1 (0.7%)
Octavarium
13 (9.7%)
Systematic Chaos
0 (0%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: What is the definitive DT album?  (Read 16788 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: What is the definitive DT album?
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
I&W easily.  That album was the foundation for everything the band has become.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:53 PM »
Scenes - perfection?...yes, DT's best?....yes, Encapsulates the best from all era's of DT?...yes.

I rest my case.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
Do you notice how diverse peoples picks are.  This is why DT is so great.  Never staying on one style while still being DT.  This is why I love this band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »
Do you notice how diverse peoples picks are. 
Yeah, they are so diverse that four albums haven't gotten a single vote yet.   :P
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 04:59:58 PM »
Do you notice how diverse peoples picks are. 
Yeah, they are so diverse that four albums haven't gotten a single vote yet.   :P

Ha!!  :D  Only one album deserves a vote hef and that's FII.  The other's speak for themselves.  They are not bad but compared to the other albums.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
 :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »
Images and Words

Really though, it is the album that started DT, it will forever be a part of their setlists and a part of their story.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:57:25 PM by kirbywelch92 »

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
I think the most diverse and best representing of DT's sound is Octavarium.
However, if we are talking which album will go down in history as THE Dream Theater album, it would be Images and Words.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 06:09:55 AM »
??? I&W is just as much metal as SFAM, relatively speaking; not as much so as ToT, but the balance of metal and prog is about equal on I&W and SFAM, if you ask me.  I&W might have "Surrounded," "Wait for Sleep" and "Another Day," but SFAM has "Through Her Eyes," "One Last Time" and "The Spirit Carries On."  And both CDs end with an epic that ranges from fairly mellow to rocking (but never really metal). 
I thought Beyond this life and Home are much more metal than Pull me under or Under a glass moon. I&W is still not quite representative in terms of the metal side of Dream Theater in my opinion. And that's an important side.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 06:33:15 AM »
??? I&W is just as much metal as SFAM, relatively speaking; not as much so as ToT, but the balance of metal and prog is about equal on I&W and SFAM, if you ask me.  I&W might have "Surrounded," "Wait for Sleep" and "Another Day," but SFAM has "Through Her Eyes," "One Last Time" and "The Spirit Carries On."  And both CDs end with an epic that ranges from fairly mellow to rocking (but never really metal). 
I thought Beyond this life and Home are much more metal than Pull me under or Under a glass moon. I&W is still not quite representative in terms of the metal side of Dream Theater in my opinion. And that's an important side.
But their metal side is only at the forefront on a relatively low number of songs.  I&W is very representative of DT's overall sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
??? I&W is just as much metal as SFAM, relatively speaking; not as much so as ToT, but the balance of metal and prog is about equal on I&W and SFAM, if you ask me.  I&W might have "Surrounded," "Wait for Sleep" and "Another Day," but SFAM has "Through Her Eyes," "One Last Time" and "The Spirit Carries On."  And both CDs end with an epic that ranges from fairly mellow to rocking (but never really metal).  
But their metal side is only at the forefront on a relatively low number of songs.  I&W is very representative of DT's overall sound.

That's a bingo! :)

