Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 147563 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
Guys, Wind at My Back is amazing...it would be a perfect song if it weren't for the wee bit of offness in the vocal harmonies.  But yeah, it's so good.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
I thought they did a good job at High Voltage, and the bit with Neal was magic. I do agree, though, with Rumborak, in that they might be delaying the inevitable. If NDV's interest is fading, and if they can't make money from touring OR selling records, then there's not much pushing them forward. When Neal left, I was sceptical of their future, but with the latest cd I think they're in a good place. Take NDV out of that equation and, yeah... Not much left. Of course, the remaining guys have lots of music left in them, and perhaps it would be cool to bring in some more guys and start something new. I don't know.

All I know, HV was very enjoyable (if if there were noticeable sound issues and some pretty obvious mess-ups from the band), but that was very much thanks to Ted Leonard and, even more, Neal's appearance. I'll definitley stick around for SB11, though.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
I thought they did a good job at High Voltage, and the bit with Neal was magic. I do agree, though, with Rumborak, in that they might be delaying the inevitable. If NDV's interest is fading, and if they can't make money from touring OR selling records, then there's not much pushing them forward. When Neal left, I was sceptical of their future, but with the latest cd I think they're in a good place. Take NDV out of that equation and, yeah... Not much left. Of course, the remaining guys have lots of music left in them, and perhaps it would be cool to bring in some more guys and start something new. I don't know.

All I know, HV was very enjoyable (if if there were noticeable sound issues and some pretty obvious mess-ups from the band), but that was very much thanks to Ted Leonard and, even more, Neal's appearance. I'll definitley stick around for SB11, though.

Did I miss the part where Nick said his interest was fading?

I'm not on the Spock's Beard list anymore so maybe it was mentioned there?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2011, 04:35:03 AM »
Nowhere, people are just speculating because he couldn't make the HV show. I've seen no sign of his interest waning at all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #249 on: September 12, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
Nowhere, people are just speculating because he couldn't make the HV show. I've seen no sign of his interest waning at all.

I haven't noticed a lack of interest either, which was why I was confused.

He didn't do High voltage because he's got a steady paying gig with Cirque.  If not for that, I'm sure he would have been there in a heartbeat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
It wasn't just that he had a steady gig, I think it was more that he couldn't get out of the commitment with Cirque whether he wanted to or not.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
It wasn't just that he had a steady gig, I think it was more that he couldn't get out of the commitment with Cirque whether he wanted to or not.

Exactly, and he has said as much.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »
I don't think NDV's attitude is really the issue, I think everybody understands that he can't just skip his Cirque gig for some random SB show. The question here is the implicit message people get when the main guy in the band gets replaced. Keep also in mind that this isn't a quick call "hey, you got time tonight? Drop by and sing for us". This will have been preceded by several rehearsals, all without Nick.
I dunno. I think everybody feels that SB is struggling right now; this move just seemed to exacerbate it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »
I don't think NDV's attitude is really the issue, I think everybody understands that he can't just skip his Cirque gig for some random SB show. The question here is the implicit message people get when the main guy in the band gets replaced. Keep also in mind that this isn't a quick call "hey, you got time tonight? Drop by and sing for us". This will have been preceded by several rehearsals, all without Nick.
I dunno. I think everybody feels that SB is struggling right now; this move just seemed to exacerbate it.

rumborak

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't feel Spock's Beard is stuggling (creatively) at all. I think they finally found their comfort zone with the self-titled album (Which I still think is my favorite post Neal album) and many people seem to really dig X (I like it, but not nearly as much as the self-titled).

I don't see Nick as the main guy in the band anyway. I think that the other guys in the band are just as important to the band as Nick and if anyone decided to leave that it might be the final nail.

What the band needs to do is tour and that isn't going to happen for the simple reason that they all do other things that pay more and they need to support their families, so it's a catch 22. Forgetting for the moment that touring the US even for a week at this point is probably a losing proposition these days anyway.

Sure it's a band, but it's also a group of great guys who enjoy making music together on their own terms.

