Author Topic: How did you get into DT?  (Read 28006 times)

Offline RobertD

How did you get into DT?
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »
Thought I'd start a topic.May have been done already.
How did everyone get into DT.Myself I discovered them by seeing JP at G3,and after a little research found out he had a band.In my opinion JP is the best guitarist on the scene today.Not only because of his technical proficeincy but also because of the raw emotion he applies to his phrases.

Offline DannyVaz

Re: How did you get into DT?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »
To be blatantly honest, The Glass Prison was the only intense heavy metal song on my friends MP3 player that didn't have swear words in it.

And since then my 8 year old brain has just never been the same.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
I feel bad that I didn't hear about them sooner, but basically I watched them play Instrumedely. Then suddenly Rudess did that ragtime thing, that was all it took.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
my dad was a fan.  I didn't like them at first, then I became a drummer, and started appreciating music more instead of just liking pop.  Now I hate pop, and dt is one of the only bands I listen to anymore.  Nothing else can compare.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »
my dad was a fan.  I didn't like them at first, then I became a drummer, and started appreciating music more instead of just liking pop.  Now I hate pop, and dt is one of the only bands I listen to anymore.  Nothing else can compare.

Give it time.

Offline Otnip

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »
My brother showed me TGP back when it was released. Thought it was badass, and I would kinda long to listen to the song again. The rest of SDOIT just didn't click with me at that age though.

Then, I bought Systematic Chaos in November, just to kinda recheck them out since I started listening to Symphony X. Listened to it half asleep on a car ride and woke up in love  :D
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order." -Douglas Noel Adams

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
I was having a band practice with my friend last summer. We all liked Rush, so my guitarist recommended this band called Dream Theater. I had heard of them before because another friend showed me a live version of Glass Prison, however, JLB's voice completely turned me off (and that performance STILL sucks... bad way to learn about DT). Anyway, I trusted this friend's musical tastes, so I agreed to listen to it. When I was driving him back home, he popped in Scenes from a Memory. I was in love. Been an avid fan since then and haven't looked back.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:38:44 PM »
I was drivin around with my drummer, and Solitary Shell came on. I was interested, but didn't pursue. Then a guitarist friend of ours started putting Octavarium on all the time the winter after it's release. I decided to go to a live show, and have been hooked since.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »
If I had a nickel for every thread like this started at this forum ever.....

Anyway, here's the deal.  Back in August 2005, I invited a friend of mine to my house to chill out, and so I could steal some of his music (at that point, about 80% of the music I listened to was by an artist he'd recommended). :biggrin:

Of three burned CDs he brought for me to rip, one was Train of Thought and the other was Awake.  That day, he tried to turn me on to Train of Thought by way of This Dying Soul.  The intro bored me to death because it seemed like a lot of noise for not much depth, and then seeing that there was still 10 minutes left to the song I decided no way.  However, I let him rip it anyway because he said I'd change my mind eventually.

So I kept Train of Thought on my computer and put my iTunes into shuffle mode while I played my favorite multiplayer FPS of the time (still is), Half-Life 2 Deathmatch.  During one of my matches, In the Name of God came up, and I decided I didn't wanna have to exit the game, skip the track, and then get back into the game.  I listened for a while and it got to the techno-sounds on JR's keyboard (just before "Justifying violence/Citing from the holy book"); now I thought that was fucking cool.  I decided to keep listening, and I fell in love with ItNoG.  I then discovered and loved SoC and Vacant, though the other tracks did take a while with me.

On a mad dash for more, I came back to the copy of Awake he burned me.  I popped it into, loved the first four tracks, and the rest is history. :hat
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
I heard Pull me Under on the Radio in 1992 got the album, saw them on tour and have been hooked since!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline j

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
1. One day I came across the name "Dream Theater" on the internet.  I thought it was a cool band name, but nothing more.

2. Several months later, I was somehow reminded that I had had a mild interest in at least checking out this band, solely because of the name.  I read a little about them and liked the descriptions of their music that I found, despite being a musical retard.  Still, I was very skeptical and had low expectations, because most music is shitty.

3. I downloaded several of their songs that I thought had cool names (man, I just realized that I used this lame criteria to determine everything I did when discovering DT), like In the Presence of Enemies, Stream of Consciousness, and Metropolis.  I was pretty much blown away, and gradually listened to all of their stuff and bought it.

4. The end.

-J

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
What were you searching that you came across Dream Theater so out of the blue like that? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Lots of lube.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
 :lol

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 09:20:43 PM »
After years of barely going deep into the metal genre (the extent of my metal was metallica and megadeth) my friend started recommending me stuff from different genres. Cool stuff here and there but nothing that blew me away.

One random summer night 3 years ago he decides to send me a Dream Theater song, Fatal Tragedy. I listened to it and it was just everything I had ever wanted in a song... Most bands take me awhile to attach to, but this just clicked instantly. The rest is history. 

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 09:21:04 PM »
My ex-girlfriend's friend had them playing in his car on the way to bowling.  I heard Portnoy's drums and was like, "Dude who is this!?"  He told me Dream Theater.  I got Images and Words and Train of Thought, loved them both.  That was 2004.

It pisses me off that I can't remember the song that was playing in the car.   :facepalm:

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline xterp

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
heard them on Pandora.

Offline j

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
What were you searching that you came across Dream Theater so out of the blue like that? :lol

:lol  That's a good question, and I have no idea dude.  I think actually I had heard of this guy John Petrucci being cited as "best guitarist ever" by some people, and when I was reading about him, I saw the band's name.  It's all kinda fuzzy, this was like a year ago.   :biggrin:

-J

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »
Back around senior year of high school/early freshman year of college, I was seeing two bands referenced seemingly everywhere I went online. One was DT, the other was Iced Earth. Deciding I may as well give it a try, I picked up A Change of Seasons on a whim shortly before Christmas break of freshman year, and my mind was blown. I instantly collected every other CD I could.

