Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69486 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Dexter (TV Series)
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »
One of my friends recommended this show to me, and I wish I had been made aware of it sooner. I just got done watching Season 1 in the span of one night because it was so addicting. SPOILER FILLED THOUGHTS:

------------

- Part of me really wishes Dexter killed the ex-husband. He's truly the most miserable kind of person in existence.

- I think the plot arc involving the father is really interesting, where Dexter goes from revering him to thinking of his father as someone who betrayed him, even if subconsciously he knows he's wrong. From the audience perspective, it's interesting to learn more and more of his flaws over time.

- The Ice Truck Killer being Dexter's brother was a pretty solid twist. As was the idea of him wanting Dexter to kill Debra. Better than the ending to Seven if nothing else. Still though, why is every serial killer master plan plot never quite as cool as they make it seem? Couldn't Rudy decorate some? Dexter's murder rooms are pretty interesting.

- Considering the amount of on-screen deaths, is it pretty obvious that this fictionalized version of Miami has a higher murder rate than Washington DC even?

- There's something about the Ice Truck Killer that makes me really hate him. Even before he dies, he has this annoyingly unwavering confidence.

- Am I the only member of the audience really pulling for the Dexter/Rita relationship to somehow work out? They're actually really right for each other for some reason.

- I think sort of the big unsolved question with Dexter is to what degree he doesn't feel human emotion. The scene where he interrogates the Cuban couple about why their marriage works is pretty interesting. He seems to really want to know, but is so unable to understand he feels it's irrelevant

There's a lot of other stuff, but I'm tired.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
it's right up there with Mad Men as my favorite drama on TV, all four seasons have been top notch (especially the last one, with John Lithgow). I suggest you watch the next three seasons ASAP :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »
We download it and wait until the summer to watch it when there is nothing on.

Dokes..is by far the best character....of the season you are watching.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »
Season 1 is my favorite; it's basically perfection, as far as story-telling goes.  S1 > S2 > S4 > S3

You'll really enjoy season 2.  It's probably the most gripping of them.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
I'm not going to comment on your individual points, Reap, because I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Axeman's right, you need to watch the other seasons NAO.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Dexter (My dog)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »
Agreed. Season 2 was amazing, and season 4 was just so good, right up to the final seconds of the last episode. Season 3 was. . . It was there.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
Agreed. Season 2 was amazing, and season 4 was just so good, right up to the final seconds of the last episode. Season 3 was. . . It was there.

I didn't think it was all that bad. Definitely my least favorite of the four seasons, but still solid (especially Jimmy Smits playing Miguel
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
Wow.  I thought Season 3 kicked serious ass.  Miguel was amazing...he made everything so intense.  Only Season 2 beats it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
Wow.  I thought Season 3 kicked serious ass.  Miguel was amazing...he made everything so intense.  Only Season 2 beats it.

Miguel was amazing, I guess some of the other stuff just didn't live up imo. I'd put season 4 ahead of it as well because as good as Jimmy Smits was, John Lithgow *killed it*.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
John Lithgow's performance basically raped every other 'main' bad guy/girl's in the series.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline elyster

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
Agreeing with the idea of watching rest of the series ASAP.

One of my favorite series on TV these days.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
I just finished blazing through series 1-3.  Friends had told me how great it was and the premise sounded right up my alley.  Unfortunately, I found it to be a case where the concept was great but the execution was merely "TV."  Enjoyable, but it didn't exactly shake the foundations of my televised world.  Oddly enough, I found something different to like in each season.  The casting of Dexter was solid, but I found Jimmy Smits pitch perfect as his character in season 3.  Damn, did he sell it.

I'd give 'em all a 7/10.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
Unfortunately, I found it to be a case where the concept was great but the execution was merely "TV."

I don't agree. Dexter is way more edgy and psychologically truthful than almost every other TV show I've seen. While I would say that it hasn't yet transcended the TV format like Battlestar Galactica did, it's good enough that I don't think you can say it's "merely" TV. This show proves how good TV can be if it's done well, which I greatly appreciate.
Over and over again

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »
I often find TV to be a better story telling format than movies. And while most TV is forgettable, my top 3 TV shows far surpass my top 3 movies, but this is all just opinion.

