Author Topic: A thought on Octavarium  (Read 17918 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
A thought on Octavarium
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »
Today, I thought of one reason why Octavarium is still probably the band's most underrated album.  It's so hard to digest, because after TROAE the energy level plummets.  Usually, for an album to feel consistent, there needs to be a "one-two" punch of opening songs.  This is the forumla that works on plenty of great albums, including DT's Awake and PT's In Absentia and DT's Addicted.

What if 8va were set up like this?

1. TROAE
2. Panic Attack
3. These Walls
4. IWBY
5. NE
6. TALW
7. SS
8. 8va

Would you like it better?

Would you at least feel like it was better?

Of course, that'd fuck up the whole concept but oh well :neverusethis:

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: A thought on Octavarium
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »
It's an interesting thought, but Octavarium is already my favourite DT album, so changing the order might fuck that up for me.

But in terms of how other people see it, I can see it having some level of affect.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
Reordering a concept album is a bad idea. :neverusethis:

Seriously, I think the pacing is fine the way it is.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »
It's an interesting thought, but Octavarium is already my favourite DT album, so changing the order might fuck that up for me.

But in terms of how other people see it, I can see it having some level of affect.

Holy crap, 8VM is your favorite DT album?

Dude! o/

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
*\o

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »
I'm not sure how I'd feel about re-ordering it. At the moment it seems to alternate between the great songs and the weaker songs. The weaker songs disrupt the flow of the album and stop any part of the album having a good 1-2 punch, but sticking them all together like that would have created a huge drag in the middle of the album.
Octavarium's strength and weakness is its diversity, and I think as an album it works best as it is, for better or worse.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:36:59 AM »
It's a thoughtful proposal, but I have to say I really love the 1-2 rocking punch in the middle of the album with PA and NE.  I wouldn't want to lose that.  Plus, I&W starts with PMU, followed by 'Another Day,' and yet it is the standard-bearer of all DT albums.  Not that I am suggesting TALW is even worthy to tie 'Another Day's' shoes.  So maybe the difference in quality between those two track 2's, not the fact that track 2 is a ballad, is what keeps (or doesn't keep) the momentum of the opening track going.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:45 AM »
The continuity makes up for the weaker songs on the album, IMO.  Honestly, if you just replace IWBY with a song that doesn't make me wretch, the entire album would move up a couple of notches in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
This could have been a good EP.  Leave off the boring "These Walls," the cringe-worthy "Never Enough," the decent, but ultimately forgettable "The Answer Lies Within," and the overdone, but nothing special "Sacrificed Sons," and you have a good EP of:

"The Root of All Evil"
"I Walk Beside You"
"Panic Attack"
"Octavarium"

Actually, if this were the 70s, that could have been a good full-length studio record.  I know some will say, "Yeah, but leaving off anything ruins the full circle aspect of the title song and blah, blah, blah," but who cares? 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
This could have been a good EP.  Leave off the boring "These Walls," the cringe-worthy "Never Enough," the decent, but ultimately forgettable "The Answer Lies Within," and the overdone, but nothing special "Sacrificed Sons," and you have a good EP of:

"The Root of All Evil"
"I Walk Beside You"
"Panic Attack"
"Octavarium"

Actually, if this were the 70s, that could have been a good full-length studio record.  I know some will say, "Yeah, but leaving off anything ruins the full circle aspect of the title song and blah, blah, blah," but who cares?  

The type of fan who cares about the album as a whole, and appreciates the care that the band put into crafting an album, rather than just a collection of songs. :)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
This could have been a good EP.  Leave off the boring "These Walls," the cringe-worthy "Never Enough," the decent, but ultimately forgettable "The Answer Lies Within," and the overdone, but nothing special "Sacrificed Sons," and you have a good EP of:

"The Root of All Evil"
"I Walk Beside You"
"Panic Attack"
"Octavarium"

Actually, if this were the 70s, that could have been a good full-length studio record.  I know some will say, "Yeah, but leaving off anything ruins the full circle aspect of the title song and blah, blah, blah," but who cares? 

If we're talking the album which might be best as an EP, then I think Systematic Chaos is the best choice.  Or A Change Of Seasons.  ;)

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
I understand that tracks 2, 4, and 6 are considered the weaker songs, but the fact is the album has a great flow, regardless of song quality, all the way up through Panic Attack.  I wouldn't change the order.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »

"The Root of All Evil"
"I Walk Beside You"
"Panic Attack"
"Octavarium"

I agree with everything you've said except that I love These Walls. Great tune.

Offline EmilSumm

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
That wouldn't make it better to me. Octavarium is still there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
What if 8va were set up like this?

1. TROAE
2. Panic Attack
3. These Walls
4. IWBY
5. NE
6. TALW
7. SS
8. 8va

Would you like it better?
No.

Would you at least feel like it was better?
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
I think the pacing of the tracklist is done quite nicely, and works well in the confines of its concepts. I think having a 1-2 Punch wouldn't make much a difference, and besides, "The Root Of All Evil" a pretty heavy track already, and I think "The Answer Lies Within" works great as a breather to it. Likewise with "I Walk Beside You" following "These Walls", and the opening of "Octavarium" after the heavy second-half of "Sacrificed Sons". The album, as a whole, has an up-down-up-down pattern to it (with the slight exception of "Panic Attack"-"Never Enough"), which works great IMO.

I think pretty much any of their other albums could be re-ordered and still sound okay, but I think because the idea behind Octavarium is so stuck inside my mind (and maybe many others' as well), changing the tracklist would pretty much ruin what MP and the rest had in mind for the whole piece.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
 :lol Love Hefs posting

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
:lol Love Hefs posting
Rule 13: Omit needless words.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »
I like the idea. I personally tend to soften(give in?) my original disliking of songs I don't like when they occur in groups and I think it's kinda like when you see three skanks in a bar and they're the only girls there at the time so suddenly alpha-skank seems remotely fuckable by comparison despite looking like a hooker you'd see in stock footage from 60 Minutes on first glance.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:45 AM »
Reordering a concept album is a bad idea. :neverusethis:

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »
In terms of momentum, this is what I'd suggest:

1. TRoAE
2. Panic Attack
3. TALW
4. These Walls
5. Never Enough
6. IWBY
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. 8vm
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
I think it's kinda nice as it is.

In fact, if I had to dabble, I'd only make a very small change.

1. The Root of All Evil
2. The Answer Lies Within
3. I Walk Beside You
4. These Walls
5. Panic Attack
6. Never Enough
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Octavarium

Means that it builds and builds. The slower songs are gonna slow the momentum wherever you put them - this way you get hit in the face, but then it draws straight back, and builds the intensity up again gradually, until These Walls comes to a full stop at its crechendo, pauses and gives way to Act Two, where Panic Attack comes storming in.

I'd put IWBY into A and These Walls into B, too, and leave the interludes in their places and original keys.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
I'd put IWBY into A and These Walls into B, too, and leave the interludes in their places and original keys.
Holy christ. Just put IWBY in A with pitchshift, it actually sounds really cool! James sounds really good a tone lower.

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »
1. TROAE
2. Panic Attack
3. These Walls
4. IWBY
5. NE
6. TALW
7. SS
8. 8va

I think the above setup (from the OP) might improve the flow a bit (other than ruining the "pseudo-concept").  But unfortunately, rearranging the songs cannot make a mediocre album into a good one.  If I'm honest, the only songs on the album I ever listen to with any sort of consistency are TROAE and the title track.  I could live without everything else.

-J

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
I love the pacing of 8VM. What I'm about to say might be blasphemy, but it really reminds me of the pacing of I&W. You have the great opener, one soft song, another great solid song, another sort of softy, and then everything to the end is just great music. I'M NOT AT ALL SAYING THEY ARE OF THE SAME QUALITY, just a same sort of pacing (minus Wait for Sleep of course).

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:10 PM »
I think Octavarium the album is of the same quality of I&W and I'm not afraid to say it.  I love Octavarium.  I always go back to that album consistently.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »
I think Octavarium the album is of the same quality of I&W and I'm not afraid to say it.  I love Octavarium.  I always go back to that album consistently.
:tup :tup :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »

Same here.  It does have a few songs that sound a bit like filler, but every album (including Images) feels that way.  They key is, the "filler" songs aren't really bad, and the stronger songs are more than enough to make a stellar album. 

Going back to the OP, it seems the impetus for the possible rearrangement was the lack of "1-2 punch" to get the album started.  While I agree with the general principle, I don't think this album suffers for that because (1) the overall pacing is fine, and (2) when you have a longish song (i.e., longer than the standard 2 1/2 - 4 minutes of most bands) already like TROAE, you don't necessarily need a second heavy, energetic song to get that feeling. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
Same. Favourite DT album. With IAW a close second. Fantastic stuff.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
Going back to the OP, it seems the impetus for the possible rearrangement was the lack of "1-2 punch" to get the album started.  While I agree with the general principle, I don't think this album suffers for that because (1) the overall pacing is fine, and (2) when you have a longish song (i.e., longer than the standard 2 1/2 - 4 minutes of most bands) already like TROAE, you don't necessarily need a second heavy, energetic song to get that feeling. 

It seems to me that more of DT’s albums lack the 1-2 punch than feature it, but let’s see. 

Those lacking it:

WDADU – 1. AFIL 2. Status Seeker

I&W – 1. PMU 2. Another Day

FII – I wouldn’t really call ‘New Millennium’ a song that “punches,” at least not at the beginning, thought it’s still a great opener

6DOIT (Disc 1) – 1. TGP 2. Blind Faith (the intro loses the punch from TGP, even if it picks back up as you go on)

Octavarium – 1. TROAE 2. TALW

SC – 1. ITPOE pt. 1 2. Forsaken

Those featuring the 1-2 punch:

Awake – 1. 6:00 2. Caught In A Web

SFAM (discounting Regression) – 1. 1928 Overture 2. Strange Déjà Vu

SDOIT (Disc 2) – I. Overture II. About To Crash (This one is arguable).

TOT – 1. As I Am 2. TDS

BC&SL – 1. ANTR 2. AROP

According to my interpretation, the lack of the 1-2 punch wins a hotly contested battle 6 to 5.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Just switch out The Answer Lies Within and These Walls.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »
I actually love every song on Octavarium.  I feel like the album has aged extremely well.  I can't say the same about SC, which I rarely listen to anymore.  I do, however, feel that BCSL will age similarly well to Octavarium, as the album has aged quite well in the months since its release.  I remember SC was stale for me by this point in the year after its release, but BCSL still sounds fresh.  This is a relief for me, as I feel that SC was simply a miss-step between two very good albums.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
I actually love every song on Octavarium.  I feel like the album has aged extremely well.  I can't say the same about SC, which I rarely listen to anymore.  I do, however, feel that BCSL will age similarly well to Octavarium, as the album has aged quite well in the months since its release.  I remember SC was stale for me by this point in the year after its release, but BCSL still sounds fresh.  This is a relief for me, as I feel that SC was simply a miss-step between two very good albums.
This

Just switch out The Answer Lies Within and These Walls.
also this

It does have a few songs that sound a bit like filler, but every album (including Images) feels that way.
what is this i dont even

Offline TL

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Holy christ. Just put IWBY in A with pitchshift, it actually sounds really cool! James sounds really good a tone lower.
Trying this now.

Aside from the weird effect pitch-shift tends to have on vocals, it sounds pretty cool. Don't know if I prefer it to the normal key, but it's interesting nonetheless.