Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69920 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #455 on: February 16, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »
And I hate how the writers just hit reset with every new season and completely forget about events that happened before and even murderers they left free and then they retcon Dexter's "origin story" with the whole Vogel thing. ugh!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
That's weird, cause I've liked the continuity from season to season (although, again, I am referencing only 1-4), like how the ice truck killer story is always somewhat of a factor, even though it happened all the way back in Season 1.  However, the Maria/Angel romance was one of those "okay, where did that come from?" moments. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #457 on: February 16, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
My biggest problem with the show is how much of a dumb cunt Dexter becomes over the last few seasons. Like, it seems like he forgets the most basic of things about what made him at the very minimum a successful serial killer.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #458 on: February 16, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
 :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #459 on: February 16, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »
I've decided, rather than suffer through four seasons of what most call not good TV, I am gonna just read the reviews of each season online, and then I'll watch the key moments/episodes that happened over the last four seasons on Netflix.  It really is a shame the show went downhill like that, since the first four seasons would have made it one of the best shows ever (and is still might be).
I'd recommend watching any episodes with Stan Liddy (season five) or Isaak Sirko (season seven) in them. Those characters made their respective seasons much more watchable.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #460 on: February 16, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
Oh my. :lol

I've decided, rather than suffer through four seasons of what most call not good TV, I am gonna just read the reviews of each season online, and then I'll watch the key moments/episodes that happened over the last four seasons on Netflix.  It really is a shame the show went downhill like that, since the first four seasons would have made it one of the best shows ever (and is still might be).

Better yet, just read a description of the ending of the last episode. I haven't seen it but my friend described it in great detail and it's hilariously bad.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
I haven't seen Season 7 but yes.................Stan Liddy was hilarious.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: February 16, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »

Better yet, just read a description of the ending of the last episode.

I have.  It doesn't sound as awful as I would have thought, especially if you take out the last scene.  In other words, had Dexter actually died to save his son from himself, instead of faking his own death and becoming a lumberback (really? :rollin :rollin), it probably would have gone over a little better, even if the last season as a whole was as bad as most said it was.  On paper, not sure how I feel about Debra dying in the final episode.

Ultimately though, when I was at the very beginning of Season 1, my thought was, Dexter has to die and/or get outed to everyone as a serial killer.  And neither of those things happen.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #463 on: February 17, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »
I think everyone felt the same thing, either he has to get killed by some other serial killer, ideally doing the same thing as him, or be caught.
It looked like it was heading in the direction of a really thrilling conclusion to that at the end of S6. Dexter had killed some people that didn't fit "the code" and had been more on impulse, deb had caught him, all it needed was a serial killer that was smarter than him and deb trying to lead the police to uncovering him and it would have been really thrilling to find out which happens first. Instead we got that shitty "hmm what does imaginary stepdad say" dialogue pointing out everything at every moment, followed by the writers avoiding the obvious 2 conclusions which could have been done really well and leaving us with that damn lumberjack crap. Hannah shouldn't have forgiven him for what he did, she should have been the serial killer that got to him!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #464 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
In the end, I think they were trying to make Dexter live in his own torment in having to be surrounded by the sound of chainsaws for the rest of his life, ending the circle--he witnessed his mom being killed with a chainsaw, now he's forever surrounded by that sound as a lumberjack....but really? A lumberjack is the ending....  :(
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #465 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:49 AM »
that lessens the sucktitude of the last season/episode by about .001%
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #466 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »
Pretty much. The explanation didn't change much for me either
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: February 17, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
One thing is for sure about this show: every time Dexter and Doakes had any type of verbal interaction, it was awesome.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: February 17, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
Surprise, motherfucker!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #470 on: February 18, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
I always thought a good ending to the show would be Harrison killing Dexter in the same way Dexter killed his victims.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #471 on: February 19, 2014, 04:33:01 AM »
?? How would that even work?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #472 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
ever seen Pet Sematary?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: February 20, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
Yeah, Dexter getting killed by his 5-year old son definitely would have been a great ending. :lol :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #474 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:15 AM »
Oh, Harrison. Pretty much neglected by his father and being raised by Batista's sister since season 6 and his "loving" father thought it was a good idea to leave him to finished growing up with a wanted fugitive who makes no attempt to conceal her identity as a surrogate mother.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
I'm bumping this just to say that James LaBrie wrote a better ending to Dexter than the actual writers did.

I was just listening to Coming Home and I just thought: "Man, that's a way better ending than Dexter becoming a lumberjack..."
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #476 on: April 07, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »
I had no problem with the ending.
Quite simply you can't please everyone.
It had to end.

and...we are left with a lose end for a possible return.
the glass is half full people
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #477 on: April 07, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »
Meh, they seemingly didn't please (hardly) anyone.

As for a possible return..no, it's over.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
I finally (FINALLY) managed to slog through Season 8 and finish this thing up. It's pretty sad that the show that kept me binging on 5 episodes at a time in seasons 1, 2, and 4 became such a chore to watch in season 8, but I must say the finale wasn't NEARLY as bad as people were making it out to be. The episode itself (along with the one before it) was pretty solid with a lot of adrenaline-pumping moments like season 2 and 4's finales, and the ending with Deb is honestly even more crushing than Rita.

