lessons. I happened to have lots of free time on my hands for the last 4 months. I was determined to improve my drumming skills. So I practiced every day and now I'm a much better drummer. If you have the commitment and love for learning an instrument, then there is no reason why you can't learn now.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.