Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 148462 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
Kindness of Strangers is the best them.

Don't make my bust into The Good Don't Last.  Once you hear it, you can't stop singing it.

Yup. I fucking love that song/album!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:10 PM »
Snow
X
V
The Light
Feel Euphoria
Octane
Beware Of Darkness
The Kindness Of Strangers
Spock's Beard
Day for Night

BUMP!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
So.  I don't know if many of you know that Nick has play drums for Tears For Fears live and on a few albums for a while now and this is a live version with him on drums and singing harmonies (of course) for the song Call Me Mellow.  Very Beatles like.  Great album it's from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHXRGfUQEpA
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »
I was listening to the X album while vacuuming today, and I realized that "From the darkness" is pretty damn good. I'm gonna have to get into this album some more.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:25 PM »
I was listening to the X album while vacuuming today, and I realized that "From the darkness" is pretty damn good. I'm gonna have to get into this album some more.

:tup The album has aged VERY well to me, much like DT's own 10th album, and the two (ironically both 4-part) epics on the album are just astounding! I love the whole album (yes, even the LE bonus track) and I hope they continue along this road of classic-sounding, yet fresh SB music! Here's hoping for SB11 in 2012! When does Nick get done with Cirque again?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
Well, according to the website, the show he's in goes on until april 2012 or so. Don't know if that means he won't be squeezing in any Spocks' shows in between.

I'm seeing them at High Voltage in a few weeks with Ted Leonard standing in, and I'm fine with that. NDV is a genius and all, but as far as I'm concerned, nothing touches the 'old' SB with Neal. I'm so glad my cousin dragged me to a show on the "V"-tour. I had never heard of them, but let's just say that gig was an eye-opener.

I'm digging their later stuff as well, especially the latest one, but I feel like Neal-era SB had a certain... character that just isn't there anymore. X is certainly a step in the right direction, though. Best one since Snow, imo.

Offline MS394

« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
Saw them live last Wednesday at a small show they did in our small town Mexicali, they put on an amazing show and were really spot on. Ted Leonard is awesome, they sounded amazing with him; Jimmy Keegan played an amazing drum solo, Ryo and Dave Meros were amazing like always, but certainly I gained a whole new appreciation for Alan Morse, he was incredible IMO, and it showed how much his guitar is elemental for their music.
Setlist:
Edge of the in Between - On a perfect day - Thoughts - The Emperor´s Clothes - Crack the Big Sky - Jimmy's drum solo (really amazing IMO) - She is Everything - Kamikaze (with a cool bluesy section added in the middle) - Ryo's keyboard solo (very impressive, with some interesting jazz leanings) - The Doorway - June - Encore: The Light (my personal favorite of the night, they were on fire in this one).

Also had a chance of meeting them after the show, really cool guys. I will try to upload some videos later  :metal.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
First of all, I'm jealous.

They played Thoughts and not Thoughts Part II?  Aside from the fact I think Part II is much better, it's much easier to sing, especially for a fill-in guy.

Offline MS394

« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »
First of all, I'm jealous.

They played Thoughts and not Thoughts Part II?  Aside from the fact I think Part II is much better, it's much easier to sing, especially for a fill-in guy.

Yeah, I also thought (nuggetz  ;D) that part II would've been better, but they pulled it really well (besides Ryo singing Nick's part from the studio version, no offense to the great Ryo but it sounded funny  :lol).

Also obtained Alan Morse´s solo album, some really nice fusiony stuff, really recommended  :metal (btw he was genuinely surprised for being asked to sign his own album in a SB show, cool stuff, shows how humble they are).

Anyway, for those who are seeing them live in High Voltage, don't worry about the vocals because Ted Leonard is doing a great job, and be prepared to enjoy the show  ;D.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:54:50 AM by MS394 »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2011, 04:02:23 AM »
I'll be interested to see a video of that performance, but I'm still not convinced they're not just accelerating the (almost) inevitable demise of SB.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
I almost agree.  I mean, touring without the guy who is now their lead singer (as well as their drummer)?  I am sorry, but that is lame.  What people are seeing is not really Spock's Beard.  What if John Petrucci was tied up for six months and DT decided to tour with a different guitar player?  I can't even imagine that. 

And aside from that, wasting part of the set with two individual solos, one of which by someone who isn't even a regular member of the band (albeit a regular touring member)?  Oof. 

It really is too bad that they didn't see a bump following X, which is a damn fine album, but them now being relegated to touring without NDV and with a fill-in lead singer is just sad. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »
Rumbo, if you belong to FB, join the Spock's Bread page and they have a video of them in Mexico performing June that was just posted today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »
Just been listening to V whilst cooking and it's a great album. I'm not a big prog fan tbh but I do like SB.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
And aside from that, wasting part of the set with two individual solos, one of which by someone who isn't even a regular member of the band (albeit a regular touring member)?  Oof. 

Hey, Jimmy Keegan is awesome and deserves to have a solo.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
I bought Snow months ago, but I still haven't really listened to it.  Maybe I should.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »
I bought Snow months ago, but I still haven't really listened to it.  Maybe I should.

DO IT NOW!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »

Do, even one of my housemates who isn't really into prog likes it...

I really like X, and the Neal Morse era stuff is epic too. Actually, I was recommended to listen to Dream Theater because I was heavily into Spock's Beard.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2011, 01:41:56 PM »
I mean, touring without the guy who is now their lead singer (as well as their drummer)?  I am sorry, but that is lame.  What people are seeing is not really Spock's Beard.

