Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 35980 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #525 on: December 31, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »
It still pisses me off that they botched the final season of this show so badly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »
They usually did a great job with casting, but the actor who played Oliver Saxon was awful.  It's like he played the role as a total cliche, where when he was being the bad guy, he was like a villain in a silent movie with the over the top and absurd facial expressions, and when he was pretending to be the good guy, it came off as a guy trying too hard to act "good" and was just awful.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #527 on: January 01, 2018, 06:06:38 AM »
I do think the end of S6 was one of his best kill scenes ever (and not because Deb walked in on him), when he killed Travis.  Michael C. Hall's delivery was always amazing and he absolutely kills it in that scene (no pun intended).

Absolutely! he totally OWNED the fanatic, and not only because he was about to kill him.

If you allow me a comparison between Dexter's seasons and Metallica's carreer, I'd say...

Season 1, 2 and 4 are Ride, Master and Justice. The classic stuff.
Season 3 is either Kill 'em All or the Black Album. Maybe not the favorite of the majority, but still a lot of good stuff.
Season 5 and 6 are Load and Reload. People complaining a lot about it back in the time, but when you look back at it, there were many good things.
Season 7 is Hardwire to Self Destruct. Can't believe this late in the game they pull out something so strong.
Season 8 is St. Anger. A goddamn bloody disaster.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:12:32 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• cockblocking ass
« Reply #528 on: January 02, 2018, 02:47:07 AM »
I'd rank em as.

2 > 1 > 7 > 4 >>> 5 > 3 >>> 6 >8.

Offline krands85

« Reply #529 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:37 AM »
4>1/2>>>3>>>>5>>>>>7>>>>>>>>>>>>6>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
Nice work there, MirrorMask. :tup :tup

I still say 1 and 2 are neck and neck for the top spot, with 1 getting the slight edge because it had the better season finale, with 4 just behind both.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #531 on: January 03, 2018, 04:12:53 AM »
Thanks!

Season 1 was essentially perfect. Season 4 is awesome also because of the best villain of the series, but the chain of events that wanted Rita back alone at home were kinda contrived.

Some years have passed now and I still think it's a shame that Dexter was never exposed. Imagine how powerful of a scene would have been him being busted, arrested, and people coming into the interrogation room or whatever to confront him. His family and friends telling to his face how they felt betrayed and cheated, him trying to explain that his affection for them was genuine.

Making Season 2 about him being almost discovered was a great and daring move back then, but in indsight it jeopardized the reveal for future season and made it less impactful, especially with the issue reappearing in seaason 7. As said above the season should have followed directly LaGuerta's death. Angel should have figured out, it could have taken a hint from an offhand remark of Masuka ("Sure Dexter brings bad luck... everyone going against him wound up dead") and that thing bugging him at night to the point that he starts doing some investigation on himself.

Dexter, being the almost ninja that he is, could have escaped his incarceration, and the best outcome would have been for him to die in order to protect Debra. Until he was the "perfect" serial killer, Dexter was basically flawless, never being caught, never even coming remotely close to risk it. The more he opened up to humanity, the more he made mistakes, and that should have been the bitter irony: that as a serial killer and a "monster" he was untouchable, and that the ultimate act of selfless love and humanity, trying to protect the person he cared the most for (his sister) would cost him his life. That way both his sides, the good and the bad, would have been exposed. People would have known that he was a monster capable of love, rather than "geeky lab guy who gost lost in a hurricane".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• cockblocking ass
« Reply #532 on: January 03, 2018, 04:32:25 AM »
I've always found Season 4 ever so slightly overrated - It's still very good, but for me it's the weakest of the very good seasons (see my ratings above).  Lithgow as the Trinity killer is awesome, no question, having Lundy back (for a little while) is good too - and the ending is amazing......but there are a few flat episodes in the middle where Dexter basically goes full on Columbo on Trinity, stalking him and 'inserting' himself in to his life.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #533 on: January 03, 2018, 04:34:05 AM »
Still, from that we got the most awesome Thanksgiving ever: "I should have fucking killed you when I had the chance"  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #534 on: January 03, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
As great as that is, my favorite line of his there is when he wraps the belt around Arthur's neck and yells, "Get the fuck OFF HIM!"  That is when you are like, yeah, get 'em!! :metal :metal

I agree with soupytwist regarding the Dexter/Trinity scenes where Dexter is trying to get to know him; many of them just aren't that interesting when rewatching the series.

And I totally agree about Season 5.  There should have been one season after Rita's death, where Dexter was exposed as Kyle Butler and eventually the Bay Harbor Butcher.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #535 on: April 26, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »
Just started watching the show.

Me likey
Don't play with me, cause you're playing with fire

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #536 on: April 26, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »

Me likey

First two seasons are up there with the best of anything that's ever been seen on TV.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #537 on: April 26, 2018, 07:44:49 PM »

Me likey

Just repeat after me, "There are only four seasons of Dexter. There are only four seasons of Dexter. There are only four seasons of Dexter".
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #538 on: April 26, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »

Me likey

First two seasons are up there with the best of anything that's ever been seen on TV.

For sure.  Season 4 is great, too, but the first two are just so special.