Author Topic: Mass Effect (merged thread)  (Read 67846 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Mass Effect 3 (merged)
« Reply #735 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
I've just this week started a new ME2, too. Engineer. Bloody loving it. Absolutely magical game. I think it is my favourite in the trilogy. Just beats 3 by a hair - gameplay's not as good, but the feel is stupendous. Other two games are very black and white, big damn heroes taking out big bastard villains. Mass Effect 2, you're fighting alongside a bunch of renegades. Striding across the Terminus systems with a human-centric terrorist group recruiting a team of thieves, convicts, mercenaries... even the doctor's been known to kill people without a moment's thought, string their bodies up outside his clinic as a warning, and is rumoured to have committed war crimes. Tali's basically the only companion you can trust to the hilt. But then bad is not evil, even Cerberus isn't evil, and all these characters have great reasons for being the way they are, most of them turn out to be absolutely lovely to boot... it's such a cool bit of story telling.

Zaeed's voice actor died just this week, so I've decided I'm using him as much as possible in this run. Really cool character.

ETA: An emoticon got into that post and I have no idea how. Delete!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:10:59 AM by robwebster »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #736 on: February 10, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »
Mass Effect 2 is definitely my favorite. The first game is really hard to play now because the gameplay is so bad, and the third game just feels wrong to me. The whole tone of the thing and the ending are very out of place.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
not a gamer but my kids are now...question for you guys

Back when I played games on the original playstation and even the PS2...some games were near impossible to beat, now my kids buy a game and within hours have it beat (MS3 my 13 year old got it Tuesday night, by Wednesday about 7 hours of game play, he had beat the game) are all the games becoming that easy and are they really just being built for on-line/multiplayer gameplay now.

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #738 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
Games are easier now, yes, but your 13-year old really beat ME3 in 7 hours?! I find that very hard to believe.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #739 on: February 11, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
Maybe if he ran only the main quest line without any of the extra stuff or getting military readiness, etc.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »
Games are easier now, yes, but your 13-year old really beat ME3 in 7 hours?! I find that very hard to believe.

ME3 is the newest one? right?  this is typical of any game he or his brother(16)  buy ( Halo Series/Call of Duty/Borderlands/Assasins creed these are the ones of the top of my head) all of which they claim to have beaten in a day or two.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
Maybe if he ran only the main quest line without any of the extra stuff or getting military readiness, etc.

this may very well be the case

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #742 on: February 11, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
I guess that can be the case if they only played the main quest, but in a game like ME3/Borderlands/Assassin's Creed they are really doing themselves a disservice by doing that.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »
I guess that can be the case if they only played the main quest, but in a game like ME3/Borderlands/Assassin's Creed they are really doing themselves a disservice by doing that.

Even just doing the main quest, no way one could finish ME3 in 7 hours.  I suppose if it was played on the "narrative" setting with all dialogue skipped?  Still seems incredibly tough.

Edit: Well I stand corrected  :lol https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/mass_effect_3_speedrun_..html

"So... =p  Decided to make a speed run of the game, to see how fast I could complete it.
None Stop, 6:38 hours to complete it.
5 Hours of Gameplay
1:38 Hours of Non-Skipable Dialog.
Class: Adept. Difficulty: Insanity Mode: Roleplay
Death around 20, Mostly during Boss Fights"

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:06:52 PM by gm5k »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: February 11, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
they do go back to the games and play additional quests ( again your talking too someone who hasn't played since the original Tomb Raider) plus all the on-line content

but it just seems to me ( again I'm refer back to the early 90's ) I would spend day's on a single level, now they just seem to be able to breeze through these games

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #745 on: February 11, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
Those old games were ridiculously hard though, and most people can't be bothered with that. I want games to last for a long time because they are fun and there's enough content to warrant it (which happens - ME3 lasted maybe 30 hours for me, Skyrim and Oblivion I played for 70-80 hours). The old games took ages because you kept dying over and over again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #746 on: February 11, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
New games aren't punishing the players so harshly for making mistakes among other things. Which has it's good and bad sides. Sadly, mostly bad, because some genres turn into really small niches (from publisher POV). They want big investment- bigger profit. Which is why 2012 was so big for old-school/hardcore games on Kickstarter.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #747 on: February 21, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
New DLCs announced!