Dexter is probably my favorite show on TV atm. The ending of season 4 was absolutely brutal, and I can easily see season 5 being the peak of the series.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
Love the series with a passion. I had to soldier through the third season, but the fourth was great.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »
Excellent show. Nothing else to say. Engaging characters, amazingly well done plot twists. I have no idea how they'll continue the series after 4, but I am very eagerly waiting.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »
The police captain sounds like Robert Stack doing a bad Tom Brokaw impersonation.

Also, are we sure Rita thinks Dexter is an addict due to real evidence or her own personal demons. Dexter is obviously emotinally disturbed, but I'm not sure he acts like a drug addict.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:23:52 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »
Unfortunately, I found it to be a case where the concept was great but the execution was merely "TV."

I don't agree. Dexter is way more edgy and psychologically truthful than almost every other TV show I've seen. While I would say that it hasn't yet transcended the TV format like Battlestar Galactica did, it's good enough that I don't think you can say it's "merely" TV. This show proves how good TV can be if it's done well, which I greatly appreciate.

Well I don't agree with your disagreement.  Edgy?  Not quite.  Through most of the first season, I felt like I was watching a neutered version of American Psycho.  The Patrick Bateman reference is even made (as his alias when ordering a certain drug of choice).  As I said before, there were a lot of good ideas.  Let's take an example . . . Dexter's foster father shaping him into the man he is today.  Sounds interesting, but the flashbacks feel more like we're dealing with a caricature of a kid with violent tendencies, rather than the real thing.  Given the subject matter, they should've went a darker and more subtle route.  But it's a show, they want viewers and they're going to go the route that gives him mass appeal.  The humor's a little too easy and the darkness of the character glossed over at times.  I feel like the show's missing a serious pair of authentic balls.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like it, but for me this is what's holding it back.  And I also seem to be in the minority as well.  Take Season 3 for example.  Seems to be the worst season so far, but I found the character of Miguel to be a fascinating character study, especially his relationship with Dexter.

And while I agree TV has a great advantage over movies in that it has the time really dig in and flesh out its story and characters, it falters in other areas.  Because it's given so much time, it's hard to stay consistently good.  TV doesn't have the budget of a movie, so things like action or special effects and the look aren't up to par.  They've gotten better over the years, but they're not quite there yet.  Still with that said, I'm definitely looking forward to sitting down and watching Season 4.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 12:35:18 AM »

Miguel was amazing, I guess some of the other stuff just didn't live up imo. I'd put season 4 ahead of it as well because as good as Jimmy Smits was, John Lithgow *killed it*.

Jimmy Smits had probably my favorite line in all of television.

"I am the LAST person you want to FUCK with, because I will FUCK YOU BACK in ways you can't even IMAGINE!!"  He's like foaming at the mouth as he's screaming it...meanwhile, I'm laughing hysterically while still realizing that, funny as it sounded, it's still incredibly badass.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:58 AM »

<snip>

I think the shows light-heartedness and dark humor is what makes it so great.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:45 AM »
Proving I have no life, I finished Season 2.

Again, wow. SPOILERS AHEAD:

------------

- Paul died!!!

- Lundy is such a great character.

- Lila was mentally and emotionally gone in a way even Dexter isn't.

- It's 100% confirmed that Deb has serious daddy issues. You can't blame her though. Harry wasn't as devoted to her as he was to Dexter.

- We continue to find fun new wrinkles in Harry's past.

- It's kind of funny that, for all we're supposed to really get inside Dexter's head and understand how he thinks, his direct conversations with Doakes while in serial killer mode reveal that he's utterly insane, right or not.

- Poor Doakes. It's one thing if he tries to play ball with Dexter and looses. Right or wrong, actions have consequences. It's another to just get killed by Lila because she's unstable. As questionable a person as Doakes was, he got an awful hand of fate dealt to him.

