Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69467 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #525 on: December 31, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »
It still pisses me off that they botched the final season of this show so badly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »
They usually did a great job with casting, but the actor who played Oliver Saxon was awful.  It's like he played the role as a total cliche, where when he was being the bad guy, he was like a villain in a silent movie with the over the top and absurd facial expressions, and when he was pretending to be the good guy, it came off as a guy trying too hard to act "good" and was just awful.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #527 on: January 01, 2018, 06:06:38 AM »
I do think the end of S6 was one of his best kill scenes ever (and not because Deb walked in on him), when he killed Travis.  Michael C. Hall's delivery was always amazing and he absolutely kills it in that scene (no pun intended).

Absolutely! he totally OWNED the fanatic, and not only because he was about to kill him.

If you allow me a comparison between Dexter's seasons and Metallica's carreer, I'd say...

Season 1, 2 and 4 are Ride, Master and Justice. The classic stuff.
Season 3 is either Kill 'em All or the Black Album. Maybe not the favorite of the majority, but still a lot of good stuff.
Season 5 and 6 are Load and Reload. People complaining a lot about it back in the time, but when you look back at it, there were many good things.
Season 7 is Hardwire to Self Destruct. Can't believe this late in the game they pull out something so strong.
Season 8 is St. Anger. A goddamn bloody disaster.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:12:32 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #528 on: January 02, 2018, 02:47:07 AM »
I'd rank em as.

2 > 1 > 7 > 4 >>> 5 > 3 >>> 6 >8.

Offline krands85

« Reply #529 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:37 AM »
4>1/2>>>3>>>>5>>>>>7>>>>>>>>>>>>6>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
Nice work there, MirrorMask. :tup :tup

I still say 1 and 2 are neck and neck for the top spot, with 1 getting the slight edge because it had the better season finale, with 4 just behind both.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #531 on: January 03, 2018, 04:12:53 AM »
Thanks!

Season 1 was essentially perfect. Season 4 is awesome also because of the best villain of the series, but the chain of events that wanted Rita back alone at home were kinda contrived.

Some years have passed now and I still think it's a shame that Dexter was never exposed. Imagine how powerful of a scene would have been him being busted, arrested, and people coming into the interrogation room or whatever to confront him. His family and friends telling to his face how they felt betrayed and cheated, him trying to explain that his affection for them was genuine.

Making Season 2 about him being almost discovered was a great and daring move back then, but in indsight it jeopardized the reveal for future season and made it less impactful, especially with the issue reappearing in seaason 7. As said above the season should have followed directly LaGuerta's death. Angel should have figured out, it could have taken a hint from an offhand remark of Masuka ("Sure Dexter brings bad luck... everyone going against him wound up dead") and that thing bugging him at night to the point that he starts doing some investigation on himself.

Dexter, being the almost ninja that he is, could have escaped his incarceration, and the best outcome would have been for him to die in order to protect Debra. Until he was the "perfect" serial killer, Dexter was basically flawless, never being caught, never even coming remotely close to risk it. The more he opened up to humanity, the more he made mistakes, and that should have been the bitter irony: that as a serial killer and a "monster" he was untouchable, and that the ultimate act of selfless love and humanity, trying to protect the person he cared the most for (his sister) would cost him his life. That way both his sides, the good and the bad, would have been exposed. People would have known that he was a monster capable of love, rather than "geeky lab guy who gost lost in a hurricane".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #532 on: January 03, 2018, 04:32:25 AM »
I've always found Season 4 ever so slightly overrated - It's still very good, but for me it's the weakest of the very good seasons (see my ratings above).  Lithgow as the Trinity killer is awesome, no question, having Lundy back (for a little while) is good too - and the ending is amazing......but there are a few flat episodes in the middle where Dexter basically goes full on Columbo on Trinity, stalking him and 'inserting' himself in to his life.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #533 on: January 03, 2018, 04:34:05 AM »
Still, from that we got the most awesome Thanksgiving ever: "I should have fucking killed you when I had the chance"  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #534 on: January 03, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
As great as that is, my favorite line of his there is when he wraps the belt around Arthur's neck and yells, "Get the fuck OFF HIM!"  That is when you are like, yeah, get 'em!! :metal :metal

I agree with soupytwist regarding the Dexter/Trinity scenes where Dexter is trying to get to know him; many of them just aren't that interesting when rewatching the series.