SINGLE PLAYER: Citadel. Wrex and Miranda are back, apparently as squadmates. Many other friends from ME1 and 2 will be joining you, too.

MULTI PLAYER: Playable geth primes. Playable geth primes. You can kill reapers and defend the universe, as a geth prime. All right, geth juggernaut, but still.

This is all anyone needs to know about either DLC. Both will be amazing. Citadel is so big that it comes as a two-part download.  Reckoning contains female turians, EDI-style infiltration mechs, and did I mention the playable geth primes?

Multiplayer released this tuesday, single player released first tuesday of March. I know what I'm doing on tuesday. And the following tuesday. And all the days between. And the days leading up to this tuesday, because I'll need credits to unlock playable geth primes!!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #748 on: February 21, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
Wow. Unfortunately my hard drive is about full, so I'm going to have to delete some stuff off it to get these goodies!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #749 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
They're not goodies. They're playable geth primes.

But, yes. Likewise.

Actually, I've got a feeling that it's going to be the single player DLC I'm going to fall properly in love with. They've got all the writers on board, this time - the bloke who wrote the Tuchanka mission, in particular, I think it's his first DLC. Pulled out all the stops. But if I'm going to be excited, I'm going to be excited in chronological order.

And I'm going to start by sorting this avatar out.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #750 on: February 22, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
New DLCs announced!

SINGLE PLAYER: Citadel. Wrex and Miranda are back, apparently as squadmates. Many other friends from ME1 and 2 will be joining you, too.

Bolded for: THIS IS THE GREATEST NEWS OF ALL TIME!!!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #751 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
I agree, but emphasis: apparently. The press release says, specifically, "Uncover the truth and fight alongside your squad – as well as the cast from the original Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2." That sounds like you're fighting alongside them in the same way you fight alongside your squad, but it could potentially mean a hundred different things. You could argue you "fight alongside" Wrex and Mordin on Sur'Kesh. I don't think that's the case, I'd instinctively say they mean as squadmates, especially given the picture of Wrex and Miranda interspersed among your modern day squadmates, but... there's nothing out there that specifically says, "Wrex will be in your Mass Effect 3 squad," so, pinch of salt!

I hope he is, though. It feels wrong that ME3's the only game not to feature a krogan squadmate, it feels wrong that the series' signature krogan is only a companion for the first act, and it's a shame that Wrex is the only ME character you can't take with you for the final act. It's almost like he was demoted. This would correct all of these things.

The DLC becomes available after the Citadel invasion, for the record, so characters who've already had their endings by the end of the invasion are unlikely to return. This means Thane's almost certainly not there, and I doubt we'll be seeing much Mordin, either. Still pretty completionist, though - Zaeed's back, for instance! If they were going to brush over anyone, you might think they'd brush over a free download DLC companion like Zaeed, but no! Not the case. This DLC's one of the last roles his voice actor recorded before he died, this month, in fact. Very cool bloke. He'll be missed, and I can't wait to meet him again in March.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #752 on: February 23, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »
I'll be very surprised if Bioware makes it so you take any of these "new" squadmates with you on missions outside of anything but the DLC mission.  Too much rewriting and resources needed.  Definitely wish I was wrong here.  Would love to have Miranda with me on some of the missions.  A sentinel I actually like  :biggrin:  However with Wrex and Miranda there in the promo pic, I'm sure they'll be available as squadmates for the DLC itself.  That would just be cruel if they weren't  :lol

And oh how much better ME3 would have been for me if Samara was along for the ride  :-[

I think this will be the only DLC I get for ME3 besides "From Ashes" and will finally be done with the trilogy.  Very much look forward to what Bioware did with this last one.  They really made ME3 rough on us ME2 lovers character wise.  Here's a chance to right that to some extent. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:50:05 PM by gm5k »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #753 on: February 24, 2013, 06:09:54 AM »
Oh, yeah, I'm not suggesting you'd be able to take them to Rannoch or anything! Undoubtedly, it'd be more in the Aria T'Loak, Nyreen Kandros kind of vein. But yes, it seems very likely that they'd be on the team. ME3 needs a krogan in it.

Speaking of, ME3's building up a healthy roster of companions, now. I still want a batarian companion, though. One day!