So, unless they've said anything to the contrary that I might have missed, I think they are still going to make music on their own terms until they can't for whatever reason.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
Bump - because the latest SB live set just came out this week! I've had a chance to watch most of the live DVD and it's pretty fantastic! Nick and the boys have a fun time on stage playing 7 of the songs from X (with exception of the limited edition bonus track "Their Names Escape Me"), as well as some earlier classics, and a fun drum duel between Jimmy and Nick.

Great set list, nice packaging, and it's a great "send-off" for Nick, being the last NA show he did with the band. This will definitely please fans of SBv2, and for those eagerly awaiting SBv3 (like me), this will hold me over until SB11 comes out sometime this year! I really can't wait to hear what Ted and Jimmy have to offer the band, and hope to hear some more from Jimmy's backing vocals and that Ted does some playing (he plays acoustic guitar, right? I'm not familiar with him at all).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Mladen

« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »
I bought the DVD two days ago, and I'm digging it like crazy.  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2012, 05:22:23 AM »
I need to pick it up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
I need to pick it up.

AFAIK, the DVD will only come with the Special Edition, which I think is still readily available on most websites. It comes in a nice digipak with the 2 CDs and the DVD on the inside, and the booklet on the panel behind the DVD.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
As if I need something else to look for....

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
and that Ted does some playing (he plays acoustic guitar, right? I'm not familiar with him at all).

Get this one: https://www.amazon.com/Enchant-Live-at-Last/dp/B000639XT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1329686243&sr=1-1
Will make you buy some Enchant stuff, too. Great band!!  :tup
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online faizoff

« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
Got the DVD in the mail today. It's an amazing performance and so much fun to watch. The video quality thought is something left to be desired. Looks very odd. Audio is excellent and so is the video so that was what mattered to me most.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline unklejman

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Guys, Wind at My Back is amazing...it would be a perfect song if it weren't for the wee bit of offness in the vocal harmonies.  But yeah, it's so good.

Yeah, I had it playing as the recessional at my wedding.

I had a thought. What if Neal Morse joined Spock's Beard again, and Portnoy took over the drums... could probably do wonders for growing the fan base.

And when I say join, I mean participate in a Transatlantic/Flying Colors kind of way; not quit everything else (epecially Flying Colors. I wouldn't mind them being a full time band actually)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Just got the DVD/CD.  Sounds great in the car.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
It's streaming at https://www.progstreaming.com/

will be listening this afternoon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
According to recent posts (and responses to my queries) from Sonya on SB's FB page, SB11 should see a fourth quarter release, sometime between October-December. She said they had originally projected a Summer/June release, which would have been awesome to get SB's 11th album AND The Flower Kings' 11th album in the SAME month, but I guess we'll have to wait awhile longer for SB11 - and I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

-Marc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #265 on: March 07, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
I can wait. I'm still getting into the discography. X was amazing (Jaws Of Heaven is still in regular rotation.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
I can wait. I'm still getting into the discography. X was amazing (Jaws Of Heaven is still in regular rotation.)

I agree, X was pretty good and I still listen to it pretty regularly!

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »
According to recent posts (and responses to my queries) from Sonya on SB's FB page, SB11 should see a fourth quarter release, sometime between October-December. She said they had originally projected a Summer/June release, which would have been awesome to get SB's 11th album AND The Flower Kings' 11th album in the SAME month, but I guess we'll have to wait awhile longer for SB11 - and I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

-Marc.