And I totally agree about Season 5.  There should have been one season after Rita's death, where Dexter was exposed as Kyle Butler and eventually the Bay Harbor Butcher.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #535 on: April 26, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »
Just started watching the show.

Me likey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #536 on: April 26, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »

Me likey

First two seasons are up there with the best of anything that's ever been seen on TV.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #537 on: April 26, 2018, 07:44:49 PM »

Me likey

Just repeat after me, "There are only four seasons of Dexter. There are only four seasons of Dexter. There are only four seasons of Dexter".
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #538 on: April 26, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »

Me likey

First two seasons are up there with the best of anything that's ever been seen on TV.

For sure.  Season 4 is great, too, but the first two are just so special.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #539 on: January 06, 2020, 11:05:41 PM »
Rewatching Season 5.

I was an ardent hater of season 5 when it came out. Yes, it really jumps the shark, more so than previous seasons, I don’t think they handled the first episode of the season very well, I don’t think Julia Stiles is a good actress and her character kinda drags it down....

BUT

I don’t hate it as much as I used to, in fact, I think it’s a pretty good season overall. It’s nowhere near as bad as I remember it. I don’t like Lumen, but the Jordan Chase storyline is pretty good, the Liddy/Quinn storyline is pretty good as well as Santa Muerte. When it came out, it just paled in comparison to season 4. I always watched it through the lens of coming off Season 4. I remember when it came out, I made a big deal out of it. I ordered pizza and sat down, looking forward to the continuation of the previous Winter, then the season started.....It doesn’t live up to the greatness of what came before and is the start of the downfall of the series, but it’s not as bad as I remember.

I still can’t forgive the stupidity of Dexter putting Lumen in his and Rita’s house.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #540 on: October 19, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
A Dexter Limited Series is coming next Fall (hopefully). It’ll pick up where season 8 left off. It’s with the original show runner too who left after season 4. I’m hoping it’s good! I kinda laugh when they say it’s not Season 9 or a do over but more to do with the “hunger for Dexter that is out there”

No, it’s because you know they messed up the ending and people aren’t happy with it, so you are going to do a different conclusion.

I’m excited to see it though! I loved Dexter when it was good!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #541 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:44 AM »
It should have pretended that Season 8 never existed. I welcome more Dexter done good, but they royally screwed up the series and the comparison with another series ended in 2013, a certain Breaking Bad, was merciless.

Also, Deb gone, Dexter presumed dead, will he show up again in Florida or be a killer of lumberjack killers? I know I'll watch it but meh, they totalyl messed up the ending, especially after such a strong and "back on track" season 7. That's like Metallica doing St. Anger right after Hardwired.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2020, 07:42:32 AM »
Finally started watching this. I’m 6 episodes in. I’m digging it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #543 on: October 25, 2020, 07:47:46 AM »
The first four seasons are all kinds of awesome (just the third is slightly sub par). The last four are hit and miss, they're not that bad and especially season 7 was very good and a return to form. Season 8 is Game of Thrones ending levels of bad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: October 25, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »
The first four seasons are all kinds of awesome (just the third is slightly sub par). The last four are hit and miss, they're not that bad and especially season 7 was very good and a return to form. Season 8 is Game of Thrones ending levels of bad.

I've heard this. My brother is a big fan of the series but he wishes that the last season was never made.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: November 06, 2020, 12:05:28 PM »
Through two seasons.....I really dig it. I've found some of the storyline to be pretty predictable but all in all it's a fun series. I like the narration that Dexter gives and getting a glimpse into his mind and how his thought process goes. Pretty interesting. I do find the level of loyalty by Rita borderline unbelievable though. Her bounce back from Dexter cheating on her was saint like....I'm not sure many women would be so quick to just forgive and forget.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #546 on: November 06, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »
Rita is damaged however. She had a very bad marriage (and violent, if I remember correctly). Heck, the reason Dexter even went for her in the first place is that she didn't want to have sex and he didn't have to pretend an intiimacy he didn't have. I guess it's forgiveable for Rita, after all she went through, "suck it up" and stick with a decent and good man.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: November 06, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »
Rita is damaged however. She had a very bad marriage (and violent, if I remember correctly). Heck, the reason Dexter even went for her in the first place is that she didn't want to have sex and he didn't have to pretend an intiimacy he didn't have. I guess it's forgiveable for Rita, after all she went through, "suck it up" and stick with a decent and good man.