Actually, my wishlist for the next game's companions are that, and a volus. I imagine it'd be very tricky what with camera angles in cut scenes, but I've loved playing as a volus for the last four months. Volus vanguard's become one of my favourite characters. And I'd love to be sent to recruit a new squadmate, armed and highly dangerous, one of the highest earning mercenaries in the Terminus systems... and it's a tiny little volus.

I also have a more detailed idea about that batarian, but I'm going to stop before I get carried away. Either way - these are the things I dream about. God help me.

I think I am a full-blooded fan, now. You know those "recommended reads" bits you get in book shops? One of the staff had put some Mass Effect books there. I snapped them up instantly. Turns out all you have to do is put the ME logo on it and I'll buy pretty much anything! Not that that's a bad thing - here's hoping they're an ace pair of reads! But, crikey. I have become a proper, card-carrying fan. Feels good!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #754 on: February 24, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
About to get to Horizon in ME2. What an amazing game. A couple of notes about it:

1. ME2 has easily the best look of any ME game. I'm not just talking about graphics; I'm talking about stupid little things that no one but me cares about. I like how the overlays are tiny, how the font is small, and how the screen feels totally uncluttered, which is not the case in ME or ME3. I love how neatly the Journal is laid out, with main quests and sub-quests divided to their own pages, unlike in ME3.

2. ME2's level design is actually really good most of the time. Each quest I've completed so far has featured fairly open battlefields with multiple areas to take cover and usually there are also high ground areas if you want to snipe. I think it's only later in the game, like in the geth ship, where you find those super narrow, restricting areas that people complain about (myself included).

3. Ratings for recruitment missions:

Mordin - 9/10
Garrus - 10
Grunt - 9
Jack - 9

Offline robwebster

« Reply #755 on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
2. ME2's level design is actually really good most of the time. Each quest I've completed so far has featured fairly open battlefields with multiple areas to take cover and usually there are also high ground areas if you want to snipe. I think it's only later in the game, like in the geth ship, where you find those super narrow, restricting areas that people complain about (myself included).
The post-Horizon missions, I find, suffer from a spot of Illiumitis. It's beautiful as a hub, but... a lot of indistinct missions, and they all suddenly open at once. A lot of long bridges and Eclipse mercenaries. I always get a little lost trying to remember how Samara's and Thane's recruit missions go. Is it Thane's with the windy bridge?

Journal - yes, big time. The Mass Effect 3 journal is one of the game's biggest failings. Which probably says more about how much I love the game than the quality of the journal - but the amount of Googling! Struggle to argue with your ME2 recruit mission ratings, either. I loved going back to Mordin's lab in Omega.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #756 on: February 24, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
Potential spoilers for multiplayer. This leaked an hour or so ago. It's not confirmed real, not confirmed fake, but it looks... very plausible.

The five characters who've been officially confirmed are the Geth Juggernaut Soldier, Talon Mercenary Engineer, Krogan Warlord Sentinel, Alliance Synthetic Infiltrator, and the Turian Cabal Vanguard. But the press release suggested there'd be more... and that is not your average adept.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #757 on: February 28, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »
To confirm, all the characters are amazing. Except the Talon Merc, who's a bit iffy, but I've only used him once, for three waves, so who knows?

Weapons - a lot of the ones that have come across from single player have lost a little something along the way. And the others are ultra-rare so I haven't unlocked them yet. Some are reportedly both.  The Blood Pack Executioner remains amazing, however, and it's my favourite single player weapon, so... hey!

Still not had as much time on it as I'd like to. I'm loving the Turian Cabal. Chargeless vanguard - phwoar. Taken a few different builds, but she's ace. And there is nothing more fun than playing the Juggernaut or the Warlord. They nigh-on trivialise silver. The Juggernaut, in particular, has an ability that lets him immobilise a humanoid enemy entirely, while sapping their health and barriers and using them to replenish his shields. This, on phantoms, is SO therapeutic. Banshees can't do much to you either. Weaknesses are exposed on gold, where he's quite well-balanced, but it's insane on silver. So much fun.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #758 on: March 04, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #759 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
I still haven't finished my ME1, ME2 and ME3 second playthroughs. Will wait for ME3 all dlc bundle for 5$ or sth like that around some of the holidays.
I really hope this Citadel DLC is better than its trailer. Too much cheese in it for my tastes. Looked more like a reimagining of The Expendables than Mass Effect.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #760 on: March 16, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
I can't even begin to describe how much I loved that DLC. It was basically just four hours of hanging out with the characters, listening to a ton of inside jokes, and saying goodbye to the original trilogy.