Oh, and while OV might be diverse in that the band did different types of songs, I don't see anyway it is DT's definitive album.  Not only is the songwriting too inconsistent (my opinion, I know), but it is far too low on the wankery scale.  Like it or not, wanking is a big part of their sound, and OV is by far the album with the least amount of wanking, so given that, it seems crazy to call it possibly their definitive album.  It would be like calling Damnation Opeth's definitive CD.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »
Oh, and while OV might be diverse in that the band did different types of songs, I don't see anyway it is DT's definitive album.  Not only is the songwriting too inconsistent (my opinion, I know), but it is far too low on the wankery scale.  Like it or not, wanking is a big part of their sound, and OV is by far the album with the least amount of wanking, so given that, it seems crazy to call it possibly their definitive album.
I definitely agree with this.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »
Images And Words is the definitive Dream Theater album.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
Oh, and while OV might be diverse in that the band did different types of songs, I don't see anyway it is DT's definitive album.  Not only is the songwriting too inconsistent (my opinion, I know), but it is far too low on the wankery scale.  Like it or not, wanking is a big part of their sound, and OV is by far the album with the least amount of wanking, so given that, it seems crazy to call it possibly their definitive album.
I definitely agree with this.
Aye. Plus all the styles are in extreme. There's no middle ground. It's not "average Dream Theater," it's Dream Theater at the ends of the spectrum.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »
Definitely either SDOIT or SFAM. Both of those albums are the perfect blend of heaviness, proginess, strong melodic songwriting, quirkiness, and flashiness balanced with tastefulness. And I feel they're the perfect middle ground between "old" DT and "new" DT.
If I had to pick one album to show someone what DT is about, nothing can top these two.
This guy. He knows what's up.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:32 AM »
??? I&W is just as much metal as SFAM, relatively speaking; not as much so as ToT, but the balance of metal and prog is about equal on I&W and SFAM, if you ask me.  I&W might have "Surrounded," "Wait for Sleep" and "Another Day," but SFAM has "Through Her Eyes," "One Last Time" and "The Spirit Carries On."  And both CDs end with an epic that ranges from fairly mellow to rocking (but never really metal).  
But their metal side is only at the forefront on a relatively low number of songs.  I&W is very representative of DT's overall sound.

That's a bingo! :)

Oh, and while OV might be diverse in that the band did different types of songs, I don't see anyway it is DT's definitive album.  Not only is the songwriting too inconsistent (my opinion, I know), but it is far too low on the wankery scale.  Like it or not, wanking is a big part of their sound, and OV is by far the album with the least amount of wanking, so given that, it seems crazy to call it possibly their definitive album.  It would be like calling Damnation Opeth's definitive CD.

I was told by someone somewhere, that men go gay for KevShmev. Just too much wisdom  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:02 AM »
I was told by someone somewhere, that men go gay for KevShmev. Just too much wisdom  :D

:lol  Not only that, but women swoon!  :biggrin:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
How is Scenes not winning this poll?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
I'm not surprised that I&W is winning but I am surprised that Awake doesn't have more votes.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
Personally Images for all the reasons Kev said. I can see the argument for Scenes though. Blob does raise an interesting point with Six Degrees but I see that album more as the true potential this current lineup has than the Dream Theater album.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »

I&W makes sense too.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2010, 05:08:15 PM »
I&W - perfection?...yes, DT's best?....yes, Encapsulates the best from all era's of DT?...yes.

I rest my case.

Fixed.

When someone asks me "Who and what is Dream Theater", I always point them towards I&W.  6DoIT isn't their second best, but it would be my second choice as does start to incorporate some of their heavier stuff, yet retains the signature DT sound from the I&W/Awake albums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »
Because it isn't the definitive DT album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »
SFAM is much more representative of DT than IaW is. That's not to say that IaW isn't amazing of course (it's my 2nd favourite, and I rank it slightly above SFAM), but it doesn't have the diversity that SFAM has that much better demonstrates all aspects of their sound.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
SFAM is much more representative of DT than IaW is. That's not to say that IaW isn't amazing of course (it's my 2nd favourite, and I rank it slightly above SFAM), but it doesn't have the diversity that SFAM has that much better demonstrates all aspects of their sound.

Hmmm... what if you look at it this way...

Pull Me Under vs. Overture 1928 / Strange Déjà Vu
Another Day vs. Through Her Eyes
Take The Time vs. Beyond This Life
Surrounded vs. Through My Words / Fatal Tragedy
Metropolis vs. Home
Under A Glass Moon vs. The Dance Of Eternity / One Last Time
Wait For Sleep vs. The Spirit Carries On
Learning To Live vs. Finally Free

Some of the match-ups aren't very close, but a lot of them are.... oddly enough, those match-ups are pretty even, IMO... both albums are pretty good, and do share a good range of the band's sounds, but only of that period. IAW is THE sound that DT had from the early-to-mid 90's... but SFAM is THE sound that DT has been exploring since Jordan joined the band... a sound that they were moving from and improving as they grew. Granted, SFAM has some great songs and a good diversity, IMO, but so does IAW... just... in a different way.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »

Hmmm... what if you look at it this way...

