1 (0.7%)
Octavarium
13 (9.7%)
Systematic Chaos
0 (0%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: What is the definitive DT album?  (Read 16817 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
What is the definitive DT album?
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
I'm curious as to what people think.

Note:  This does not mean your FAVORITE album, just the album that represents what the band does better than all the other albums.  So you can say that, for instance, Falling Into Infinity is your favorite.  But if you're going to call it "definitive" at least post some justification here.

For me, it's easily Images and Words.  Pretty much everything the band has ever done is hinted at there, and I don't think it's unfair to say DT have never really gone too far beyond the sound they established with it.  

2nd choice, oddly, would be Black Clouds.  Far from my favorite, but it's really representative of what DT are all about and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it as a 1st of 2nd album to purchase for people who want to get into DT.

Offline The Letter M

Re: What is the definitive DT album?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Went with Octavarium. Not my top favorite, but it's up there, but my reasoning is that because it is so diverse, you get a taste of what DT *CAN* do musically. You have the heavy hitters ("The Root Of All Evil", "Panic Attack", "Sacrificed Sons"), the ballads and straight rockers ("The Answer Lies Within" and "I Walk Beside You"), the hard-rock-influenced songs ("These Walls" and "Never Enough"), and the massive prog-epic ("Octavarium"). The variety, while it turns some fans off (especially after the one-sided, heavy and metal Train Of Thought).

You get songs that sounds like things they've done on every album prior to it, like the U2-esque IWBY, which has been evident in songs like "To Live Forever", "Innocence Faded" and some of the stuff from the 96-97 period before FII. You get a piano-ballad in the vein of "The Spirit Carries On" and "Disappear" (even though TALW isn't half as good as either of them). You get pretty much every sort of DT sound on Octavarium as you would get on pretty much any of the seven albums before it.

Because of that, I nominate it as the definitive DT album.

Oddly enough, my second choice would've been Images And Words, and neither album has an instrumental song on it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »
probably Octavarium with Images and Words second

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »
This is a pretty hard choice actually. I know I wouldn't pick WDADU, Awake, FII, ToT, or SC.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »
Definitely either SDOIT or SFAM. Both of those albums are the perfect blend of heaviness, proginess, strong melodic songwriting, quirkiness, and flashiness balanced with tastefulness. And I feel they're the perfect middle ground between "old" DT and "new" DT.
If I had to pick one album to show someone what DT is about, nothing can top these two.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Gotta be Scenes. Blazing instrumentals, infectious choruses, passages that soar with spirit and passages laden with sinister mood, subtle bits, bombastic bits, funny bits, serious bits, long songs, short songs, heavy songs, mellow songs...

It's got it all. Meself, I don't think it's got as much character as some of the others, but that almost works in its favour here. It's an unbiased, often beautiful slab of pure Dream Theater. Wonderful.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
You know, as much as I don't like it, I think SFAM would be the album. It defines everything about DT: wonderful vocal melodies, complex and intricate musical passages, interesting or dull lyrics, tying themes (I know that it's a concept album, but there are obvious tying themes within it), the feeling of epicness, and a musically tight sound.

I wonder why it doesn't click as well with as it does with others. ???

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:28:18 PM »
Aha! You're like me!

I think I like the bias. I like Octavarium because it's poppy and eclectic, I like Six Degrees because it's experimental. Scenes is just standard DT, and while that's completely a fantastic thing, there's not so much of a USP, and so I tend to gravitate to the variations on the theme. They're more unpredictable and quirky.

Well, not unpredictable. I know the songs inside out. But you get the gist!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
Gotta be Scenes. Blazing instrumentals, infectious choruses, passages that soar with spirit and passages laden with sinister mood, subtle bits, bombastic bits, funny bits, serious bits, long songs, short songs, heavy songs, mellow songs...

It's got it all. Meself, I don't think it's got as much character as some of the others, but that almost works in its favour here. It's an unbiased, often beautiful slab of pure Dream Theater. Wonderful.

Well put :tup
It has a bit of everything, but never seems to lean too far into any particular direction. It's heavy, but not too heavy. It's proggy, yet still broken down into easily digestible segments. It has everything in balance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
Awake. It's basically the definitive progressive metal album for me. It's the one I would show to anyone not familiar with the genre. I&W was superb, but they really refined their sound and fixed all of the little niggling flaws that were present in their songwriting.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
Aha! You're like me!

I think I like the bias. I like Octavarium because it's poppy and eclectic, I like Six Degrees because it's experimental. Scenes is just standard DT, and while that's completely a fantastic thing, I tend to gravitate to the variations on the theme. They're more unpredictable and quirky.

I do! In fact, quite so, that I must often wonder that you may be a blood relation to me! But then I get a little carried away by my thoughts and the processes that brought me to understand why another human soul would be so much like. . .me!

It really is quite the idea. I always considered myself a unique individual, since we have unique fingerprints after all. But hey! Perhaps we should compare fingerprints some time and see if we handbang to Train of thought at the same rate of bobbing to neck movement ratio and if our body proportions account for such little discrepancy!

Sir, our tastes in the standard fare album that is Scenes is really something to behold, and I will not take it lightly. I find that this common feature we share within the two of us is something special, and I offer you my hand in friendship, so go on, shake my hand! This is the true beauty of progressive metal; that it brings to unlikely similar individuals to a place where they can stand together and enjoy life as a rock enjoys a cliff where tides cannot sweep it away.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
I think there should be a "No such thing with DT" option.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
While Awake is my favorite, I think Images and Words is undoubtedly their definitive record.  Every song is a genuine DT classic (not surprising that this era was when their songwriting was at its peak), every band member is at their best, especially JLB, and it just has the sound of a band that is clicking on all cylinders and looking to show the world what they can do.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 04:43:32 AM »
Aha! You're like me!