Sweet fucking jesus though. A lumberjack? They should have just ended it after the hurricane and Hannah reading it in the news.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #479 on: August 26, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
Has anyone here read any of the books?

If not, you might like them.

I'm currently about 2/3 finished with the second one.

There are major differences from the TV series.

A major character that died late in the series dies in the first novel.

As for the second one: imagine the worst thing you might do to someone without actually killing them.
Then multiply that by at least TEN.
That might give some idea of what this psycho-and I don't mean Dexter-does to his victims.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
Reading all this I must say  :omg:

I finished season 8 last week and I thought it was decent, as were the seasons 5-7. Maybe not so good as the first four, but far from terrible. Reading all the comments here one must get the feeling that from season 5 on the series is the biggest pile of crap ever to be shown on tv  ;D

OK, the lumberjack ending is at least questionable. As mentioned the writers said there will be no season 9 but this looks like it was the studio's will to at least have an open ending, so that there is a possibility for further Dexter sometime in the future.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #481 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »

I finished season 8 last week and I thought it was decent, as were the seasons 5-7. Maybe not so good as the first four, but far from terrible. Reading all the comments here one must get the feeling that from season 5 on the series is the biggest pile of crap ever to be shown on tv  ;D

OK, the lumberjack ending is at least questionable. As mentioned the writers said there will be no season 9 but this looks like it was the studio's will to at least have an open ending, so that there is a possibility for further Dexter sometime in the future.
Yeah, often I find that fan reactions to things on the internet are much more extreme (either positive or negative). I'm not sure if this would apply to you but I tend to find that when I get to watch something all at once on DVD / Blu-ray etc. (especially being able to watch multiple seasons in a row) I tend to enjoy supposedly "bad" seasons much more and not perceive the huge differences in quality that people who watched week to week and year to year (so have time build expectations and to ruminate on each episode / season) seem to.

Seasons 5-7 were a decline from the peak reached in Season 4, but I still found the show good overall and enjoyed each season (although they all had their flaws). It was only Season 8 that I really think was bad. It wasn't the last episode or the very end specifically that did that (lumberjack Dexter may not be the most satisfying conclusion, but I can still imagine a good ending where that is the final destination), it was just the season as a whole that was very lackluster, and at times it even felt like it was much more poorly produced than previous seasons (I was noticing weird / bad things in the editing, music etc., and I'm not someone that ever goes out of my way to think about things like that).

My guess is that one reason everything after Season 4 being not worth watching gets perpetuated is: for many there was a very big drop-off between the story of Season 4 and Season 5, it's generally considered to decline from that point on rather than get better again, and because the last season / finale was so poorly recieved there isn't some bonus payoff for getting through the whole thing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #482 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
Well, after Season 4, all of the main creative force behind the show leaved so...

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #483 on: August 27, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
Well, after Season 4, all of the main creative force behind the show leaved so...

Don't worry guys, I'm on it:

But yeah I agree.  :D

RIP DTP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #484 on: August 27, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »

I agree with you that 5-8 were decent but, still, it was a big leap of quality after S4 (for worse).
The ending sucked though, i just pretend it never happened  :\
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:26:26 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #485 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »
Season eight was just a huge mess. Spoilers for those who haven't watched it and care.

Instead of giving it a clear focus, it just jumped around to a bunch of things and, while some of those plots could have been interesting (Zach as a protege could have been something), they weren't given enough space to really develop the idea and flesh it out before it was dumped and something else shoehorned in to replace it. Compare this to earlier seasons where there is usually one primary plot point for the season, and then some secondary plots running alongside, making those seasons feel much more concise.

There were some really retarded things in the final season, too. Like Dexter and Hannah fleeing Miami via the airport when Hannah is a wanted fugitive and the authorities know that she's in Miami and are looking for her. The whole time I was watching this I was thinking "why would either of these people be stupid enough to go to an airport, even with fake ID there's no way security wouldn't know to keep an eye out for someone with her description." Then it becomes even more unbelievable when she makes it onto a plane without issue.

That's pretty much season eight in a nutshell: retarded fucking things happening one after the other that make me go :facepalm:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »
What RuRoRul said, watching the episodes on dvd, sometimes four in a row, may have helped. And while there is a decline in quality, I just wanted to say that the show was imho still very good and I really enjoyed watching all seasons. Season 8 was a bit unfocused, but the stupid (or retarded fucking things) were present in every season, maybe to a lesser degree. But I really liked season 5 with the Lumen and Jordan Chase characters and (sacrilege coming up:) I didn't think season 4 was that much better than the rest.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #487 on: August 28, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
I think people hyped it up big time during it's play and still may put it up on a pedestal but I also think it's the best season by far. I mean there's just an obvious show of writing ability in S4 (as well as acting ability..which the entire series severely lacked in in my onion) that kind of teetered off after it ended. To each their own though! It was definitely a fun series, to be sure; and yeah, still better than the majority of television shows. On my list of series to watch though, it dropped a couple brackets because of the latter-half though.

RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #488 on: August 28, 2014, 05:28:06 AM »
The terrible acting in Season 5 is what drove me away from the show. I only make it episode 9 of that season.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #489 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
Is it ranking time? We are on DTF, after all. :neverusethis:

Season 1
Season 4
Season 2
Season 3
Season 7