It's understandable given her history.....it just seemed like really quick forgiveness in the aspect of Dexter sleeping with someone else. It felt rushed on screen....but then again I'm binging 3 and 4 episodes at a time so maybe it wasn't?  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: November 13, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »
I have four episodes left to go in S4. I've heard that the ending of this season with the Trinity Killer is REALLY good so I'm looking forward to wrapping this one up tonight.

It's a really fun series....I like the 'growth' of Dexter and him slowly experiencing the emotions of a 'real' person and trying to integrate them into his life.

Online faizoff

« Reply #549 on: November 13, 2020, 08:43:05 AM »
As I'm sure everyone has told you S4 is the pinnacle and it only goes down from there. I personally was ok with the following seasons, each season wasn't very consistent but overall they were still mostly enjoyable. I think each season of 5, 6 & 7 had some really good elements in them to make it worthwhile. Season 8 was the one where it was just not done well at all at several levels, story, acting, plots were all over the place and of course the ending is just kinda.. blah.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: November 13, 2020, 09:40:07 AM »
As I'm sure everyone has told you S4 is the pinnacle and it only goes down from there. I personally was ok with the following seasons, each season wasn't very consistent but overall they were still mostly enjoyable. I think each season of 5, 6 & 7 had some really good elements in them to make it worthwhile. Season 8 was the one where it was just not done well at all at several levels, story, acting, plots were all over the place and of course the ending is just kinda.. blah.

yeah....I'm aware of the impending trend downward. I'll most likely just hammer it all out and call it even. If it gets too bad I'll catch the cliff notes and wait for the upcoming bonus season. But at the moment I'm good with the time investment.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #551 on: November 13, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »
I remember comparing the seasons to Metallica albums... season 5 and 6 were Load and Reload - yeah, not that great, but once the shock passed you can find good stuff here and there. Season 7 was like Hardwired - a great return to form that nobody could imagine.

......Season 8 is St. Anger however.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #552 on: November 13, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
......Season 8 is St. Anger however.

Lulu!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #553 on: November 14, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
I have four episodes left to go in S4. I've heard that the ending of this season with the Trinity Killer is REALLY good so I'm looking forward to wrapping this one up tonight.

It's a really fun series....I like the 'growth' of Dexter and him slowly experiencing the emotions of a 'real' person and trying to integrate them into his life.

Good to see you're enjoying this!

Let us know when you finish Season 4.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: November 14, 2020, 09:31:41 AM »

Good to see you're enjoying this!

Let us know when you finish Season 4.

Was hoping to do it last night but was unable. Perhaps tonight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: November 14, 2020, 10:28:50 PM »
Yeah.....can’t say I wasn’t expecting that. I had a hunch Arthur was going to exact some sort of devastation to Dexter.  Glad it was just Rita. Great season though. Gonna get one mor episode in to see the aftermath.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #556 on: November 15, 2020, 02:51:09 AM »
Yeah.....can’t say I wasn’t expecting that. I had a hunch Arthur was going to exact some sort of devastation to Dexter.  Glad it was just Rita. Great season though. Gonna get one mor episode in to see the aftermath.

And what about the penultimate episode? Arthur turning the cat-and-mouse game upon Dexter, stalking him, entering the police station and then...........

"Hello..... Dexter Morgan"  :(

That was the indication that some shit was about to go down.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: November 15, 2020, 05:57:20 AM »

And what about the penultimate episode? Arthur turning the cat-and-mouse game upon Dexter, stalking him, entering the police station and then...........

"Hello..... Dexter Morgan"  :(

That was the indication that some shit was about to go down.

Oh yeah....that was fun as well. Very neat character in Arthur. Huge balls to stroll into the station and view the HQ where his life’s work was displayed then confront Dexter.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #558 on: November 15, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »
The "Hello...Dexter Morgan" moment is one of the greatest Dexter moments ever. Simply amazing.

Poor Rita.  Had to deal with an abusive husband, and then gets murdered by a serial killer thanks in large part due to her (unbeknownst to her) serial killer second husband.  At least she went to her grave never knowing who and what Dexter really was.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: November 15, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »
While it was sad and heartbreaking to see Rita be killed....I have to admit that there were several moments in the show I just didn’t ‘buy’ how patient and understanding she was. There were moments that her behavior just didn’t make sense...no matter how sweet a person she was. I understand her history shaped her into the timid, kind....understanding person she was but I think they stretched that character trait a few times to the level of unbelievable for me.