Not only that, but it also, at least to me, indicates that SB is not Nick's priority anymore. And I just watched one of the Mexicali videos with the new singer, and he also plays guitar and keyboard on tracks. Indicating that they must have spent a good amount of time with Ted to get everything in order. I would say that it's not going to take long until Nick announces he's no longer with SB.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
So, their set at High Voltage was bloody brilliant!

Ted Leonard did a really excellent job. Not quite the same as having Nick up there, but he was a more than adequate substitute. And frankly, it was MORE than made up for by the appearance of Neal for the last song and a half! :D

They played through most of the Light, and I was starting to think they weren't going to get Neal up, but he came out and sang the last few minutes of it, and then they played June with him, and once he was on stage Ted went and did some backing vocals. Bloody marvellous, and even before Neal came out the crowd were really into them, so I don't believe the band is in demise at all, at least not here in the UK.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2011, 05:19:32 AM »
It was incredible! I was so excited when Neal got up and did the end of The Light with them! Then he did June and just WOW.  Incredible stuff!  It was really nice of Alan to give me a name call and got everyone in the audience to say thank you Jon.   :) I was meant to meet him and the guys for a couple of beers but I was stuck at the front for Dream Theater, I rang him after but he has gone to get some food with his family.  He said sorry for not being able to meet him as he would have liked to have thanked me in person and said he saw me during his set and could tell I loved it.  He was going to meet me straight after his set but he had to go and do a signing.  He also said he's going to sign some stuff for me and send it over and hopefully meet him during the next shows they do over here.  I'd like to say a massive thanks to Alan and Spock's as they are amazing people! Thank you so much!  :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
Yeah that was really awesome of him, as soon as he said I shouted "FUCK YEAH JON" as loud as I could, dunno if you heard it. :lol

Some photos:

(My full High Voltage collection is here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.822779777502.2377399.193103036&l=ddef8208f2&type=1)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
Outstanding pics Rich!!! :hefdaddy

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
Thanks Joe! :D I was right at the front for Spock's, pretty much just one person in front of me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2011, 04:55:11 PM »
Anyone taking video?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
I did get a short vid of The Light after Neal came on stage if you want me to upload it?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
DO ET
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »
I almost agree.  I mean, touring without the guy who is now their lead singer (as well as their drummer)?  I am sorry, but that is lame.  What people are seeing is not really Spock's Beard.  What if John Petrucci was tied up for six months and DT decided to tour with a different guitar player?  I can't even imagine that. 

It really is too bad that they didn't see a bump following X, which is a damn fine album, but them now being relegated to touring without NDV and with a fill-in lead singer is just sad. 

I'd agree, except that Nick has a full time gig that is generating income for him AND I wouldn't be surprised if it was Nick who suggested the idea in the first place (I'm sorry I just don't remember how this went down when it did) but he understands that the rest of the band could use the touring money AND possibly even more than that just want to be able to play for people. They are all friends and I really can't see this situation deteriorating due to the personalities involved.

I really don't see Spock's Beard hitting the road often enough that Nick would have to make a decision like that to leave.  I just don't think you turn down a festival gig like that due to exposure.  It wouldn't surprise me if they doubled their fanbase with that one performance.

If they somehow get offered more lucrative gigging opportunities in the future, then I suppose Nick may be forced into a decision he doesn't want to make. But I don't think it's at that point yet and I don't think it will get there anytime soon.

I suppose I should offer a disclaimer that I'm an Enchant fan and that I know what Ted is capable of, but I don't really see this as anything more than a friend helping out other friends in a tight spot.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »
I think if SB were getting more gigs, more often, and selling more tickets that gigs, then NDV might not have taken up the offer to tour with Cirque. I'm sure he's having fun touring with Cirque, but to be honest, it's probably because it pays a lot more than doing shows for 300 people with SB. It's a sad truth that many prog bands just can't pack houses or tour very much, especially in the US, the Beard's very own home country, just because the costs of touring end up putting bands behind instead of ahead due to a lack of ticket sales.

I know many fans "say" they would see them, but when ticket prices come up and many of us fans don't have the money for them, it's a downer for the bands who take the time and money to tour. It's easier in Europe since a lot of the traveling is by bus, but here in the US, much of it is by plane since distances are much greater between gigs, so it gets costly.

I'm sure if SB could tour the US and make a profit, they would, but when the opportunity came for NDV to tour with Cirque, I'm sure he saw it as a chance to make more money, especially since it may have seemed that SB weren't likely to tour any time soon. Unfortunately, the chance for SB to tour this summer came up and NDV was tied down, so through a series of unfortunate circumstances, NDV couldn't make the shows and a replacement had to be made, and I'm sure Alan/Ryo/Dave/Jimmy thanked Nick for letting them go on with Ted so they could tour. I know it sucks, it would have been like if Genesis just released Duke and Phil Collins couldn't tour with them, so they got another guy. You get a good album out after a couple not-so-great ones, and you can't even tour the new music as much as you'd like, but shows come up, so you deal with it. It's win-win for everyone, really.

I really hope NDV's stint with Cirque ends next year, so they can finally tour for the X album, properly. However, if it's not in the financial cards to do so, then I'd rather see them record SB11!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
Oh very nice photos Rich!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
Yes.
Those pictures and video are awesome.
Brings back some memories.

Offline MS394

« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »
Yeah, those are some awesome photos, thanks for sharing :D

BTW, here's Jimmy Keegan´s solo at the Mexicali concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVjMzOoO8g&feature=relmfu

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
Gotta say that X is still amazing over a year after it's release!

-Marc.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
My favorite track on X is The Quiet House. What a killer bassline.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!