Pull Me Under vs. Overture 1928 / Strange Déjà Vu
Another Day vs. Through Her Eyes
Take The Time vs. Beyond This Life
Surrounded vs. Through My Words / Fatal Tragedy
Metropolis vs. Home
Under A Glass Moon vs. The Dance Of Eternity / One Last Time
Wait For Sleep vs. The Spirit Carries On
Learning To Live vs. Finally Free

Some of the match-ups aren't very close, but a lot of them are.... oddly enough, those match-ups are pretty even, IMO... both albums are pretty good, and do share a good range of the band's sounds, but only of that period. IAW is THE sound that DT had from the early-to-mid 90's... but SFAM is THE sound that DT has been exploring since Jordan joined the band... a sound that they were moving from and improving as they grew. Granted, SFAM has some great songs and a good diversity, IMO, but so does IAW... just... in a different way.

-Marc.

But to me IaW only represents a smaller era of DT. I can't listen to IaW and say it represents the last decade of their career. SFAM sits right in the middle, and I feel it is a good mix of what came before it, and what came after it.
That's not to say that IaW isn't a worse album or less diverse at all, but if I had to pick one album that feels like it most represents the sound of every other album, SFAM feels like the least biased towards any particular sound, while IaW has a more distinctive sound that separates it a bit more from their other albums compared to SFAM.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
I fully agree with what you said.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
But to me IaW only represents a smaller era of DT. I can't listen to IaW and say it represents the last decade of their career. SFAM sits right in the middle, and I feel it is a good mix of what came before it, and what came after it.
That's not to say that IaW isn't a worse album or less diverse at all, but if I had to pick one album that feels like it most represents the sound of every other album, SFAM feels like the least biased towards any particular sound, while IaW has a more distinctive sound that separates it a bit more from their other albums compared to SFAM.

Oh of course, I totally agree! I was just saying that it's got a different kind of diversity, for it's time period. But I do agree with you, SFAM does present the sound they are coming from, and heading toward, and is pretty representative of their sound (especially being right in the middle of their career!).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
SFAM isn't representative because it's the only concept album they've done.  When you've done something only once, it can't be representative of your career.  In much the same way, there is no way that Train of Thought could be representative of their career.

There are examples of all of their facets on Images & Words (other than certain negative ones that may have crept up in some of their latter albums), and by and large these facets occur in some of the best songs they've ever done.

But whatever.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
Just because Scenes is a rock opera doesn't really mean its disqualified from being called the "definitive" DT album.  I guess we could also disqualify WDADU, Images, Awake, Falling Into Infinity, and 6DoiT too because their lyrics aren't representative of DT's overall writing anymore.  But lyrics have never been the greatest strength, so it would be better to look at the music.  In my opinion, the technical, heavy, and melodic side of DT's music are all contained in this one album, never leaning more towards one direction.  Its pretty much the perfect album to present to someone who wants to know what DT sound like.

Offline j

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
I chose I&W because it encompasses the aspects of DT that I personally favor, but I think you could make a case for just about any of their albums.  With the possible exceptions of SC, ToT, and FII (although I love FII).

-J

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »
Yeah hef, I don't see how being a concept album disqualifies it. The lyrical style is still representative of their music, and they have similar, although obviously not as strong, musical connections on other albums too, like Awake and Octavarium. I think the fact it's a concept album is what makes it so diverse though, with a variety of short and longer songs, and I still think it's a lot more representative of their music than IaW. I can listen to SFAM and hear elements of IaW (for obvious reason lol) and I can hear elements of newer albums. When I listen to IaW, it doesn't sound like anything they've done since. Obviously all of the elements of DT's music are there, but they're executed in a unique way that I don't feel represents DT as a whole.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
Let's just admit it, the original question is too damn hard to answer.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
Let's just admit it, the original question is too damn hard to answer.

Maybe, but narrowing it down to 2 isn't too shabby.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that SFAM is a close 2nd to I&W.  They represent DT's career very well and it's fitting since both are considered to be a new beginning and a pivotal turning point during some adverse times.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White