- In maybe the season's best philosophical moment, we're left to really wonder if Dexter being alive is a good thing. He's there for Rita and the kids and his sister and Angel, but Doakes got screwed, Angel almost got screwed, Lila arguably went crazy because of him (although someone would have eventually done it), Paul kinda sorta died because of him, and LeGuerta acted like a human being for maybe the first time in the show because Doakes's death meant something to her.

And so, we're off into Season 3. By the way, for Battlestar fans, wasn't watching Crashdown in Season 1 of Dexter pretty fun? Sam Witwer is a pretty solid actor.
Over and over again

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »
Proving I have no life, I finished Season 2.

I would say it proves how great a show Dexter is, I finished the 4th season in two days because you just can't stop yourself from watching it. Season 2 had a lot of great suspense in it, I like it better than the 1st season but I still like the next two seasons better. Don't be so quick to call out Dexter either, the real crazies are on the way ::)

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »

And so, we're off into Season 3. By the way, for Battlestar fans, wasn't watching Crashdown in Season 1 of Dexter pretty fun? Sam Witwer is a pretty solid actor.

Ever since The Force Unleashed (yeah, I'm that nerd) I've been keeping track of the guy.  He's really a solid little actor.  This, BSG, The Mist as well . . . very cool.

SEASON 2 SPOILERS

I also felt the scene where Dexter headbutts Doakes was one of the most badass moments in TV history.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:51 AM »

Ever since The Force Unleashed (yeah, I'm that nerd) I've been keeping track of the guy.  He's really a solid little actor.  This, BSG, The Mist as well . . . very cool.

SEASON 2 SPOILERS

I also felt the scene where Dexter headbutts Doakes was one of the most badass moments in TV history.
I OWN YOU *BONK*

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
Tonight's the night, can't wait to get my homicidal murderer on.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
SO EXCITED

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
OH GOD I TOTALLY FORGOT IT WAS STARTING SO SOON

Oh dear, who's going to clean up all this semen from what came from my person

Offline LTE

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
My girlfriend got me into it. Dexter is almost as good a serial-killer character as Patrick Bateman, but I really enjoy the show. I watched the first and second season, haven't seen the third. But finished the fourth.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
I remember watching season 4, the final episode when it came out. Holy fuck, my body wasn't ready.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »
yeah, that was a depressing night.

Offline LTE

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »
She was too bitchy anyway.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:14 PM »
She was too bitchy anyway.
Rita was the best them!

Although Lila... the things I would've done to her!

I've watch all the season this year and I absolutely love this show! Dexter is awesome, and the changes he has undertaken throughout the series are very well made.

Masuka = :metal (if you disagree you are wrong and you should feel bad, also "Science is one cold-hearted bitch, with a 14 inch strap on." and " I got a reputation to live up to. I mean if my show does not make people vomit and have an erection at the same time then I've let my audience down.")

Season 3 was my least favorite so far, I don't know it was just there.

John Lithgow's performance basically raped every other 'main' bad guy/girl's in the series.
Amen. Season 4 was the best season by far!

Will watch the encore of the season 5 premiere in 30 minutes so I'm staying away from spoilers.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
I watched the first episode of this tonight, I like it and will spend most of tomorrow watching more!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 09:59:19 PM »
Just watched the season premiere... going SPOILERS:

Before spoilers I've gotta say that the interactions between Dexter and Harry are my favorite part of every show.

While this was a good episode, this seems more like a season finale than a season premiere, it basically wraps up the whole "Rita is dead" thing (yes it is more than likely that this will be a major theme this season which will basically define his interactions with Astor and Cody, but still). I think this season should've started with Quinn in full investigation of Dexter.

Also, wasn't it weird that Dexter broke every rule in Harry's code and what Harry says to him is "that's the most human thing you've done". I hope they don't just completely forget what just happened here.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:11:13 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
The quality of the writing was a noticeable step down from last season. I'm starting to worry that Clyde Phillips leaving the show might be a bigger factor than I thought it was be.
Over and over again