I think it was a good move for them to put it off and not release around the same time as TFK.  It's also good for me since I need Ryo to write some keyboard parts for me this summer  :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
I forgot how much I enjoy this band, particularly the Neal era. After listening to The Whirlwind today, I was inclined to throw on some Spock's Beard, after months of Flower Kings and related bands. I threw on The Kindness of Strangers, and I'm almost done with it. Such a great album, with the first track and last 3 tracks being some of the best prog rock Ive ever heard. Such hard hitting tracks and catchy melodies. Neal writes some of the best melodies in all of music. Just wanted to express my enjoyment of TKOS, and album that seems to be a bit underrated in the SB catalog.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
I'd still say both Harm's Way and Flow are two of their best songs ever, and the rest is very solid, even if In the Mouth of Madness is a bit too quirky and silly.  Very good overall record.  Not their best, but very good. :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
In the latest Inner Circle newsletter, Neal revealed that he and his brother Alan (who got together to do some writing last fall for SB11), wrote a piece that would become SB's "Thoughts Part 3". Back in January, Randy George's studio diary revealed that Neal wrote a piece that was tentatively titled "Thoughts Part 3", but upon finding out that SB would be using the Morse Bros' writing, Neal's decided to re-title his piece for Momentum, so it looks like SB11 will have "Thoughts Part 3" on it! :metal

I really cannot wait to hear what Ted and Jimmy can do with Ryo, Al and Dave! The studio footage that popped up a month or two ago was really promising and I think I will enjoy Ted as their new front man!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Is Neal playing on the new Spock's Beard? or did he just contribute to writing like he did on X? Either way, I'm more interested to hear this than I was when X came out, due to there being more Neal influence than the last one (Nick-era SB doesn't excite me very much, X only had a few stand out tracks.)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
Is Neal playing on the new Spock's Beard? or did he just contribute to writing like he did on X? Either way, I'm more interested to hear this than I was when X came out, due to there being more Neal influence than the last one (Nick-era SB doesn't excite me very much, X only had a few stand out tracks.)

Not playing, but contributing some (co-)writing credits on the album.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
My excitement for this band without Neal or NDV is about the same as it is for a Thoughts Part 3: nil.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
I can't wait to hear the new album. I like NDV (listening to X right now) but Ted's singing with Enchant is excellent. I hope Thoughts Part 3 is as good as the first 2.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »
I forgot how much I enjoy this band, particularly the Neal era. After listening to The Whirlwind today, I was inclined to throw on some Spock's Beard, after months of Flower Kings and related bands. I threw on The Kindness of Strangers, and I'm almost done with it. Such a great album, with the first track and last 3 tracks being some of the best prog rock Ive ever heard. Such hard hitting tracks and catchy melodies. Neal writes some of the best melodies in all of music. Just wanted to express my enjoyment of TKOS, and album that seems to be a bit underrated in the SB catalog.

Yeah, The Kindness of Strangers is my favorite SB album. The Good Don't Last and Harm's Way are phenomenal.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
Neal-Era:
Snow
The Kindness Of Strangers
Beware Of Darkness
V
The Light
Day For Night

Nick-Era:
X
Octane (Special Edition)
SB
Feel Euphoria

All 10:
Snow
X / The Kindness Of Strangers
Beware Of Darkness
V / Octane (Special Edition)
The Light
SB
Day For Night
Feel Euphoria

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »
I'll have to get myself a copy of Beware of Darkness, it seems to be well liked here and at Prog Archives.

Offline 7thHanyou

Rank the Spock's Beard Albums
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
There are 10 albums right now, so that's a good, even number.  I'm curious how people rank them, especially since the Morse-era albums can be very close in quality.

I've included a short blurb on why I rank the albums the way I do.  None of the blurbs are insightful, but I felt like I needed to justify my rankins, because, again, they can be very close in quality.

