Author Topic: Which 'side' of DT is more appreciated by DFT.org members? Technical or Melodic?  (Read 7759 times)

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
...we all know the huge amount of complains about their technical tendention ...but we all know they are very melodic as well...

I :heart both 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Both. They're both essential parts of DT, and DT are at their best when both are in a good balance. The reason I consider SDOIT their best album is because of this balance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Both. They're both essential parts of DT, and DT are at their best when both are in a good balance

perfectly put...

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Melodic, definitely. I find that quite a few of the instrumental sections are a slog while I wait for the next melodic bit. Obviously exceptions to this rule are all of I&W and SDOIT, where I think they fit perfectly, and some of Octavarium and SFAM. Overall though, I'd much rather Endless Sacrifice had no instrumental section, for instance. (although that might be an unfair example)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Poll?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can't believe no one commented on who the OP is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
It's Vlasto.

I guess melodic.  They can sometimes be too technical, but I don't recall them being too melodic (I don't even know what that means).  But normally they should go hand in hand.

Happ Vlasto Day
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Everyone forgot :P

But I like both

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
I guess melodic.  They can sometimes be too technical, but I don't recall them being too melodic (I don't even know what that means).  But normally they should go hand in hand.
Do you even listen to technical music

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
 :lol

Yes, occasionally.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
They're good on both and I appreciate both, but if they're going to be mixed on a song they must complement each other perfectly (Like in Misunderstood, ANtR, ACOS, Octavarium, Innocence Faded, etc). Because if they don't they can ruin each other (The Technical/Instrumental part of Endless Sacrifice ruins the rest of the song IMO).

If they're apart, they're great. If they're together and fit perfectly, they're sublime.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
One side isn't very fun without the other.  Would an album full of Dance of Eternities be fun?  No.  Would an album full of I Walk Beside You and Forsakens be fun?  Not at all.

Offline Dream Team

I will word this a little differently.

DT is at their best when they are playing technically; while using the melodic aspect much more than the "rooaar, we're uber-heavy" aspect to balance the technicality.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Thats a hard choice. But I guess I'd have to go with melodic. As long as something sounds good, I don't really care how complex the arrangement is.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Definitely melodic. Not that there's anything wrong with technicality, I just prefer melodies.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Melodic times 8 million

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Mix is always good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Both.  Though I believe the melodic side makes the technical better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Melodic. I used to be in awe of the technical stuff but the substance has evaporated from that side of DT quite rapidly over the past few years. In fairness most technical stuff bores the crap out of me nowadays anyways.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Melodic.  Prog and metal bands with a high degree of technicality are quickly becoming dime-a-dozen.  It's the melodic side that sets you apart.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Melodic.  Prog and metal bands with a high degree of technicality are quickly becoming dime-a-dozen.  It's the melodic side that sets you apart.

And to me exactly what sets DT apart from a lot of other prog. Not enough focus on melody, unlike DT who have always put melody first.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I like both worlds. I like to thing that DT is melodically technical.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
I'm partial to both.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
A good balance of both is the way to go. See Take The Time, Trial Of Tears, Blind Faith, for instance.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline RandalGraves

And to me exactly what sets DT apart from a lot of other prog. Not enough focus on melody, unlike DT who have always put melody first.

This exactly.  The technical side doesn't mean shit to me if my ears don't go, "Oooh yeah baby, give me more."

Offline LTE

Melodic, although I would say most of their best technical arrangements are still melodic.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
Melodic, but a mix of them in way that makes it perfect both technically and melodically AT THE SAME TIME is the best case scenario, my idea in mind being Octavarium (the song)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
I guess I lean toward melodic, though I really love the balance

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
This is a hard line to draw. I think one thing feeds the other. If they DT is really into a melody, they won´t be able to express it in simple arpeggios. I agree some songs have the reverse of effect of too many extra notes that mean nothing, but In The Name Of God or even LTE are great exemples that fast sequences of notes can be melodic and mind-blowing at the same time. This balance is what makes DT special for me and one of the most unique bands nowadays, so I love both.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline blackngold29

It's really yin and yang... one gets better because the other is there. Certainly other bands have both as well, but I guess what separates DT is the sheer level of their technicality.

Offline j

I guess I lean toward melodic, though I really love the balance

Couldn't have said it better myself.

-J

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I prefer the melodic side, to me, the ability of knowing what to play to enhance the song, is much better than showing off an ability to play very well within a song.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wasp2020

Well, Surrounded is my favorite song, while Dance of Eternity is my least favorite, so yeah.

Either a mix of the two, or primarily melodic, is fine, but not primarily technical.

Offline FlashCE

Melodic.

However, sometimes the technical aspect CAN contribute to the melodic aspect. An example is the legato section in In the Name of God. I love the sound of it. I do prefer their melodic stuff over their technical stuff a lot more though.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
Both. They're both essential parts of DT, and DT are at their best when both are in a good balance

perfectly put...
Yup