I think I like the bias. I like Octavarium because it's poppy and eclectic, I like Six Degrees because it's experimental. Scenes is just standard DT, and while that's completely a fantastic thing, I tend to gravitate to the variations on the theme. They're more unpredictable and quirky.

I do! In fact, quite so, that I must often wonder that you may be a blood relation to me! But then I get a little carried away by my thoughts and the processes that brought me to understand why another human soul would be so much like. . .me!

It really is quite the idea. I always considered myself a unique individual, since we have unique fingerprints after all. But hey! Perhaps we should compare fingerprints some time and see if we handbang to Train of thought at the same rate of bobbing to neck movement ratio and if our body proportions account for such little discrepancy!

Sir, our tastes in the standard fare album that is Scenes is really something to behold, and I will not take it lightly. I find that this common feature we share within the two of us is something special, and I offer you my hand in friendship, so go on, shake my hand! This is the true beauty of progressive metal; that it brings to unlikely similar individuals to a place where they can stand together and enjoy life as a rock enjoys a cliff where tides cannot sweep it away.
You know, I'm just a little bit creeped out now, but I'm gonna shake that metaphorical hand.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
While Awake is my favorite, I think Images and Words is undoubtedly their definitive record.  Every song is a genuine DT classic (not surprising that this era was when their songwriting was at its peak), every band member is at their best, especially JLB, and it just has the sound of a band that is clicking on all cylinders and looking to show the world what they can do.

That's what I was going to post, but now I don't have to.  Thanks, Kev!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 05:02:26 AM »
AWAKE FOR PRESIDENT.

Awake has all those heavy, vocal intensive songs and those catchy ballad songs. It's the most balanced album from them. I&W is too light to represent their career.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:42 AM »
Aha! You're like me!

You know, I'm just a little bit creeped out now, but I'm gonna shake that metaphorical hand.

:lol

Online Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:43:35 AM »

Online Mladen

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
Scenes from a memory, without a doubt. It's weird people think I&W is the definitive one - Dream Theater is a progressive metal band, yet I&W certainly ain't that much metal. Scenes from a memory has everything the band is about.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
AWAKE FOR PRESIDENT.

Awake has all those heavy, vocal intensive songs and those catchy ballad songs. It's the most balanced album from them. I&W is too light to represent their career.

I concur!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »
Awake is my favourite but I think that SFAM is the definitive DT album. It simply has everything DT is about. SDOIT would probably be my second choice.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
Six Degrees!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »

Yeah, pretty much this word for word.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »
Scenes for me. It is when they got control and went full on prog.  It was a great progression to that album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
I'd have to go with Octavarium.  The album's very purpose seems to have been to consolidate the band's sound over the course of their career until that point, and in that regard I believe they succeeded.  It was heavy, melodic, proggy, epic...all the things that characterized DT throughout their previous seven albums.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
For me it is Six Degrees.  It contains samples of the best aspects of DT, from the heavily aggressive Glass Prison to the 45 minute progressive wankfest that is the second disc, and all in between.  Though I&W still is my favorite, as a definitive album, Six Degrees bridges all the gaps in DT's career.

Offline LTE

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 12:12:50 PM »
45 minute progressive wankfest that is the second disc

I'll give you The Test That Stumped Them All, but SDOIT  (the song), is not a wankfest AT ALL
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
45 minute progressive wankfest that is the second disc

I'll give you The Test That Stumped Them All, but SDOIT  (the song), is not a wankfest AT ALL
I knew I'd get called out that one.  I'm not referring to specific musical aspects of that album, I am in no way a musician and therefor cannot pass judgement.  I'm talking more about how no individual part of the song cannot really stand on its own.  It was by no means a degrading comment, but more pointing out that half of DT that favors the long, epic style of song.

Offline LTE

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
Alright, I just find that I love long epic movements like SDOIT, 8VM and ACOS. They transcend what a "song" is. It's like comparing a tv show(song) to a movie (epics)
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
Alright, I just find that I love long epic movements like SDOIT, 8VM and ACOS. They transcend what a "song" is. It's like comparing a tv show(song) to a movie (epics)
Your talking to someone who's favorite album is Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans.  Trust me, I understand completely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
While Awake is my favorite, I think Images and Words is undoubtedly their definitive record.  Every song is a genuine DT classic (not surprising that this era was when their songwriting was at its peak), every band member is at their best, especially JLB, and it just has the sound of a band that is clicking on all cylinders and looking to show the world what they can do.

Always glad to help. :)  :tup

I&W is too light to represent their career.

??? "Pull Me Under," "Take the Time," "Metropolis" and "Under a Glass Moon" would all like a word with you outside. :biggrin:

Scenes from a memory, without a doubt. It's weird people think I&W is the definitive one - Dream Theater is a progressive metal band, yet I&W certainly ain't that much metal.

??? I&W is just as much metal as SFAM, relatively speaking; not as much so as ToT, but the balance of metal and prog is about equal on I&W and SFAM, if you ask me.  I&W might have "Surrounded," "Wait for Sleep" and "Another Day," but SFAM has "Through Her Eyes," "One Last Time" and "The Spirit Carries On."  And both CDs end with an epic that ranges from fairly mellow to rocking (but never really metal). 

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
I have to say I&W for the reasons Kev stated, it just have all the classic DT songs.

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
I was gonna vote Octavarium, but I've convinced that SFAM is the correct answer.

Thus, I voted ToT.

just kidding

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
I&W easily.  That album was the foundation for everything the band has become.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
As a definitive album, I picked SFAM. It's a perfect blend between "new" and "old" DT (whatever that means...) and it's a clear representation of how DT want to sound.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing