Author Topic: Mass Effect (merged thread)  (Read 67853 times)

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

Re: Mass Effect 2 *Spoilers*
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
The theory is that Wrex living puts the Krogan on your side for the final confrontation with the Reapers, whereas if he dies you don't get any Krogan help.
Then my team for the Reapers should be quite formidable.

My whole team survive the fight with the Collectors, Wrex is uniting the krogan clans and the rachni queen is alive.

By the way, I'm going out like right now to buy some MS Points and buy Cerberus. My ME2 is a borrowed one, where they already use the code.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
Did you destroy the Geth Heretics or reprogram them?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
I reprogrammed them.

I also saved Maelon's data on the genophage cure.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:04:11 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »
Just finished ME2. Just like in ME1, the story and the cinematic ending really, really made up for all the small, annoying little things. The final portion of the game on the Collector ship was just badass, I got everyone alive through to the end, had Garrus lead the fire team both times, had Legion hack the door, Samara put up the biotic field, and Grunt led the survivors back. I brought Miranda and Tali with me to the end.

I ended up destroying the Collector base since giving the IM anything that powerful... felt wrong. I imagine on any other playthroughs I do, I'll do the same. I only managed to get to level 26 and I don't think that there's anything left for me to do in the game so I imagine that I'd have to play a plus game to get up to 30.

My overall thoughts:

- Almost all of the characters were great. Tali, Garrus, Mordin, Miranda, Samara, and Thane all felt especially strong. Legion was also pretty cool. Jacob was just sort of there. Zaeed, Grunt, and Jack were my least favorite.

- Ending was pretty easy (played on Normal) but super epic. I don't mind if a game is easy but as long as it has a suitably awesome ending, I'm okay. It wasn't quite as good as ME1's ending (convincing Saren to kill himself, sacrificing the Council, cutting between the battle in space with the battle on the Citadel), but oh well.

- Story was good, but it seemed to be too much setup. I was also less than impressed with the giant Terminator at the end. Still, after seeing that last shot of the Reapers fleet... zomg I want ME3 now!!!

- Even though scanning planets was uber annoying, you don't have to scan that many to get enough minerals to research almost everything. Stick with just the Rich planets and it's not too bad, definitely a step up from the mako.

- OTOH, hacking and bypassing got to be incredibly annoying near the end of the game. It wasn't difficult at all, it was boring, and there was so much of it that it just started to feel like a chore. I really didn't mind the button minigame from ME1. It was repetitive, but at least it wasn't mindnumbingly boring and easy. Even at the end there was a bit of challenge to it.

- I was really hoping for a couple of instances in the game where you'd have to choose between performing a paragon action or renegade action in a cut scene (like maybe petting a puppy or kicking a puppy ;) ). It was a great idea to introduce it, but I hope they utilize it a bit more in ME3.

- The streamlined inventory and powers ended up working out rather well. I was pretty dubious about its implementation at first, but I was proven wrong.

- As much as I liked the game, too many battles ended up feeling the same: Enter room full of crates, enemies show up, shoot them, move forward to next crate-filled room, repeat. They mix it up a little, but not enough.

Overall, great game with a few niggling issues. Can't wait for ME3.

And here's a funny Tali/Garrus moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNVGFr06vJw&NR=1

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
I've had that conversation between Tali and Garrus. For another funny one, take Legion to the Citadel and speak to the customs officer.

My Shepard is also at 26, but we're suppose to get new missions through the Cerberus Network so I'll max him out there.

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 04:45:20 PM »
Another moment of gold is bringing Legion to the flotilla for Tali's loyalty mission.

What I've noticed about this game is that what it lacks in a main story, it makes up in background story. For instance, you learn more about the Reaper's plans with organic spices, and their interest in humans. Harbinger says different dialogues depending on the species you have in your squad, like Salarians being to weak, Turians being primitive, Asari being to dependant, ect. But from your actions they take interest in humans, meaning that if a species proves their might, the reapers plan to make a reaper from their species, i.e. the human reaper. I get the feeling that ME2 is just fleshing out the universe in preparation for ME3.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
The Reapers like organic spices? Maybe they just want to have a nice meal! :neverusethis:

I just remember I haven't done all of the N7 side missions... maybe those help me to max out!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
Just beat my second playthrough. Lost Legion and Jack, presumably because they were the two who weren't loyal to me, because I sided with Tali and Miranda when they were arguing, and didn't have the renegade/paragon to regain it. Is it even possible to have everyone survive with a fresh character?