It's kind of incredible actually. I was more excited to talk to Wrex and Garrus at a virtual party than I was to talk to people at the last party I went to in real life. :lol

The DLC also re-enforced my dislike of ME3's ending and the game's tone as a whole. Mass Effect to me was always about enjoying the universe and developing relationships with characters. It also had a lot of humor and fun at heart. ME3 is mostly devoid of that humor and fun, and Shepard's death at the end eliminates any sense of closure with the characters I love.

I wish BioWare didn't go the dark route like they did, but I am so grateful they made this genius DLC.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #761 on: March 16, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
Honestly, since finishing it, I did at one point think, "Well, that's TheOutlawXanadu's tone thing sorted."

Glad to hear you liked it. It's a really cool DLC.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: May 06, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »
Three things with ME3 that bug the hell out of me. First i should mention that i played ME1 and ME2 into oblivion, i loved those games so of course i had to get ME3.

So here you go:
1. I can't stand the fact that you can't holster your weapon anymore. No joke!
2. No official controller support for PC.
3. Well yea the running animation..... :facepalm:

YES THE MAY SEEM LIKE STUPID THINGS TO YOU BUT....it's my third time trying to finish the game without a mental meltdown.

The funny thing is that i usually don't care to much about trivial changes in sequels unless the game suffers from it but this....i just can't ignore them, i tried...trust me i have!

I guess i'm a weirdo!  :sadpanda:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #763 on: May 06, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
Those are some pretty dumb things bro. :lol

Especially the running animation one, it's been basically the same for all 3 games and if you played the first two, i don't understand how NOW it's bothersome.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:00:39 PM by Dimitrius »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #764 on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
Never noticed anything weird about the running animation, but even if your character flailed their arms around and whooped, it'd still be better than the first two games simply for the fact you can keep running indefinitely.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Mass Effect (merged thread)
« Reply #765 on: March 13, 2017, 03:31:27 AM »
Decided to merge the old threads for ME 2 & 3 into a single merged thread. The 22 pages shows how this series deserves its own thread separate from the general video games one!

Seeing all the promo material for Andromeda has made me really excited, but I'm not sure about buying it on release, mainly because I don't have a PS4 yet and on PC I normally like to wait for a bit to see if there are any bugs/problems I should wait out. Haven't decided yet!

All the excitement did make me want to play the original trilogy again, so I started it this weekend. I'm only a couple of hours in and already I'm remembering why I love the series so much. The story and characters are so great and what they created is so rich and enjoyable.

EDIT: I also never experienced any of the ME3 DLC (including the expanded ending) so I'm really looking forward to getting into that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #766 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
I absolutely can not wait for Andromeda.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #767 on: March 13, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
EDIT: I also never experienced any of the ME3 DLC (including the expanded ending) so I'm really looking forward to getting into that.

Please share your thoughts after playing the Citadel DLC. It's really some of the best fan service I've ever seen! :metal

I'm extremely excited for Andromeda. I've actually booked a couple days off work so that I can get a solid 10 - 20 hours in during release week (as well as play some rec league basketball/tennis - I'm not a complete bum). I actually have a lot of thoughts on the lead up to its release, which has been somewhat controversial due to a wave of internet trolls. :lol

Anyhow, very pumped for next Tuesday.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #768 on: March 13, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

Please share your thoughts after playing the Citadel DLC. It's really some of the best fan service I've ever seen! :metal
It'll be a while yet, but I certainly will do once I get there!

I'm extremely excited for Andromeda. I've actually booked a couple days off work so that I can get a solid 10 - 20 hours in during release week (as well as play some rec league basketball/tennis - I'm not a complete bum). I actually have a lot of thoughts on the lead up to its release, which has been somewhat controversial due to a wave of internet trolls. :lol
Haven't seen any of that, thankfully. :lol

Main question I have at this stage is whether this game will be part of a new series/trilogy, completely standalone, or somewhere in between like Bioware do with the Dragon Age games. I think I'd dig something like the latter.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #769 on: March 13, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
Did not realize, that there was a Mass Effect thread in the general discussion section!

Anyway, super excited for Andromeda! I don't play many games anymore, but i'm going to sink so many hours into this!