Author Topic: Which 'side' of DT is more appreciated by DFT.org members? Technical or Melodic?  (Read 7765 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
I appreciate their technicality because it's what separates them from every other band, but I like the melodies better. I'm more of a melody/atmosphere guy so that's why. Although I do understand that both are critical to the DT sound.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
I think its ridiculous to catogorize music into "technical" vs. "melodic". Dream Theater, like all other music, can be melodically beautiful while being technically complex, and also very simple tecnically but unmelodic.

Technical or melodic? That just sounds so idiotic to me. Having to think about or notice a "balance" between the two is crazy.

Dream Theater does not have two "sides" - technical and melodic, and I think its stupid to think that way and its disprespectful to any music to simplify it to such ridiculous terms.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I think its ridiculous to catogorize music into "technical" vs. "melodic". Dream Theater, like all other music, can be melodically beautiful while being technically complex, and also very simple tecnically but unmelodic.

Technical or melodic? That just sounds so idiotic to me. Having to think about or notice a "balance" between the two is crazy.

Dream Theater does not have two "sides" - technical and melodic, and I think its stupid to think that way and its disprespectful to any music to simplify it to such ridiculous terms.
Thank you for your insight.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
my greatest tribute about technicality towards DT is mostly attributed to MP.

JLB's vocal sounds are really melodic, enthuesd with emotions.

JP and JM and JR are perfect combination of both parts.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