As for Iced Earth, I forgot about them until a few years later when I decided to see if lightning could strike twice, and I turned it off after two songs. I often wonder if I'd ever have given DT a try if I went with Iced Earth first.

*Edit* Technically, I heard them in sophomore year of high school when I watched my brother's History of Trunks DBZ DVD, and thought to myself "Maybe I should check this Dream Theater band out. . ." I then promptly forgot about them, but still recognized the songs when I bought SFAM years later.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
I remember it like it was yesterday, I was in the car going up to Maine for thanksgiving. My brother had me listen to The Glass prison, I loved it. At the time the rest of 6doit didn't click for me, so I kinda forgot about them for a while.....until I heard train of thought and I was sold.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
A friend of mine was a huge fan. I never paid attention but did download some songs: and listened to them in my mini disc: which I'm looking for the songs I had in there... (I'm listening to that mini disc... and you have no idea how COOL the transition from "Fuck Her Gently" by Tenacious D to "Love Song" by Tesla is. It's perfect!).

OK, so, I had "Fatal Tragedy", "Home" and "Pull Me Under". I listened to this disc ALL the time.
One summer this friend of mine lent me some of his CDs and in there there was Metropolis Pt: 2. I popped it in, lying on a bed (:tard). I closed my eyes and my life changed. The album even told me to OPEN MY EYES. Best musical experience I've ever had in my life. I then listened to LSFNY, bought the DVD at Blockbuster (which was really odd to find it there). The rest is history.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »
From this point on, if anyone asks me to introduce them to DT I'll just show them this. Anyone know where that's from?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:01 PM »
A friend who shared musical tastes with me raced over to my house with a cassette tape he had just bought after hearing Pull Me Under on the radio...he was so jazzed and I couldn't believe my ears.  I have been a fan ever since and my fanboism has only grown over the years...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »
My brother bought SDOIT shortly after it came out after reading a magazine review that compared TGP to Metallica. Never heard of em before. I pretty much stole the album the day he got it, and DT have been my favourite band ever since, that has been my favourite DT album ever since, and TGP is still my favourite DT song :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:44 AM »
I heard mp3s of 6:00 and Caught In A Web when I was taking my European Computer Driving License back in late 2000 - they were among the other mp3s in the shared folder on that student network. I liked what I heard and bought IaW and Awake. Listened a couple of times to both, I liked IaW a lot but never really got into Awake - more than the first songs. I put them back on the shelf for a few years.

Fast forward to spring 2007 when I heard some songs from Octavarium, got really interested again, started to listen to IaW again - loved it! - and the rest is history. I have been kind of obsessed by DT since then. I've been catching up on their entire catalogue over these two years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 12:49:31 AM »
In October 2005, I read a lot about it on a music forum and decided to buy Images And Words and Awake. Took a while to get used to them, but now they're one of my favourite bands.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 02:26:20 AM »
No matter what I've done the last few years, lots of people everywhere have been listening to DT. I thought I should check it out, and they are now one of my favorite bands. It took some time to get into their music, but now I think it's great.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline j

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 02:31:50 AM »
No matter what I've done the last few years, lots of people everywhere have been listening to DT.

What the shit?   :lol

You must live in a place that is far, far away from me.

-J

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 02:38:49 AM »

Give it time.

such very strong words...

i was the same way.. here i am... several years later.. blasting k-pop at home and in my car...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
I have to give some credit to the Metallica message board circa 2003! Actually, before then I had read reviews of DT on some metal websites but was worried they weren't going to be "heavy" enough for me (since I was an '80s thrash fan) but my tastes have broadened since then. Anyway, this guy on the Metallica board kept name-dropping Petrucci in the Hammett threads so FINALLY I took the plunge. Since Images and Words seemed to be their highest-rated album I started with that one. I'm glad I did so I didn't need to try to get into the band's catalog in reverse order. Anyway, it took a few listens for I & W to click, but when it did I realized DT was everything I had been lookng for in music.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
In 1992, a friend loaned me a copy of I&W.  The rest is history.....   :metal
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:02:36 AM by CoNsTaNt ChAoS »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 09:14:25 AM »

Give it time.

such very strong words...

i was the same way.. here i am... several years later.. blasting k-pop at home and in my car...

Same here, except now it's Britpop. :biggrin:

Offline Tsev Eyd Ecaps

• arrgh whats up with ya!!
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
Its a bit of a buzz kill but here we go.  Back in 06, a friend of one of my very good friends committed suicide.  He was a huge Dream Theater fan and actually got to go to RCMH earlier that year and see the performance on Score.  Anyways, after he passed away my buddies made a tribute video for him with The Spirit Carries On as the audio.  I thought it was beautiful and the solo blew me away.  So I saw them live, bought every album, and here i am now with the Majesty logo on my arm and Honor Thy Father lyrics on my chest.  Sorry for the story if anyone is bothered by it.

Swept away with the tide.
Through the holes in my hands.
Crown of thorns at my side.
Drawing lines in the sand.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
I heard Pull me Under on the Radio in 1992 got the album, saw them on tour and have been hooked since!

King, were you at those early Axis shows?

For me, I went to see Iron Maiden at the Ritz on 6/8/92. We got there early to get a good spot, which meant having to endure the opening band.
But then this group called Dream Theater hit the stage, and my musical life was changed forever!
My first 2 thoughts:
1. The drummer is awesome
2. The bass player is a madman
Serioulsy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kartmaze

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »
For me it was actually through a friend who showed me LTE - Acid Rain.
Then things escalated.