Author Topic: [Music] Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Beardfish
Album: Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two
Genre: Progressive-Rock
Year of Release: 2008
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Traffic-Part-Two-Beardfish/dp/B00151A6TI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219791299&sr=8-1

Are we witnessing the birth of a new king? With Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two, Beardfish have shown they are ready to give their Swedish contemporaries a run for their money. Part Two leap-frogged over the latest albums from The Tangent and The Flower Kings in terms of originality and quality, and in doing so Beardfish have started to establish themselves as a premier eclectic prog act.

The sound of Beardfish manages to be familiar yet incredibly fresh. Their contemporaries make very bright music for the most part, but the music in Part Two manages to seem happier, crisper, and just simply better than what’s come from the other eclectic acts lately. Oddly I think may in fact be a result of less of a focus on composition. For much of the album Beardfish seem to kick back and play, bringing an essence of playing for fun and pure lightheartedness (see: Transatlantic), rather than for a grand composition. However it’s not all fun and games for Beardfish. The album shows off some moments of odd composition and complexity, often moving from light fast moving passages to somehow dark and moody fronted sections.

The second track on the album, and the first proper song, “Into the Night” features some organ as a rhythm instrument through some of the verses, something very fresh and interesting as compared to the normal atmospheric chords that would normally be played. “South of the Border” is an interesting piece about a womanizer who is set up to take a night with a transsexual, and thus realizes he is gay. A variety of musical patterns keeps the song very fresh and it may be my favorite on the album. Lots of sound clips, interesting vocal parts, and a large change of pace near the end of the song keep it fresh and amusing, even if in the course you run into a part of two that make you laugh or cringe. “Cashflow” is the only full length instrumental on the album and suffers from being perhaps a bit too random, odd, and obnoxious. However it still gives a nice vocal-less feel of the groove which makes much of Beardfish’s music tick. “The Downward Spiral-Chimay” starts with a country twang that might seem out of place in most rock and metal, but for the highly unusual and eclectic Beardfish it only helps to strengthen the overall sound. Finally, we have the culmination of two albums, the thirty-five minute “Sleeping in Traffic”. The giant begins with the best instrumental section of the entire album, heavier than most other sections, and shows what the band can do in a bit more straight forward direction. Once the vocals kick in the song weaves through several different sections that seem much more brooding then the rest of the album, helping the lengthy song develop and build. Near the middle of the song the tension is slowly let out as the song mellows and lightens, even including a brilliant section documenting perfected what would happen if Beardfish emerged during the Disco rage. All in all the song is well constructed, many different interesting sections, my only complaint being I wish it would have used the buildup in the beginning better.

Overall I love the sound of the disc, well mixed and very crisp, which serves the band well. The songs stand out against one another, all having something special in their own rite. The instrumentation is not often intense, but is almost always very tasteful and well done. The highlight of the disc is that it can seem so familiar and yet so fresh, something any progressive rock fan will want to check out.

Nick’s Rating: 9.5/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: [Music] Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
i have been wanting to check this band out because id like to hear some of their music before PROG NATION. After reading this review, ill check em out this weekend because it sounds like something that i might be interested in. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
Getting this album before ProgNation is a must, they will have a new album in July and I would very much speculate that the set will be at least 75% either this albums or the new album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Getting this album before ProgNation is a must, they will have a new album in July and I would very much speculate that the set will be at least 75% either this albums or the new album.

sounds like a good plan :) if i enjoy these albums, i think this will be best concert ever with some great bands.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
Big bump here.

Just wanted to say this is a great review of a really great album. I've read some other reviews for it and a lot of them have called "South of the Border" one of the worst songs on the album, so I'm glad to see someone agreeing with me for once . I guess I just like Beardfish when they're at their most eccentric, so song's like "south of the Border" or "Sleeping in Traffic" are just a step above the rest of the album.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
Big fan of this album
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />