Author Topic: Mass Effect (merged thread)  (Read 68894 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Mass Effect 3 (merged)
« Reply #455 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »
It's an old demo, probably the E3 one. My guess would be that it's just rushed and missing story and intro and dialogues for the sake of putting you in action ASAP.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »
It's an old demo, probably the E3 one. My guess would be that it's just rushed and missing story and intro and dialogues for the sake of putting you in action ASAP.
This. It is the same two missions they've shown since E3.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Omega

« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »

I hope you are right, but I recently very nonchalantly perused the Mass Effect Forums and it appears that the creator of the game stated or tweeted that the beginning sequence of the demo is, in fact, identical to the beginning of the actual game. I hope, though, that this is not the case.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »

I hope you are right, but I recently very nonchalantly perused the Mass Effect Forums and it appears that the creator of the game stated or tweeted that the beginning sequence of the demo is, in fact, identical to the beginning of the actual game. I hope, though, that this is not the case.
I doubt it's frame-for-frame exactly like the beginning of the game. IMO, there has to be some kind of explanation as to why exactly Shepard has been grounded and court martialed to the people that didn't play the Arrival DLC.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »

Even if it is... I mean, it's an introduction. It's important but it's not that important.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Kosmo

« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
The multiplayer is disgustingly addictive, I was so happy to find out that I could play a Turian sniper. :caffeine:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2012, 03:51:56 AM »

I doubt it's frame-for-frame exactly like the beginning of the game. IMO, there has to be some kind of explanation as to why exactly Shepard has been grounded and court martialed to the people that didn't play the Arrival DLC.
Why does there have to be an explanation at the start? Why can't they reveal things as the story goes on? I was baffled at the start of ME2 as it seemed a pretty crazy jump from the first game.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Well, yeah, they could also do that.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #463 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »

Why does there have to be an explanation at the start? Why can't they reveal things as the story goes on? I was baffled at the start of ME2 as it seemed a pretty crazy jump from the first game.
A lot of the story in ME2 was actually pretty poorly done if you think about it. :lol Not trying to take anything away from it as it's probably my favorite game ever, but there were definitely parts of it that could have been done better.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
So I tried to play a multiplayer match but I couldn't move my character :/

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2012, 03:05:30 AM »
A lot of the story in ME2 was actually pretty poorly done if you think about it. :lol Not trying to take anything away from it as it's probably my favorite game ever, but there were definitely parts of it that could have been done better.
I dunno, I really like it, but yeah it doesn't flow or develop as brilliantly as the story in ME1. The gameplay is vastly superior though!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #466 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
Well of course, ME2's gameplay is like a corridor shooter compared to ME1. Almost zero exploration.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #467 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
I really hope that ME3 is as open to exploration as ME1 was. I was over a friend's house over the weekend watching him replay ME1 and I really missed all that exploration and modifications to the armors/guns that you do in ME1.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #468 on: February 20, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
I dunno, I really like it, but yeah it doesn't flow or develop as brilliantly as the story in ME1. The gameplay is vastly superior though!
I agree 100%. Both are amazing games though!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #469 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:37 AM »
I really hope that ME3 is as open to exploration as ME1 was. I was over a friend's house over the weekend watching him replay ME1 and I really missed all that exploration and modifications to the armors/guns that you do in ME1.
Eh, the gear modification in ME1 was really frickin' boring. Probably the worst thing about the game, so I was glad they got rid of it in ME2.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #470 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »
I'm sad they never released the first game on PS3, as I don't have any PC or any other console that can play it other than the PS3. Oh well, maybe somewhere down the line, they'll re-release all three games.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:58 AM »
Well, you got AC 1 free with AC Revelations if you got the PS3 version. Maybe Bioware will do the same thing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #472 on: February 21, 2012, 06:04:15 AM »
I doubt it, Microsoft Game Studios owns the publishing rights to Mass Effect.

AC1 was originally release on 360 and PS3, in fact if I remember correctly, for a time when the game was in development it was a PS3 exclusive.

Eh, the gear modification in ME1 was really frickin' boring. Probably the worst thing about the game, so I was glad they got rid of it in ME2.
It was boring because it was just so menu based, but have you seen the trailer of how it works on ME3??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5ybxfh02w

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #473 on: February 21, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
I like it, my friend is lending me 1 and I'll be buying 1 and 2 anyways, but I enjoy the customization of weapons.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #474 on: February 21, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »
I think there is a happy medium between the extremes of ME1 and ME2, ie boring and nonexistent.  Hopefully ME3 manages to hit that medium.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »
I think there is a happy medium between the extremes of ME1 and ME2, ie boring and nonexistent.  Hopefully ME3 manages to hit that medium.

This.

As a PC user, I hope they implement a usable UI that isn't an obvious port from the console version.  ME2 was horrible in that regard.  There was no double click, which meant every selection required me to move my mouse to the "Select/Accept" button and click.  Very poor design. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2012, 02:30:25 AM »
Yeah, ME2 was/is an UI nightmare. Took me hours to start enjoying the game and get used to the shitty UI design and many death wishes were made upon the people that created it.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2012, 05:28:49 AM »
playing the demo like hell. The quarian engineer caught my eye so I started grinding veteran packs to unlock it. Finally did last night and cant wait to play with some friends.

So far we have become proficient at clearing silver waves probably 70% of the time. Wiped on wave 1 of gold though. Guess better gear and skills are needed.

origin name is tebuddy.

Offline Omega

« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
I seem to be one of the odd ones out of the bunch of ME fans, but I was rather displeased that they completely eliminated the Mako exploration of planets routine in Mass Effect 2. Sure, it got to be a tad boring and drawn out at times, but the whole idea of exploring unknown and creepy planetary surfaces was enjoyable and sold the idea of a large and hostile galaxy. I hope they do something similar on ME3, albeit keep the boring / monotonous element out of it.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #479 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »
I don't know, compared the first UI ME2 was a godsend.

As for exploration, I liked the idea of it much more than I actually liked doing it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #480 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
In ME2 they didn't fix or improve on the game other than combat, instead they removed problems the first had and replaced them with new ones, which is annoying. And lazy.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: February 22, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
I don't know, compared the first UI ME2 was a godsend.

Really? How so?  This article explains most of my gripes better than I could.

https://multiplayersingleplayer.com/2010/03/30/massively-ineffective-ui-mistakes-in-mass-effect-2-for-pc/

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #482 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
I guess my problem is that the entire inventory system in ME1 meant you were doing all those inneffective double clicks a million times more than you did in ME2. Sure, it was inefficent in ME2, but it was never something that you had to interact with a whole lot to begin with.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
It was no Force Unleashed UI, that's for certain.

Oh, I can't use the mouse in the menus and [ ] navigate left and right. That makes sense.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
https://petition.masseffect.com/

...what

Edit: Wow, it actually takes you to a real government petition :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #485 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
:lol :lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #486 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:12 AM »
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #487 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »

Awesome T-shirt is awesome. You can buy it here: https://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QC-HOPING&Category_Code=QC
He's dead in my playthrough of Mass Effect :I
I went with the bish with the ass.  Set Williams up with Liara and elevators are Male Gaze ass time.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #488 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
He's dead in both my Shepard's playthrough, also.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #489 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
Downloading the PC demo now.