Either way, the suicide mission is one of the greatest things in video game history.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
Just beat my second playthrough. Lost Legion and Jack, presumably because they were the two who weren't loyal to me, because I sided with Tali and Miranda when they were arguing, and didn't have the renegade/paragon to regain it. Is it even possible to have everyone survive with a fresh character?

Either way, the suicide mission is one of the greatest things in video game history.

Yeah, if you're full paragon/renegade, which I don't think I'll be able to do since I was too neutral in the beginning (my face is still super-fucked up though).

Can't wait to get to the suicide mission.  I just got the IFF and I'm about to do Legion's side mission.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »
I know that, but is it actually possible to get full paragon/renegade in one playthrough? I guess if you just went with one response consistently maybe, but that's kinda lame.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »

What does having a new character or importing one have to do with that? Afaik (I imported) you start with a fresh bar of paragon/renegade. I sided with them as well, and lost no one.

I don't think the "amazingness" behind the suicide mission is all that great, having someone get hit by a bullet has nothing to do with gaining their loyalty.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
Well then I have no idea why they died. Legion for the hacking, Garrus as squad leader both times. I know the loyalty affects other things in the mission like the biotic field, I have no idea if it affects who dies in the firefight though.

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the only way you can if you didn't import a dude.

Here is a website if you just want to download saved files - https://www.masseffectsaves.com/

And yeah, the suicide mission is pretty damn amazing. My friend sucks at single player games and had every die including Sherpard, but it was still a awesome ending. I managed to get everyone to live.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »
I know that, but is it actually possible to get full paragon/renegade in one playthrough? I guess if you just went with one response consistently maybe, but that's kinda lame.

My roomate was full paragon before he got the IFF.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »
Finished all N7 side missions, so I've effectively done every single mission there is in the game.

Now to wait for the Hammerhead.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 04:34:16 PM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35XKqOz6vCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqqDCe4Yrs&feature=related

And did anyone else see the Illusive Man after you kill the human reaper, hes like in the ceiling.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
Wow, I was just looking through the list of voice actors. A few of them I recognized in-game, like Martin Sheen and Seth Green, but there were a ton of other awesome people that I never recognized - Michael Dorn, Adam Baldwin, Carrie-Anne Moss, Tricia Helfer, and a few more. They really went all out with the voice acting, and it definitely added to the game in a big way.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:40 AM »
Wow, I was just looking through the list of voice actors. A few of them I recognized in-game, like Martin Sheen and Seth Green, but there were a ton of other awesome people that I never recognized - Michael Dorn, Adam Baldwin, Carrie-Anne Moss, Tricia Helfer, and a few more. They really went all out with the voice acting, and it definitely added to the game in a big way.

Not knowing who those people are makes you fail :P

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:10 AM »
??? I know who they are, I just didn't recognize their voices...

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 03:20:24 AM »
Oh okay. How did you not pick up on the voices? When I heard Adam Baldwin I squealed like a little serenity fangirl.

(It also has Oghren and Morrigan's VAs from Dragon Age)

Offline GuineaPig

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
Which character did Carrie-Anne Moss voiced? I recognized Helfer voiced EDI, Seth Green does Joker and Sheen does Illusive Man.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
Aria T'Loak

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
Last night I was bored so I threw in ME1 for a half-hour to see if it still held up.

Hasn't lost even a teeny, tiny beat.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »

How I wish Shepard could facepalm in game.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
Yeah! I really regret saving the Council!

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Its the exact same if you don't save them, I wish there was a little more continuity between the two. In the first game it was very well established that the reapers were gonna ruin some citadel races. But in the second one they all act as if you are on crazy pills and planted the evidence yourself.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
Not exactly, I read that if the Council is all human they refuse to see you. So no annoying sarcastic comments.