Top Tier

V- There isn't a bad song on this one, and I feel like it has the most unique style of all the albums.  Their influences are evident, but their own sound shines through.  I don't even think Morse's solo career sounded quite like this.  The highlights are At the End of the Day, The Great Nothing, and Revalation (in that order), but the other three songs are a lot of fun to listen to.
X- This is the first post-Morse album I heard, and I still think it's the most focused and coherent.  It's proggy enough, but it really rocks as well with some tight compositions.  Most of the songs do a good job of developing on limited musical themes, playing a small number of motifs in different ways.  Like V, this doesn't have a single weak track.  I don't like Their Names Escape Me very much, but that's not part of the "official" release so I'm not counting it (thankfully, or it might be knocked down a notch).  Highlights are Jaws of Heaven, The Quiet House, and The Edge of the In-Between.
Snow- I'm going to say right off the bat that this is my favorite Spock's Beard album, I just don't think it's their best.  The concept is derivative and isn't evident enough in the lyrics of the songs, but I do like how the different moods are successfully conveyed through the music (The second half of disc 2 is particularly effective).  I originally liked this album just for disc 1, but after several listens, love disc 2 as well.  Carrie and Looking for Answers are great songs, but they feel a little out of place and I wish they'd at least dropped Looking for Answers.
The Light- Of course this is one of their best.  It lacks the refinement of their future albums, but in a way the rawer sound helps.  The Light is the obvious highlight here, but all of the songs are good.  Of all the Spock's Beard albums, I feel like this one boasts the most variety, but that may be in part because of the abrupt transitions between parts of songs.
The Kindness of Strangers- Like the four albums above, I don't think there's a weak track on this one.  The Good Don't Last is my favorite of the "epics," with Harm's Way and Flow also being quite memorable if not as instantly likeable.  I also think this is their catchiest and most accessible album, with the middle four songs almost having a power-pop vibe to them.  Strange World is one of my most-listened to Spock's Beard songs and, along with All on a Sunday, probably my favorite pop song from the Morse era of the band.  June is my favorite Spock's Beard ballad.  The problem is, apart from my favorite songs on this album (The Good Don't Last, June, Strange World), I don't think the other good tracks are as good as some of the best from the other albums.

Middle Tier

Octane- The epic here is very, very strong.  I like every individual track (yes, even Surfing Down the Avalanche), and it has a powerful, emotional atmosphere that's like nothing I've ever heard from the Morse era.  It's strong enough to elevate the whole album.  After that, the only track I regularly listen to is There Was a Time, which is my favorite post-Morse ballad.  NWC and The Planet's Hum are okay.
Beware of Darkness- This has The Doorway, Thoughts, and Walking on the Wind.  Fantastic.  It also has Time Has Come, which sounds like a rehash of some of my favorite ideas from the first album.  I could take or leave the rest.  Waste Away has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard in a song.
Spock's Beard- This album suffers from overload.  I don't know if I've ever listened to the whole thing in one sitting--it just can't hold my attention.  A Perfect Day is a classic Beard track, as is As Far As The Mind Can See (a worthy epic which would have been right at home on X, actually).  Skeletons at the Feast is my favorite Beard instrumental track, and Rearranged and All that's left are good enough.  The Slow Crash Landing Man and (I know this isn't popular opinion) Sometimes They Stay, Sometimes They Go are fun.  I don't like the rest.  With Your Kiss might be one of the blandest epics in this band's catalog.  There's a good 52 minutes of music I like on this album, which is more than I can say for the other two albums on this list, so it's a close call.

Bottom Tier

Feel Euphoria- Onomatopoeia is awesome.  East of Eden, West of Memphis is almost as awesome, and would be perfect is not for the last pointless minute.  Ghosts of Autumn and Shining Star are beautiful.  The Bottom Line is okay.  The rest is meh.
Day For Night- I really want to like this album, as it has two of my favorite Spock's Beard songs--Day for Night and Crack the Big Sky, the latter of which reminds me just a bit of At the End of the Day.  The problem is the rest of the album is so uneven.  None of the short songs except Skin stand out that much, The Gypsy seems to go nowhere, and the resident epic is uneven at best.  I love Lay it Down and The Healing Colors of Sound, Pt. 2, but, aside from occasional interest in Mommy Comes Back, generally skip the rest.  I have such a love/hate relationship with this epic that I actually used Audacity to cut it down to 13 minutes.  I wouldn't think of doing that with any other Spock's Beard song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rank the Spock's Beard Albums
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »
1. Snow
2. The Light
3. V
4. X
5. The Kindness of Strangers
6. Beware of Darkness
7. Feel Euphoria
8. Day for Night